Awoo.

About those darn Orbinauts...

RedYellowBlueCR

So, I have been playing Sonic for years now, and I couldn't tell you how many times I have beat all the originals, but there's one thing that remains within them that I just can't seem to grasp. Its those darn Orbinauts.

Orbinaut.png

How its it that one would go about killing these things without getting hit? I've tried jumping at them from every angel, only to fly back and loose my rings. Please, someone... show me how its done!

Sonic's W kaiten attack in Sonic 3.

Pretty much. I think that's one of few really good uses his midair attack had in S3&K. It's the only way I know of to defeat those metal ones in Launch Base, anyway. Prior to those games, I guess it's really just a matter of cautiously waiting out the projectiles.

1. Instashield. If you don't have it:

2. Wait for it to throw its balls/flames. If it doesn't:

3. Invincibility, either mercy invincibility or the actual item. If that's not an option:

4. Avoid.

I've always liked Orbinaut/Unidus and the related robots. It's a simple design, but an effective one. It's probably the closest thing the series has to the goomba or koopa, considering how often its used and how many variations it has.

Those guys in Labyrinth are evil. You dodge so slowly underwater and there's no space to move in Labyrinth. So you're gonna lose your rings if you don't get out of firing range quick. Then while you're recoiling from the attack, you need to find an air bubble or die, since Sonic even gets hurt slowly underwater. Evil.

You can pop the ones in Star Light with invincibility. I usually only kill them while I'm blinking, after taking a hit. The green and yellow ones. My policy is to ignore them. The Launch Base ones are easily avoided, I don't even bother to insta-shield. The only one of these guys that really suck is the fire version in Hill Top Zone.

Edited by Cupcake Hedgehog

They're best avoided without the insta-shield, as even your shield (bubble etc) attacks won't work.

On a side note, I like how Starlight has no badniks you can actually attack reliably, makes a change from the rest of the game.

With all of the classic badniks returning in Sonic 4, Orbinaut had better make an appearance. I mean, in a series with so few recurring enemies, a variant on Orbinaut managed to appear in every main game from Sonic 1 to Adventure, and possibly Adventure 2. Those are some serious chops.

Those things were brutal in Sonic 1 for Master System. They throw too slow, and are encountered in the worst places. The lag from the water makes it impossible to get a kill durin mercy invincibility. Sonic 1 for Master System would easily be my favorite in the series if not for Labirynth Zone...

They're really no threat to Sonic, unless you're talking about the bastards in Star Light Zone; most of them shoot their balls anyway...

ahh i love this badnik aint they a bugger sometimes :P yep some of these have cause me problems sometimes like the ones in Starlight,and Labyrinth Zones but i didnt have much problems with the Sonic 3 versions of these like in Ice Cap use your insta-shield or jump though them while having the magnet shield power up on and Launch base zone just simply use the insta-shield to take these buggers out and the 3D Version of them in SA1 & SA2 are so freaking easy to beat ^__^

I think HighCaliburFun is referring to the Sonic 1 vesion of this badnik, in that game you had no insta-shield or other elemental shields. In Sonic 1 you can only seem to destroy them with the Invinciblity power up so it makes you feel bad for not being able to destroy them and save your animal friends.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, if you can't wait or instant-shield them, just avoid them. Although I have managed to kill the ones in Star Light sometimes without invincibility by jumping at them juuuust right...

Those Starlight Zone orbinauts can be destroyed, I've seen it done in a few TA speedruns but you need pixel perfect precision to do it which is why I've only seen it done in TAS's.

What about Tails and Knuckles? They don't have insta-shield, so how to they defeat them? Guess nobody gives a shit about Tails & Knux...

lol, to be honest I barley play those characters on the original games.

I usually just let them hurt me, and kill'em while I'm invincible xD. Then I collect my rings back. Or at least try..

Edited by MarcelloF

But you need at least 50 rings to enter the special stages. Dropping them just to kill one badnik is not a good idea. And in the MS version, you CANT recollect rings, and you lose your mercy invincibility before you can move because of the water.

But you need at least 50 rings to enter the special stages. Dropping them just to kill one badnik is not a good idea. And in the MS version, you CANT recollect rings, and you lose your mercy invincibility before you can move because of the water.

Oh, but I must have my vengeance for their existence. ninja.png

• Thumbs Up 1