Awoo.

Classic Fans - were we specific enough?

Thirsty Pocket

So, this obviously directly relqtes to Sonic 4, but applies to past and ruture games, and actions of the fanbase, so I can't tell where this belongings.

Basically, I was wondering... a giant chunk of the fanbase has been begging for a classic Sonic ( 2D or otherwise ) for some time. We usually say just what we think makes a classic game. Things commonly said are "just Sonic" or "Sonic Tails & Knuckles" . "Robotnik is the final boss" "colorul levels" "badniks", "Simple story" ect. Im sure at least some of this got to Sega's ears. ...but now that a return to classics is on the way, I noticed people getting all kinds of specific about things I never thought about before. But why now? Did anyone consider, and speak out in such great detail, earlier on in our desire for a new classic? Or is the fact that we couldn't get super specific until only recently, just in my head.

I reckon the fanbase is just never happy and always wants to complain about something. D:

SONIC 4 WILL BE SHIT BECAUSE OF GREEN EYES, and all that.

Well, I was thinking more abot legitimate specifics, like Badniks that were actually new, no boost pads, ect. People were always saying some little details about what a classic was, until the Sonic 4 announcement. Then all of a sudden everyone was a professor of Classic Sonic, and the difference between it, Advance, Rush, and Rehashes.

EDIT: guess I wasn't ...specific enough!

Edited by Lando The Bat

I've always said what I felt about the classics and never held back as to what I personally feel were the classics.

But as long as this game continues doing what its doing it's looking pretty decent for me, sure it doesn't check all the boxes to be worthy of the suffix "4", but to a classic fan the fact that SEGA have a least listened and acted upon classic fans wishes is something in itself, and I'm sure this game will be at the very worst, at least an ok homage to the classics and a damn sight better than most of the Sonic we've had recently.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it's simply people expect perfection but never remember that most of the old team are gone, so it's not going to be perfect, especially no first time. Don't expect so much, chaps. Rehash sucks a bit, but it is attempting to draw in former fans as well via nostalgia. The important part is the physics and level design (and music to a degree, I wished they hadn't gone for 16 bit style music with HD graphics as it seems jarring).

• Thumbs Up 1

All I wanted was a decent 2D Sonic game in a similar vein to the originals.

SEGA delivered (by the looks of things so far).

I believe that I was specific enough! :P

I always thought part of the problem was moreso that the classic fans often come up with demands that are either unreasonable or outright fucking stupid. But mind you, this as well as the "not being specific enough" bits are hardly exclusive to nostalgiafags - hell, it arguably does worse with the modernfags. Though, another problem is that fans have trouble even realizing when their suggestions are put into practice, and like already mentioned, they prioritize bitching over the most petty and meaningless of details over acknowledging that Sonic Team are at least trying to do what's asked of them, or confessing they were wrong about said suggestion actually being a guarantee of quality.

Of course, I've already been into this sort of subject and even wrote a big fucking article about it a while ago - I feel this is the most relevant bit:

Here's four reasons why Sega/Sonic Team shouldn't listen to you:

1. Fanservice alone doesn't improve the quality of an already crap game.

2. Sonic Team has a habit of twisting fan demand into unusual and nonsensical directions - a trend which should've been obvious the moment Shadow was resurrected.

3. Nowadays there is a massive gap between nostalgia-themed games and entries designed with modern intentions, making it completely impossible to make a universally acceptable game based off your word alone.

4. Because you're most likely a complete moron with no game design experience of any kind and no understanding of the possible repercussions your actions would have on the franchise.

• Thumbs Up 2

So, this obviously directly relqtes to Sonic 4, but applies to past and ruture games, and actions of the fanbase, so I can't tell where this belongings.

Basically, I was wondering... a giant chunk of the fanbase has been begging for a classic Sonic ( 2D or otherwise ) for some time. We usually say just what we think makes a classic game. Things commonly said are "just Sonic" or "Sonic Tails & Knuckles" . "Robotnik is the final boss" "colorul levels" "badniks", "Simple story" ect. Im sure at least some of this got to Sega's ears. ...but now that a return to classics is on the way, I noticed people getting all kinds of specific about things I never thought about before. But why now? Did anyone consider, and speak out in such great detail, earlier on in our desire for a new classic? Or is the fact that we couldn't get super specific until only recently, just in my head.

Actually, i think a lot of people were indeed very specific about what they wanted from a classic-style game long before Sonic 4 was announced. And probably the thing these people stressed the most was that they wanted a game with the physics of the classic games, with style and graphic being of lesser importance. This was/is certainly my train of thoughts. I want a game that plays similar to the classics; whether it looks like them isn't really important.

And sadly, it seems that Sonic 4 will in fact not even attempt to recapture the physics of the Mega Drive games, but instead go for a more Advance/Rush-inspired style. Not that the Advance and Rush games were bad mind you, but why even call the game Sonic the Hedgehog 4? <_<

• Thumbs Up 2