Awoo.

PS3's are fixed. It's alive! MUHAHAHA!

Badnik Mechanic

I was going to get Halo 2 and a friend's 360 just to play Halo 2 over the internet (my parents don't trust online sellers), but now that plan's down the crapper.

Anyways, I'm getting off topic.

This makes me glad I don't own a PS3. (But as soon as this is fixed, I'll go back to begging for one.)

Every online console faces a problem such as this sooner or later. The 360 servers went down during christmas of 2008 due to a high traffic of new XBL members for about 2 days. Given Microsoft compensated the users (i think). I was a bit surprised when my ps3 wouldn't log-in, but after reading up on it a bit I wasn't as surprised. I just really hope that if it is a firmware issue, it can be fixed without having to send the ps3 to Sony or w/e.

Well damn this sucks. Fortunately Mollfie and I have a slim of just a month or so old, but I'd hate for something like this to happen to my Wii, so my sympathy goes out to you guys. 8( Hope they fix it soon.

Ahhh Sony, your history with thePS3 isn't looking so good atm :B

This kind of thing could be either Firmware OR a server issue, and I doubt Sony will want to openly admit (again) they fucked up their consoles :V

Edited by DarkOverord

Sony make public announcement!

300px-JP-DennisNedry1.jpg

"So..... Yes, your PS3 is now fucked due to a clock error, sorry about that."

Dilophosaurus.jpg

"Hmmmmm"

1300181431.jpg

Its still not sorted? Good thing I'm a multi-platform owner. I wonder how the people round the world who have bought a PS3 today feel? :-/ I imagine they'll think they're doing something wrong setting it up and they'll be adding to Sony's swamp of phone calls.

Wow, this is actually much worse than it sounded to me at first... urk, really sucks for all you Phat owners :S How the hell could they let something so major happen...

I own a Slim but I'm still pretty scared about the possibility of it affecting me too, so I don't think I'll connect to PSN for a while. Thanks for the info SSMB~.

At the beginning of this month, Microsoft announced that they will shut off all of the servers for the XBox in April. This caused an uproar by itself, but an even bigger one happened when it was found out that all of the DLC for all of the games on the system was removed before the announcement was even made. It essentially destroyed any consumer confidence that Microsoft had built up in digital distribution.

The DLC coverage got drowned out for the most part by the wars between the people who still play Halo 2, Chaos Theory and Third Strike online and the complete assholes who decided that the former shouldn't be allowed to do so anymore because those games are "totally old," but the end conclusion was obvious: You don't own that stuff you paid for. You are merely renting it.

Wait, am I misunderstanding, or was DLC erased from consoles? Or was just the ability to download it removed before online for the XBox was? Because your renting comment implies that it can't be used by people who bought it.

I retract the statement in my last post. It happened to my PS3 too.

Right after I posted yesterday I turned my PS3 on and off and got it, and today when I turned it on this morning all the trophies for Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing I earned were gone.

Oh fuck. This must have been why my SaSASR trophies, all my themes and such got deleted and I haven't connected to the Internet with it in WEEKS.

I thought the date and time had been reset because I'd turned it off wrong or something, I sometimes get the start-up message because my little bro has a habit of turning it off at the wall before actually turning it off.

Fuck, what does this mean then? I don't have 300 quid to buy a slim and I bought my PS3 over 2 years ago and don't have the reciept anymore D=

EDIT: Just checked LBP and yep, all the DLC is gone and ultimately all the created levels. Same for all my downloadable games, and I have a fair few!

Fucking hellllllllllll >=(

Aparently dev debug consoles also have it, so no PS3 games are currently being made.. WOO! What a day.

This is a complete and utter bloody manchested united supporting puff of a disaster! It's been nearly over 16 hours since all this started and Sony's updates on the situation are pathetic and no fix has yet been said. I smell lawsuits a mile off and people rining the Sony call centres in droves if this doesn't get resolved soon.

Also about trophies... all PS3 trophies are stored on the server, chances are they're still there, once it's fixed (if it'll ever be fixed) just sync your console to the server and they should pop up next time you play the game.

1300181431.jpg

onlys someone needs to replace ED-209 with a PS3.

It's a shame that it hasn't been fixed yet,

Edited by Casanova

Piss... just ranted about this in the Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing topic! :angry:

I'm never, ever connected to the internet and suddenly a clock error screws me over?! What's so special about 01/03/2010 that destroys all consoles across the globe? And d'you know what the worst thing is? To try and fix my PlayStation3, I connected it to the damn internet and tried to set the time and date from there... so if there is an online virus-y thing, my attempts to fix everything might have been what infected me in the first place!

My console is an older one, 40GB with nothing downloaded from the PlayStation Network (save my Sonic Unleashed patch, which is still there).

All I've lost are my XBM records of Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing trophies, thank Jebus. I can get those all again in a weekend. And they're still registered in the game itself, under the Licence sub-menu, so I've gotten off relatively lightly. For now, too, my time and date (which I eventually reset manually) seem to be holding and not "doing a TARDIS on me".

But how the heck can something like this infect my console when it isn't connected to the internet? :blink:

I've kept my PS3 off all day because of this, mine will be quite prone to it being an original 60GB model. I turned it on once about midnight to play some ASR but couldnt connect to PSN and tried it once this morning and couldnt connect so I've left it turned off since. All my data appeared to be fine this morning so hopefully leaving it off until this problem is sorted should mean I wont have lost anything.

Feel bad for you guys that have lost data etc... :(

One question that doesnt seem to have been brought up, will this affect PSP's since they can connect to PSN with the PS Store? Not sure if online games on PSP use PSN as their server but I imagine so. Do PS2 online games use PSN? If so would they be affected?

If the calendar/clock thing is the problem then I imagine PSP's and PS2's will be fine but I'm going to leave them off incase :lol:

EDIT: What about the official PlayStation website which also lets you connect to PSN from your PC?

I'm guessing that unless I find some proof of purchase I'm stuck with a huge as fuck paperweight?

Also Cas, because I haven't been on PSN in so long I don't think there's anyway I can get my trophies back...

But what about DLC for well... anything? How will people be able to get that back if the console insists that you aren't authorised to use it.

I'm just glad I didn't redeem my Ryo-F code yet...

I'm guessing that unless I find some proof of purchase I'm stuck with a huge as fuck paperweight?

Oh bollocks... I trashed my proof of purchase about a year ago! I regretted it then and, sure as Eggman is Eggman, I'm regretting it now! :angry:

Shadzter, sounds like you did everything I did (save actually connecting to the internet/attempting to connect to the PlayStation Network) so fingers crossed that your data remains intact. Like I say, I seem to have gotten off quite lightly too, so won't go ranting and raving too much. Others have lost so much more and I'm deeply sorry for them.

My PlayStation3 developed an internal fault about a month after I purchased it, meaning I had to reformat the internal harddrive and I lost saved games and trophies then, too.

Today: "Oh, not again?!!??!!"

But how the heck can something like this infect my console when it isn't connected to the internet? :blink:

Because it's not a PSN error, it's something thats on the original hardware. Be it firmware or just something that some bozo forgot to put into the bloody things. Last night it certainly looked like a PSN error because it was hitting people at different times and most of them were connected to the PSN at the time.

Any PS3 console that falls into the phat catergory is affected, it doesn't matter if they've never once been activated, the moment you start them up and set the date, the thing will crash as it's a factory error thats been on the PS3's since launch.

Still it could be worse... you could be this guy.

But what about DLC for well... anything? How will people be able to get that back if the console insists that you aren't authorised to use it.

In the event that your console dies, this being anything, it just breaks, you can get your DLC back, but you need to contact Sony and ask them to deactivate your PS3 unit. You can then get your DLC returned to you.

Now with regards to this situation, because the slim PS3's are still working and people are online with them. It would mean that the service that records this data is still live. So anything you downloaded, or synced with the server will still be there when you log back on.

Edited by Casanova

Because it's not a PSN error, it's something thats on the original hardware. Be it firmware or just something that some bozo forgot to put into the bloody things. Last night it certainly looked like a PSN error because it was hitting people at different times and most of them were connected to the PSN at the time.

Any PS3 console that falls into the phat catergory is affected, it doesn't matter if they've never once been activated, the moment you start them up and set the date, the thing will crash as it's a factory error thats been on the PS3's since launch.

Still it could be worse... you could be this guy.

True. :D

So the slimline PlayStation3 consoles are still operational (well, mine is too, but I mean properly and fully operational)...? Sounds like an excuse to upgrade, personally.

What a pisser, though. Three days after Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing is released? I can think of a better time for this to happen.

Heh, so theoretically if you had set the date to 28th Feb 2010 three years ago your PS3 would have died when the date changed to March?

So fucking pissed off that I can't get a replacement though, Microsoft replaced my brothers 360 without a reciept!

Heh, so theoretically if you had set the date to 28th Feb 2010 three years ago your PS3 would have died when the date changed to March?

So fucking pissed off that I can't get a replacement though, Microsoft replaced my brothers 360 without a reciept!

I think that if they can't fix it then they would have to replace it, theres bound to be some consumer law that says they would have to. It's selling a faulty product, and it's not like the Slims have been out for years, so many PS3's would fall under their guarantes anyway, but something this big would mean that they would have to replace it.

I think that if they can't fix it then they would have to replace it, theres bound to be some consumer law that says they would have to. It's selling a faulty product, and it's not like the Slims have been out for years, so many PS3's would fall under their guarantes anyway, but something this big would mean that they would have to replace it.

That or they get sued...

Again. For the exact same reasons...

Again.

Edited by DarkOverord

I've lost my receipt too, its probably around my flat somewhere but I have far too much paperwork to look through. Sony only do a 1 year warranty anyway which mine is well over as I got it late 2007 or early 2008 whenever it was that Sony dropped the price of the 60GB model bundled with 2 free games to make way for the 40GB model so I'll be in the same situation having to pay for a repair if mine does get faulty over this problem.

I wonder if they will replace the consoles for free as this problem isn't our fault.

so I'll be in the same situation having to pay for a repair if mine does get faulty over this problem.

Ah, but then the argument is, but this is a fault caused by Sony, NOT by the consumer. So why should the consumer pay for a repair that was caused by the manufactorer and not through the consumers own use.

The next day and still no change? This is sending off some major warning bells here; something tells me Sony won't be able to fix this, and ALOT of money is about to be lost. If the debug consoles are all busted and game production on the PS3 is halted then I can't imagine what this is doing to Sony financially.

It really sucks for those of you with PS3s that have done this; it's an unfortunate set of circumstances, and I really hope that if the problem is not resolved, you are all compensated for this. Money back would be the ideal situation, but chances are you'd get a replacement SLIM. Not that I'd trust Sony if this doesn't get a fix.

EDIT: Hey, also, something that hasn't been touched upon...

The American Military uses PS3s for their processing powers, no? IIRC, weren't they the pre-slim PHATS too? I wonder if theirs are working...

Edited by Cake

Ah, but then the argument is, but this is a fault caused by Sony, NOT by the consumer. So why should the consumer pay for a repair that was caused by the manufactorer and not through the consumers own use.

Yeah, I will be pretty annoyed if we have to pay for their fault.

Get this guys, apparently there is some twisted idiots out there right now pretending to be Sony employees messing people about over this problem -

http://www.videogamer.com/news/dont_trust_non-official_apocalyps3_info_sony_warns.html