Awoo.

Sonic 4 interview in latest Nintendo Power

Detective Shadzter

I'll never understand where anyone got the idea that that pulley operates like the one from Launch Base Zone. Looks to me more like the one from Sonic Unleashed, and here it appears to basically be serving as a stand in for grinding.

I'm holding out hope for it to be manipulated by momentum. I'm pretty sure the original screens taken from the debut trailer show Sonic diving at it at an angle.

Not sure what function having the zip line spin at the end of its travel would have. They worked that way in Angel Island Zone to let you get to higher places, but there doesn't

I'm holding out hope for it to be manipulated by momentum. I'm pretty sure the original screens taken from the debut trailer show Sonic diving at it at an angle.

The one's in Unleashed were manipulated by momentum... kind of. It was basically just maintained the speed at which Sonic was traveling when he grabbed it.

But about them being a stand in for grinding, I suppose the best way to describe it would be as an intellectually lazy way to get from point A to point B. Just draw a line however you want just so long as it ends where you need it to. That's probably the biggest problem with a bunch of the moves they've introduced, they have this tenancy to be used more as some kind of crutch to get somewhere than as an actual mechanic to do something with. They're used the same in almost every level, and there isn't a lot of distinction between the movers themselves a lot of the time.

So the rest of the GameInformer scans never surfaced? Would have been nice to read.

Nope, no subscribers have scanned them or the Nintendo Power articles up yet. I imagine when they're out in the shops(dont know when that is) someone will scan them.

I'm a subscriber but I never get the issues on time. It's not due to hit stores until next week. If I get it before then I'll be sure to let everyone know if there is anything new going on.

Sonic made the top header. Looks like they might have some good info. Might.

I'm tempted to go look for an issue myself, but the places near me always get new mags late.

Don't bother. I have the Nintendo Power 2010 calendar and it lists the dates which new issues of Nintendo Power hit the stands. The next issue won't be in stores until next week. Subscribers should get it before then, but we'll see.

Also don't be fooled by the cover. Just because Sonic made the cover doesn't mean they will have anything substantial on Sonic 4. Sonic sells and that's why he's on the cover. I'm not saying they won't have some new news, but don't think it will be an info blow out just because Sonic made the cover.

HOLY FUCK, that's a LOT of new screens... And the boss looks epic now!

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the scans, Illuminous_Orb! Those screens look sweet.

Oh, and see guys? There is a new element in the good old ball and chain fight. :D

EDIT: Wait... I typed up this post as I was looking at the screens while the images were loading. But now they stopped loading and just appear as red X's, even when I reload. Anyone else having this problem?

EDIT 2: Never mind, they wouldn't load in Internet Explorer for some reason, but now they load fine in Firefox.

Edited by gamerguy21

One major thing of note is that the first boss is in fact going to have a twist to it; Eggman will spin the ball 360 degrees after 3 hits to making him harder to hit. Sounds nice, and I'm glad that they're doing something new with it.

The rest I have too much of a headache too remember, but it does sound like they took the Genesis games in mind when creating this, most notable being Sonic 2.

All we can hope for is that the gameplay speaks for their words in the coming months.

Edited by Black Spy

Also don't be fooled by the cover. Just because Sonic made the cover doesn't mean they will have anything substantial on Sonic 4. Sonic sells and that's why he's on the cover. I'm not saying they won't have some new news, but don't think it will be an info blow out just because Sonic made the cover.

I was just about to agree with that, then I checked out Illumnious_Orb's post. Sweet! Reading scans now...

Seems to be being positively received. And the boss gets a bit more pissy. And loads of alternate routes. If nothing else, they're damn trying.

Thanks for the scans Illuminous_Orb!

Is anyone able to convert the scans from png to jpg? I've run them through a converting site but they're taking forever to e-mail even one page back to me. Our Word Press won't accept them the way they are right now.

Thanks for posting the scans Illuminous_Orb :)

I guess now that we know that there are only four zones (E.G.G. Station Zone probably along the lines of Final Zone/Death Egg Zone) we just need to worry about the layout :P. Though from those screenshots, which probably aren't the best thing to base anything on, I think at the very least the first levels will rather well structured. I do have a small worry about just how large a range the Homing Attack will have though.

As a side-note: anyone else think that the render of Sonic running looks awesome?

Looking very good so far. A little disappointed that the homing attack works on bosses but it seems they're being designed to still provide a challenge with it. Iizuka even stated that he's not doing the level designs so enemy chains might be used effectively here.

Edited by Dat Kool Bat Guy

urm... is it just me or have they all gone?

Edited by Casanova

Is anyone able to convert the scans from png to jpg? I've run them through a converting site but they're taking forever to e-mail even one page back to me. Our Word Press won't accept them the way they are right now.

Will simply copy-pasting them in MS Paint and saving them as jpg files work? If so, I'll do it.

Edited by gamerguy21

In the confrontation we saw, for instance, he starts by swinging a wrecking ball just as he did in the very first boss battle from the original game. Once you hit the good doctor three times, however, he kicks it into overdrive and starts to spin the ball 360 degrees, making it far more difficult to avoid.

Can the people screaming 'rehash' shut their mouths now?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Will simply copy-pasting them in MS Paint and saving them as jpg files work? If so, I'll do it.

Didn't think of that, I'll give it a try.

After reading those scans. I can say it looks really good. Reading that the boss isn't just a rehash but a remix really made me happy.

Other than that Iizuka shouldn't have avoided so many fans who asked for certain options. Option for no homing attack(like in megamix) wouldn't have been such a hard thing to do. All it would take is to remove the function from the button. Also Iizuka confirmed that there will never be such a thing as a classic model. You guys can say what you want, lower my reputation or whatever. But IMO I think it's really a dick move to ignore a lot of peoples requests, especially when the people who ask for certain things are a large croud.

A classic model and a homing attack option would change this game into perfection. Who is going to make him understand? If I were the guy who interviewed him I would tell him to do it before the game comes out. No buts, just do it.

Other than that, the game looks amazing ;)

Edited by Jaouad
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 3

This looks quite good! Of course, I'll reserve judgment until we get real, final build gameplay footage, and of course, until I've played it.

Also, for those of you who wanted classic Sonic in this game, Iizuka gave this:

NP:"With so many other retro elements included, why not bring back Sonic's original pot-bellied design?"

Iizuka:"That's because Sonic 4 is a brand new game, not a remake...all Sonic character designs were changed in 1998, so since then, all new titles have those new designs"

Ninja'd by Jaouad :P

But anyway this probably means we're not going to see classic Sonic again.

EDIT: You know what would be terrible? If classic Sonic was DLC. Not him being added to the game, just having to pay for black eyes and short quills.

Edited by Ekaje
  • Thumbs Up 1

This looks quite good! Of course, I'll reserve judgment until we get real, final build gameplay footage, and of course, until I've played it.

Also, for those of you who wanted classic Sonic in this game, Iizuka gave this:

NP:"With so many other retro elements included, why not bring back Sonic's original pot-bellied design?"

Iizuka:"That's because Sonic 4 is a brand new game, not a remake...all Sonic character designs were changed in 1998, so since then, all new titles have those new designs"

That's just a statement of what happened, not a justification of why they did it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I just hope we won't have to wait too long between episode releases. It really sounds as if he's trying to make it close as possible to the gameplay of the classic games (considering how many times "classic series" comes up).