Awoo.

PS3's are fixed. It's alive! MUHAHAHA!

Badnik Mechanic

Why isn't there a option to make trophy syncing automatic when connected to the internet? At least after this they might put it in.

Edited by Shade737

Mine works fine, didn't lose anything because I haven't played the console in all day and I'm paranoid enough to always sync trophies at the end of my gaming sessions.

Now, come this time the following years, we shall turn off our systems 24 hours in memory of the day Kutaragi's son resurrected himself for the sake of gamerkind.

Boy am I fucking glad my Heavy Rain copy got delayed to tomorrow. People could have DIED.

I about freaked last night. Good thing it resolved itself. Anyone else get a strange date when it started working again? My PS3 went straight from December 31, 1999 to April 30, 2020. :lol:

PlayStation Network Service Restored

We are aware that the internal clock functionality in the PS3 units other than the slim model, recognized the year 2010 as a leap year. Having the internal clock date change from February 29 to March 1 (both GMT), we have verified that the symptoms are now resolved and that users are able to use their PS3 normally.

If the time displayed on the XMB is still incorrect, users are able to adjust time settings manually or via the internet. If we have new information, we will update you through the PlayStation.Blog or PlayStation.com.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/03/playstation-network-service-restored/

Looks like a whole shitload of PS3s thought this year was a leap year and so promptly cocked up.

The entire problem is exactly what I figured it was from the get-go with the evidence at hand.

Sony likely did absolutely nothing and then waited for the problem to fix itself.

Edited by Top Cat

Ah, exactly what everyone on the Playstation Forums were saying last night after this happened.

Isn't this the exact same thing that happened to Microsoft's Zune last year?

To be fair I dont think there is anything Sony could do really as it was affecting consoles that have never touched the internet aswell as ones that have so I think letting the problem fix itself was probably the only answer. Being off an whole day has obviously had negative impact world wide that will have affected Sony, consumer trust, developers, publishers and PSN sales. The fact that this was reported everywhere even on major news outlets that dont even cover video games usually will have had a huge effect on everything. Most likely news will be spreading around now that Sony caused the problem and didnt lift a finger instead letting the problem fix itself. I'm not too bothered now its over but I can understand why alot of people are angry since many lost data, trophies etc...

selfress.jpg

Well now Im enjoying MW2 and hoping this never happens again.

Edited by Shade737
  • Thumbs Up 2

So basically all this was caused because some retard at Sony had the clock check for leap years by looking for an even year number:

- Wouldn't have been caught in 2006 because the console was released too late in the year for Feb timestamps

- 2007 is odd so would skip Feb 29 correctly

- 2008 is even and actually was a leap year anyway so the code appeared to work correctly

- 2009 is odd

- 2010 is even but not a leap year HURR DURR *CRASH*

I hope the programmer responsible gets docked wages this month.

• Thumbs Up 2

In a way I'd almost call this worse than the RROD as far as people affected went. At least we didn't all have to ship our consoles back in.

j67hqe.jpg

I shall be stealing this for my desktop.

I hope the programmer responsible gets docked wages this month.

He should get the bloody sack!

• Thumbs Up 2

Just turned my 40GB lard-ass back on: it said the date was April 2020, but as soon as I connected it to the interweb, the correct date and time downloaded itself and I was able to sign my PlayStation Network account back in (for the second time, having only just registered it for the first time for a laugh a few months back).

I also very quickly synchronised my trophy information with the PSN. Unfortunately, all my Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing trophies were lost. So I took a rather drastic decision and deleted my Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing saved game data, too. I went through and deleted everything that I did on my PlayStation3 that had yesterday's date involved (or, should I say, 1999 involved). I've now logged it offline and shut it down. Give it a few hours and then I'll be starting Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing from scratch. Nevermind: it could have been so much worse!

This time next year, I might just avoid playing my PlayStation3 for a few weeks. <_<

I'm glad it's back for everyone! I was playing on my slim last night and thinking of you all, it sucks not being able to do what you want <3

Who would like to know what caused around 8 out of 10 phat PS3's to stop working yesterday?

It was the clock chip right? Correct... do you know which clock chip it was...

Oh thats right ladies and gentlemen... It was the ZUNE chips! The same chips that caused the Zunes to crash in 2008 are also in PS3's! HO HO! The ARM CPU is the culprit, it has a known fault when dealing with leap years, or in this case... time in general.

You know I can't help but feel that maybe someone at the Sony factory who heard about this Zune thing should have said "Hey... do you think these chips might cause the PS3 to break?"

Source

So it WAS Microsoft's fault! :P(I kid, I kid)

But seriously, I was just wondering something: do PS3 trophies ever auto-sync? Like if you don't sync them for days/weeks/months/etc, does it ever just update itself while you log in or while you're online?

But seriously, I was just wondering something: do PS3 trophies ever auto-sync? Like if you don't sync them for days/weeks/months/etc, does it ever just update itself while you log in or while you're online?

Probably not, 'cause I've been online before and mine never synchronised before this morning.

Huh. Apparently, it was yesterday that Sony gave word that the PS3 was fixed, and it wasn't even that late.

Today's edition of the Mercury News came with an article addressing this problem, stating that they weren't sure when the problem would be resolved. TODAY's newspaper. It was resolved YESTERDAY.

>.>