Awoo.

I'm not totally sure what's going on with Hopeless Masquerade, but it seems that they'll be revealing a character each day til its release on Sunday. That's pretty cool!

So far we've got;

• Byakuren Hijiri (!!!!!!!!)
  • Mononobe no Futo
  • Toyosatomimi no Miko
  • Nitori Kawashiro (???)
  • Koishi Komeji

I have no idea how Nitori is related to the events of this game, but I'm not really complaining because she has some brilliant stage and boss music that I hope will be remixed!! If they really are revealing a character a day, I'm looking forward to seeing who comes next! Though if the character appears in a stage cameo then I wouldn't count on it. It seems cool that they're focusing on characters who haven't been playable before, despite fan favourites like Yukari, Sanae and Sakuya missing out.

If you have a favourite character who isn't in the stage backgrounds, start praying! :*

If you have a favourite character who isn't in the stage backgrounds, start praying! :*

Way ahead of you, pal. I'm praying for either Yuyuko or Komachi. Some Meiling wouldn't hurt either.

• Thumbs Up 1

I sort of expected Mamizou, it was strange that she wasn't in the backgrounds anywhere when all the other major characters from TH12 and 13 appeared playable or in the bg somewhere.

Still, it's a shame that there's possibly no other characters besides Mamizou :c

So I tired out Touhou 9 (Cherry Blossom Shootout or some shit, I forgot the subtitle)

Great Game. I suck, but it's really fun. 

Thank god for Reimu. Her almost non-existent hitbox makes it much easier for me.

Should I try out Touhouvania, or Touhoumon next?

So I tired out Touhou 9 (Cherry Blossom Shootout or some shit, I forgot the subtitle)

Great Game. I suck, but it's really fun. 

Thank god for Reimu. Her almost non-existent hitbox makes it much easier for me.

Should I try out Touhouvania, or Touhoumon next?

Phantasmagoria of Flower View :P the gameplay in that one is confusing imo, it's easy but I think that's cause it just doesn't work that well.

I would recommend 8 or 13 which I think are the easiest traditional shootem ups in the series (maybe that's just me tho)

Also, there's a Touhouvania?? Cause if there is, I need to be notified of its existence ASAP D:

Yep. It's a sidescroller like the NES games, but controls like the Metroidvania games. (Reimu even has the exact same walking animation as Alucard :U)

It looked pretty fun.

Yep. It's a sidescroller like the NES games, but controls like the Metroidvania games. (Reimu even has the exact same walking animation as Alucard :U)

It looked pretty fun.

Hot daamn.

I'm gonna try and get into that when I finish with Uni.

Are there any other Metroidvania Touhous? I tried to find some recently but to no avail :C )

Ok so Hopeless Masquerade came out and obviously there was gonna be a new final boss, she's called Hata no Kokoro and she messes with emotions or something.

800px-Th135_Kokoro1.png

I like her design.

And hey look as if by magic Mamizou was playable too!

570px-Th135_Mamizou1.png

The background is littered with cameos. Interestingly, the only notable post-Touhou 6 characters who don't seem to appear anywhere in the game are Meiling, Flandre, and Yamame. Though.. obv the game only just came out so maybe they'll be found.

Also three of the bosses so far for 14 are a dullahan, a mermaid, and a werewolf, so that's cool. Maybe it'll be based on western mythology?

Edited by SuperLink

Obviously, that isn't ZUNs art :3

Yeah it's TasoFro/Twilight Frontier's art, they do the art for the fighting games and a lot of fanart (I think their fav character is Meiling)

ZUN's art has gotten a bit better though;

484780_10151600648689020_970351058_n.jpg

...A bit.

Personally I was hoping for Shikieiki Yamaxanadu and Flandre (especially since we had Komachi and Remilia in the past) to debut in their fighting game appearances but I'm fine with Koishi. Koishi was a bit out of the blue though and some of her moves do make me laugh, namely her random sneezing attack. I'm also a bit surprised Sanae isn't playable either since she's one of main characters technically and she is looking for popularity power. But Hopeless Masquerade is pretty fun regardless.

I can't wait for the next Touhou game. Don't know what ZUN has in store this time around.

Flandre hasn't appeared in any official game since EoSD (except Shoot the Bullet I think?), I think they sealed her away at the end or something unlike other youkai which just kind of hang out and make friends with everyone after they get beaten up. She's also one of the only characters who doesn't appear at all in Hopeless Masquerade, every other extra boss does, and afaik the only other bosses who don't appear at all are Yamame and Meiling. (playable Meiling imminent? TasoFro love her too much to not include her anywhere)

I'm surprised at the lack of Sanae too, I kinda expected her to be a permanent third character. I'm still hoping she'll return for 14 though.. we've only seen the demo afterall.

Edited by SuperLink

Speaking of Flandre, I found this pretty catchy:

Almost every remix I've found of this song was extremely shitty, know any good ones?

• Thumbs Up 1

The one you get in the Ronald McDonald video is ok (this one).

Generally I prefer the original to any remixes I've heard tho :c it just works really well with its original format.

Biggest disappointment with HM soundtrack: no Fires of Hokkai or The Gensokyo The Gods Loved remixes! I know I should be happy that Emotional Skyscraper and Candid Friend got lovely remixes but man the other two are two of my favourite tracks in the series.

Oh yeah speaking of which;

That's the HM remix of Candid Friend, it's definitely really really nice.