Awoo.

Rumour: Dimps Going Solo On Sonic 4 Episode 2?

Detective Shadzter

We all know Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 is a joint venture between Sonic Team and Dimps but what about Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2? We’ve barely seen much of Episode 1 but the staff over at Xbox360Achievements.org are already looking into Episode 2 according to a new listing at their site in which they have the below info.

Episode 2 listing -

Developed By:

Dimps

Published By:

SEGA

Genre:

Platformer

Release Date:

US:

Europe:

Japan:

ESRB: E for Everyone

Episode 1 listing -

Developed By:

Sonic Team/Dimps

Published By:

SEGA

Genre:

Platformer

Release Date:

US:

Europe:

Japan:

So as you can see there is a difference in developers, if the site has got this right then Episode 2 will be a Dimps solo project and the game looks to have already been given its ESRB rating too which to no surprise is an E but oddly they havent listed Episode 1’s E rating we’ve known about for ages.

Take all of this with a very teency pinch of salt for now.

http://www.sonicstadium.org/news/rumour-sonic-4-episode-2

• Thumbs Up 1

Why do i get a feeling that one day Dimps and Sonic Team will merge as one :S I called it SonicDimpsTeam XD anyway i wont mind Dimps making the whole game tbh lol (PLZ DONT KILL ME SINCE I SAID THAT PPL XD lol)

:Edit:

Let The Shitstorm begin people since i know alot of people will rant and rave over this lmao

Edited by Crash And Burn Like 1976

I really wouldn't put any faith in this...but I kind of want to believe it's true.

Part of me wonders if some of the problems this game is having are due to Dimps being told to make Sonic 4 instead of letting them do what they've gotten good at (the Rushes). Lengthening the leash a little might give us something that's less "Sonic 4", but better overall (for me, anyway).

Huh...the irony in this is kinda sad, since most Sonic games in recent years not made by Sonic Team have been liked better than Sonic games by Sonic Team. I find it weird that people can expect a good quality Sonic game from developers that aren't Sonic Team. Good luck to Dimps in making a good game I guess.

All I hope for is that they study the genesis games and apply their knowledge from making Advance 1 and COMPLETELY BLOCK OUT ANYTHING ELSE THEY'VE MADE.

I really wouldn't put any faith in this...but I kind of want to believe it's true.

Part of me wonders if some of the problems this game is having are due to Dimps being told to make Sonic 4 instead of letting them do what they've gotten good at (the Rushes). Lengthening the leash a little might give us something that's less "Sonic 4", but better overall (for me, anyway).

Yeah, you do have to wonder about that.

As for this topic at hand, as I said take it with a pinch of salt. I'm just a little stumped at how random it is for them to set up a page for Episode 2 and label Dimps as the developer with no mention of Sonic Team, they get info before us to a small degree too so they can get prepared for the Achievements. I'm not fussed who develops it, I just thought I'd put it out there but clearly label it as rumour.

If this does turn out to be true, I've got no problem with it. I've enjoyed all of the Dimps-made Sonic games and they've definitely got a better reputation than anything made by Sonic Team as of late, and Dimps have at least had more experience in making 2D Sonic games in the last few years.

As long as they stay true to the original Megadrive games, I'll be happy! :)

• Thumbs Up 2

If anything, giving Dimps too much freedom has only ever been a bad thing. Sonic Pocket Adventure was good because they kept Dimps on a tight leash when making SPA, even if it meant essentially making Sonic 2: Lost Levels. Sonic Advance worked because it was a sort of "transition" game for the 2D games, following many of the rules of the Genesis titles.

And then came Advance 2, Advance 3, Rush and Rush Adventure, each becoming significantly more diluted from the original Sonic formula. Now it's not strictly a bad thing to delve from the traditional Sonic formula, but in a game intended to be Sonic 4, I'd personally like it if they had somebody monitoring that they didn't stretch their creative liberties too far.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but wasn't Episode 1 also originally listed as Dimps-only until RubyEclipse had to clarify that Sonic Team was still playing a part? I honestly wouldn't be surprised if someone made that same mistake twice.

Edited by Blacklightning

I'd also be fairly surprised if they were already allocating team resources this far from the release of the first game. I know that it is done in the industry, but usually with bigger development teams than anything Dimps has.

Edited by Tornado

Dimps will get more respect from me if they rename themselves "Pimps."

In all seriousness, this is hardly a viable source. Not only is there absolutely no information to confirm this, but there really isn't a reason for them to just split up after Episode 1. For all we know, they had just registered Episode 2 along with Episode 1 and forgot to change the developer after they found out Episode 1 was a joint operation.

• Thumbs Up 1

If they can just do what they did in Sonic Advance 1, then I would be okay with that. Sonic Advance was MY Sonic the Hedgehog 4.

• The title was changed to Rumour: Dimps Going Solo On Sonic 4 Episode 2?