Awoo.

Sonic 4 interview in latest Nintendo Power

Detective Shadzter

Sonic-4-screenshots-GI.jpg

It may be stupid, but I really like that waterfall in the last screenshot. I think the game looks amazing.

Edited by Core
  • Thumbs Up 2

Even if nothing else, the game is pretty. And shiny grass? Eh, it's makes the place look bright. I'd rather have shiny grass than shiny everybody, you know?

• Thumbs Up 1

Forgot the obligatory "I hate being pigeonholed into using homing attack." If that's really going to be the case. Not that it will be game breaking for me; just a small gripe.

As long as the homing attack is primarily only used to access hidden routes or finding secrets, I won't have a problem with it. As long as it isn't overly shoe-horned into the normal gameplay, I don't see it causing much of a fuss.

But that's just me :P

I hope they don't abuse the homing attack chains, I really do. However, if they can make them interesting with like timing to avoid obstacles and shit it'll be okay. I don't think they'll be as big on bottomless pits either if they're really trying, even Sonic Rush Adventure had many less pits compared to Advance 2 - Rush.

Also I hope the last move is the Bounce. It'd be good for platforming, and it's cooler than the lame Stomp. Light Speed Dash is very automated and in 2D, likely space filling.

I begin to see why people are getting worried mind you now. Looks stunning visually though, but that's just my opinion.

I think the game is looking great!

Edit: And it looks like Bubbles will be in Splash Hill..

Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 1

Wait wait wait wait....

This game is using pre-rendered sprites? Then why are they still using that low-poly model that looks like Wii-quality?!

You'd think they'd use higher quality models like....oh I dunno, like these:

92068704.png

eggman1.jpg

Seriously, isn't that the whole point of using pre-rendered sprites?

Don't believe Endri if you want, but he said that while Sonic is 3D all the enemies and whatnot are 2D. NSMBDS did exactly this.

What sonicteam is doing with this game is not going back to roots. All i'm seeing is modern gameplay with a classic background/layout.

It's not what I was looking forward to.... :unsure: Why is this sonic 4, what's wrong with sonicteam?

Edited by Jaouad
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2

Wait wait wait wait....

This game is using pre-rendered sprites? Then why are they still using that low-poly model that looks like Wii-quality?!

You'd think they'd use higher quality models like....oh I dunno, like these:

92068704.png

eggman1.jpg

Seriously, isn't that the whole point of using pre-rendered sprites?

They decided to instead go for the cel-shaded look; thus dropping the intense(ly awesome) detailing.

Another thing I don't understand is why didn't the real modern 2d games(advance and rush) have a homing attack like the 3d games. And now what is meant to be a throw back that played like classics does have homing attack.

This game... they should really consider to change the name quick before they can never make up this huge mistake they are making.

Edited by Jaouad
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 6

I don't think they're making a bad mistake. The homing attack will just be another one of the moves added to Sonic's arsenal that was added after each Sonic game. Sonic 2 gave the Spindash, Sonic CD gave the Peelout, and Sonic 3K gave the Instashield / Air Slash. Plus, it wouldn't be so bad. It'd probably work like it does in this hack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxmcWIfVmh8

(skip to about 0:34) It doesn't give you so much momentum, it's short-range and it's really fun to use. However if S4's homing attack functions like the one on Megamix, then you have a reason to gather the pitchforks.

And before anyone says "LIGHTSPEED DASH IS THE OTHER MOVE LOL" I have to say that I believe that it will be a somersault like from the Sadv games (which weren't really necessary moves anyways; just moves for getting you through tight crevices with little room to roll).

• Thumbs Up 1

@Azukara. So I watched that video and I thought okj, that's a cool mod. But what does it add? Does it add more fun gameplay? Does it add more depth? More difficulty?

We allready sort of know how it's going to work with chaining and stuff.

So why are you so optimistic about it?

Edited by Jaouad

Another thing I don't understand is why didn't the real modern 2d games(advance and rush) have a homing attack like the 3d games. And now what is meant to be a throw back that played like classics does have homing attack.

Advance 2: Homing attack for Sonic. Only worked on enemies. If they weren't in close range, he'd just do the insta-shield instead. I don't think Cheese counts.

Advance 3: Sonic, Tails and Knuckles have the homing attack when partnered with Cream. Tails and Knuckles can use it mid flight/glide, but Sonic has it functioning exactly like the 3D games (except it only works on enemies).

Rush/Rush Adventure: Press 'R' mid-jump to launch the homing attack. If anything, it functions most like the Heroes/ShTH homing attack (though yet again it only works on enemies).

As Sonic 4 is the first main-series 2D title to use the homing attack, I'm not surprised that it works more like we're used to. They're making Sonic 4 as though it's being released in 2010, not 1995. Meaning they're not trying to make another classic title but another game within that series.

EDIT: Why forget all of the assets that have been introduced since '98? Some would really not work with a Sonic 4 (boost) but the homing attack is an all right addition. Truth be told I would rather it was more like it's Rush self than what we have here with target markers and stepping stone enemies, but it really doesn't sound bad at all. Adding the lightdash might be a bit much because ring trails are pretty boring in all the 3D titles though. Grinding could work as well, depending.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

My bets go to the final move being Light Speed Dash.

Game looks great. Forget ya'll.

• Thumbs Up 4

Nice to see that waterfall. I was beginning to think that this level was being called Splash Hill Zone for nothing. Here's to hoping that the water segments have a decent flow like Hydrocity, rather than being a drag like Aquatic Ruin.

Considering this is the first stage, I just want something Angel Island Zone in terms of water. A few small pools to splash around in, and then maybe just one of two larger pools where there's something to do. Keep the awesome water segments to Lost Labyrinth.

Fucking hell.

I'd say it is a biggie. The guy's talking up the fact that it's going to be a Homing Attack cakewalk. "Easy to play fun routes in the air with the Homing Attack" says to me "Hovering badniks over bottomless pits everywhere".

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :angry:

EDIT:

Sonic-4-screenshots-GI.jpg

AND WOULD YOU JUST LOOK AT THAT. There it is. Top right pic.

BAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

You know, it occurs to me that the biggest problem with the homing attack in 3D Sonic games is the bastard camera. Without the technical hitches, it may actually be a fun little addition.

Remember how in Unleashed the homing attack wasn't a massive problem because you could see and hear the larget markers? The only problem it may cause in S4 is a reduction in difficulty.

These were Iizuka's words in sonic adventure DX interview.

"The Homing Attack was first introduced in the original Sonic Adventure game. In previous 2-D Sonic games, players could easily, and quite comfortably bounce off the heads of their enemies, and that really was part of the fun. The question was "How do you do this in 3-D?" That's where we thought of targetting enemies while in the air. By doing this, players can bounce of one enemy, then target the next, and then the next, and then the next. This really allows players to enjoy the same speedy attacks they had in the 2-D Sonic games, in a whole new 3-D world."

Because I agreed with him..

Edited by Jaouad

Anyone who has played Sonic Megamix knows that the homing attack works extremely well in 2D. In fact, I would not be surprised at all if that's where the idea to incorporate it into Sonic 4 came from.

Apparently, the interview also reveals that there are no 'floaty, LBP-like physics' as was claimed in that one (still unconfirmed) playtest, and in the footage we saw leaked. That's what I smiled the most over. If they cleared that up, I don't see a reason in the world why this game shouldn't be a blast to play.

Yes, we know. That's what the homing attack was originally made for. Since Adventure 2 however, it has had a much greater range and serves as an addition to Sonic's arsenal. Why not pop, bang, smash enemies with it? I can think of far worse things to happen to the series than the homing attack being added to Sonic's move list. Namely, the standard jump doing bugger all in 06.

True, good call on MegaMix there Dopply, the Homing Attack sucked in Advance and Rush, but in Megamix it really helped keep the flow of the speed going.

However I am going to miss the bouncing on badniks...

Edited by Lyra

And I'll emphasize that Megamix wasn't trying to be like a classic Sonic game at all.