Awoo.

PS3's are fixed. It's alive! MUHAHAHA!

Badnik Mechanic

Man thankfully I was going to play Megaman 10 today on the Wii, or I was going to play Sonic and Sega before my lab today. Man I'm glad that this thread caught my attention!

I just hope that Sony can fix this soon.

I still don't understand why this has happened.

This year is hardly the first Feb 28th/ March 1st the console has experienced. Why this year and no others? Is it something to do with it being 2010?

Y2K Sony style. Ha, I like it!

What on Earth cause this then? I'm more interested in that than anything else.

Okay guys, post in this thread to discuss the problem and its status, effects and fix(es). Do NOT post in here to spout "OMG PS3 SUXX0RZ!!1!" crap. It's not helpful, only inflammatory and obnoxious. Thanks guys (: Any further such posts will be deleted.

• Thumbs Up 2

Nah. We need a more delicate touch.

This year is hardly the first Feb 28th/ March 1st the console has experienced. Why this year and no others? Is it something to do with it being 2010?

Sony might have simply made a mistake in the leap year settings on the internal clock, and when they changed the motherboard in order to make the Slim PS3 they didn't repeat the mistake.

Edited by Tornado

I'm curious if "We hope to resolve this problem within the next 24 hours" means "we will have a fix by tomorrow" or "we are going to see if this thing fixes itself on March 2nd."

Same.

Either way, I'd like to see this situation resolved as soon as possible whether Sony resolves it or otherwise.

Okay guys, post in this thread to discuss the problem and its status, effects and fix(es). Do NOT post in here to spout "OMG PS3 SUXX0RZ!!1!" crap. It's not helpful, only inflammatory and obnoxious. Thanks guys (: Any further such posts will be deleted.

Thank you.

Yesterday my control fell on the ground and turned on my PS3. I tried to pull the Ethernet cord but it was too late and I got the error code. Nothing was missing so far but I quickly tuned it off just in case.

Edited by Shade737

Yesterday my control fell on the ground and turned on my PS3. I tried to pull the Ethernet cord but it was too late and I got the error code. Nothing was missing so far but I quickly tuned it off just in case.

It seems to be games you play only.

Y'see, my trophies from Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing got erased because I was playing that today. My saved game data got corrupted because, when I saved, it logged the time and date as midnight in 1999, thanks to the clock error. None of my other saved game data got corrupted and none of my other trophies have gone missing, because I haven't accessed those games (and therefore that data) today. So, hopefully, people are wising up and stopping playing, meaning they'll lose less data.

At least, I only hope.

I turned my console on half an hour ago. It said it was still 15:34, even though I've got a logged save game from Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing at 15:45.

Games Radar have posted some videos of people fixing the issue themselves and some internet comedy about the problem including this -

original--article_image.jpg

I'm going to wait it out rather than tamper with my console like the people in those videos, I'm no tech wiz anyway :lol:

http://www.gamesradar.com/ps3/playstation-3/news/psn-error-8001050f-sonys-official-response/a-2010030192713805045/g-20060314115917309058

Basically it seems to be a silly hardware error with the calendar and leap year. I know bugs are basically a problem that will never go away, but something like disabling the ability to play games is rather odd. My PS3 is currently at home so I still have my Wii and 360 to keep me company, but this is going to be one hell of a ride for PR and damage control. Hopefully the fix will be up by tonight, but I wonder about those who don't have or never hooked up to PSN. Will Sony be able to release the fix so that you can run it in a executable on a flash drive or will you have to buy a new game with the update printed on it before you will be able to get it to work.

In any case, so much for the 10 year life span...

Edited by The Engineer

I'm pretty sure if the fix can't be obtainable through PSN, that Sony will let you download it in a numerous amount of ways to get it to your ps3. It being via flashdrive, Ps3 internet browser (supposedly the browser still works), free disc available through most retailers and etc.

I have confidence that Sony will fix this ASAP

I'm just wondering what will happen if it CAN'T be fixed unless you tamper with your PS3 or if it doesn't resolve itself tomorrow, the next 24 hours are going to be very interesting...

Plus I want a free Slim plz Sony, however unrealistic that may be xD

I'm just wondering what will happen if it CAN'T be fixed unless you tamper with your PS3 or if it doesn't resolve itself tomorrow, the next 24 hours are going to be very interesting...

I love my ps3 phat and if the only way to get this problem fixed is to "replace" my current console with a new slim.. I rather not. Worse comes to worse and the people at my gaming store play-n-trade figure out how to fix it I rather bring it to them to fix it. I'm pretty sure this problem can be resolved with some sort of software/firmware update.

It might not be.

I've been doing some looking around and asking a few people who know about this kind of stuff, whilst it's a bit early t say now, if the error cannot be fixed via a patch or any kind of firmware update, then theres several options open to people because the error was caused by Sony and not by the consumer, Sony is liable because the unit has stopped functioning due to a problem at there end which is not a discontinuation of the unit.

This is if the problem is down to Sony. Which in this case it is.

* You send it away, then send it back fixed and working. If that happens, then you'd get all the gurantees that you'd normally get if you got the YLOD and sent it away for a fix and it's then returned.

* If the system cannot be fixed. Typically, what would happen is if say this was something like say a camera, idealy they would try to replace it with a same brand but similar specs, they would not say "Oh you paid £300 for your 60GB PS3, so here is a new £300 250GB Slim PS3." They would say, "Here is your new 60GB PS3." Or something very close to those original tech specs that you paid.

The problem Sony has with it's consoles, is that unless theres a secret batch of reconditioned old PS3's in a random warehouse somewhere, most of it's units are quite different when it comes to tech specs, for instance, a 60GB has backwards compatability, X number of USB ports etc etc. It's new models, whilst they have more memory and a few other bits and bobs too, theres quite a vast difference between most of the systems. Whilst they all do the same thing (nearly), theres a vast difference in their technical specifications. So like I said, unless sony have a vast supply of 60GB, 30GB, 80GB phat PS3's about and the systems cannot be fixed. pft... it's slim time.

Look at Nintendos recent issue they had with a firmware update, it killed a number of legal Wii's they could fix the problem, but if they couldn't? You could bet that they would have to replace them.

You can bet though that Sony will not want to replace the old models with slims. But if they can't fix it, then they'll definately be forced to cough up those slims. Mind you, given that the slims do not allow for additional OS systems installed and increased security, if they did have to replace, they'd probably do it with slims for the added security reasons, mind you, I wonder if they would return peoples old HDs.

But anyway... it has only been a day, when it gets to a week.... thats when we start calling Sony.

edit: lol... I've just noticed that my PSN ID signature is no longer showing.

Edited by Casanova
  • Thumbs Up 1

Nothing fanboyish or anti-PS3 about the pic- it's just very funny.

nothing.gif

Seeing how Sony go about the fix will certainly be interesting. Best solution seems to be downloading something onto a flash drive. But then, not everyone have web access and those particularly un-techno savvy will also have difficulty. Or they could set up a system for people to get the disc online via their website, much like Nintendo have done with the Wii Wrist Straps and Jackets. Again though, web access. And on such short notice? Seems like a challenge. They're still going to have a deluge of people wanting to send their consoles in.

Edited by Blue Blood

Look at Nintendos recent issue they had with a firmware update, it killed a number of legal Wii's they could fix the problem, but if they couldn't? You could bet that they would have to replace them.

Great info, Cas, everyone should keep their rights as a consumer in mind!

The reason for quoting that little bit above btw, is just to make a clear case to anyone who decides to start pulling the Fanboy cards to just forget it. Every console has had issues down the line (as shown above), so comments like "You get what you pay for with PSN" and what-have-you about RROD should just be left at the door. I imagine the situation sucks for people with busted PS3s, I'm sure they could use your support rather than your snide remarks, kay?

Edited by Cake

Anyone who has ever worked with complex electronics or anything with an OS knows that it's actually far more impressive that computers/consoles/etc work 95% of the time than terrible that they sometimes mess up.

But then, not everyone have web access and those particularly un-techno savvy will also have difficulty.

With regards to actually doing it, it's not that difficult at all. I've not had to do something like install a backup for over a year, since then the only change is that your backup needs to include a copy of the most recent firmware on it for it to work.

However, from what I understand, all what you need to do is save the firmware file and name is something like "Firmware (insert correct number) PS3" and the PS3 should recognise it, it's not exactly like that but it's as amazingly simple as that.

Also you could use any flash drive to do it, the only issue would be to install backups, but if you wanted to get your system back alive, say you had the new firmware on a USB stick, that usb stick could be used to re-activate any PS3.

This is like waiting for the new millennium all over again. I imagine myself shouting the countdown to midnight and await the explosion from various message boards saying if it's all good or all bad.

With regards to actually doing it, it's not that difficult at all. I've not had to do something like install a backup for over a year, since then the only change is that your backup needs to include a copy of the most recent firmware on it for it to work.

However, from what I understand, all what you need to do is save the firmware file and name is something like "Firmware (insert correct number) PS3" and the PS3 should recognise it, it's not exactly like that but it's as amazingly simple as that.

Also you could use any flash drive to do it, the only issue would be to install backups, but if you wanted to get your system back alive, say you had the new firmware on a USB stick, that usb stick could be used to re-activate any PS3.

I know that sort of thing is painfully easy, but some people have real difficulty with anything of the sort. If the game doesn't start when the disc is put in and instead tell you to update, then they're on on the phone to customer support. Granted, that's more to be expected from some Wii owners than PS3 owners.

The main thing I'm concerned about is my downloadable content for LittleBigPlanet. I haven't played the game in quite a while, and I certainly haven't since this happened. The data for it still appears to be saved onto my PS3, but not having played it in so long makes me unsure on whether or not it works. If it doesn't, that's more than $100 down the drain..

I think I may edit the first page with a couple of FAQs about this.

Your DLC is SAFE! Any trophies that were synced are SAFE!

Just because it's not stored on your PS3 right now or showing doesn't mean it's lost. All DLC is tied to your account and stored on the Sony Server.

Bare in mind if you had a slim PS3 you would not be having these problems, you would be logged into your account and you would be playing online using your DLC. So your account is still fine and everything is still logged to it.

Think of it this way, if you ever download a theme/demo/game from the PSN and then later delete it from your unit. You can still download it as you've bought/downloaded it. It's still there and has NOT been lost.

Strange; nothing like this ever happened on the Dreamcast...

And I thought that consoles were meant to improve over time; why is it that my 20-year-old MegaDrive still works perfectly while your shiny new PS3s are malfunctioning after a simple network update?

We're not seriously going to compare a Sega console with the consoles of today are we? I don't think even the most die hard anti Sony fanboy would be silly enough to do that.

And it's not a network update, it's been in there since day 1. It could so easilly have been the Xbox 360 or Wii, it happened to Zunes back in 2008 and it was something that wasn't even under Microsofts control. Stuff like this cannot be predicted until it finally happens.

Edited by Casanova