Awoo.

Sonic 4 interview in latest Nintendo Power

Detective Shadzter

The dusk shots are from the latter acts. The third act is a later act. O_o I would think that proves it.

Sonic CD had all of twelve feet of platforming in most of its third acts, but it was still enough to take a bunch of screens from them and pretend they were full acts if you hadn't played the game. Which none of us have. Which is why I asked if we knew.

Edited by Tornado

I saw on the front page a few comments here somewhere about people wanting to see the full running animation. We saw it briefly in the leaked footage at the SEGA logo and for a brief second in the gameplay. Here's a screencap I took of the SEGA logo part -

sonic4wheelofeet.jpg

Sonic CD had all of twelve feet of platforming in most of its third acts, but it was still enough to take a bunch of screens from them and pretend they were full acts if you hadn't played the game. Which none of us have. Which is why I asked if we knew.

Ohhh. Good point. Fair nuff.

It was shown in the leak that act 3 and the boss fight are separate though.

Thank you. That is proof enough for me. And I apologize to Phos for missing it when he said it.

Edited by Tornado

Speedfreak is right. It was confirmed witht he leaked video that boss fights are their own act.

5 minute stages?

I point to the timers in the pics. Also the boss over a minute and a half...?

5 minute stages?

Maybe that's that chase sequence someone mentioned a while ago? :huh:

5 minute stages?

Take no notice. In Unleashed screenshots the timer would be maxed out even though they were just 3 seconds into the stage. Chance are that the pics were taken using a debug mode (not the debug mode that we'd use back in the old days).

In the screenshots for unleashed the timer had like 8 min for Windmill Isle Act 2 so maybe this is just a mock up.

In the screenshots for unleashed the timer had like 8 min for Windmill Isle Act 2 so maybe this is just a mock up.

Mock-up? Why would they bother? There's no chance of that. They'll be screens of test plays rather than speed-runs.

I like how the boss changes his strategy after 3 hits. Reminds me of the first boss of Advance...

Shadzter, when are ou going to upload the jpgs of the scans? I've had to refresh the first page more then 10 times and it still hasn'T loaded the whole pic.

Someone typing up th einterview would be cool, too..

BTW, in case you haven't seen my latest news post on NeoGAF, (I'm Robbienick over there) I saw in the latest X-Box magazine (American) that the story parts of Sonic 4 will have "No cutscenes and no Dialouge". That means it will be just like the old games where the story was told though pantomime.

• Thumbs Up 1

But back on topic, glad to see the bosses won't be total rehashes, and did anyone else notice that the speed shoes monitor is red while the 10 ring box is normal gray?

Thats just because of the lighting. Its duck(Edit: lol I mean Dusk xD) in that pic and the spikes are also red..

ITT: Wishful thinking.

Also, while I'm not a supporter of the classic look by any means, the excuse he gave for not using it is bullcrap.

Also if Senoue is really behind the music, then I am disappoint.

How is it bullcrap? Sonic has a "new" design and the people have to use it. Its a perfectly good excuse.

I love this pic, I'm guessing this is around the end of the stage.:

piccy.jpg

And this one, too. Those waterfalls are nice!

lookFLicky.jpg

It is FLicky, right? Not Flickie? :-/. Ah,well..

Edited by MarcelloF

I like how the boss changes his strategy after 3 hits. Reminds me of the first boss of Advance...

Shadzter, when are ou going to upload the jpgs of the scans? I've had to refresh the first page more then 10 times and it still hasn'T loaded the whole pic.

Someone typing up th einterview would be cool, too..

I uploaded them to my article last night but our admins understandably removed them so we don't get in trouble with NP and its publisher. Will post them here in a bit when my wife is done on the PC (I'm using my Wii browser at the mo) XD

The new screenshots remind me... there's quite a bit of badnik variety in Splash Hill. Lessee:

Motobug, Newtron, the fish badnik, Bubbles... er, four so far. Less than I assumed, but it's still not too shabby. Green Hill had five badniks, Emerald Hill had three and Angel Island had four. Green Hill had the most acts, though, and two of its badniks were reused later in the game, so Splash Hill looks pretty good as long as we don't see too many of its enemies rehashed... Bubbles looks like it probably will be, but I'm doubtful about the others. It looks like there might be a fair few more enemies left to see.

Thanks!

So, the level design will be like Sonic 2's? I guess thats good, even though I like S3 the most.The level design was still great in 2. I'm happy to hear they are basing the level design on the classics, though

Edited by MarcelloF

Yeesh, the guys over at Retro are real a-holes. Discussion has lapsed into making cruel comments about Iizuka's teeth and 4:3 vs 16:9 aspect ratio. <_<

Yeesh, the guys over at Retro are real a-holes. Discussion has lapsed into making cruel comments about Iizuka's teeth and 4:3 vs 16:9 aspect ratio. <_<

Wow, really? Even if you don't like the guy, thats just low.

They're STILL on a whinefest down there about "BAWW CLASSIK SAWNIK ISNT IN ADJABSKDBFJAK"; and yes, while I'm a classic fanboy myself, I have gotten rather irritated with that crap, since they'll seem to start the BAWWfest every time the game's design is even brought up. Plus, people down there are rolling in pessimism and idiocy right now; so I'll post there again when the stupidity calms down (which might be a while...)

I'm super pumped for this game, really. Super Sonic in-levels, return of whimsical environments, multiple-layered level design, and approval from not just Izuka but also Nintendo Power, lack of dialouge and huge cutscenes and deep stories.. Everything is shaping up exactly the way I've always wanted a Sonic 4 to shape up as. The franchise has gained my full respect once again, and if it lives up to it's own title completely by the time I play it, I will take back everything I said about modern Sonic Team, Dimps and Takashi Izuka.

• Thumbs Up 1

My respect for Retro has been wavering ever since Project Needlemouse's first announcement. It surprises me how people can act such a way, and seriously folks, they have gone so low as to rip on Iizka's teeth. Jeez, ever try not biting the hand that feeds you, Retro? Seriously, there's, like, no insight, just whining. And hating on Tails. Seriously, why hate Tails?!

Either way, I'm glad I'm primarily a Sonic Stadium member.

• Thumbs Up 2

I know. Complaints about Tails, Izuka's teefs, modern Sonic, complaining, Izuka in general, modern Sonic, rehashing, homing attack, homing attack, Izuka, modern Sonic, rehashing, Izuka and modern Sonic. :P

Who's hating on Tails? Show me where they are so I can tear them a new one >_>;;

Not to get too into Retro talk, but I think a major problem is that many of the members make Sonic (fan)games themselves, so they place themselves on the same level as the official dev teams (if not in the dev teams shoes) so their level of criticism and nit-pickery is about 500X more than the average fan.