Awoo.

"All Sonic games are the same"

-Mark-

Well, I was playing ASR yesterday (Wii), when my Dad walks in and immediately starts scoffing at me in a "It's just the same as every other Sonic game, you're an idiot for buying the same game over and over again" way (it didn't help his case since the first one he made comparisons to was Sonic 3D, but he's a right stubborn prat who you can't win with).

Still though, does anyone else get this (mostly from parents, since that's the main annoyance on my end)? With almost every new Sonic game I get, once my dad catches sight of it, he'll go off into lecture mode for the best part of half an hour about how "Every Sonic game is exactly the same, just with different level designs" (a stupidly paradoxical argument in itself) and that I'm "an idiot for buying the same slightly-tweaked game over and over again". It's nothing drastic, but it is a right pain in the arse at times and does kind of make me want to slap him a bit, especially when he won't listen to reason and keeps acting like a smug "I told you so, I'm so smart, you're an idiot, I'm right and you're wrong no matter what you say".

Doesn't help he seems to think that every 3D Sonic game ever made is a racing game simply because you run fast, either. I tried explaining to him that even other Sonic Racing games (namely Riders and R) have entirely different game mechanics from ASR and don't play similarly at all, but of course, he was having none of it. "You race, don't you?", before practically giving a running commentary on what I was playing, before saying "Now tell me you don't do any of that in other games".

I managed to make a pretty much airtight argument, although sadly not idiot-proof. I had to try and simplify it to using racism as a relevant example, in that my Dad's judging all Sonic/ Racing games and saying 'they're the same' whilst knowing sod all about them beyond a few minutes of watching me play them. I just find it funny that he was trying to make comparisons between ASR and Sonic 3D (he couldn't even tell ASR was a racing game at first, such is his gaming prowess), yet didn't once make any sort of Mario Kart comparison.

So yeah, according to my Dad, all Sonic games and all racing games are practically identical rereleases with a few new skins/ levels, with identical gameplay mechanics. Oh, and he'll also think a game is a rerelease of another game if it so much as reuses (or even remixes) a single tune. He used that logic to argue unshakably that Sonic Advance 3 = Sonic 1 (Sunset Hill/ Green Hill) and that Sonic Pinball Party = Sonic R (Super Sonic Racing).

The annoying thing is that, no matter how much proof you show otherwise, the biggest compromise you can argue him down to is "It's the same game with a few tweaks/ different stages" (last I checked, same game with different stages = new game 0.o), and will carry on acting like a smug prat looking down on an idiot who's been 'tricked into buying the same thing over and over' and claim that 'you're only arguing back in defence because you know I'm right and don't want to admit it'. -_-;

So, anyone else get this from irritating ignorant parents/ friends/ whatever? I'm not asking for advice here since I know there's sod all that can be done other than cringe and endure when it comes to my dad, I just wanna see if many more of you have this issue. D:

Edited by Mahzes

A simple, "if you say so" would get a lot off your back. Tho if your dad takes it as talking back, I wouldn't recommend it.

In that case, just say "I don't care" and have fun. Seriously, if you don't care about what he says on the games, it's not very much he would argue with that. But if he tries to use that as a set up for an argument about not listening to him on schoolwork, careers, college, or anything like that, then I'd personally say he's a control freak who wants to force his thoughts on you.

Of course, I'm not your dad, so who knows how that would turn out.

My Mom acted shocked a few times when she saw me playing a new Sonic game ( I hunted down the whole advance series and Battle long after they were released because I recently got a Gameboy Player ) and always said "ANOTHER Sonic game? I thought you had all of them!" as if they stopped making them...but I don't think that's the same.

My older Brother always looked at my newest 3D Sonic and said "this looks just like the last one" ...But he knew instantly that Unleashed was not. .....He doesn't know what to think of Mario Galaxy.

A simple, "if you say so" would get a lot off your back. Tho if your dad takes it as talking back, I wouldn't recommend it.

In that case, just say "I don't care" and have fun. Seriously, if you don't care about what he says on the games, it's not very much he would argue with that. But if he tries to use that as a set up for an argument about not listening to him on schoolwork, careers, college, or anything like that, then I'd personally say he's a control freak who wants to force his thoughts on you.

Well, my dad is like that, but for once it doesn't apply in this situation. He's just being a smug prat and acting like the stupid kind of kid who'd laugh at you as though you're an idiot over something, in this case apparently for 'buying the same game over and over'.

...okay, I have done that in a few cases, but still. >.>

Then again, by his logic, you should only need one game ever, because if you buy a game that isn't better than every other game you have, you've wasted your money. Go figure. D:

I'm not posting this topic for advice as such, like I said. It's just a bit irritating. I just wanted to vent and see if any/ many other people have this issue with stupid misinformed parents/ friends whatever.

Actually, reminds me of another random bout of idiocy from someone back in 6th form. I let them play Sonic Advance 2 on my GBA SP. After finishing the first act, they handed it back to me and said "It wanted me to play the exact same level again right after I finished it". D:

Edited by Mahzes

Every episode of (your dad's favorite show) is the same. Same characters, actors, setting, plot structure, they just make a slightly different story each time.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's what I said to him.

To that, his only argument was "At least I don't pay money for those". D:

Maybe your dad just likes being confrontational with you because he enjoys company with his son?

"My kid is really passionate about this Sonic person... Heck, I remember when he used to be passionate with me like that, lemme fool with him just so we can have a nice long talk and feel closer!"

Although he may not realize that it's actually pissing you off! XP

You know, I think it could actually be something similar, if not exactly.

My Dad can actually be incredibly childish and attention-seeking at times, despite being in his fifties, to the point where he'll actually do or say something stupid just for the sake of getting you to talk to him. >.>

Well, sometimes anyway. I suppose it depends on his mood, sometimes he's seemed genuinely irritated that I'm buying 'the same game' (case in point Sonic Advance 3, he honestly believed it was Sonic 1 just because they remixed the Green Hill tune. >.>)

He doesn't seem to grasp the concept of remixes though, really. When I first fired up Pinball Party, he said somewhat angrily "Don't you have a game with that music already?". D: Granted this was years back when Pinball Party was brand new, he can't really complain in the same way any more since everything I buy is with my own money.

Edited by Mahzes

Just go into a speech about gameplay mechanics, physics engines, polygon models, storylines game modes and the like; that usually bores them into backing off.

If it fails, however, try the following statements:

"You're just pig ignorant/ blind/ stupid etc."

"Do you even play videogames? Do you actually know anything about them?"

"It sounds to me like you're just jealous that you didn't have such awesome games in your childhood."

"Just because you don't like something doesn't mean everyone else has to think the same way as you; you're not God etc."

If he doesn't listen, tell him he's like a stuck record and not worth talking to. :)

I told him everything except about the game engines/ mechanics really. Well, I mentioned them but didn't really go into depth.

He's so predictable though, I can almost guarantee that if I point out all those matters, he'll just give some kind of argument about how they're all minor differences and that the core gameplay still is (read- looks to him) 'the same' and doesn't warrant 'buying it again'. D: He'd just dismiss differences in the game engine/ gameplay mechanics as 'minor tweaks that they add in to make idiots buy the same thing again'. >.> Because the Sonic Riders games so totally play identically to ASR and Sonic 3D, and all.

Like I said, he doesn't go on constantly, usually just once or twice whenever a new console Sonic game is out.

Edited by Mahzes

It only happened once to me, when I got a GameCube 2nd hand from a old schoolmate with Sonic Adventure 2: Battle and Super Smash Bros Melee. When I hit home I went to try out the console in an instant, booting SA2B first go. My mom knew a couple of days ago I'd have this deal, so eventually she entered my room to check out the new thing, only to say "Another Sonic game? But, don't you have a Sonic game already?" (referring to Sonic R and Sonic 3D on the Sega Saturn). I think I replied something like "It's not the same, this one is way different and more modern" and then continued playing as normal.

I guess I can understand these situations with adults who haven't kept up with videogames so much. If two titles feature the same characters and gameplay style (say, Mario is platforming and Sonic is running, basic interpretations), an adult could go and say that these two games are identical or near identical. They won't be tracing the mechanical and graphical settings that makes the game different from the other, but so long as Mario jumps in the first title he met and that he now jumps in Super Mario 64 a good amount would say "Hey, it's another Mario game. You have one already, go try something else!".

Suppose in these situations it's better to say "I have my reasons", or something bold yet somewhat true like "Video game industry doesn't survive by sending out copies of the same old games every single year for decades in a row". Maybe later if the person in question talks about his parents more about video games they may learn it better, though many will still find it as an useless waste of 40-50€, I guess. :P

Edited by MickX

I don't get this from parents, but I get it from a friend who is a pretty loyal Sony fanboy (for the want of a better term).

Every time I tell him that there's a new Sonic/Mario/whatever game coming out he's like "but it's crap because it's always the same". Why fix what ain't broke, is usually my response.

He's also one of these "I'll only play something with good, realistic graphics" type people who think Nintendo (and anything else cartoony) is "for babies" though, so I generally try to ignore his opinions of the games I like. :P

Edited by MK Skillz

This is what I'd do:

Bitchslapnami.png

But, anyway, I sort of know how that is. My mom is always saying all my manga and stuff is all the same, and I'm wasting money on them. I just say the storys are all different and they continue in each volume. Then I end it by saying she gives out more money on cigarettes, and that I can reread my books as many times as I want (and I do), while she can'T resmoke her cigarettes xP.

He's also one of these "I'll only play something with good, realistic graphics" type people who think Nintendo (and anything else cartoony) is "for babies" though, so I generally try to ignore his opinions of the games I like. :P

Might as well say we've started playing video games a ton of years before the Graphic Nerd generation arrived. :D

I won't really discuss further about it because I think we all know or found people who think like that (though I myself managed to get some of those playing a silly cartoony Nintendo game known as Advance Wars :P). They have their reasons, we have ours.

Edited by MickX

I only happen to come across the "the game is the same" concept only once in a while. It's usually from ignorant people or people who just dislike/hate Sonic (which is just like one of my best friends and that's how he acts about it, sadly).

But really, why does anybody complain about Sonic or Mario being the same yet nobody complain about FPSes? Now THOSE are the same games over and over, and yet the whole world loves them >_>

Sorry to hear you got a rough time for playing an awesome game, Mahzes. :(

I've never gotten the same line about Sonic games, though. I've always gotten them about my love of James Bond games (and indeed, the films too), namely the "He always wins, shags some bird, why bother?" argument. So I can see where you're coming from and I know it is one of the most annoying things to do... basically, defend the things you love to narrow-minded people who, more often than not, think themselves or their opinions better than yours in some way.

What I mostly hear about Sonic games, though, is "Why don't you play Mario instead?" and indeed, Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing has seen everybody around me give it both barrels. They attack me for supporting a "blatant rip-off" and launch into an epic saga from the early 1990s. My review addressed this far better than I am now: needless to say, I was pissed off.

Sorry to hear you got a rough time for playing an awesome game, Mahzes. :(

Nah, it's hardly a 'rough time'. X3 More like a bit of an annoyance, I'm certainly not losing any sleep over it, just sometimes feel like giving my dad a bit of a slap is all. =P

Nah, it's hardly a 'rough time'. X3 More like a bit of an annoyance, I'm certainly not losing any sleep over it, just sometimes feel like giving my dad a bit of a slap is all. =P

Don't we all...! ;)

I mean, uh... not slapping your father, what I meant to say is... uh... our father, no, MY father... :blink::lol:

That went well. :D

During my time with my father I developed a strange skill to ignore everything he says since he hasn't done anything but disaprove every decition I made in my life D: (ever since I told him I didn't want to be a police man like "the family tradition" says).

Everytime he talks to me (in a specific tone) I often hear "wahwahwahnianianiaarrggwawah" and now I recently added "SUPERHORN!". :)

Maybe you will get one of thoose someday... :rolleyes:

Edited by imarafan
  • Thumbs Up 1

Lemme guess, your dad only played the classic Mega Man games. *shot*

Too bored to look through everything, but since it seems your dad is somewhat of an attention whore, try and call him out on it. Tell him to go do something with his life and let you spend your money the way you want.

"Are you gonna waste the remainder of your life complaining about what I buy? You'll quickly find you don't have that much time to do it!"

Though a similar issue with my mom is that every time I buy a new game, she'll usually say:

"Don't you have enough? You've got like 10 games already!"

And when I talked to her about getting a new console she goes off saying:

"You already have one! Why do you need another one?"

"Can't you just get all those games on the console you have?"

I found it hard to properly explain to her, but she got the point. But the former complaint seems to come up a lot.

Edited by Black Spy

Although any confrontations I've had over Sonic games haven't been that dramatic, both of my parents have gotten quips in about them.

My dad isn't fond of the franchise, saying that ever since the Classic games you've never "had any control" and will juxtapose the series against the FPS genre. He's also shown a peeve about buying the games for me unless it's a holiday-- He indignantly called Riders crap when I pulled it off the shelf and grumbled during play that he couldn't see what was going on. He also wouldn't let me get that Sonic figurine when I was getting Sonic 06. >< Regardless, these comments were always fleeting, a little annoying, but nothing to start an argument about.

My mom is much better about my fandom, but at the back of her mind, she thinks I'm immature for buying them (as well as most other guilty pleasures and interests I partake in). However, seeing me play Unleashed made her realize that Sonic games have changed dramatically, and during a run of the final boss she said, "I guess Sonic's all grown up now." Being in my ignorant nerd zone from seeing someone actually in awe over a new Sonic game, I was about to argue that he's always been the same age. But I took it instead as a compliment.

Let's see... my dad tells me to stop buying games completely because games are a waste of money and time.

Then, he drops me off at a friend's house, stays in there talking to his parents for a second, and then he goes ahead and says the exact same thing about Call of Duty. I tell him that we're playing Modern Warfare 2, and he says it doesn't look at all different from Call of Duty 4. I tell him there are newer stages, newer features, newer weapons, and etc. He says it still doesn't look different from the previous games, and that my point is moot.

You know, MarcelloF, I think I will

Bitchslapnami.png

The funny thing is, I don't get this at all about Sonic games. While my dad still tells me to stop buying games in general, he never thinks that Sonic games are all alike. I have 3 different Sonic games for my Wii (I used to have four, but Secret Rings broke); I have SatBK, Unleashed, and Zero Gravity. Each of those games has a different look and feel to it.

Edited by OvErLoRd

lol Sonic games these days are kind of the same as each other, just like the James Bond films. Each film has almost the exact same plot outline, but dressed up differently to each other. In Sonic, world is in turmoil because Eggman created a giant monster that threatens to destroy the world (if Eggman realises that there is no world to take over anymore) Sonic and friends step-by-step make their way to Eggman, solving puzzles and fighting boss battles en route, get to Eggman, defeat Eggman, then defeat the giant monster. The End.

Yeah, but you can say that Sonic 1, 2, 3 & Knuckles are all 'the same' because they're all basically the same game mechanic, too. That doesn't mean that only one of them is worth playing and it isn't worth getting any more after the first one because they'll just be 'more of the same'.