Awoo.

Nintendo 3DS

Patticus

Why do DS games look so blurry on the 3DS anyway? They never had this problem on the DSi or anything.

The DS/DSLite/DSi/DSiXL all have screens with a resolution of 256 × 192, while the 3DS has 400 × 240 for the top screen and 320 × 240 for the bottom screen. The DSi/XL screens may be bigger than models that came before it, but the resolution is the same. They can only display the same number of pixels. The 3DS screens however have more pixels in the same amount of space, so each pixel is smaller. So when you tell the 3DS to play DS games at their native resolution you end up with a very small picture, and when you play them at the 3DS resolution instead they're stretched out.

The DS/DSLite/DSi/DSiXL all have screens with a resolution of 256 × 192, while the 3DS has 400 × 240 for the top screen and 320 × 240 for the bottom screen. The DSi/XL screens may be bigger than models that came before it, but the resolution is the same. They can only display the same number of pixels. The 3DS screens however have more pixels in the same amount of space, so each pixel is smaller. So when you tell the 3DS to play DS games at their native resolution you end up with a very small picture, and when you play them at the 3DS resolution instead they're stretched out.

So why can't they just change the pixels for DS mode?

I'm not even sure what you're asking here.....

You can't just "change" the pixels....

I don't get why the DS games look blurry on the 3DS but the GBA games looked perfectly fine on the DS despite having a different screen resolution. Same goes with GB games on the GBA (in the "not stretched" mode).

GB games look fine because they looked like shit in the first place.

GBA games look fine because GBA games kick ass.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't get why the DS games look blurry on the 3DS but the GBA games looked perfectly fine on the DS despite having a different screen resolution. Same goes with GB games on the GBA (in the "not stretched" mode).

The DS had a slightly higher resolution but also had a slightly larger screen. So the difference in resolution didn't have that dramatic an effect.The 3DS has a slightly larger screen, but a MUCH higher resolution, so a DS game played on the 3DS looks tiny.

• Thumbs Up 3

Pretty much what Scar said, the 3DS has a much larger resolution, meaning the effect is much more pronounced, whereas playing a GBA game on the DS simply results in a small black border around the screen.

Edited by Masaru Daimon
  • Thumbs Up 1

The pixels are physically part of the screen, thus cannot be changed back and forth just like that. =3

DS games looking bad on the 3DS screens is something which has bugged me since the dawn of its lifetime. I was looking forward to playing all my handheld games on the same device, but now I find myself playing DS games on my DSi XL instead, it simply looks that much better.

I've been playing both and they look fine to me. Never had an NES so I'm probably not the best judge, but there's no obvious blurryness/weirdness like there is when I use my 3DS for Pokemon Black

Why do DS games look so blurry on the 3DS anyway? They never had this problem on the DSi or anything.

Larger resolution (which the DSi XL screens didn't have), and a blur filter to try and cover the pixelation.

Here's a video posted on Digital Spy of IGN unboxing a 3DS XL.

Definitely doesn't look as big as I though it would.

Edited by Major Ziggy

I might actually get the XL version too. If its got a better and bigger 3D screen and isn't too uncomfortable to hold, definitely!

Wow. About as big as an original Gameboy.

Such improvement.

But anyways, I'd still stick to the original model, personally. It doesn't really look like this would add to the experience, the 3DS already has a pretty decent sized screen.

Though if the buttons and dpad aren't as stiff as the first model, that would be a huge plus in it's favor.

Edited by Solkia-kun

Ice Climbers was updated with Download Play in Japan

http://nintendo3dsbl...-play-in-japan/

Now Nintendo if you could be so kind as to update Kirby and the Amazing Mirror with Download Play, or even online I'd be truly happy.

Edited by Nintendoga

Angry Birds Trilogy coming to 3DS

(Includes Angry Birds, Angry Birds Seasons, and Angry Birds Rio)

“You can think of the game as the ultimate collector’s edition. There are new cinematics, extras and other entertaining content. In addition all of the existing material has been uprezzed and re-treated for the high-resolution and big screen.”

“The backgrounds have been animated, we’ve added lighting modes, reactive backgrounds, the list goes on and on. We believe that there are a lot of people on the consoles who appreciate a great casual game play experience. This is a game that resonates across a wide audience on many platforms.”

“There have been so many fans asking to be able to play the game on their home console with their friends and family, and so far we haven’t been able to offer anything to them. Now we’re finally able to have a great high quality experience on those platforms.”

I like Angry Birds, but selling those kind of games retail is just ridiculous.

I hope this is gonna end up one of those retail budget releases. Even then, I think I would be forced to slap anyone who would be dense enough to spend money on it.

The 3 games are 99 cents each.

Why would anyone go buy it retail?

They should just release it on the eShop. Kinda like what Order Up! did - cancel the retail version and offer it as a digital download for a fraction of the price.

• Thumbs Up 5

I need a game to occupy myself with for the next couple of weeks starting tomorrow when I go on a trip. Give me recommendations you guys.

For reference the only 3DS games I own are Kid Icarus Uprising, Cave Story 3D, Mario Kart 7, Mighty Switch Force and all those ambassador games.

I need a game to occupy myself with for the next couple of weeks starting tomorrow when I go on a trip. Give me recommendations you guys.

For reference the only 3DS games I own are Kid Icarus Uprising, Cave Story 3D, Mario Kart 7, Mighty Switch Force and all those ambassador games.

Rhythm_Thief_and_the_Emperor%27s_Treasure.png

Have you thought of picking this one up yet? Music is extremely funky, I'm waiting for mine in the mail.

Edited by Jetronic
  • Thumbs Up 2

Don't forget, instead of a 3DS game, you may be able to take advantage of the DS's back catalog of games and pick up 2 or 3 gems for the same price.

TWENY, Elite Beat Agents, Advance Wars or any of the Sonic or Pokemon titles you might have missed would make for fine time sinks.

Edited by Sega DogTagz