Awoo.

SONIC®, America's Drive-In®

Mick

soniclogo.jpg

No, this is not about the blue hedgehog we all love so much. :) Has anyone ever eaten at Sonic? I'm very curious to know. I have one that's in New Jersey on Route 17 (I think...), but it's always crowded like a 5 star NYC restaurant. I want to eat something there at least once in my lifetime. Are their burgers good?

Yeah I've always wondered about this as well, for a long time I thought that this did have something to do with sonic, not just the name, but the logo looked a bit like Fleetways title so I always wondered if there was something there.

What exactly is the place like?

tried their food once. its good but typical fast food taste your not missing much.

its amazing SEGA hasnt done anything with SONIC fast food yet i mean cmon it fits!

I hear ya on that, goku. I have no idea why Sega has not done anything. I think they may be afraid there may be some legal mumbo jumbo and they're not going to even touch the fast food joint. I would love to see like toys or some kind of promotion. It is very appropriate.

I was on a 3 month road trip across the USA last summer with my family, there are literally no Sonic's anywhere close to where I live and during our final week on the road back home we went to a dinner and gas stop, and they had a Sonic's there and I insisted to go.

For fast food, it was good, but I think my experience was slightly ruined because I was in the middle of nowhere and all these flys kept swooping in on our food.

I have one that's in New Jersey on Route 17 (I think...), but it's always crowded like a 5 star NYC restaurant.

Ha ha ha, I know this place. I drove by there a few weeks ago. I think it's the only one in North Jersey... they've never really been up in this part of the country. But yeah, wanted to eat there ever since I heard of the restaurant years ago. I asked my friends who've been there and they say it's not too great, just basic fast food stuff. They said it's worse than most fast food they eat, but there's little parking stations so you can eat in your car, or something. I like the idea of a drive-in soda shop kind of place, but Jersey has so many diners and greasy food places as it is. If you wanted better food you could hit up any other diner, unfortunately.

You know, what you're right on that Cupcake. It's just like any other fast food. Though perhaps there may be someone who may think Sonic is better than other fast food places. We'll see.

Sad bit is that I actually do like it more than other fast food places. The burgers are great, in my opinion, and their tots go well with anything. They also have a great side item that are fried peppers with Cheddar cheese in them. Some may not find it appealing, but if there's anything that I miss about Texas is the Texas Toothpicks (not a Sonic Item just a great Texas food!). And this is the one item that reminds me of home.

But if food really isn't you thing, then you'll love the specialty drinks they've got there. Their CherryLimeaids are so fricken good, but my personal favorite is a drink called Ocean Water. Don't know what they mix together, but whatever it is it's very refreshing.

Wow, I've written quite a bit for a fast food place. :lol: But I hope this information has helped Mick!

• Thumbs Up 1

There are none around me but the commercials make me want to go.

GOOD JOB ADVERTISING !!

• Thumbs Up 1

I've only been twice, but compared to other fast food places, I do think Sonic is pretty good. Yeah, it's basically average fast food quality, but it's better than shit they sell at McDonald's or Burger King. If you have a chance to eat there it's worth it. Of course, considering where you live you probably have White Castle and White Castle > any other fast food :3

I've got the same situation as Pelly it turns out. I see a commercial EVERY BREAK but there is NOT A SINGLE ONE NEAR ME. They must have given a whole lot of thought to their advertising.

I have White Castle near me. It's in Nanuet. Yeah I'm naming some towns near me... I trust you guys won't stalk me. :P Anyhow, I believe there was a Sonic in Spring Valley, NY... :blink: However it was an illusion.

I've seen commericals for the place but I really haven't been there. I could had sworn I saw one somewhere in town. I thought it was another DQ. lol Seeing some of these posts I guess I should go to a trip there. :D

Btw off topic but I don't like DQ's drive through. They took a bit too long for everything. I think that's just the one in my town.

I see advertising for it when I do watch TV too, and they obviously do their job right since it made me interested, just there's only one Sonic's in Oregon, and it's on the opposite side of the state. I'm not going 5-7 hours out of my way to eat at a fast food joint.

Also I don't have a White Castle in my area either, but we do have this pretty good healthier alternative called called Burgerville, it's a local fast food joint which I believe only extends to Oregon and Washington, with all of their food made locally and more often grilled than deep fried but the reason I like it is they do some very creative things with their menu and have the fat and calorie count on all of their items, deliver food timely, and they are very great with their spices and sauces to make food taste better, though a bit more spendy. Recently in my area I have also seen Kentucky Fried Chicken slowly disappear and get replaced and get replaced by the likes of Taco Time and Mucho Gracias...I guess people here like Mexican fast food? Though fast food's prescience isn't as noticeable here because we have a ton of restaurants because Portland, Oregon is the biggest small business city in the USA with literally hundreds of restaurants around, lots owned by families or specialty restaurants. Fast food is alright for what it is, but I've been too spoiled on all different types of food so it doesn't seem as appealing.

Anyways, enough off-topicness for me. For fast food, Sonic's is a bit higher on the scale.

Edited by Dusk the Biohazard Keeper

I don't have any near me, but apparently there's one somewhere within an hour's drive... *shrugs*

I think saw one in Rayleigh (North Carolina) (and I probobly mispelled the name)

but this was on the way home and we where VERY broke. Dx

I've been to the one in NJ. Took about 45 minutes to get there from my fiancée's house. Was kinda disappointed; the chili-dogs we get from Stewart's are FAR superior. Kept the paper bag for a memento anyway (:

I have a Sonic's relatively close to me, and it's me and my brother's default place when we're absolutely not in the mood for anything else. Mayhaps we're unlucky down here, but the food there is meh-- nothing that you can hope will taste extraordinary like a Zaxby's plate or even an old fashioned Whopper. I hear the breakfast items are great though, but I'm never up in enough time to go try any.

The way I see it, Sonic's is really only good for their wide assortment of drinks and shakes, especially that summertime Cookie Dough Blast. That thing is mana from Heaven.

Sad bit is that I actually do like it more than other fast food places. The burgers are great, in my opinion, and their tots go well with anything. They also have a great side item that are fried peppers with Cheddar cheese in them. Some may not find it appealing, but if there's anything that I miss about Texas is the Texas Toothpicks (not a Sonic Item just a great Texas food!). And this is the one item that reminds me of home.

But if food really isn't you thing, then you'll love the specialty drinks they've got there. Their CherryLimeaids are so fricken good, but my personal favorite is a drink called Ocean Water. Don't know what they mix together, but whatever it is it's very refreshing.

Wow, I've written quite a bit for a fast food place. :lol: But I hope this information has helped Mick!

Thank you very much! I was looking for a reply like that. Very helpful info.

I wanna try SONIC fast food...yet the nearest one is 2 hours away......

I would only go to the restaurant if I get stoned and watched one of their commericals......

Like how Harold & Kumar go to White Castle.

But if food really isn't you thing,

Ha ha if food isn't your thing then you're either dying or dead, I've always wanted to try this place too, however there's none in the vicinity of New York City surprisingly. To get to one, I'd have to make an extreme hike up two states to find one, it's really sad because they air their commercials here back and forth.

Is it a sit-down restaurant or more of a fast food place?

Like how Harold & Kumar go to White Castle.

Ha ha. The White Castle they're trying to get to when they come through Newark is my White Castle. :D

Ha ha if food isn't your thing then you're either dying or dead, I've always wanted to try this place too, however there's none in the vicinity of New York City surprisingly. To get to one, I'd have to make an extreme hike up two states to find one, it's really sad because they air their commercials here back and forth.

Right? These commercials are on all the time, but I wasn't aware of my location until a month ago. Two people in a car. One says something stupid, the other guy responds. SMACK. Eat at Sonic. I dunno what kind of ad campaign that is if they have no stores, but we're all here talking about it like it's the greatest thing.

Anyways - the one Foxboy mentioned is in Jersey, like 20 minutes outside Manhattan. Inconvenient to get to, but it's closer than you said, like up in CT somewhere.

• Thumbs Up 1

Their strongest point is their milkshakes. I raged when we finally got a Sonics in my town, but they "didn't do the peanutbutter" shakes. But Banana mixed with chocolate is love. Their Chilidogs are ridiculously big too... as well as delicious.

I used to think they copy pasted the Sonic the Hedgehog logo and removed "the Hedgehog" ...because the font is eerily similar. When I was younger, I thought he WAS their mascot... but at the time, I lost interest in Sonic and never begged to go inside.

I used to think they copy pasted the Sonic the Hedgehog logo and removed "the Hedgehog" ...because the font is eerily similar. When I was younger, I thought he WAS their mascot... but at the time, I lost interest in Sonic and never begged to go inside.

Don't worry you're not alone with that. XD It seems their milkshakes really do get a lot of praise, this topic isn't the first I've heard of them... Pico, thank for letting me know that there's at least one in New Jersey, still a backbreaking hike though, and it's too bad because I'm a milkshake person. 8[

I have White Castle near me. It's in Nanuet. Yeah I'm naming some towns near me... I trust you guys won't stalk me. :P Anyhow, I believe there was a Sonic in Spring Valley, NY... :blink: However it was an illusion.

I have been to Nanuet, and that White Castle. o_O That's awesome.

Sonic is a pretty good place IMO. I love their corn dogs and their chili-cheese coneys are filling and yummy. There cheddar-bites are pretty good, too. It's probably one of the better fast food places IMO.

Yeah I've always wondered about this as well, for a long time I thought that this did have something to do with sonic, not just the name, but the logo looked a bit like Fleetways title so I always wondered if there was something there.

What exactly is the place like?

Funny enough, when I first heard of Sonic's Drive In, I thought it had something to do with Sonic The Hedgehog too.

But anyway, it's a fast food place where you drive up to a parking area, and beside you there's a board when the menu and a button you press to make your order. Someone then brings out your order to you to eat when in your car., They do have some outsides tables though, at least the one near me did.

There's a Sonic's about 15 minutes from where I live that I've been to a few times. From my experience, the food is alright. It's not the greatest fast food I've had, but it certainly isn't bad either. If anyone gets the opportunity, I suggest they give Sonic's a try and see if they like it or not.