Awoo.

AVP dumping ground thread

Badnik Mechanic

And console demos will go live today too.

edit: it's up on the PSN at least. Downloading so my little sister can play when she gets home.

Edited by Dobkeratops

Well I got to play the demo off Steam and well I got be an Alien and my experience was rather different. Being an alien is rather hard to get used to since running upside makes it hard. And the camera ish blurry when you look around. To top that off the other alien players weren't nice either, killing me off when I just started. :/ But the good side the good attacks and can possibly suicide into marines. XD

Btw I don't know if anyone posted it or not but there's skins, but I'm not sure if it's a multiplayer thing or not. :/ I'm still trying to write them down for ya. lol

Demo could have benefited from a Species Deathmatch mode. First time I played I was trying to team up with other marines but they kept shooting me in the face ):

Oh well, their loss. By my third game I was constantly on top of the scoreboard as a lone marine, until the host ragequit and the game ended. Might be a demo specific problem, but the matchmaking takes too long and host migration should be mandatory.

I only got to be a marine (thanks, character randomizer)... then my sister grabs the pad and she gets nothing but aliens. Ffffff. Too bad for the other guys, though, 'cause the little fucker plays some mean xenomorph.

Edited by Dobkeratops

Demo could have benefited from a Species Deathmatch mode. First time I played I was trying to team up with other marines but they kept shooting me in the face ):

Oh well, their loss. By my third game I was constantly on top of the scoreboard as a lone marine, until the host ragequit and the game ended. Might be a demo specific problem, but the matchmaking takes too long and host migration should be mandatory.

I only got to be a marine (thanks, character randomizer)... then my sister grabs the pad and she gets nothing but aliens. Ffffff. Too bad for the other guys, though, 'cause the little fucker plays some mean xenomorph.

): I don't get why teammates are going after themselves. I know it says kill everyone but it doesn't mean your team. >.< I was trying to help a comrade in need but he clawed my ass afterwords. >.< I think everyone forgot the power of teamwork... *sigh*

): I don't get why teammates are going after themselves. I know it says kill everyone but it doesn't mean your team.

That's the problem: there's no proper teams in the demo. Full on deathmatch mode only, you get points for every kill.

Your best bet with the demo is agreeing not to teamkill with the other players. Marines are meant to stick together, Xenomorphs need to work like a hive and the Predator hunts them both on its own terms. Not only your performance improves (especially if you're a marine), but you have more fun with the game this way.

For instance, I just tried the Steam demo and none of us aliens targeted each other:

0b693b6e.jpg

Much better experience overall. Plus, I also got the chance to drop from the ceiling, run up a wall and sprint leap into the face of a surprised Predator with sexy results :3

Edited by Dobkeratops

I've had the same problem. There were a couple of games where I was playing as the marine and the other human on my team joined the hunt with me (one match we were walking back to back, it was pretty epic. XD) I was playing as Predator though, following this other guy round for ages. An alien jumped out and attacked him from behind (luckily not with a grab), I killed it only for him to start chasing me and stabbing me. =X Same thing happened when I was trying out the Alien, the most deaths I had where from other aliens.

It's a fun game, but I don't think I'll be buying it. All of the three species are fun to play as, though Marine is still my favourite just for the eerie beepy radar sound. =P Alien probably second best, then Predator. The Predator series doesn't really interest me much- I just wanted an alien game where you play as Marines. 8( I used to love Alien Trilogy back on the PS1.

This could've benefitted from some kind of tutorial. I still don't know how half of the stuff works in this demo.

The matchmaking is ridiculous. Took me almost 2 minutes the first time to find a game. The annoying sound effects in the menu didn't help either, as opposed to say, MUSIC.

Even though this is supposed to be free-for-all deathmatch, why the hell is there a limit to what character class players can play as in the game? So many times I was unable to play as the Predator because apparently too many players were already randomly given that privilage at the lobby setup. Team games I could understand. But this is free-for-all.

Not that things get any better once I actually start playing. Playing as the Alien or Predator pretty much boils down to run up and punch the other guy. I might as well be playing a boxing game instead.

Due to fiancial issues I was going to pass on this games. I still am after having played this demo. The single player campaigns might be a lot more fun, but if I eventually do get this game I'm staying out of multiplayer, especially if the matchmaking isn't sped up.

Currently at 20 min and still cannot find a match from the demo.... Far from impressed Sega... far from impressed.

Hopefully it'll be like Uncharted 2, it took an age to find a game in that MP demo... then again... I think back to Red Factions horrible matchmaking system. This is appauling.

Edit: Well I finally got a game with someone on my friends list... yeah I had to invite someone the game was that bad at finding a randomer. It was quite fun, the Marine seems to be best for multiplayer right now, only because his arsonal of weapons can deal with both the predator and alien with ease. Not to mention how the motion tracker works against predators even when cloaked. But also, the Marine has a gun that can detect and lock onto a cloaked predator which came in handy (alas the demo version lacks ammo).

Edited by Casanova

Just popping in here to say that Game Informer has rated the game a 5.75/10. They seem to cite bad melee combat and AI issues, but they only make one reference to mulitplayer. People in my Steam group seem to think that the review is full of shit going by what they are playing in the demo, and Game Informer hasn't been relevant in ages.

Just popping in here to say that Game Informer has rated the game a 5.75/10. They seem to cite bad melee combat and AI issues, but they only make one reference to mulitplayer. People in my Steam group seem to think that the review is full of shit going by what they are playing in the demo, and Game Informer hasn't been relevant in ages.

I'm not going to say the game's good or bad, but it appears their main complains were that the marines play like a horror FPS, that the predator has too much stealth and that playing as an alien can be disorientating.

I repeat, they bitched about marine gameplay being scary, predators having to hide and aliens being fast fuckers that stick to the walls and ceiling.

Next up: Mario Galaxy 2 scoring 4.25/10 because there is too much jumping.

Edited by Dobkeratops

My thoughts on the demo. Well I been a fan of AVP2 for the PC since it came out and I still play it almost daily online. The demo was alright but it just felt alittle weird compare to AVP2. Playing as the alien, I felt like the alien couldn't jump well or something. :blink: Not sure if its just me but the alien got weaker in this game? :(

My thoughts on the demo. Well I been a fan of AVP2 for the PC since it came out and I still play it almost daily online. The demo was alright but it just felt alittle weird compare to AVP2. Playing as the alien, I felt like the alien couldn't jump well or something. :blink: Not sure if its just me but the alien got weaker in this game? :(

I couldn't get to grips with the alien either, it doesn't feel anywhere near as easy as it used to be when it comes to moving from wall to wall, climbing over a box was just a joke. It kept saying something like "Traverse" so you pressed the button... only for you to miss the wall you were aiming for and falling flat on the ground.

I request assistance. I have searched on many websites, Game, Game station, Game spot, IGN, Game trailers, Game FAQ's, Blockbuster, wikipedia, and even Sega's page. I've had 2 release dates thrown at me. The majority says that the game is out in the UK on the 19th of Feb, heck i even saw a poster on a bus shelter saying it was the 19th. But IGN and Game spy both said it comes out on the 26th. I'd hate to ask but does anyone have an official release date for this game? I'm desperate to play it. I haven't played an AvP title since AvP Extinction which was a bit pants. I even missed football training on Monday so i could psyche myself up for it.

I do apologize for asking such a dumb question btw. I just want some kind of clarification.

I request assistance. I have searched on many websites, Game, Game station, Game spot, IGN, Game trailers, Game FAQ's, Blockbuster, wikipedia, and even Sega's page. I've had 2 release dates thrown at me. The majority says that the game is out in the UK on the 19th of Feb, heck i even saw a poster on a bus shelter saying it was the 19th. But IGN and Game spy both said it comes out on the 26th. I'd hate to ask but does anyone have an official release date for this game? I'm desperate to play it. I haven't played an AvP title since AvP Extinction which was a bit pants. I even missed football training on Monday so i could psyche myself up for it.

I do apologize for asking such a dumb question btw. I just want some kind of clarification.

IGN would be wrong... it's the 19th as far as my pre-order is concerned. It was out in the US.... urm...yesterday I believe. Should be here in the UK come friday.

So... some people already have the game... they've been explaining Nightmare mode.

Nightmare mode potentially sounds like it'll take away all our modern comforts when it comes to games. Aparently, it has the difficulty of Hard mode... only one big difference...

No Checkpoints... No Autosaves.

You die on a level... you restart that level, doesn't matter where you are or what you're upto, you die, it's a total level restart. No idea as the moment if they consider boss fights their own level or if they'll be an end of level thing.... because that sounds quite brutal, to die on the final boss and having to restart the whole level again.

So, I've got the game.... here are my thoughts.

After downloading a patch (thats not a good sign... patch on day 1). I was able to start the game, you can play as either side to start with but with the Marine being the first choice, I went with the marine.

The game opens with a really cool CGI sequence showing Wayland thingy opening an ancient temple and being blasted by a beam of blue light (it's basically the plot of the Aliens VS Predator movie). You're now in space and aboard a drop ship, only for a giant predator ship to decloak and destroy your mothership, your dropship crash lands onto an alien infested planet and you're separted from yuor group, the mission... not clear... even after 2 levels it's unclear as to what the goal of the Marine is, at first I thought it was get off the planet, then I thought it was, regroup with the person who flies the dropship, now some woman has contacted me with a mission.

All the time theres this constant woman commander yelling orders at me and totally ruining any sense of fear and tension. Aliens Vs Predator 2 was the only AVP title I played all the way through,,, why was the Marine part so scary? Because you were on your own... this time however you've got someone constantly talking to you and it's not as scary, even the scripted bits and stuff that jumps out at you isn't scary anymore because of this constant reminder that you're not on your own.

However, the gameplay for the marine is quite strong, it's a classic FPS style antics so theres not much that can go wrong....

Predator... So I've only played the tutorial and a bit of the first stage... and I hate it.

In AVP 2 and AVP, you could move as the predator, you knew how to fire the weapons, and you knew how to do everything you saw him do in the movies, because they kept the controls simple and like a FPS.... this time it's totally different.

You cannot jump... well you can, but it's more like a human style hop. To JUMP, you must hold down a button to lock onto a nearby ledge/area, then press another button to activate the JUMP. The predator then jumps to the target location. Nice idea... but utterly dreadful in practice.

Marine combat... lord... let me tell you how this works... if you are at a distance, you can fire your guns... they'll most likely miss unless you get the auto-tracking smartgun which is awesome, because guess what ladies and gentlemen... other than the sniper rifle... there is no aim button... thats right, you can't aim your bloody guns! No method of aiming your guns, just point the cross hairs, fire away, and hope that the kickback doesn't make you miss too many shots.

So by this time, you're now surrounded by Aliens, and you have to resort to QTES! ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME! They put QTE's in a FPS!?! And you'll like this one... the QTE is the same bloody one each time L1+R1... and this isn't just a QTE, it's also a block! To which you then have to follow up with R1 on it's own which is your melle attack.

Combat is basically you fist fighting with Aliens.... does anyone remember that EVER happening in the movies? Ever? Does anyone ever remember that happening in the comics? Ever? No! Because it's so stupidly unbelievable that the human would survive it! But why keep that QTE fist fighting to just the single player... lets put it in the Multiplayer too... only now... you can use it against predators. It's only until you get to around the end of the second level do you start to get weapons that will take out enemies without the need for entering this stupid melle combat mode.

Predators combat is equally rubbish... not only do you have this fist fighting thing (only it's a lot more believable now than a human doing it.) but you have to do the following... Hold down this button to lock on and melle at range, but it'll only work at close range. Press this button to just melle. So... you can lock onto an enemy to melle.... but it'll only work if the enemy is close by.... ah... so heres my next question... why not just melle!?

The shoulder cannon... well you'll either love it or hate it. The predator has energy levels, they can only be recharged by finding batterys scattered around each stage... no longer do you have that auto energy recharge device from AVP 2. This cannot works by holding down a button to lock on.... then pushing another button to fire... or by holding that button down to charge up the cannon to fire a bigger blast. You can just fire the cannon without locking on... it won't hit anything... but it'll look nice.

However, one thing the predators do have (aliens too), a finishing move, if you stun an enemy using the.... yes... melle combat... you can finish them off with a death based move. It's quite cool... but you can take damage from other enemies during this action so be careful.

Multiplayer.... Christ... it's broken. Heres an example of just how broken it is.

A group of 7 people (including me) decided that we would try to get the 6 pack trophy... that trophy is as follows "Play any online RANKED game with 6 people on your friends list" Ok... not a problem, set up a group of 7... search for a game.

So we entered the multiplayer mode and discovered that all the game modes were locked out, because our team was too big. We had to resort to "Any match, any number of players" After 10 min of searching... we gave up. We eventually got it by splitting up into a team of 4 and a team of 3 and trying to sync the searches It worked... but... the team of 4 people could only search for teams in 1 type of game... Afterwards, we looked at the requirements... out of all the game modes... only 1 other game mode allowed you to enter with a team which was larger than 1 player... it said "You need a team with a max number of 2 people in order to enter this mode."

Someone in our group left... so it was a team of 4 and a team of 2... so, we should have found each other right? Well no... due to some idiot, when we searched a game mode at the same time... my team got this message.

"Game found, 4 players waiting for 4 more people" (the 4 players were everyone on my team).

The other team... had this "Game found, 2 players waiting for 6 more people"

No matter who started their search first... no matter what we did... the game simply refused to put us in the same match. Even after waiting for 5 min, we still found no games.

The only way to play multiplayer.... play it alone.

But wait... what about other multiplayer modes?

Well... lets just put it like this... the Survival mode? Already the PS3 leaderboards have been hacked and the game has only been out since tuesday!

When you do get into a game, it's fun, but after the frustration of finding a game, most of the joy has been lost.

It sounds like a total negative look doesn't it? Well yes, the problem is, whilst it looks pretty, in so many ways it's a step back from even the first AVP game, stupidly complicated controls for the predator, the Marine not being able to aim yet. The QTE melle style combat, I've not played as the alien yet, but if it's like the demo... God it's going to make me sick.

It's an ok game at the moment, theres a lot of references to all the movies, you'll like acting out all those Aliens/predators fantasies, but it's quite a messy game, they're gone for looks on this one rather than thought if you ask me.

I got the Hunter version, and I love it, I did an unboxing of it... and

Do they let marines block the Predator's big metal blades with their forearms?

I've not yet met any predators in the main game yet... I think thats because theres only 3, at least if the opening CGI sequence is correct theres only 3. But I don't see why they wouldn't after all, they can block the aliens big claws with their forearms, so whats some razor sharp acid resistant blades to bone and flesh?

Cas: You said that the marine doesn't have an aim button, I was just watching my girlfriend's brother playing the marine game and he was zooming in and sniping off loads of drones and aiming as if his life depended on it. You sure you're playing the game right? What version do you have?

Cas: You said that the marine doesn't have an aim button, I was just watching my girlfriend's brother playing the marine game and he was zooming in and sniping off loads of drones and aiming as if his life depended on it. You sure you're playing the game right? What version do you have?

I've got the PS3 version, as far as I can see there is no way to aim, I've pressed every button combination I can think of and nothing aims. I'll list the controls as printed in the manual.

L1+R1 = Block

L2 = Secondary fire

R2 = Primary fire

L1 = deploy flare

R1 = Melee

D-pad = weapon select

Triangle = Use health kit.

Square = reload/use switch

Circle = torch

Cross = jump.

L3 = move around/click to sprint.

R3 = look around.

Start = pause

select = scores/objectives

PS button = PSN menu.

No aim button.

The only weapon I've found that has an aim is the Marines sniper rifle, which only works by pressing L2 (Secondary fire) to enter the aim mode and then R2 to fire.

I think Sega needs to learn the importance of delaying a game when it isn't done.

Today I unlocked both the multiplayer XP trophies... during the single player campaign.... how is this possible?

Well..... earlier today I tried to find a deathmatch game.... low and behold I couldn't... so I quit the multiplayer and started on the Marine from around level 3. Killed the predator... BING! Trophy pops up.... little later on when I'm on the last level... BING! Second multiplayer trophy pops up.

After doing a bit of looking, I've discovered that the game has the most awesome bug ever, if you attempt to get into a multiplayer game, then quit, then start playing the single player.... the game thinks that you're playing the multiplayer, so all the aliens you kill, it converts the points you get in the game to multiplayer XP points, because the single player gains are so huge you can unlock the multiplayer trophies within a couple of hours as apposed to a 90 hour slog and frustration finding a game!

Mind you, the second to last Marine level... wow that was scary.