Awoo.

"All Sonic games are the same"

-Mark-

I told him everything except about the game engines/ mechanics really. Well, I mentioned them but didn't really go into depth.

He's so predictable though, I can almost guarantee that if I point out all those matters, he'll just give some kind of argument about how they're all minor differences and that the core gameplay still is (read- looks to him) 'the same' and doesn't warrant 'buying it again'. D: He'd just dismiss differences in the game engine/ gameplay mechanics as 'minor tweaks that they add in to make idiots buy the same thing again'. >.> Because the Sonic Riders games so totally play identically to ASR and Sonic 3D, and all.

Like I said, he doesn't go on constantly, usually just once or twice whenever a new console Sonic game is out.

Then he's pig ignorant. ;)

My sister's boyfriend detests the Sonic series. But then he's the type of guy who thinks that series like Mario and Doom are gods gifts to gaming. He's one of those who doesn't take any criticism towards his fave games but is quick to pour scorn on the Sonic series despite the fact he couldn't come close to winning in a 2 player game in Sonic 2 with my younger sister, who isn't at all game oriented. Some gamer he is :P

I make my disdain for games like Mario and Doom well known, such as saying that Doom is the poorest use of pixel art yet seen in a game or that Mario is hardly ever pulled up for it's massive cast of mostly useless and annoying characters like the Sonic series is or that Mario Kart is just as guilty of unoriginality as any other kart racing game. All glossed over of course, like the Mario series is holy and undeserving of contempt whilst Sonic is fully contemptible with no redeeming qualities.

My mother seems to have a light fondness for Sonic and the series but often annoyingly says when I want a new game (Not just a new Sonic) "I thought you already own that?". I always answer "If I already onwned it, why would I be getting it?" Nevertheless, she often says in a tone comparable to admiration "How do your eyes keep up!?"

I kid you not, she even objects a bit to scenes in the games that involve Sonic getting in a pickle/getting hurt with "They can't do that to Sonic!"/"Oh no!". Of particular note is her reaction to Sonic getting caught in the explosive capsule in SA2; "What happens to him!? Does he really die!?" and her reaction to the infamous Sonic ressurection scene in SONIC '06; "Ahhhhh! they finally brought him back to life!" without professing either disgust or approval at Sonic being kissed by a human.

I admit it's kinda cool to play Sonic in the presence of my mom because she is sometimes interested in the cutscenes and watching the gameplay even if it does leave her disoriented according to her. We even have a good laugh at the Sonic and Chip vids in Unleashed :lol:

Oh yeah, and for added funny, when she plays Sonic Pinball Party on my Gamecube's GBA Player, she absolutely detests Eggman and woops in delight when she defeats him with the ball.

Edited by Verte

Yeah, but you can say that Sonic 1, 2, 3 & Knuckles are all 'the same' because they're all basically the same game mechanic, too. That doesn't mean that only one of them is worth playing and it isn't worth getting any more after the first one because they'll just be 'more of the same'.

Seconded.

Also, that's what I respect about the first four (three, if you count Sonic 3 & Knuckles as one game) titles: they knew what they were good at, and so finely honed it to make the ultimate two-dimensional platform adventure. And they succeeded. But, due to pressure to keep up with other franchises, Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island rather went and broke the unbeaten mould. So perhaps, from this perspective, 'tis good that Sonic kept it "all the same" towards the beginning of his life.

What I can't believe is how somebody could look at Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing and say "Oh, but they're all the same!" because, let's be honest, there are only two other Sonic karting games out there and they were both on the freakin' SEGA GameGear!

Well, considering my dad mistakes almost every 3D Sonic game for a racing game doesn't help, either. But how he managed to compare it to Sonic 3D is beyond me. D:

her reaction to the infamous Sonic ressurection scene in SONIC '06; "Ahhhhh! they finally brought him back to life!" without professing either disgust or approval at Sonic being kissed by a human.

That's because she's an adult.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, I was playing ASR yesterday (Wii), when my Dad walks in and immediately starts scoffing at me in a "It's just the same as every other Sonic game, you're an idiot for buying the same game over and over again" way (it didn't help his case since the first one he made comparisons to was Sonic 3D, but he's a right stubborn prat who you can't win with).

Still though, does anyone else get this (mostly from parents, since that's the main annoyance on my end)? With almost every new Sonic game I get, once my dad catches sight of it, he'll go off into lecture mode for the best part of half an hour about how "Every Sonic game is exactly the same, just with different level designs" (a stupidly paradoxical argument in itself) and that I'm "an idiot for buying the same slightly-tweaked game over and over again". It's nothing drastic, but it is a right pain in the arse at times and does kind of make me want to slap him a bit, especially when he won't listen to reason and keeps acting like a smug "I told you so, I'm so smart, you're an idiot, I'm right and you're wrong no matter what you say".

Doesn't help he seems to think that every 3D Sonic game ever made is a racing game simply because you run fast, either. I tried explaining to him that even other Sonic Racing games (namely Riders and R) have entirely different game mechanics from ASR and don't play similarly at all, but of course, he was having none of it. "You race, don't you?", before practically giving a running commentary on what I was playing, before saying "Now tell me you don't do any of that in other games".

I managed to make a pretty much airtight argument, although sadly not idiot-proof. I had to try and simplify it to using racism as a relevant example, in that my Dad's judging all Sonic/ Racing games and saying 'they're the same' whilst knowing sod all about them beyond a few minutes of watching me play them. I just find it funny that he was trying to make comparisons between ASR and Sonic 3D (he couldn't even tell ASR was a racing game at first, such is his gaming prowess), yet didn't once make any sort of Mario Kart comparison.

So yeah, according to my Dad, all Sonic games and all racing games are practically identical rereleases with a few new skins/ levels, with identical gameplay mechanics. Oh, and he'll also think a game is a rerelease of another game if it so much as reuses (or even remixes) a single tune. He used that logic to argue unshakably that Sonic Advance 3 = Sonic 1 (Sunset Hill/ Green Hill) and that Sonic Pinball Party = Sonic R (Super Sonic Racing).

The annoying thing is that, no matter how much proof you show otherwise, the biggest compromise you can argue him down to is "It's the same game with a few tweaks/ different stages" (last I checked, same game with different stages = new game 0.o), and will carry on acting like a smug prat looking down on an idiot who's been 'tricked into buying the same thing over and over' and claim that 'you're only arguing back in defence because you know I'm right and don't want to admit it'. -_-;

So, anyone else get this from irritating ignorant parents/ friends/ whatever? I'm not asking for advice here since I know there's sod all that can be done other than cringe and endure when it comes to my dad, I just wanna see if many more of you have this issue. D:

At least your dad pays attention to the games you play. My dad gets his Sonic info from parts of me and my brother's conversations. He thought Eggman's name was "A-man". *facepalm*

I'll catch him humming Sonic tunes sometimes, though.

That's because she's an adult.

Funny....i've come across people who are not adults who don't have a reaction to that scene either or who don't lean towards one extreme or the other when it comes to their reactions :huh: .

Edited by Verte

I had a friend who was like that, he firmly believed that every 3D Sonic game was rubbish and that they just kept on getting worse.

This he based on playing Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, and Sonic Unleashed. That was all, and even then he only got Unleashed because it was cheap. He claimed to have finished the game when he part-exchanged it (at the time claiming he wouldn't get hardly any money for it) but I could tell from his tone of voice that he just hadn't.

It's annoying because all the 3D Sonic games have enjoyable elements and different mechanics, some are rubbish I admit but I've never regretted buying a Sonic game and have never sold one, either. I still own them all and periodically bust them out to play them again because I enjoy the games, the series, and the feeling ofplaying Sonic (strange thing to say but there you go).

Of course, he also hated the Smash Brothers games simply because he believed "Mario" (such a stupid generic way of saying "all Nintendo characters") didn't belong in a fighting game and that it wasn't a "real" fighting game because of the percentage counter o_O And he hated Dissidia: Final Fantasy despite being an avid fan of the entire Final Fantasy series and owning all of them, much like I do with Sonic (this led to criticisms of Sonic's basic/minor "level up" functions and adventure elements for not being true RPG mechanics like in Final Fantasy...)

Just saying a new Sonic game is a remake of another because of a remixed tune or gameplay element is so redundant, that's like saying Sonic 2 is exactly the same game as Sonic 1 because Sonic runs, spins, jumps, ducks, etc etc.

Though when I was a kid, my Dad told me never to waste money in arcade fighting games and to play racing games instead, because they were somehow more worth my money...I just walked off and did what I wanted.

I had a friend who was like that, he firmly believed that every 3D Sonic game was rubbish and that they just kept on getting worse.

This he based on playing Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, and Sonic Unleashed. That was all, and even then he only got Unleashed because it was cheap. He claimed to have finished the game when he part-exchanged it (at the time claiming he wouldn't get hardly any money for it) but I could tell from his tone of voice that he just hadn't.

It's annoying because all the 3D Sonic games have enjoyable elements and different mechanics, some are rubbish I admit but I've never regretted buying a Sonic game and have never sold one, either. I still own them all and periodically bust them out to play them again because I enjoy the games, the series, and the feeling ofplaying Sonic (strange thing to say but there you go).

Of course, he also hated the Smash Brothers games simply because he believed "Mario" (such a stupid generic way of saying "all Nintendo characters") didn't belong in a fighting game and that it wasn't a "real" fighting game because of the percentage counter o_O And he hated Dissidia: Final Fantasy despite being an avid fan of the entire Final Fantasy series and owning all of them, much like I do with Sonic (this led to criticisms of Sonic's basic/minor "level up" functions and adventure elements for not being true RPG mechanics like in Final Fantasy...)

Just saying a new Sonic game is a remake of another because of a remixed tune or gameplay element is so redundant, that's like saying Sonic 2 is exactly the same game as Sonic 1 because Sonic runs, spins, jumps, ducks, etc etc.

Though when I was a kid, my Dad told me never to waste money in arcade fighting games and to play racing games instead, because they were somehow more worth my money...I just walked off and did what I wanted.

That's what I said to him.

To that, his only argument was "At least I don't pay money for those". D:

And to counter that tell him that he actually does pay to watch them. About a third of each episode is interrupted with commercials and if it's on cable he has to pay a monthly fee to watch the channel. He also would have to buy the episodes on dvd/bluray/ondemand etc. if he wants to watch them whenever he wants the same way you could play any of those "generic" Sonic games whenever you want.

Dude.

Tell your dad to shut up. If he wants to see the "same game" over and over then he can go and play the main series of Pokémon. (Sorry Pokémon fans, it's just an example! I love Pokémon as much as you do, ok? Please don't shoot me ;.; )

My dad is also a Sonic fan, and I my mum likes the hedgehog too. (She played SASASR for a bit today :o)

In fact it's my dad's fault I'm a Sonic fan <3~

So he understands, as a gamer himself.

(He was chosen for one of the first Quake clans. That's how awesome he is. <3~~)

My Dad actually played the Master System Sonics, as well as Sonic & Knuckles on the Mega Drive. He never got into the 3D games though.

To be honest I think he just wants something to complain about and claim superiority/ insult me over. =P

Me and my friend have a running gag like this. He says he dosen't like Sonic even though he has only ever played the Sonic 2 special stage on the internet or something, and I say I don't like Halo even though I've never played it. It's more joke between us than anything, considering we've hardly the games at all. As for my parents, my mom dosen't like video games in general, so yeah. My dad dosen't mind Sonic though. He actually used to own Sonic 1 on the Genesis, although he told me he could never get passed Marble Zone. I don't blame him either, it can be a darn hard Zone if you don't know where all the secret passages and 1-ups are.

yeah, I have to agree with Daisuko on that one. Pokemon games are the repetitive ones.

My Dad's a gamer so I don't get issue from him. XD (and my mom didn't care, and anyways, she's disappeared to who-knows-where now. XD)

Plus, he actually developed a fondness of Sonic. XD (And he adores Omega and wants a game starring him. XD)

and I have no idea what my Grandparents think.

all I know is that my bro enjoys the games (mostly the classics)

I don't know, my Dad doesn't do this with me at all. None of my parents do. I think there was a period where they were wondering why I was still playing Sonic games, or games that looked retro etc, but in the end they just chalk it up to the fact that I play just about anything haha. My Dad goes as far sometimes to even tell me that he saw a new game out over the phone, even though I've known about it for a while haha. But yeah, my parents don't think its the same game everytime. My Dad for example likes racing games and shooting games anyway, and as long as its an improvement over the last one he has played he likes it :D!

How the hell are all Sonic games the same?!?! If anything, the problem is that they're all too different. In one game, Tails is riding in a mech, in another, Sonic's on an airboard; in one game, Sonic's a werehog, and then he has a sword; in one game, Shadow swears and shoots things......um, yeah.

Not to mention, the environments look different in almost every game: Sonic Riders has a futuristic/steam-punk look, the storybook series looks very medieval/Saudi Arabian, Sonic Unleashed takes place in different countries....

I think we get the picture.

Edited by EXshad

I think parents are just tired of seeing the same character.

If they see Sonic, chances are they think its the same game from almost 20 years ago.

My parents said something similar to "don't you have enough of this sonic thing" when I first asked them for Sonic Adventure 2, when all we had were the first 3 Sonics. :lol:

Edited by KoolKojoS

I think parents are just tired of seeing the same character.

If they see Sonic, chances are they think its the same game from almost 20 years ago.

My parents said something similar to "don't you have enough of this sonic thing" when I first asked them for Sonic Adventure 2, when all we had were the first 3 Sonics. :lol:

Now that's something we can all agree with...!

When I was living back home as a kid, I had entire birthdays with certain "bans" on them: I always had "too much" of things like Star Wars or Sonic the Hedgehog or whatever. It was only moving away from home and heading to university that allowed my collection to expand. Now, having said that, I'm living with my father at the moment and he usually keeps quiet, but sometimes? I can just sense the disapproving look burning into the back of my skull...! That, or he'll jokingly say "You're such a geek," to which I laugh.

Mostly because I am! :lol:

• Thumbs Up 1

Dude.

Tell your dad to shut up. If he wants to see the "same game" over and over then he can go and play the main series of Pokémon. (Sorry Pokémon fans, it's just an example! I love Pokémon as much as you do, ok? Please don't shoot me ;.; )

No offense, but thats not a very good argument. Sure, Pokemon is repetetive, but its not like only one series can be repetetive. And, for it to somewhat work, his dad would have to be a Pokemon fan. Other wise, he could just say "So what?" and wouldn't need to defend it.

Now, don't get me wrong, I do agree with you on Pokemon being repetetive!

But, I can also see how people would say Sonic is repetetive, even if I don't agree with it. The main gameplay is still run fast, jump, get to goal. Taking only those three main factors of gameplay, without thinking about special feature, such as being in mech, it is the same.

However, this can be said about all platformers.