Awoo.

Sonic 4 interview in latest Nintendo Power

Detective Shadzter

That's just a statement of what happened, not a justification of why they did it.

Maybe, but as ChaosSupremeSonic said, it might be a justification based on it being a new game, it might not, but it doesn't really matter since it comes to the same thing. *coveringmyasswithanotherpersonsargumentbecauseIsuckatthinkingupgoodcounterarguments*

But back on topic, glad to see the bosses won't be total rehashes, and did anyone else notice that the speed shoes monitor is red while the 10 ring box is normal gray?

Also, there was a much clearer pic of the Homing attack than we've seen before.

ss.jpg?t=1268173174

Edited by Ekaje

That was a nice read, and had some tasty screens to boot. I still don't think this is going to come close to succeeding over S3&K, but there's a good chance I'll like it as much as the other classic games.

Wish there was some pics of the later zones, but since there's only 4 (and the Final) I suppose it's best not to reveal too much.

Can the people screaming 'rehash' shut their mouths now?

Based off of what NP said, and the new image that shows Eggman trying to smash the hedgehog instead of simply swinging the wrecking ball...yeah, "rehashed" isn't going to come out of my mouth anymore.

And with the Homing Attack said to add to the experience instead of how people normally thought about it, I'm really looking foward to seeing the move in action on this classic-styled game.

I'm actually more interested in this game now that I was before.

That's just a statement of what happened, not a justification of why they did it.

Actually, that does sound more like a justification of why they did it.

From how I'm reading it, they did it because this is a new game, and because all character designs were changed after Sonic 3 & Knuckles, all new titles will have those designs. So unless they decide to want to go back to the old design sometime in the future, all Sonic games from now on will use the new design.

Either way, it doesn't really matter regardless of how you look at it.

• Thumbs Up 1

So where's the part where he mentions it won't have floaty physics?

The MS Paint thing worked, don't know why I didn't think of it earlier. I'm too tired to read through it all and make a full report, got the scans out there and the important part of Jun Senoue doing the music for the game in there. No-one will care for reading me reporting details on it when its all in the scans anyway :lol:

So where's the part where he mentions it won't have floaty physics?

That's the Game Informer interview not the Nintendo Power one, we got the screenshot scans from the GI article a few days ago but no-one has scanned the interview segment up yet

I forgot to mention....

Jun Senoue doing the music....YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!

Jun Senoue doing the music is really great news indeed. Especially when it's going to be in 16-bit style, which is where Jun really was best at imo. I have no doubt about the music being top notch

Edited by Jaouad

One key thing that interested me was that they said the homing attack actually ADDED to the gameplay rather than detract from it which makes me more interested to see how it turns out.

Breaking News! The HA is 100% OPTIONAL! And you can still use the alternative routes without using the HA if your skilled enough by jumping on the enemys and pressing the jump button when you hit them to get extra air.

Did I mention the HA is optional and you can still jump on enemies?

Edited by Pearl

From how I'm reading it, they did it because this is a new game, and because all character designs were changed after Sonic 3 & Knuckles, all new titles will have those designs. So unless they decide to want to go back to the old design sometime in the future, all Sonic games from now on will use the new design.

Either way, it doesn't really matter regardless of how you look at it.

Makes sense to me. What's ironic is that people have to refer to Sonic's current look as "new" when talking about Sonic 4. It's not new... it's been in use longer than the classic design.

I believe NP said that there are 4 zones in this game, so I hope episode 2 won't be too far off from the first episode.

Edited by Light
  • Thumbs Up 1

One key thing that interested me was that they said the homing attack actually ADDED to the gameplay rather than detract from it which makes me more interested to see how it turns out.

Yep, the fact that they're using the blue Bubbles badniks for the HA chains seems to hint that they might be swapped for the deadlier red ones in later stages like I suggested, requiring a lot more skill than just spam A.

Breaking News! The HA is 100% OPTIONAL! And you can still use the alternative routes without using the HA if your skilled enough by jumping on the enemys and pressing the jump button when you hit them to get extra air.

Did I mention the HA is optional and you can still jump on enemies?

With an emphasis on OPTIONAL? Yeah. :lo:

Also in regards to skill in using the Homing Attack, you also have to be careful in using it as well. Since the first boss changes strategies right after the third hit and he begins to swing the wrecking ball in a 360 circle, you're not going to be able to just HA him the whole fight.

They really thought about balancing the HA instead of it being a spamming move. Now all we need is some action footage.

Nice to see that the Wii version looks just a nice as the 360 version. I wish Nintendo Power would have asked better questions though. Like can the episodes link together (ala Sonic3&K) once they're all downloaded so we can play one long continuous adventure instead of having to load up each episode separately.

Edited by speedfreak

Seems like everyone saying there are only 4 zones were right afterall. What were people expecting? This is only Episode 1, it's not a big deal that we have 4 Zones with 3 acts each. That's 12 stages! Not bad at all for one episode, that's about as many stages as Sonic Advance!

Anyway, reading the rest. It's actually sounding really good! NP even mentioned the infamous "AMAGAD MOMENTUM AND PHYSICS R IMPORTANT" thing, which means SEGA definitely know what they're doing. And taking new stage design to incorporate HA as a positive thing? Noice.

Naysayers should quiet down a bit hm?

ITT: Wishful thinking.

Also, while I'm not a supporter of the classic look by any means, the excuse he gave for not using it is bullcrap.

Also if Senoue is really behind the music, then I am disappoint.

Seems like everyone saying there are only 4 zones were right afterall. What were people expecting? This is only Episode 1, it's not a big deal that we have 4 Zones with 3 acts each. That's 12 stages! Not bad at all for one episode, that's about as many stages as Sonic Advance!

Do we know whether or not the 3rd acts are in fact acts and not glorified boss rushes a la Sonic CD?

• Thumbs Up 1

Do we know whether or not the 3rd acts are in fact acts and not glorified boss rushes a la Sonic CD?

Pretty sure the boss is a separate thing from Act 3, I recall it being listed as such in the leaked footage.

IIRC, it's like Sonic Rivals 2, where there are three acts, and then a fourth act with only a boss battle.

Must be loaded with Rings if we have to use Super Sonic for the achievement.

I haven't been to neogaf today, but I bet that their complaints have risen if anything. Especially since Iizuka blew off Sonic's classic model like it was nothing, levels are apparently designed with the Homing Attack in mind, and the scans show another boost pad as well. Most likely a lot of rage going on.

I'm pretty sure the Alpha testers didn't say anything about that. Act 1 was day, and the later acts got closer to night. If anything it'll be more like Sonic 1, with bosses at the end of Act 3.

ITT: Wishful thinking.

Hey, I only said a bit. Naysayers have been saying things like "Ah SEGA have no idea what made the classic games good" but it seems like they're perfectly aware that it was about momentum and platforming to me.

EDIT: Wouldn't making a big deal out of Sonic's Classic Model just make things worse? The fans would jump to conclusions like "ZGOM HE SAID CLASSIC SONIC IS IMPORTANT THAT MEANS THERE'S STILL A CHANCE HE COULD RETURN"

Edited by Lyra

considering that we've seen platforming shots of Splash Hill at Dusk...

considering that we've seen platforming shots of Splash Hill at Dusk...

Which does nothing to prove anything either way. Which is why I asked if we knew.

Edited by Tornado

One thing I'd like to know... why did they bring back the Star Posts when Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 (and Unleashed) both used the posts from Sonic 1? I wonder if they're gonna start putting Star Posts in the 3D games?

Edited by Lyra

Which does nothing to prove anything either way. Which is why I asked if we knew.

The dusk shots are from the latter acts. The third act is a later act. O_o I would think that proves it.

So I kind of wanted the homing attack to be like that. Like you know how Knuckles had his sections of S3&K, and how certain enemies became easier if you knew how to insta-shield, I'm glad the homing is given appropriate gimmick in this game. As long as it doesn't degenerate into a spam-fest or give way to abuse at any point in the game, I'm happy with that. I see the homing as a generally useless move used to band-aid 3D problems. Which means if you bring it into 2D you need to find other applications for it. I'm looking forward to seeing what else they're planning for the move. Any new homing gimmick is okay with me.

For the classic design. Who gives a shit anymore. Are people still on about this? I was disappointed too, but it's over now.

About the levels... I was predicting 6 + Final. Part of the reason was because I suspected the 3rd act was just like Sonic 1, with the boss on the selection screen for "jump-to" convenience. But with only 4 zones it pretty much guarantees the 3rd act will have a signpost and not a boss for emerald collection purposes.

OH, and that pic with the boss smashing the floor is awesome. Same with Sonic's falling backwards and braking animation. And Sonic flips backwards off the boss!

Edited by Cupcake Hedgehog