Awoo.

Do you really want to see Super Sonic at the end of each Sonic Game for the rest of Sonic's life

S0NIC-Keyblade 007

Oh and then there's getting butt raped by the Launch Base Zone boss.

Yeah, you're on your own with that one. All of the Lauch Base Zone boss are a cakewalk when I play as Super Sonic.

Yeah, you're on your own with that one. All of the Lauch Base Zone boss are a cakewalk when I play as Super Sonic.

Oh I can beat him quite easily now, so long as I avoid those grabbing hands, which not even the mighty Super Sonic can stop.

Yet Super Knuckles can, and that was QUITE awesome (I know it's a glitch, but still!)

Oh yeah, I forgot about the start of Sonic 3, crap. My bad. >.>

Okay, we can assume that the end of Sonic 2 was supposed to be the first plot-canon appearance, but even so- signpost glitch? You mean where if you jump after finishing a level, you're basically screwed, right?

I still say that Super Sonic makes the games far easier than he does hard. Ring management isn't really an issue unless you're at a section with bosses after a long section with no rings (very rarely), otherwise you can usually kill any boss in a few seconds anyway.

I don't have a problem with him being there as such, I just do wish he was easier to avoid using.

I dunno, personally I still feel like I'm cheating every time I use Super Sonic.

Okay, we can assume that the end of Sonic 2 was supposed to be the first plot-canon appearance, but even so- signpost glitch? You mean where if you jump after finishing a level, you're basically screwed, right?

Yeah, that one. Basically they still required Sonic to be off screen to trigger the act clear, but since being somewhere where the time does not flow auto disables Super Sonic, you get stuck on place. I believe this is fixed in every subsequent release of Sonic 2.

But there's a fine line between exciting conflict, and just plain being a Gary Stu. If Sonic alone can take out something like Solaris, Dark Gaia, or even Perfect Chaos, than what's the point of having him transform in the first place?

Just make it within the realm of possibility for Sonic to beat on his own.

Ummm, Diogenes already covered that in his post you quoted.

I completely agree with him, myself. Shaking things up and having Sonic go up against overwhelming (but still believable) odds would be much better than having him go up against some god like creature that he can kill by simply ramming it to death.

when do you reckon the first plot-canon appearance of Super Sonic was?

Sonic 2, otherwise 3's intro wouldn't make sense.

I'd say Super Sonic spoils the classics for me quite a lot.

He's overpowered, removes almost any and all challenge from the games, and worst of all ear-rapes with an endless loop of the invincibility theme, in effect ruining the games' soundtracks.

This wouldn't matter so much if it were easier to avoid using him, but in Sonic 2, once you have all the emeralds, you can't even jump without it forcing you to go super. S3&K is almost as bad- granted, you have to double-jump there, but still, considering that normally makes you insta-shield... yeah. I think Super Sonic should be easier to not use, for those who don't want to.

Well, it's not like it's required or anything. Super for me is mainly my way of doing a casual run through the game quickly. I only avoid the emeralds for a self imposed challenge. It's not hard to avoid the emeralds anyway, the Special Stages were pretty boring.

Though I do admit, not being able to listen to the soundtrack during it and how easy it is to accidentally transform are both annoying, but the latter isn't so much a problem since if I didn't want to be super, I wouldn't collect the emeralds..... though on a side note, a good tactic to avoid going super while still having all of them by the end, you could just wait till the last possible level to collect the last of them.

Oh and then there's getting butt raped by the Launch Base Zone boss.

That's rarely a problem for me since I usually run out of rings during the flying segment.

Yeah, that one. Basically they still required Sonic to be off screen to trigger the act clear, but since being somewhere where the time does not flow auto disables Super Sonic, you get stuck on place. I believe this is fixed in every subsequent release of Sonic 2.

Not in Mega Collection.

Edited by Black Spy

It actually really annoys me that Sonic goes super for absolutely no reason at the start of Sonic 3, because like I said, having Doomsday actually be his first canon appearance would seem so much more epic.

I mean, you start Sonic 3 as regular Sonic. He jumps off and turns super for the best part of five seconds before Knuckles smashes him in the face. It doesn't seem to serve any other purpose than to make Knuckles look badass and powerful. I mean, the end of Sonic 2 certainly doesn't necessitate Super Sonic, considering the ending is practically the same whether you get all emeralds or not (in fact, the ending makes less sense as Super Sonic, since Tails comes up to 'rescue' you, only to have Super Sonic fly alongside him by himself.

Eh, if I had my way in any kind of 'proper' remakes of the series, I'd probably disable Super Sonic in everythinig up until Doomsday (probably enraging loads of fans in the process, but still!), and completely remove Hyper Sonic and Tails and Knuckles' Super/ Hyper forms, which I don't really accept as canon. Yes, they exist in a canon game, but I still feel that the only reason Hyper forms were added was due to the fact that Sonic 3 ended up split into two separate games. It just feels like a tacky 'upgrade' to impress people who got both Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles. Sonic got all Super Emeralds, now Sonic can go Super Saiyan 2

In terms of saying 'you don't have to get the emeralds if you don't want Super Sonic', well- I can want to get the good/ proper ending without having to worry about turning into a Super Saiyan and making the game stupidly easy and destroying the soundtrack. D:

Edited by Mahzes

I wouldn't mind seeing Super Sonic for the rest of his life. Although I would really rather have more to do instaed of ramming all the time.

As someone else said I don't mind Super Sonic appearing at the end of every game, but I am tired of the monster of the week overthrowing Eggman. After Perfect Chaos and the Biolizard I just found it too repetitive. I'm open to the idea of a super battle but Sonic having to power down at the end. I wouldn't mind seeing Tails and Knuckles super forms (the Sonic 3 ones) come back for a game or two either.

Edited by Captain THPS4

Now I'm playing Knuckles in Sonic 2 on Classic Collection, let me further express my dislike for 'double jump = SUPAH' in the classics.

KNUCKLES CAN GLIDE, SEGA. DON'T MAKE ME SUPER JUST BECAUSE I WANT TO GLIDE, SEGA. D:

Edited by Mahzes

Now I'm playing Knuckles in Sonic 2 on Classic Collection, let me further express my dislike for 'double jump = SUPAH' in the classics.

KNUCKLES CAN GLIDE, SEGA. DON'T MAKE ME SUPER JUST BECAUSE I WANT TO GLIDE, SEGA. D:

Come on man, you're gonna ruin it for the rest of us! XD

I've always said there should be a way to make Super completely optional. It should be the PLAYER'S decision, not the developer's.

You know, since all three buttons jump it would've been better to have A+B+C at once activate Super Sonic. It would have been so easy.

Or just stick it on any one of the buttons. All 3 did the same thing, surely one could have been spared for this.

• 2 weeks later...

See, to me, in the classic games, the big robot was the final boss, and the SuperSonic stage was like a 'bonus' you could unlock, because I never cared much for the special stages. I imagine Sonic 4 will probably do the same thing, with the 'bonus' final boss if you get the emeralds etc., but it would seem the 3D ones are still going to stick with adding the SuperSonic final boss if you complete every 'story' or whatever (I guess it's similar, the 'final' story is still usually optional but after Sonic Adventure it seems the 'stories' do more of a 'to be continued' rather than an ending)... I remember Sonic Unleashed having it as a mandatory part of the linear story though.

I wouldn't mind seeing Super Sonic in another game. Just don't make the Super boss fight mandatory. I also

believe that a Special Stage system like that in the classic Sonic games should be implemented so that Super Sonic

remains optional.

The current system of Sonic finding the Emeralds through cutscenes and only being able to be Super in the final boss fights is

getting quite old. It was alright in Sonic Adventure and even SA2, but I was sort of hoping for the classic Super Sonic formula to

return in Sonic Heroes. And ever since, the 12 year old formula has been reduced, reused and recycled several times. I just want

to be able to go into the special stages, get the 7 Emeralds, and unlock the ability to play as Super Sonic like in the old days, as

I actually felt like I achieved something when I completed S3&K, whereas, in my opinion, Sonic Adventure seemed like I just

completed a rather easy video game.

I also don't want to see bosses like Perfect Dark Gaia in the future, as they make it seem as if Sega has no creativity whatsoever.

Edited by Evile Cruelty