Awoo.

Sonic 4 interview in latest Nintendo Power

Detective Shadzter

I really wish the Bounce Attack would make some sort of reprise.

If executed properly it could be a fun jump recycle that maintains all the momentum previously used. It'd be great fun to use.

And I'll emphasize that Megamix wasn't trying to be like a classic Sonic game at all.

Does it really matter? The point was that the homing attack worked well in 2D.

Edited by Columind

Actually, no it doesn't. It doesn't work at all.

Seeing as how people just love using Megamix as an example of "homing attack done right" I'll use it just as well. The homing attack in that game is overpowered and acts as a solve-all problem for mostly anything that stands in your way. There's no need for aiming, just mash the air-dash!! At least proponents of the 3D homing attack would like there to be some actual aiming involved when using it.

• Thumbs Up 3

I wonder how the homing attack would work if, instead of going straight into running if you whiff it, you skidded along the ground like Knuckles' gliding. That way it wouldn't be spammable for speed...

Actually, no it doesn't. It doesn't work at all.

Seeing as how people just love using Megamix as an example of "homing attack done right" I'll use it just as well. The homing attack in that game is overpowered and acts as a solve-all problem for mostly anything that stands in your way. There's no need for aiming, just mash the air-dash!! At least proponents of the 3D homing attack would like there to be some actual aiming involved when using it.

THANK YOU!

Fucking hell.

I'd say it is a biggie. The guy's talking up the fact that it's going to be a Homing Attack cakewalk. "Easy to play fun routes in the air with the Homing Attack" says to me "Hovering badniks over bottomless pits everywhere".

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :angry:

EDIT:

Sonic-4-screenshots-GI.jpg

AND WOULD YOU JUST LOOK AT THAT. There it is. Top right pic.

BAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Haha, seriously? Lets dissect this sentence, shall we?

I wanted the user to enjoy an easy-to-play feeling by the attack sequence that this [homing attack] allows, and find the fun routes in the air.

Lets look at some key words here. Like:

Find

Fun Routes

& Air

"Find", obviously means locating, or getting to something that's out of the way. By this, it means that the method described is NOT to get across the normal route, but to get to ALTERNATE ROUTES by use of using the HA.

"Fun Routes", the plural used for "routes", means more than one, again, ALTERNATE ROUTES.

And finally, "Air", helps support the other two key words, as in, routes found above the main route.

And look at that screen shot a little closer. If the Genesis games have ever taught you and me anything, it's that the background looks like you are somewhere near the middle of the level's Y axis, most likely nowhere near the bottom. If it were near the bottom, we'd most likely see more foliage and definitely wouldn't be able to see the sky and the ocean behind those trees and hills.

K?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I wonder how the homing attack would work if, instead of going straight into running if you whiff it, you skidded along the ground like Knuckles' gliding. That way it wouldn't be spammable for speed...

I like that idea. Homing attack leading into a roll

I like that idea A LOT. Why has nobody ever said this before?

Well it certainly beats the Unleashed air boost I tell ya that. In Advance to, using Knuckles forward trick always sent you into a roll when you hit the ground. Used all willy-nilly like you lost all your speed and had to start again. Used well it let you blast through the place unlike anybody else. I'd be up for the homing attack ending in a roll if there was nothing to home on.

I personally find it interesting episode 1 will only have the normal one-hit shield and then the later episodes will introduce things like the Lightning shield and others.

I personally find it interesting episode 1 will only have the normal one-hit shield and then the later episodes will introduce things like the Lightning shield and others.

That wasn't said specifically. He only said that E1 will have the standard shield, and that we'll be pleased by the cast in E2. I think that with the episodic system, there'll be some* tailoring to fan response between releases.

*Because of course a great deal will have been planned beforehand, there won't be a massive amount that they could change.

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiizzzuuuuuuuuukkkaaaaaaaaghhhhhhh!

Do you think the homing attack is cool Mr. Iizuka? You are a really cool guy now Mr. Iizuka? NO. It is not cool.

What I want to do is jump on things. Maybe roll around. WHY do you do this Mr. Iizuka, why.

I noticed you like chains. Do you maybe wear a chain Mr. Iizuka? Are you a chain smoker PERCHANCE?

What. What is it that you have to put this in the game. BAWWWWW.

By the way, I stand by my theory that the new move is the golden sparkly thing we see the leak guy fail at during the last loop spring.

Edited by Cupcake Hedgehog
  • Thumbs Up 2

By the way, I stand by my theory that the new move is the golden sparkly thing we see the leak guy fail at during the last loop spring.

The homing attack. Or well, jump dash since there was nothing around to home in on. That's all you saw.

• Thumbs Up 1

I honestly can't say whether I'm happy about the homing attack or not until I see how it's implemented.

Visually though, I think the game looks stunning, especially that waterfall... :D

The homing attack. Or well, jump dash since there was nothing around to home in on. That's all you saw.

I thought it was the homing at first, but the effect looks different. The homing on the first spring makes a blue streak. Just guessing is all.

I thought it was the homing at first, but the effect looks different. The homing on the first spring makes a blue streak. Just guessing is all.

Judging from the footage when you jump near items like a spring or an enemy a white circle appears as a lock-on target for the homing attack. Once you perform the homing attack the blue streak appears behind Sonic. I think the homing attack wont be so bothersome in this game as it was in the Advance and Rush games, especially with the lock-on target.

Did Iizuka actually say "no LBP physics"? Kind of weird he would compare it to a different game.

Also, why was he talking about floaty physics anyway?

I want to see a scan of the story but the snippets I've hard about it are very exciting. I had a feeling Tails and Knuckles might show up in future episodes but the screenshots make me want this game even more. Everything I hear or see about Sonic 4 just gets me more excited.

• Thumbs Up 1

Also, why was he talking about floaty physics anyway?

Probably because everyone's been complaining about it ever since the alpha version was leaked :P

Regarding the homing attack, it looks like it'll be implemented in a reasonable fashion and will be primarily optional - if you don't want to use it, you shouldn't have to.

At least, that's how I hope they implement it. I don't mind the odd 'cross the gap' section but I don't want them to be overused, especially as classic gameplay is meant to be the focus.

Yes, yes, I know Megamix isn't TRYING to be a classic Sonic game.

But it's worth noting that there's 2 kinds of control schemes, maybe a good idea to implement into Sonic 4?

But it's worth noting that there's 2 kinds of control schemes, maybe a good idea to implement into Sonic 4?

Just mapping the HA to a different button is enough. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be the case for this game, given that trying to jump at the wrong time when you hit a spring can result in doing a spontaneous HA against the spring like in the 3D games.

That's something that really gets to me. You seriously didn't think to map the move to another button? Or was there no room?

Yes, yes, I know Megamix isn't TRYING to be a classic Sonic game.
In what way? I'll admit I'm not particularly familiar with it, but from what I've seen it looks like a classic Sonic game to me.

In what way? I'll admit I'm not particularly familiar with it, but from what I've seen it looks like a classic Sonic game to me.

Because it was BASED off one?

I'm not a big fan of Megamix myself, I prefer the S factor. But I digress.

As Tweaker has said, Megamix isn't trying to be Sonic 4. It doesn't play like one, right from the stage design to the moves/abilities. Megamix is it's own thing.

Because it was BASED off one?

It was a hack of Sonic 1 with an instant-get-through-the-level button.

I don't see how something can be based off of another when it is essentially the exact source material with alternate level design. And I don't see how it isn't trying to be like the classics when it's made from a classic game.

Hmm Izuka worries me. He seems a little out of touch with what people really want.

Homing attack = fun; I don't really think so.

In 2D the homing attack is redundant, there really is no need for it. I would much rather rely on my own skill to bounce across a chain of enemies to a new route, THAT is something that would be fun. I really doubt the HA is going to be something we'll get to avoid using either, to me it sounds like you won't have to use it if you don't want to, but I can see special or hidden routes to say the special zone only being accessible by using a HA route. What could be more simpler and more classic than Jump on enemy to kill?

The next thing that makes me think he's out of touch is the fact that he thinks people wont pay for an actual physical copy of the game!? Umm yeah no. I'd much rather have a FULL game on a disc then have to piss about with downloading crap. Episodic to me just says "get to play a chunk of an unfinished game" and will leave me unfullfilled. Also I really think wii owners should stop letting the team down, not releasing this as one big game just because it would upset them due to small console space -Really!? Go get a console that is capable or don't bother with games! I know it sounds harsh, and I am in no way a Wii hater as I own a Wii, but it annoys me that game makers cripple their multiplatform titles just to cater for the less powerfull Wii.

Only the basic shield in Episode 1? Well that sucks. Does that mean no invincibility? I was really hoping to plough through a level or two with the classic invincibilty tune (maybe remixed a tad) blasting.

Only good thing I see is that Tails and Knuckles should be making an appearance in Episode 2. Hopefully that means a return to Angel Island, if Knuckles is in it and not there I will be annoyed - and if they're going to be ripping off classic levels this much they may as well just do a remake of some S3&K levels, that'd be sweet.

Edited by The-Master-Board
  • Thumbs Up 1

You know what, If Tails and Knuckles are in future episodes, can I hope for them to transform? Well Knuckles at least.

I'd love to see them take the end all be all shot at a modern Super Knuckles. (Cause they totally didn't try in Heroes)

Oh wow, you just reminded me that this could be the big return of Super Knuckles.