Awoo.

An Itch To Play Sonic R

RedYellowBlueCR

Sounds like 64-bit Windows doesnt like the old direct X stuff too

Are you running the professional or ultimate version of Windows 7? If so dig out your Windows 7 Disc and install XP Mode. It gives you a virtual version of Windows XP for running older applications in (the only downside is it will eat up 16 GB of hard drive space too on top of the 16GB Windows 7 already occupies)

OR

An easier variant on this idea might be to follow this thread and set up a Virtual Machine with Windows 98. It's like running an emulator, but closer to a PC and possibly more advisable than Saturn emulation (which to this day still requires pretty high specs to run even at a good speed, without graphical issues or glitches). I might even try that myself, as I have the older release of Sonic CD that wont run in anything lower than Windows ME...

Incidentally this solution was one of the first results up on google when I searched it (yahoo answers can be pretty useful sometimes ; ) )

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Infomaniac

• Stan7th

• RedYellowBlueCR

• Velotix von Skruviktorrius

Sorry for the double post but i found out that the easiest way to play this game is to get an windows xp vm going in vmware,install the game ,set the sonicr.exe to windows 98 compatibility mode with run in 640x480 checked,then check disable visual themes before you play and thats how you get sonic r pc to work.

I have two different copies of Sonic R. Different, though both are re-packaged versions. One of them runs on everything I throw it at and the other one doesn't.

It shouldn't be too hard to get a copy of it from eBay (don't bother looking for a copy that looks nice, go for the cheapest version). Where I live, you can get a copy of Sonic R for the PC below a dollar.

Though the best way to ensure that you'll be able to play the game is to get Gems Collection and emulate it.

I have two different copies of Sonic R. Different, though both are re-packaged versions. One of them runs on everything I throw it at and the other one doesn't.

It shouldn't be too hard to get a copy of it from eBay (don't bother looking for a copy that looks nice, go for the cheapest version). Where I live, you can get a copy of Sonic R for the PC below a dollar.

Though the best way to ensure that you'll be able to play the game is to get Gems Collection and emulate it.

can you upload an iso of the working one here also does the working one have music in it?

Edited by Infomaniac

You can download it from CGN Abandonware. It's the PC version.

EDIT: You must make a free account there.

EDIT2: No music in this version.

Edited by baba

i forgot to mention that my version is an original expert soft version so it has the music.

Ok i hex edited my exe but when i get into the game all the options have x's on them except the options icon and the the music isnt working for me but i know my copy has music cause when i open the game with a media player i hear all of the music.

Edited by Infomaniac

• 4 months later...