Awoo.

Nintendo 3DS

Patticus

I'm disappointed that 3D really does seem to be the direction the gaming industry is headed - the technology is old, annoying, and sickening. But if Nintendo can really do this sort of effect without the need for the glasses.. I'll give it a try.

Watching that video I just linked would have made my jaw hit the floor, if that were physically possible while sitting. D:

Edit: Could this be why Nintendo was rumoured to be using nVidia's Tegra chip? Their work in 3D has been quite considerable.

What Pearl said, I'm so fucking glad I didn't buy a DSi or an XL now, people who did must be piiiiissed.

Too soon I think. What about Pokémon 5? Golden Sun 3? The 4 remaining Layton games? Will they be cancelled to make way for the new machine?

Please try to impress me Nintendo, I'm not sure if I like this.

EDIT: It's been confirmed there won't be glasses btw.

Edited by SuperLink

3G3DGRPSi Lite XL.

Nah, 3DS may not even be the final name. It could be the code-name until the unveil it. Either way, I don't think it's awkward. Ever heard of 3DS Max?

It is just the pre-release code name.

PDF Press Release for anyone interested -

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2010/100323e.pdf

EDIT: Just noticed you already posted it XD but yeah it does say (temp) next to the name in that press release.

*braces himself for an influx of games that incorporate "3D" into their titles somehow*

Mixed feelings, as always. I always feel a combination of happiness at new technology and irritation at having something else I need to buy whenever a new console or handheld is released. I'm quite interested in the gimmick, though.

On the vaguely-related point of Pokemon, is it possible that Generation V might be a Mystery Dungeon Red/Blue deal, where one version is released on the DS and the other on the 3DS? Hm.

On the vaguely-related point of Pokemon, is it possible that Generation V might be a Mystery Dungeon Red/Blue deal, where one version is released on the DS and the other on the 3DS? Hm.

That'd be nice, but would the 3DS version of it really take advantage of the system?

The idea that we'll have to wait another 4 years for the next true Pokémon adventure means the 3DS will already be near the end of its life by then.... I hate that, it's so far away.

I wish they'd delay Pokémon 5 and release it as a fully fledged 3DS game :/

Edited by SuperLink

Interesting curveball, Nintendo. Iwata, as they say, has dropped the bomb:

156fif7.gif

I hope they announce a new Super Paper Mario game for it. The 3D bits would look awesome.

DOL_PaperMario_ss02.jpg

Something Sonicy in the same realm (Paper Sonic plz) would be fantastic as well.

Well, I'm skeptical. Remember the Wii? "OMG MOTION CONTROL HOLY CRAP THIS IS GONNA BE GREAT, 1:1 OUT OF THE BOX HOMG INNOVATION!!" We ended up with something (in my opinion) very disappointing and not up to par. I imagine they'll come out with some brilliant games on the system, as there definitely are some on the Wii and quite a few on the original DS, but I just don't think I can find myself being pulled in by the Nintendo hype train again. Not this time, Shiggy, not this time. Glad they'll have to shorten their gloating at e3 about how they're revolutionizing the market and how well they're pwning their competition to report on this, though. Should make it a more interesting watch... after the first half hour. *BOOTED*

Plus I doubt that without 2 functional eyes, this system will work properly in 3D. xP Because I'm legally blind, I can't watch 3D movies, since my depth perception is fucked up. So either way, I'll likely be screwed out of playing it. Here's hoping the PSP-2 stays true to the "generic" methods of gaming, but has a better line up of games this time around (Over the original PSP I mean). That's all I could ask for, ahahaha...

*Watches his rep steadily drop*

Edited by Aptiva
  • Thumbs Up 1

@ Aptiva:

Nintendo are all about accessibility now though. I very much doubt they'd release a handheld that alienates a whole bunch of gamers with varying levels of blindness.

People were only positive with the Wii because look how well the DS turned out? People are gonna be skeptical with the 3DS' 3D, because of the Wii being disappointing, but if the 3DS turns out great and introduces something we'd like to keep in gaming, then awesome, well done for making another good handheld Nintendo.

Personally I have faith. I don't think Nintendo will mess up the 3DS like they messed up the Wii. Nintendo really know what they're doing when it comes to handhelds.

Edited by SuperLink

@ Aptiva:

Nintendo are all about accessibility now though. I very much doubt they'd release a handheld that alienates a whole bunch of gamers with varying levels of blindness.

People were only positive with the Wii because look how well the DS turned out? People are gonna be skeptical with the 3DS' 3D, because of the Wii being disappointing, but if the 3DS turns out great and introduces something we'd like to keep in gaming, then awesome, well done for making another good handheld Nintendo.

Personally I have faith. I don't think Nintendo will mess up the 3DS like they messed up the Wii. Nintendo really know what they're doing when it comes to handhelds.

Well, while Nintendo hasn't particularly screwed up handheld gaming yet (We ignore the virtual boy, that ...doesn't count), their mentality as a company has changed since the days of releasing the DS. Heck, the Gameboy even. I respect that you have faith, and I honestly hope this thing turns out to be something that truely surpasses the DS in awesomeness, but I'm going to remain skeptical for now. =3 I won't try to bring down anyone's hype-o-meter though, since that'd just stir up trouble and it's just my opinion anyway. I hope I haven't come off as rude to anyone! I know that some diehard Nintendo fans are sometimes a tad touchy when it comes to skepticism... xD;

(On a sidenote, they're about accessibility, true. But I don't think they'd have to take into account blindness-- since when you're blind, stereotypically, you wouldn't play video games anyway. I just do because I'm a rebel and because I still can, ahaha.)

EDIT: For the sake of conversation, though. Imagine what Zelda, Mario or Metroid would be like on this thing? I can see Samus' visor HUD popping out from the screens of the system, all Sci-Fi-like. That'd be neato.

Edited by Aptiva
  • Thumbs Up 1

E3 this year is going to be stunning:

New Mario, Zelda and Metroid main series instalments - Zelda being unveiled properly for the first time, Metroid and Mario playable (Mario is released before E3, mind)

New Nintendo handheld reveal, undoubtedly with an on-stage demonstration and trailers for a few of its launch games

Move and Natal line-ups revealed and demonstrated

Little BIG Planet 2 revealed

Bombshells we don't even know about from each of the big 3 (hopefully)

Sonic 4

Jesus god have mercy.

Plus I doubt that without 2 functional eyes, this system will work properly in 3D. xP Because I'm legally blind, I can't watch 3D movies, since my depth perception is fucked up. So either way, I'll likely be screwed out of playing it.

You'll still get to play it, you just won't be able to see the 3D gimmick/innovation. I find it very hard to see how it could be made to be integral to playing any game - a very nice visual treat, sure, but vital? Ehhhh no.

I won't try to bring down anyone's hype-o-meter though, since that'd just stir up trouble and it's just my opinion anyway.

My hype's pretty damn low anyway really, I'm annoyed/worried they killed the DS off too soon, and right before a bunch of major releases in my favourite franchises too. What the hell? If Golden Sun continues to get poor sales now it's Nintendo's own bloody fault.

If the Golden Sun series dies again and Nintendo don't want to make another, that's going to piss me off even more knowing it was the announcement of a new console (i.e. their own fault) that killed all hype for the game.

FFS.

(On a sidenote, they're about accessibility, true. But I don't think they'd have to take into account blindness-- since when you're blind, stereotypically, you wouldn't play video games anyway. I just do because I'm a rebel and because I still can, ahaha.)

If even a tiny fraction of a demographic complains about accessibility, Nintendo will create an entire new model to compensate. DSi XL anyone? Don't worry about accessibility. When Nintendo start actually putting effort into their home consoles' power again, that's when you can worry about accessibility. AND the impending apocalypse. They kinda come hand in hand you see.

Edited by SuperLink

Urrrrghhh so much skeptism in this thread.

I for one have 100% faith in Nintendo, the DS blew me away when it was first released.

I don't know why everyone uses the Wii as an excuse to say that they don't have faith in Nintendo, when it was first released the Wii was like 'wow' for everyone and incase you all forgot when the novelty of waggle gaming wore off Nintendo hit it out the park by releasing the Motion+, it's not their fault if third party developers cba to use it.

Also shutup about the DSiXL, it's aimed at older people (I'm talking like 60+ here) and those who'd have trouble using the thin stylus and small screens of the older models.

My hype's pretty damn low anyway really, I'm annoyed/worried they killed the DS off too soon, and right before a bunch of major releases in my favourite franchises too. What the hell? If Golden Sun continues to get poor sales now it's Nintendo's own bloody fault.

If the Golden Sun series dies again and Nintendo don't want to make another, that's going to piss me off even more knowing it was the announcement of a new console (i.e. their own fault) that killed all hype for the game.

I wouldn't worry too much about Pokemon 5, Golden Sun and such. I imagine Pokemon 5 has been in development for this system since dev kits went out quite a while back and have we even heard about Golden Sun since it was announced?

I really can't wait to see what happens to Nintendo's core stock of games on the 3DS; Mario, Metroid, Zelda et al. Dr. Kawashima's head in 3D will look spectacular too.

But mostly I want Phoenix Wright pointing his finger out of the screen and into my face.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Well, so much for me getting the DSi XL. :lol: I'll certainly just hold out for the 3DS now. The name sounds like a Star Wars robot by the way.

I wouldn't worry too much about Pokemon 5, Golden Sun and such. I imagine Pokemon 5 has been in development for this system since dev kits went out quite a while back

Pokémon 5 was confirmed for the DS though :( I doubt Nintendo'd keep the 3DS a secret from GameFreak if they knew GameFreak would be working on a huge new title...

and have we even heard about Golden Sun since it was announced?

Yup, it's listed on Nintendo's official site with a 2010 DS release.

Another huge announcement stealing thunder from an obscure but amazing title is just typical. GS is one of my fave RPGs ever :/

Pokémon 5 was confirmed for the DS though :( I doubt Nintendo'd keep the 3DS a secret from GameFreak if they knew GameFreak would be working on a huge new title...

Launching without a main series Pokémon game is nothing new; the DS did it (that racing game doesn't count as main series). Nintendo should just build a sequel to Pokémon Snap! instead, it could work very well on the DS - and with 3D it could look quite amazing too.

Launching without a main series Pokémon game is nothing new; the DS did it (that racing game doesn't count as main series).

That's not what I'm talking about, no, that's not a big deal at all.

However we saw mainseries Pokémon games within 2 years of all handheld releases since GBA. This time however we're looking at the first mainseries title on 3DS being 4 years into the life of the system, and will likely be the only mainseries title on it. That's way too long to wait for a true next-gen Pokémon game, it feels like such a missed opportunity.

Edited by SuperLink

How can it feel like a missed opportunity when 4 years of 3DS development will undoubtedly allow for a fantastic game to be made? Would you rather they half-arsed it? Development schedules don't always work out the way we want them to, and if they're forced you know as well as I that that doesn't lead to better game experiences.

I'll take a 4 year wait and a stunning update of the series over a 2 year wait and something that doesn't look like it should be on the 3DS any day.

How can it feel like a missed opportunity when 4 years of 3DS development will undoubtedly allow for a fantastic game to be made? Would you rather they half-arsed it? Development schedules don't always work out the way we want them to, and if they're forced you know as well as I that that doesn't lead to better game experiences.

I'll take a 4 year wait and a stunning update of the series over a 2 year wait and something that doesn't look like it should be on the 3DS any day.

I suppose you're right.

However if Pokémon 5 doesn't make the very best of the DS' hardware (like no DS Pokémon ever was) I'm going to be disappointed that they didn't make me wait just another year or 2 for something much better.

Edited by SuperLink

So then, 20 questions I'd like to see answered at E3:

1. How much?

2. When is it out?

2. Will DSiWare still be an afterthought?

3. Will they be retaining the stupid friend codes system, or will they moving towards a friendlier PSN/LIVE model?

4. Will it have a capacitive or resistive touchscreen?

5. Will it support multi-touch?

6. What does this mean for the existing DS, e.g. will it be discontinued?

7. What about software for the current DS, does this this announcement mean that Nintendo will move their development efforts over to the 3DS exclusively?

8. What will be the big launch games?

9. How big are the screens?

10. Does 3D really work well on a small screen?

11. How easy will it be to transfer over your DSi account?

12. Will it include two cameras again, and will they be any good?

13. What about Wii (or Wii 2) connectivity?

14. How do current DS games look on the 3D screen?

15. Will both screens be 3D, or just one?

16. D-Pad or analogue stick?

17. How much built in memory?

18. What capacity is a 3DS cart?

19. Will it launch everywhere at the same time?

20. What will the media player and web browser be like?

Feel free to quote and provide your own answers, everybody. :) Speculation can be fun.