Awoo.

An Itch To Play Sonic R

RedYellowBlueCR

Hey all!

Forgive me if there is already a topic on this, but I'm in need of help!

I have wanted to play Sonic R really bad recently, but the thing is, it doesn't seem to like 64-bit Windows 7. I keep receiving a error saying that its not compatible with my current 64-Bit architecture. I really don't want to go through the trouble of a 32-bit virtual machine. Dose anyone know a work around? Thanks!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Infomaniac

• Stan7th

• RedYellowBlueCR

• Velotix von Skruviktorrius

That's very odd because Win64 platforms have a built-in Win32 compatibility layer that's pretty much flawless and allows 32-bit programs to run seamlessly.

This is probably more a problem of Sonic R being very old and in need of a patch to correct the compatibility problem. I'm not sure one exists at this time though.

I'm sorry I couldn't be more help - your best bet is to hit Google and either check for a fanmade fix or an official patch.

There's no surefire way of getting Sonic R to run in anything on Windows XP or higher, regardless of bit (mine is 32). I managed to get it to work on a few other computers once upon a time, but my current one is adamant about not running it. I don't think a patch exists out there - believe me I've looked.

Oh right... moved.

According to the Wiki, there are different versions of Sonic R on the PC (one of which with XP comparability fixed, apparently), which is something to take into account as well.

Edited by Tornado

In general, if it can run on XP, it'll run on Vista and 7 as well.

If you're absolutely stuck for options, as a last resort you could simply get an emulator and an ISO of the Saturn version. Okay, the PC version has a few improvements over the Saturn version, but from an ethical standpoint, if you own the game legally for PC anyway...

Do you not have any consoles you could get Gems Collection for?

Ya if your having issues running it on your PC, then I agree with what Mahzes said. If you have a console to run the Gems collection, than that would be your best bet.

Sad thing is that I've finally played the Saturn Version a few months back.

I can't offer you any advice, but you've got me itching to play Sonic R again now too!

Man I love that game... B)

*can feel the sunshine*

I've been wanting to play Sonic R for quite some time. I'm sorry, but an emulator or some kind of collection that's included on for a current console wouldn't cut it for me. I would have to play Sonic R on the Sega Saturn. It just didn't feel the same on a newer console and especially on an emulator. Then I guess I won't be playing Sonic R any time soon.

Hmm, that is weird. Velotix is right, 32-bit programs should run just fine on 64-bit 7.

However, my copy of Sonic R has a 16-bit INSTALLER. The 16-bit architecture was phased out for Windows Vista and is no longer supported if I remember correctly, so that could be why it isn't running. I don't have time to google it at the moment so I'm not sure if there's a work around for getting the 16-bit subsystem to run on a 64-bit installation of 7. Have a look around and good luck! :)

If that is your problem, and you do somehow find a way around it and install Sonic R, you're very likely to get the infamous "The program has encountered a program at adress 004801d9 and cannot continue" error. My memory of why this happens is a little sketchy, but what happens is that for a reason which currently escapes me Sonic R tries to determine the speed of your processor. Of course processors are much faster now than in 1998, and if the value between clocks or something is smaller than the program would expect it gets rounded to zero. Of course, the program crashes when it tries to divide by zero to work out the processor speed and spews out an error.

If you hold down "enter" over sonicr.exe (should be found wherever you installed Sonic R to) eventually the program tends to run, even if you have about 50 error dialogues by the end of it. If you're feeling a little brave and want to fix this permanently, what you need to do is go download a hexeditor (I recommend XVI32). Once you've done that, open up sonicr.exe in it, and change these values:

(first number is the address, second number is the old value, third number is what you need to change it to)

00070584: 2E B8

00070585: FF 31

00070586: 15 00

00070587: 8C 00

00070588: 05 00

00070589: 95 90

0007058A: 00 90

000705A0: 2E B8

000705A1: FF 01

000705A2: 15 00

000705A3: 8C 00

000705A4: 05 00

000705A5: 95 90

000705A6: 00 90

It's fairly easy to do. Just copy sonicr.exe somewhere else before you start fiddling with it in case you muck it up.

Any other problems you might have later, such as no music, you can find the answers to in the Sonic R Compatibility FAQ..

I love Sonic R too, and also had a lot of these errors. My determination to play it anyway ended up paying off, good luck to you as well and I hope you find a solution! A lot of people hate Sonic R, but I say it's worth it.

If your computer is powerful enough, you could always emulate Sonic Gems Collection on Dolphin or some-such other equivalent...

Quite honestly, I think that it would probably be easier to attempt GameCube emulation than muck around with hexes or the Saturn version...

Extryn, that hex editor really works? I'm going to go try that right now.

EDIT: Got it to work (thanks!), but is there any way for me to make the game not look like total ass? I swear I remember this game running at full speed on my older computer which also was XP.

I also need to figure out how to change the resolution so it won't look completely stretched on my widescreen monitor.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the little bump, but I've been wanting to play Sonic R, too. Just dug out the old PC disc. :P

Wow, thanks a ton for that hex edit help. I'm going to attempt to patch the Network Patch .exe with it, that way, maybe we can all have a little online Sonic R match. :lol:

Edited by Dopply

I occasionally like to dig out Sonic R for a bit of nostalgia too, along with Sonic CD, both of which I originally had on the PC, but I find that the quickest, easiest and cheapest way of doing so is to grab an old used PS2 (like £20 now) with Sonic Gems Collection (like £1 on Amazon).

Hmm, that is weird. Velotix is right, 32-bit programs should run just fine on 64-bit 7.

However, my copy of Sonic R has a 16-bit INSTALLER. The 16-bit architecture was phased out for Windows Vista and is no longer supported if I remember correctly, so that could be why it isn't running. I don't have time to google it at the moment so I'm not sure if there's a work around for getting the 16-bit subsystem to run on a 64-bit installation of 7. Have a look around and good luck! :)

If that is your problem, and you do somehow find a way around it and install Sonic R, you're very likely to get the infamous "The program has encountered a program at adress 004801d9 and cannot continue" error. My memory of why this happens is a little sketchy, but what happens is that for a reason which currently escapes me Sonic R tries to determine the speed of your processor. Of course processors are much faster now than in 1998, and if the value between clocks or something is smaller than the program would expect it gets rounded to zero. Of course, the program crashes when it tries to divide by zero to work out the processor speed and spews out an error.

If you hold down "enter" over sonicr.exe (should be found wherever you installed Sonic R to) eventually the program tends to run, even if you have about 50 error dialogues by the end of it. If you're feeling a little brave and want to fix this permanently, what you need to do is go download a hexeditor (I recommend XVI32). Once you've done that, open up sonicr.exe in it, and change these values:

(first number is the address, second number is the old value, third number is what you need to change it to)

00070584: 2E B8

00070585: FF 31

00070586: 15 00

00070587: 8C 00

00070588: 05 00

00070589: 95 90

0007058A: 00 90

000705A0: 2E B8

000705A1: FF 01

000705A2: 15 00

000705A3: 8C 00

000705A4: 05 00

000705A5: 95 90

000705A6: 00 90

It's fairly easy to do. Just copy sonicr.exe somewhere else before you start fiddling with it in case you muck it up.

Any other problems you might have later, such as no music, you can find the answers to in the Sonic R Compatibility FAQ..

I love Sonic R too, and also had a lot of these errors. My determination to play it anyway ended up paying off, good luck to you as well and I hope you find a solution! A lot of people hate Sonic R, but I say it's worth it.

i tried this and it didnt work, i dont get the error anymore and it list the process in task manager but there is no game. im using win 7 64 bit could this be the problem?

i tried this and it didnt work, i dont get the error anymore and it list the process in task manager but there is no game. im using win 7 64 bit could this be the problem?

Wait, how did you get it to install to begin with?!?

Here's a more up to date version that can run on XP, I don't know if it's region locked.

http://www.avanquest.com/UK/software/sonic-double-pack-100008?meta=play&cat=action&sub=retro#sec_2

System requirements -

• Pentium 133MHz

• 32MB RAM

• 4X CD-ROM Drive

• 80MB free hard disk space,

• 16-bit sound card

• 32MB graphics card

• Direct X 7.0 or higher

It's also a bit cheaper at Zavvi -

http://www.zavvi.com/games/platforms/pc/sonic-r/sonic-3d/9976855.html

Avanquest don't deliver outside the UK but Zavvi do -

We deliver to addresses both inside the UK and outside the UK with the exception of Russia and Brazil.

http://help.zavvi.com/index.php?action=artikel&cat=7&id=40&artlang=en

Don't know if that's of any help, I can't find this version on any U.S. site.

Wait, how did you get it to install to begin with?!?

it installed when i used the 98 compatibility mode. and repeated trys. i dont know why it works sometimes and not other but buy clicking enough times it eventually worked.

it installed when i used the 98 compatibility mode. and repeated trys. i dont know why it works sometimes and not other but buy clicking enough times it eventually worked.

I see, I got it to install, thanks!

Also, Someone wouldn't mind sending me a modified .exe file would they? I'm not exactly hex savvy. lol

Edit: Ok, thanks to Jake for the modified .exe! It boots, but I have another problem now. It comes to the screen where your supposed to choose between Direct3D or DirectDraw, and it freezes there. I can't do anything with it. I tried compatibility mode with Windows XP and Windows 98 and still nothing. Any ideas?

Edited by HighCaliburFun

I see, I got it to install, thanks!

Also, Someone wouldn't mind sending me a modified .exe file would they? I'm not exactly hex savvy. lol

Edit: Ok, thanks to Jake for the modified .exe! It boots, but I have another problem now. It comes to the screen where your supposed to choose between Direct3D or DirectDraw, and it freezes there. I can't do anything with it. I tried compatibility mode with Windows XP and Windows 98 and still nothing. Any ideas?

no idea thats as far as ive made it as well, hopefully someone a bit more tech savy can figure this out.

no idea thats as far as ive made it as well, hopefully someone a bit more tech savy can figure this out.

is there a way to force 16 bit maybe?

i tired virtual xp and that didn't work.

• 2 months later...

It can be done, I've done it. At least on Windows 7 Ultimate that is, if you need any help with your problem I am all ears [:

It comes to the screen where your supposed to choose between Direct3D or DirectDraw, and it freezes there. I can't do anything with it. I tried compatibility mode with Windows XP and Windows 98 and still nothing. Any ideas?

this, basically. the entire computer froze and i had to re-log in.

• 2 months later...

I know this is an old topic but can someone upload the modified exe, a lot of people (including myself) are not skilled enough to modify our exes. Thanks in advance for the upload

Find the executable file and right click and look at properties. Find the option "run at 640x480 resolution" aqnd select it.

Now it should be working