Awoo.

Sonic 4 interview in latest Nintendo Power

Detective Shadzter

I know. Complaints about Tails, Izuka's teefs, modern Sonic, complaining, Izuka in general, modern Sonic, rehashing, homing attack, homing attack, Izuka, modern Sonic, rehashing, Izuka and modern Sonic. :P

We talkin' about the "How Sega All But Ruined Tails" thread (which is pretty legit complains on character personality) or comments by Overlord..or was it Aquaslash? (no offense ya two, not hating on ya ^^; ).

I wouldn't worry about it too much Flyboy Fox. Don't let the hate spread. D:

Edited by GameboyHero

We talkin' about the "How Sega All But Ruined Tails" thread (which is pretty legit complains on character) or comments by Overlord? (no offense man, not hating on ya ^^; ).

I wouldn't worry about it too much Flyfox. Don't let the hate spread. D:

There's actually a member here called Flyfox, so that might get a bit confusing as a portmanteau nickname XD

Eh, I'm not about to go bust people up over an opinion. I have my own (VERY LONG) list of gripes about Tails as a character between Sonic 2 and now... I just have to say something, right? I'm expected to! =P

(Everyone seems to think that I'm Tails' biggest fan, even though Sonic is actually my favourite, so I thought what the heck I'll just go with it ^^; Myeh.)

Edit: Also, don't think I didn't spot the pot leaf head edit there (;

Retro is pretty bad, but there are some level headed people, and they are doing a really good job on sonic 2 hd.

Some of them took that why sonic suckes thing way too seriously, it still a pretty good sonic site though.

Edit: Also, don't think I didn't spot the pot leaf head edit there (;

Ahh, ya got me :P I always seem to edit my post. Gah, neat freak poster D:

So we're all on good terms then. Good to hear :) And yeah, my thoughts on Retro are 50/50. Yes, there are assholes on there, but along them are some damn awesome folks. Plus I need a place to browse at school ya know. >>

For the sake of staying on topic, I want to say that I'm absolutely thrilled with what I'm seeing in this article. I was literally smiling when reading the interview. I could tell that they were using Sonic 2 as a reference for aesthetics, which is not a bad thing in the least. When I think classic Sonic, I think Sonic 2 before the rest of them. There's just something more colorful and iconic about the "Zone Cards" and its zig-zaggy design, that, and I'm hoping more than ever for the original "Title Theme" to make an appearance as the invincibility track.

Also, the homing attack sounds fun! I was hoping that it would function like it did in Sonic Advance 2, where it would only be activated when around a badnik, but I have faith that this will work best. Don't fail me now, Iizuka!

For the sake of staying on topic, I want to say that I'm absolutely thrilled with what I'm seeing in this article. I was literally smiling when reading the interview. I could tell that they were using Sonic 2 as a reference for aesthetics, which is not a bad thing in the least. When I think classic Sonic, I think Sonic 2 before the rest of them. There's just something more colorful and iconic about the "Zone Cards" and its zig-zaggy design, that, and I'm hoping more than ever for the original "Title Theme" to make an appearance as the invincibility track.

Also, the homing attack sounds fun! I was hoping that it would function like it did in Sonic Advance 2, where it would only be activated when around a badnik, but I have faith that this will work best. Don't fail me now, Iizuka!

There are some pretty stupid comments on that video:

ZeSpekov how can you miss the old sonic if youre not even 18 ?

-_-. Oddly, people speaking against him get the negative points >>. For the first time I gave someone negative points..

I played Sonic 2 last night with Sonic 4 in mind and was having a blast! No silly compilations or emulations, this was my original 1991 Genesis hooked to a 15" tube tv.

Makes me wonder if Sonic 4 will show up as 4:3 when hooked to older TVs. I'd love to move the 360 into the retro room and hook up a 360 fightpad for some faux-Genesis gaming.

I will not become pessimistic again over the Sonic 2 level design. I will not become pessimistic again over the Sonic 2 level design. I will not become pessimistic again over the Sonic 2 level design. I will not become pessimistic again over the Sonic 2 level design.

Oh, fuck it: Sonic 2 is by far the worse game they could have chosen to base the level design ethos off of, and I really hope that it doesn't come out with Sonic 2 inspired zones. There. I said it. Throw fruit at me.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Bad Quality Post 4

I prefer throwing negative rep. ;)

Wow. Neg-repping instead of even attempting to discuss (or even asking why)? I thought you were above that sort of thing.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2

I'll admit, I'm a bit uneasy about the Sonic 2 level design part. Don't get me wrong, it's a good game. But I felt that some parts were quite 'meh'. I like Sonic 1's designs a little bit more, and S3&K level design is infinitely superior. If Mad Gear Zone ends up being as annoying as Metropolis Zone is, I'll be unpleased. And seeing as how Shellcracker is back...ugh.

Still, better than them trying to emulate Sonic CD's level design. I'd be raging if that happened.

• Thumbs Up 1

Loving the new screens and info in those Nintendo Power scans, I'm assuming those are Wii version screenshots? If so - they look sa-weet! :D

Glad to hear the first boss will have a twist to it, I was getting worried it was just going to be a rehash. But now it's a rehash that goes insane! Awesome!

I may be wrong, but did NP confirm four zones only in that preview? That may have just been the ones shown to them in the demo, especially as a fifth zone has recently been confirmed in the form of E.G.G. Station Zone. I dunno.

What I do know is - the summer can't come soon enough!

XBOX Mag says there are no cutscenes. Does this mean we won't even get the likes of the cutscenes seen in Sonic 3? Because I thought those were brilliant... finding out how Sonic got from zone to zone is something I've missed in all the Advance games...

So yeah, I'm hoping there will but cutscenes, but small ones. The classic fans spreading around their hate for every little miniscule cutscene must have completely forgotten about S3&K's existence.

EDIT: And yes, Nintendo Power confirmed there are 4 Zones

E.G.G. Station Zone must be just a boss zone. Think every single Sonic Advance game, as well as Sonic 1.

Edited by Lyra

I'd imagine it'd be pretty hard to follow much of a story without at least minor cut-scenes, even if just in the form of scrolling text and/or static pictures. I'll be happy if that's the extent of it, though. I don't mind cut-scenes, but for me simple is better for Sonic 4.

With regards to cutscenes, I too hope the S3&K-style end of zone cutscenes are used. There was something really exciting and interesting about seeing the transition from one zone to another.

Seeing Sonic leap onto the Flying Battery after Mushroom Hill Zone has got to be my favourite example of this. But then again I love Flying Battery Zone, so I would say that :P

I do hope it has sonic 3 & knuckles type scenes, i always loved watching knuckles mess with sonic... ah good times, good times.

Okay!

Replace Fang the Sniper with Fang the Sniper. :3

I do hope it has sonic 3 & Fang the Sniper type scenes, i always loved watching Fang the Sniper mess with sonic... ah good times, good times.

=D

No cutscenes and dialogue is fantastic. It sounds like S3&K style scenes will return, so extra yay!

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay!

Replace Fang the Sniper with Fang the Sniper. :3

I do hope it has sonic 3 & Fang the Sniper type scenes, i always loved watching Fang the Sniper mess with sonic... ah good times, good times.

=D

No cutscenes and dialogue is fantastic. It sounds like S3&K style scenes will return, so extra yay!

Oh you clever little...

Replace Knuckles with Big the Cat. :3

Fixed.

What? I wanted to make a funny. :unsure:

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 1

Wow. Neg-repping instead of even attempting to discuss (or even asking why)? I thought you were above that sort of thing.

Nah, you seem pretty set in your ways that Sonic 2 has (in your esteemed opinion) awful level design. What good would a discussion do? You asked for fruit to be thrown, not for a discussion.

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Bad Quality Post 2

Who's hating on Tails? Show me where they are so I can tear them a new one >_>;;

*raises hand*

I've been hating on him ever since Sonic 2! XD

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

*raises hand*

I've been hating on him ever since Sonic 2! XD

Pretty much everyone hated him back then until this whole Modern vs. Classic bullshit started to surface.

He didn't differ much until Sonic 3, so there wasn't too much of a point in having him in that game except for the Sky Chase.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Sonic 2 isn't terrible, but I do agree that it's the most plain out of the classic titles. The only levels that stand out to me in design and fun are Chemical Plant, Mystic Cave, and Wing Fortress. Where the other games have good levels all around. I just find the game drags sometimes, but it's not a bad game.

One thing that particularly made me smile with joy from the interview was the apparent focus on two characters, and two characters alone... Sonic and Eggman.

I'm not one of these "I want Sonic and Robotnik ONLY!" type people, but I can't pass up another chance to see some character development between Sonic and his moustached nemesis. I'm not talking major plot points or anything, but for it to be a purely Sonic v Eggman game is certainly going to be interesting (if only because we haven't seen something like this recently).

As long as it stays with Eggman as the main villain throughout all the episodes it'll be awesome, no monster-of-the-week please. Giant-deadly-Eggman-robot-of-doom-of-the-week though? Hell YES! :P