Awoo.

PS3's are fixed. It's alive! MUHAHAHA!

Badnik Mechanic

So I was just playing MAG, all of a sudden the game freezes and I have to do hold down the power button to restart on my PS3.

Logged back into the PS3 and noticed that the date and time were both wrong. Tried to sign into the PSN, and I get this warning Error 8001050F.

Restart the system, same warning. restart again, same warning.

Decided it was a PSN error so attempted to play Aliens Vs Predator OFFLINE. All of a sudden I get this warning Error 8001050F.

So a little worried I googled that error code... aparently thousands of PS3 users are getting this error warning and it's preventing people from playing games both online and offline. Not only that, but any trophies that were earnt during this time will not sync with the server and in some cases entire lists have been wiped.

So far my trophy list looks ok *Crosses fingers* But I can't play anything online, and I can't play anything offline, even games stored on my PS3's HD they just won't load up. When I turn the thing off, it shuts down in a strange manner.

Has anyone here got this problem on their PS3 systems too? If so, have you found a way around it?

Joystiq

Edit:

Sony have spoken out, there is a problem.

Sony have spoken out. They are aware of the problem

Edited by Casanova
  • Thumbs Up 2

Might want to put a big "Don't connect to PSN" warning in the thread title:

Note to everyone: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CHECK IF PSN IS WORKING OR NOT. Wait for an official word on the fix.

Taking this gamble has a high probability that your PS3 will:

1. Erase the trophy information;

2. Give you error for certain PSN syncing games;

3. Reset the PS3 date;

4. Mess up everything you downloaded from PSN (including themes).

Some games won't work offline either.

Sony's Twitter:

We're aware that many of you are having problems connection to PSN, and yes, we're looking into it. Stay tuned for updates.
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't think that the problem is the PSN itself, I think it's firmware.

A couple of people who have an older PS3 that they've not had on for months nor connected to the internet are also reporting that they've got issues with theirs, the dates are totally messed up. That would hint that the issue is with firmware and not the PSN, otherwise those older PS3's should be working pretty much fine.

• Thumbs Up 1

I noticed this about half hour ago, I played some people on ASR Xbox 360 and then tried to sign into PSN for PS3 ASR races but couldnt connect, checked the official PlayStation Europe forums and saw people complaining there. Is it scheduled maintennance or an error on Sony's side?

EDIT:

You answered as I was posting :lol:

I noticed this about half hour ago, I played some people on ASR Xbox 360 and then tried to sign into PSN for PS3 ASR races but couldnt connect, checked the official PlayStation Europe forums and saw people complaining there. Is it scheduled maintennance or an error on Sony's side?

It's definately Sony's problem, from what I've been reading it sounds like firmware, it does seem odd how this has suddenly kicked off at the end of February... Hang on? Diddn't something like this happen last year? Those Microsoft MP4 players, didn't they all shut down at the end of February because they didn't code the dates right?

But I'm keeping my PS3 off until this issue resolves itself in some way, I don't want to risk loosing data, especially purchased stuff... and I think I would get rather angry and loud if my trophies were stolen from my cabinate.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, now I'm glad that my school's server went down for most of today. I definitely would've been caught with this issue. From what I've read on the PS forums it only seems to affect the older fat models, slims are still working fine for now.

A devious ploy from Sony to boost slim sales maybe? :P

Edited by Dat Kool Bat Guy
  • Thumbs Up 1

I got signed out of the PSN, so I reset LittleBig Planet, and when I did, my character was missing costume bits. I tried fixing it, but they told me I didn't own the DLC on the costumes I saved. They also forbid me from editing any levels that have DLC in it. All my DLC is just... gone.

• Thumbs Up 1

I turned off my PS3 before all of this started and I was just about to turn it on and saw this topic. Now Im playing my WII until I hear word of a fix.

Interestingly enough, while I had noticed that PSN wasn't working, because I was fighting my PS3 to the death trying to get PS2 games to work properly I only now noticed that my PSN games aren't working either (which is why I think it is a firmware issue as well. I've never had to be connected to the internet to play Super Turbo HD before).

Oddly enough, Gran Turismo HD is still working fine for me, for whatever reason, whereas nothing else is.

Edited by Tornado

I got signed out of the PSN, so I reset LittleBig Planet, and when I did, my character was missing costume bits. I tried fixing it, but they told me I didn't own the DLC on the costumes I saved. They also forbid me from editing any levels that have DLC in it. All my DLC is just... gone.

People are losing all sorts: saves, themes, DLC, downloadable games, trophy data, this is a bit of a major fuck up.

• Thumbs Up 1

..I haven't been affected at all.

I just finished playing my first race online in Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing.

It can't be a hack. If it is a hack it's been in the works for months. People who have older ps3's that don't have net access or that hav'nt been connected for months also have the problem upon startup.

• Thumbs Up 2

Welp, apparently 250GB Slim Models are unnafected, but a Sony Dev is reporting an unconnected (to the net) Debug machine is having the same issues. It seems like it's a firmware problem, and judging from the Sony Twitter, it's a mess that's going to take some time to fix.

PSN trouble looks potentially messy since my debug's not been Net connected and it's out too. Probably not a quick fix.

— GarnettLee (@GarnettLee)

March 1, 2010

EDIT: Okay people, interesting topic time. Here we have the Fat PS3's, all locked out of internet access because of this faulty firmware. THEY CANNOT CONNECT TO THE INTERNET.

Question: How is this fixed? How do you deliver a firmware update to fix the issues if the Fats can't even connect? Replace every BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE Fat PS3? Hmmm...

Edited by Cake

I've been looking around and it seems this has been building up. People were getting similar errors (8002AA08 instead of 8001050F) earlier in the week, and then this bomb happened.

• Thumbs Up 1

Y'know, if it turns out that the FATs can't connect and as a result be repaired, and each one has to be replaced with a SLIM PS3, well... I wonder what this could do for Sony as a company this generation? Not to mention the effect such a catastrophe would have on the already skeptical crowds in regards to an all-digital gaming front as introduced by the PSP-GO.

EDIT: Linking to the Kotaku article, which in turn links to NeoGAF where apparently the consensus is a calendar issue in Pre-war the FAT PS3s causing the issue. http://kotaku.com/5482328/ps3s-suffering-from-global-network-lockdown

Edited by Cake

Quite frankly, this couldn't have come at a worse time for proponents of digital distribution. First the Microsoft scandal of a couple of weeks ago and now this? And as far as Sony goes, if the worst case scenario plays out and it turns out that Sony will need to replace all phat PS3s than they will be looking at a class action that will put even RRoD to shame.

As an aside, I just thought of something: the Sony website was going under scheduled maintenance earlier today (around 4-5 PM) when I was looking for troubleshooting documentation. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but now I wonder if this nastiness has anything to do with that? It was only a couple of hours before everything blew up.

Edited by Tornado

I've been looking around and it seems this has been building up. People were getting similar errors (8002AA08 instead of 8001050F) earlier in the week, and then this bomb happened.

Well shit. I was wondering why I kept getting logged out PSN while I was playing Demon's Souls a few weeks ago. Logged out during boss fights no less >_>. I assumed that my router was the problem.

Quite frankly, this couldn't have come at a worse time for proponents of digital distribution. First the Microsoft scandal of a couple of weeks ago and now this? And as far as Sony goes, if the worst case scenario plays out and it turns out that Sony will need to replace all phat PS3s than they will be looking at a class action that will put even RRoD to shame.

That T-Mobile Sidekick server crash?

Also, christ that's a lot of comments in the kotaku article!

Edited by Light

That T-Mobile Sidekick server crash?

Huh?

Edited by Tornado

I don't exactly understand maybe someone can explain this to me (don't, it's pointless). So I heard about this hell breakin gloose earlier today and well my ps3 has been on all day no problem, I turned it off a few minutes ago. And curiosity got the best of me so I turned it back on, it signed in and nothing out of the ordinary happened. Do I have to try to play a trophy supported game in order for the error to occur? Well whatever, it's widespread so I'm just gonna be cautious and use it for blurays.

And to think I made a drawing in ar tclass mocking the "IT ONLY DOES EVERYTHING" advert.

PS3

IT ONLY

Fucks Up

Edited by Sabrac

Yeah. I haven't heard of any recent Microsoft scandals other than that one.

At the beginning of this month, Microsoft announced that they will shut off all of the servers for the XBox in April. This caused an uproar by itself, but an even bigger one happened when it was found out that all of the DLC for all of the games on the system was removed before the announcement was even made. It essentially destroyed any consumer confidence that Microsoft had built up in digital distribution.

The DLC coverage got drowned out for the most part by the wars between the people who still play Halo 2, Chaos Theory and Third Strike online and the complete assholes who decided that the former shouldn't be allowed to do so anymore because those games are "totally old," but the end conclusion was obvious: You don't own that stuff you paid for. You are merely renting it.

Edited by Tornado

At the beginning of this month, Microsoft announced that they will shut off all of the servers for the XBox in April. This caused an uproar by itself, but an even bigger one happened when it was found out that all of the DLC for all of the games on the system was removed before the announcement was even made. It essentially destroyed any consumer confidence that Microsoft had built up in digital distribution.

The DLC coverage got drowned out for the most part by the wars between the people who still play Halo 2, Chaos Theory and Third Strike online and the complete assholes who decided that the former shouldn't be allowed to do so anymore because those games are "totally old."

I was going to get Halo 2 and a friend's 360 just to play Halo 2 over the internet (my parents don't trust online sellers), but now that plan's down the crapper.

Anyways, I'm getting off topic.

This makes me glad I don't own a PS3. (But as soon as this is fixed, I'll go back to begging for one.)

All those years of RRoD bashing even after RRoD had become a non-issue has come back to bite us in the ass, HARD. Ain't karma a bitch?

Edited by Dat Kool Bat Guy