Awoo.

Nintendo 3DS

Patticus

Nintendo DS2 Information Unearthed at GDC 2010

One of my missions for Game Developers Conference 2010 was to get more information on the successor to the Nintendo DS. I heard some cool rumblings about it in February and wanted to use the show to pester developers for confirmation. While nobody would tell me the name of the new handheld or the exact dimensions, I was able to extract some pretty cool tidbits on the “DS2″.

* The system has two screens, just like the DS, but they are bigger and higher resolution. I’m sure most of you could have guessed that, but the interesting part is that the gap between the two screens is negligible. Developers will be able to use them as one giant screen. At the very least, this will allow for some awesome cutscenes. It also has some potentially cool gameplay potential, with developers shifting the action from dual screen to single screen depending on the situation.

* The next Nintendo handheld has an accelerometer. I blame the iPhone for this. Everything has to have an accelerometer now. Yesterday I bought a sandwich at the Moscone Center and it had an accelerometer in it.

* The dev kit is similar in power to the GameCube. Developers that worked on GameCube or Wii games will find it easy to create with. I found this information unusual. The DS successor is rumored to use an Nvidia Tegra chip, while the GameCube and Wii have PowerPC CPUs and ATI GPUs. The people familiar with the dev kit made it sound like there wasn’t much of a learning curve on the new system. I have to admit that I’m not familiar enough with Tegra, but I imagined developing for a system-on-a-chip platform to be different enough from developing for a CPU/GPU system. It could be ignorance on my part or maybe the DS2 uses something other than Tegra.

* The developers I spoke with will be finished with their games before the end of the year. The Nintendo DS is still going strong and the company could delay the next handheld’s release if it wanted to, but it looks like an E3 2010 announcement and a late 2010 release.

http://rpad.tv/2010/03/12/nintendo-ds2-information-unearthed-at-gdc-2010/

Please have Wind Waker re-release. Please have Wind Waker re-release. Please have Wind Waker re-release. Please have Wind Waker re-release. Please have Wind Waker re-release. Please have Wind Waker re-release. Please have Wind Waker re-release. Please have Wind Waker re-release.

• Thumbs Up 3

* The developers I spoke with will be finished with their games before the end of the year. The Nintendo DS is still going strong and the company could delay the next handheld’s release if it wanted to, but it looks like an E3 2010 announcement and a late 2010 release.

Makes me happy face :D, but anyways, gotta say that it's about time that Nintendo releases a new handheld since the DS felt really kinda limited to what it could do(not counting DSi since I don't own it and never will own it).

End of the year?

Considering they've only just launched the DSi XL, that's way too soon.

• Thumbs Up 3

I almost got excited, then accelerometer. BOO!

No, I kid. If this is real then I will be very excited. But like, accelerometers are annoying.

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe too soon, but I like how it sounds. I just hope tha developers will utilize it correctly, I LOVED the Gamecube generation, and they could even get away with porting over gamecube games like Wind Waker, Resident Evil REmake, Luigi's Mansion, and other games.

The will dampen some of the DSi's exclusivity if they aren't compatible with the DS2, much like what happened with the Game Boy Micro; to a lesser extent at least.

Sounds like it will have a much needed graphical enhancement as well, and it's coming pretty soon too. I'll just have to wait and see how this will turn out until I can upgrade from my phat.

Please have Wind Waker re-release. Please have Wind Waker re-release. Please have Wind Waker re-release. Please have Wind Waker re-release. Please have Wind Waker re-release. Please have Wind Waker re-release. Please have Wind Waker re-release. Please have Wind Waker re-release.

Why do you want that so bad? Why not just go play it on GCN/Wii? If anything I'd prefer a new Celda for this "DS2" seeing that it's comparable to the GCN.

Wow a DS2 already in the works awesome I wonder if this means Sonic 4 could possibly go portable, it may be possible but i welcome this DS2 :)

Edited by Crash

Why do you want that so bad? Why not just go play it on GCN/Wii?

Because it looks like they won't be Wiimaking Wind Waker after all and it'd be great to have that little gem to carry around with me, much like people enjoy having portable Sonic 1/2/3 etc despite already owning them a bazillion times on consoles.

• Thumbs Up 2

End of the year?

Considering they've only just launched the DSi XL, that's way too soon.

This tbh.

I think it's BS. Such a powerful handheld is not a Nintendolike thing to do... and so soon? Just really fishy.

Because it looks like they won't be Wiimaking Wind Waker after all and it'd be great to have that little gem to carry around with me, much like people enjoy having portable Sonic 1/2/3 etc despite already owning them a bazillion times on consoles.

Okay.

I just find this type of thinking strange. I never cared about being able to play a game on the go that I can already play at home. The only reason I bother with handhelds is for the exclusives.

Still wouldn't you prefer a new game that looked like WW over a port?

Anyway I guess I should hold off on getting a DSi XL (I want some DSiware games) at least until E3 is over. I'm sure DS2 will still let you download DSiware.

This tbh.

I think it's BS. Such a powerful handheld is not a Nintendolike thing to do... and so soon? Just really fishy.

It's not that powerful; it'll only be a bit more powerful than the PSP in all likelihood, and it is the same kind of power leap as was experienced when we went from the GBA to the DS, or N64 to GCN. Nintendo's competition is much stronger today than when it was only facing Atari and Sega as well, so their tactics will need to change up a gear. Also, the GB Micro was released not long before the DS was launched, remember that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yup, and Gameboy was still a pretty big brand when DS launched too. So it's not like Nintendo are afraid of killing things off (for lack of a better phrase) while they're still successful.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 screens in one? How will it fold?

Sounds awesome though, but I'm sure there's still some awesome new gameplay gimmick we don't yet know about.

I'm not quite sure what an accelerometer is though? I'm presuming it's like a tilt sensor?

• Thumbs Up 2

What? Accelerometers make things cooler and easier to handle for me :P

And this is pretty awesome news. I really would loves me a nice "DS2", just under a better name, please. And if it really does support GCN/Wii graphics? Then there's no excuses; bring me ports of Wind Waker, Mario Sunshine, Starfox Assault and Smash Bros. games plz :3

2 screens in one? How will it fold?

The article states it has two screens that are so close together that they can be used effectively as one. I'm guessing the hinge will have been placed in such a way as to not get between the screens like it does with the DS. I can see future handhelds going for folding screens though.

The accelerometer is the next logical step for 'unconventional' handheld controls. I'm not surprised.

The accelerometer is the next logical step for 'unconventional' handheld controls. I'm not surprised.

Get your INNOVATION cap on. B)

Accelerometer?! Imagine the seconds of fun games using one of those would provide.

But seriously, no way in hell it will come out this year. First of all, what would they price it at? They've already got the DS range stretched from $130 to near-as-no-difference $200, and Nintendo would be wise to not compete directly with the iPod Touch with something that will undoubtedly have less functionality.

Edited by Tornado

touch screen, accelerometer, if the DS has buttons it's got the ipod touch beat.

I'm down for a new beasty DS

• Thumbs Up 2

Accelerometer?! Imagine the seconds of fun games using one of those would provide.

Oh my God! I've not laughed at a post like that in ages.

Accelerometers and be used well, but it's a rare happening.

Why does this not surprise me? Nintendo do this everytime they release a final form of their current hand-held, normally it works in a rule of 3 but this time there is 4 versions of the DS and last time the DS released just before the 3rd version of the GBA. I honestly don't know why they bother making marketing another version of their current hand-held just before the new hand-held is due out.

Why does this not surprise me? Nintendo do this everytime they release a final form of their current hand-held, normally it works in a rule of 3 but this time there is 4 versions of the DS and last time the DS released just before the 3rd version of the GBA. I honestly don't know why they bother making marketing another version of their current hand-held just before the new hand-held is due out.

Because it prints money

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know what everyone has against the accelerometer. Have you already forgotten WarioWare Twisted? Kirby Tilt & Tumble?