Awoo.

Sonic's religion

Eternal_Dreamer

Well, this topic may seem very stupid but let's take a look...

"What good is a world that goes on forever? That sounds pretty lame!"

So, the afterlife is lame? I really did not like this line or this part of how Sonic was portrayed in the game. If Sonic really thinks things should came to an end, then why does he even save the world? Or what about ENDLESS Possibilities? Or the fact that he NEVER gives up? Sonic isn't the guy to compromise, but he already compromised in the Sonic and the Black Knight.

But is Sonic Buddhist? I hope he isn't. I am not racist at all, but Sonic really shouldn't be Buddhist. He was born on Christmas Island and he obviously celebrates Christmas.

Edited by Eternal_Dreamer
  • Bad Quality Post 5

I thought Buddhists were Vegetarian?

If Sonic was a Buddhist, wouldn't he decline meat-based food items in Sonic Unleashed? Like Fried Chicken, Big G Steak and Chili Dog? He seems like a full-on Omnivore.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd always thought he'd technically be considered some imaginary form of agnostic or... dissenter or something-- There's gods I suppose, they can have an effect on the physical world, and he acknowledges their existence, but he doesn't make a visible motion to follow them or inquire about a creator or existence further.

Does one have to believe in an afterlife in order to value life and want to save the world? How sad.

However, the Sonic games seem to imply a spiritual continuation of the soul, if Tikal is anything to go by.

Also, religion isn't the same as race, so whether or not you're racist doesn't factor in. He's not from our exact world, even if it is Earth, so there's no reason to believe he's Christian just because he acknowledges Christmas. Being of Japanese creation, he'd be more likely to have a Shinto or Buddhist-inspired belief system anyway... BUT the existence of Chaos Energy and the ancient echidna tribal beliefs would indicate that Sonic's world has its own systems of belief anyway.

It's kinda like trying to peg the this-world nationality of the characters. It doesn't work. We can say that Sonic is American-inspired, but not that he's American.

• Thumbs Up 2

But is Sonic Buddhist? I hope he isn't. I am not racist at all, but Sonic really shouldn't be Buddhist. He was born on Christmas Island and he obviously celebrates Christmas.

I don't see why it would matter if he isn't. He could be pagan, especially if he isn't depicted with a nativity scene, worshipping sun gods like Mithras.

Obviously in his world Santa Clause is real, no baby jesus though.

Not supporting an eternal afterlife does not mean one is a Buddhist.

I think the best word to describe Sonic would be "nonreligious". He hasn't been shown to have any religious beliefs, nor has he shown that he specifically does not believe in any religion. It's just not something that he thinks about.

Also, I think you're misinterpreting what Sonic was saying. Merlina was trying to make a world that was essentially frozen in time. Nothing would die, but nothing would ever be born or grow, either. Rather than facing up to reality, accepting that things would change, and trying to change things for the better, she tried to hide behind the empty unchanging shell of the world she knows, and drag everyone else down with her. Sonic had to knock some sense into her, get her to realize that she can't just hide in the past, and she's got to move forward, and let the world move forward, too.

• Thumbs Up 4

So, the afterlife is lame? I really did not like this line or this part of how Sonic was portrayed in the game. If Sonic really thinks things should came to an end, then why does he even save the world? Or what about ENDLESS Possibilities? Or the fact that he NEVER gives up? Sonic isn't the guy to compromise, but he already compromised in the Sonic and the Black Knight.

He didn't mean that the afterlife is lame, he said what good is a WORLD that goes on forever, aka a world without end, aka NO afterlife.

His main goal in heroism is to prevent keep the world in order, and to preserve peace.

He still thinks that the end is sad and all, but knows that it's how the world works, and drives home the point that they should live life to it's fullest in the time they have, and to make sure everybody lives that life in peace and prosperity.

• Thumbs Up 2

I hope he isn't. I am not racist at all, but Sonic really shouldn't be Buddhist.

If you're not being anti-Buddhist, why do you think that Sonic shouldn't be one?

Edited by Extaticus

I think Sonic is Sonic. He's fifteen years old and believes in adventure, kindness and kicking Dr. Eggman's fat backside into the middle of next week.

And that is that, simple.

• Thumbs Up 2

If you're not a racist, then why don't you think that Sonic shouldn't be a Buddhist?

For the last time, race and religion have nothing to do with each other. Any person in the world could be (or not be) a Buddhist if they so chose. My mother, who is Caucasian British, is one, actually.

Gotta admit I lol'd when she told me, though. Not because I disagree (in fact I fully support her and am probably closest to Buddhist in my own philosophy too), but rather because it came so out of left field when she told me she was going to meditation and chanting sessions XD; If you knew my mum, imagining her taking part in group chanting would be hilarious to you too. But that's all besides the point. If my mum can identify as Buddhist despite being born and raised in Essex with Welsh/English ancestry, anyone can :P

• Thumbs Up 1

I woudn't say Sonic an Athiest but I also can't realy see him following a certain religeon. He just doesn't seem like the guy that would follow one specific religeon or believe in one specific thing. On the subject of Black Knight Sonic wasn't saying the world should end, he's saying the world is going to end. What Sonic is trying to say is that we're all going to die and we can't realy do anything to stop it, all we can do is enjoy the time we have. I actualy thought the fact that Sega tried to touch on such a subject in a kids game very courageus on their part.

Buddhism does have an afterlife, just not the same one as Christianity. When you achieve enlightenment, you reach Nirvana and stop reincarnating.

Edited by BlazeyBakeneko

I don't think Sonic has any particular religious beliefs, though he's done battle with enough 'Gods' to know what (if any) religion was the right one in his world.

No, Sonic is just himself - he plays by his own rules, those of good and freedom.

He's just a guy that luuuuuurves adventure.

Regarding the SatBK "why did he even save the world?" thing, Merlina wasn't trying to destroy the world - instead make it eternal. A kingdom that never changes. So in a sense, Sonic actually sentenced Camelot to death, but for the right reasons.

For the last time, race and religion have nothing to do with each other.

Fine; I've rectified this:

If you're not being anti-Buddhist, why do you think this?

Happy now? :P

Edited by Extaticus

When creatures like chaos, The Babylon Gaurdian, and Dark Gaia exist, I would find it hard to follow ANY religeon in that world.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey, Sonic believes in past and never growing up. It's implied in the games. Sonic and Peter Pan are very similar characters.

Merlina was not trying to make a world out of frozen time. She was trying to do what Silver usually does. She just tried to kill countless innocents, which is why Sonic stopped her.

And Sonic does believe that things obviously shouldn't end, as shown in the games. SatBK is not canon.

And Sonic enjoys living in the past. As shown at the back of the Mega Collection boxes and how he reminsced about the good times in Sonic Chronicles.

And Sonic was not saying that everybody has to die, because there are immortal people in the Universe.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 4

He didn't mean that the afterlife is lame, he said what good is a WORLD that goes on forever, aka a world without end, aka NO afterlife.

I believe one Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church: I acknowledge one Baptism for the remission of sins: And I look for the Resurrection of the dead: And the life of the world to come. Amen.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son : and to the Holy Ghost;

As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be : world without end. Amen.

I'm gonna go with what the Christians include in their doctrine on this one. I used to recite that every Sunday.

World without end = Afterlife

Also, Christmas Island is in Australia, lol.

See, man? Sonic and the Black Knight brought the theory that Sonic is like those annoying adults that always say useless stuff like "Face reality, grow up, you can't live in the past" and rub it in people's faces, when Sonic is NOT like that. Sonic is a Peter Pan-type character and always believes in fun and adventure, thus making him childlike. Why would Sonic want his adventures end? Why would somebody want to throw their lives away in the blatant NOTHINGNESS and never return? Sonic is not like the people that would do somebody like that.

Hey, Sonic believes in past and never growing up. He likes to stay youthful. Sonic is like Peter Pan.
And you're basing this on...?

Merlina was not trying to make a world out of frozen time.
Yes she was.

Also Sonic believes in things never ending.
Some things, yes (like possibilities). Empires, people's lives, not so much.

The Black Knight is NOT canon.
And you're basing this on...?

See, man? Sonic and the Black Knight brought the theory that Sonic is like those annoying adults that always say useless stuff like "Face reality, grow up, you can't live in the past" and rub it in people's faces, when Sonic is NOT like that.
You're right, he's not like that, and that's also not what he did. He was harsh about it at first, but once she calmed down enough to listen, he was comforting her.

Sonic is a Peter Pan-type character and always believes in fun and adventure,
Acknowledging reality doesn't mean you can't have fun anymore, nor does championing adventure mean that you have to cling to the past. Hell, Sonic's whole personality is all about moving forward.

Why would Sonic want his adventures end?
What's the point of an adventure that doesn't end? It just drags on infinitely with no resolution. When Sonic finishes an adventure, he knows there's another waiting just around the corner. You can't have endless possibilities if everything stays the same.

Why would somebody want to throw their lives away in the blatant NOTHINGNESS and never return?
As compared to a life where nothing ever changing for eternity? An existence so static that even the damn flowers aren't allowed to die? I wouldn't want to live in a world like that, and I'm damn sure Sonic, a guy who's always looking for something new and exciting, wouldn't either.
  • Thumbs Up 2

See, man? Sonic and the Black Knight brought the theory that Sonic is like those annoying adults that always say useless stuff like "Face reality, grow up, you can't live in the past" and rub it in people's faces, when Sonic is NOT like that.

Normally I'd agree with you, given that Sonic was sort of mean to Merlina during their battle, what with the taunting and making fun of her. But after she was defeated, Sonic didn't keep making fun of her, yelling at her, or hitting her. He calmly explained his viewpoint in an attempt to comfort her.

I don't think it's that Sonic wants to ever stop adventuring. He probably does want to go on adventures and have fun forever. I think it's just that he doesn't want to have the exact same adventure over and over again for the rest of time.

And how is Sonic supposed to have an Adventure... if the World is to end.

If Sonic wants the world to end, then why does he save the world? Silver was trying to go back in time to prevent Iblis... as Merlina was trying to prevent her Kingdom from being destroyed. But Merlina also meant destroying others, which is exactly why Sonic had to stop her. Really, tell me where it was said or implied that Merlina was trying to create a world out of frozen time?

A life that never ends brings more and more adventures. When you die... you die. Sure, you can have adventures in the afterlife.

And why would Sonic just butt into Merlina's business if the she was SIMPLY trying to create a neverending world. If she wasn't gonna kill anybody.

And immortality is awesome. Why would Sonic want to die? If he wanted to die, he could die anytime. But he doesn't go around killing himself. He stays alive. Sonic always forward. You can still be immortal and go forward. A never ending path is always awesome. Like in Open Your Heart.

I never said anything about things changing. About Sonic not wanting new things to come in life. Of course he wants new things to appear in his life. An immortal life is to always bring new things. And since Sonic prefers to not be bored all the time, he could live in a world that remains fun TIMELESSLY. That is the true meaning of something lasting forever.

The Black Knight is not canon because it interferes with Sonic's core personality.

And how is Sonic supposed to have an Adventure... if the World is to end.

If Sonic wants the world to end, then why does he save the world? Silver was trying to go back in time to prevent Iblis... as Merlina was trying to prevent her Kingdom from being destroyed. But Merlina also meant destroying others, which is exactly why Sonic had to stop her. Really, tell me where it was said or implied that Merlina was trying to create a world out of frozen time?

A life that never ends brings more and more adventures. When you die... you die. Sure, you can have adventures in the afterlife.

And why would Sonic just butt into Merlina's business if the she was SIMPLY trying to create a neverending world. If she wasn't gonna kill anybody.

And immortality is awesome. Why would Sonic want to die? If he wanted to die, he could die anytime. But he doesn't go around killing himself. He stays alive. Sonic always forward. You can still be immortal and go forward. A never ending path is always awesome. Like in Open Your Heart.

I never said anything about things changing. The Black Knight is not canon because it interferes with Sonic's core personality.

Dreamer, you're missing the point.

Merlina was not just going to create a world where everyone was immortal. She was going to create a living hell full of demons and oppression. Death isn't a fun thing, but it's better than living forever in constant pain.

And again, Sonic said some mean things to Merlina and came across as being somewhat jerkish, but in the end he showed that he genuinely cared about her. He didn't keep hitting or berating her after she'd already been defeated.

Also, just because your life isn't frozen in the same spot, it doesn't mean that it doesn't continue. It's entirely possible for characters in the Sonic universe to die, but move on to another plane of existence to do other things, at least if Tikal, and possibly Blaze, are any indication.

Sonic never really said anything offensive to Merlina, or at least that's what I thought.

I understand Sonic stopping Merlina from creating a living hell of demons, but I mean him stopping Merlina from creating an eternal world in general. Sonic should have no problem with that as long as nobody gets killed.