Awoo.

Nintendo 3DS

Patticus

Dunno if this has been posted yet, it hasn't been confirmed as true either but if it is...

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/06/17/3ds_software_install/

According to the paper, gamers will be able copy 3DS software to internal memory. Multiple games can be stored with the system in this fashion. You'll be able to switch between games by selecting a title from the system's main menu.

The paper notes that due to this feature, there'll be no need to swap cartridges. When outside of the home, you won't need to carry game cartridges with you.

2ev55b4.png

• Thumbs Up 1

If they do tha how are they going to stop people from installing it on friends's 3DS's? Or renting the game and installing it and then bring it back? :-/

If they do tha how are they going to stop people from installing it on friends's 3DS's? Or renting the game and installing it and then bring it back? :-/

There could be potential ways around it, such as installing only being managable once and the cartridge having its data transferred. That could cause some potential issues though.

As convenient as it sounds it does cause a bunch of issues but this could potentially help against second hand marketing. If they do implement it, it will probably be worked around one way or another cause I'd have doubted that they'd not take that into consideration.

Would this feature not make piracy and shiz a lot easier? Nintendo are potentially screwing themselves over here, so I don't know if this feature will be in the final product...

Would this feature not make piracy and shiz a lot easier? Nintendo are potentially screwing themselves over here, so I don't know if this feature will be in the final product...

I'm sure they wouldn't even be toying with the idea if they didn't have any anti-piracy measures for it in mind.

No worries. The DS has been pirated to hell and back, so you can bet that Nintendo will want to make the 3DS the most anti-pirate handheld they can possibly make.

And yet people will find a way (And it won't even take long) to pirate games :-/..

It's kind of annoying. I know so many people who don't buy their games and they all think I'm weird for doing so :-/ Maybe I lke being a good boy >=(, And I like having a case and a manual and everything...

• Thumbs Up 1

All I'm saying is, if the software has a means of being ripped built-in to it then hackers WILL find a way into it. They always do, unfortunately.

It took them about 3 years to break into the PS3.

Nintendo just aren't trying hard enough.

Edited by SuperLink

It took them about 3 years to break into the PS3.

Nintendo just aren't trying hard enough.

Really? I didn'T know that! But thats probably cause of Blue-Ray, isn't it?

Really? I didn'T know that! But thats probably cause of Blue-Ray, isn't it?

I'm not sure if it was to do with BluRay, but Sony claimed it was "unhackable"... until it was finally hacked last year.

In any case there are many ways Nintendo could strengthen their anti-piracy methods, including better online monitoring. For example whenever Microsoft spot hackers, they get promptly banned from XBOX Live, so they miss out on lots of stuff. I'm sure Nintendo could do something similar.

I'm not sure if it was to do with BluRay, but Sony claimed it was "unhackable"... until it was finally hacked last year.

In any case there are many ways Nintendo could strengthen their anti-piracy methods, including better online monitoring. For example whenever Microsoft spot hackers, they get promptly banned from XBOX Live, so they miss out on lots of stuff. I'm sure Nintendo could do something similar.

But that only works if someone plays online. I don'T for example, so I could than just start playing pirated games :-/

But that only works if someone plays online. I don'T for example, so I could than just start playing pirated games :-/

What about using things like the store? You'd be barred from using those too. And if games you liked had dlc you wouldn't be able to download it.

In any case online is something that a huge amount of pirates use in some way. Thing of all those casuals who bought an R4 thinking it was legal. Poof, all banned! It's glorious!

Yeah, that feature sounds nice an all (I really hate carrying cartridges everywhere or having to pick just one game when I can't do that) but it sounds really bothersome too. If you can only use the cartridge once, you're kind of screwed if you lose your 3DS. Unless they implement a system like the Steam Cloud so that you sign into an account and get all of your games. Of course that's assuming they drop the damned friend codes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Of course that's assuming they drop the damned friend codes.

Our collective fingers are crossed.

So very tightly.

I was surprised at how common DS hacking actually is, my auntie bought an M3 from 'someone at work' for one of my cousins and one of my uncles was discussing getting one for my brother with my Dad.

The only console I've ever actually pirated to shit and back is my old PSP and even then it was only because I couldn't find a retail copy of Ape Escape ANYWHERE.

• Thumbs Up 1

Going back to an earlier discussion point - namely the pricing of 3DS games - I've just been snooping (as usual) around GAME's website and, surprisingly, they already have some 3DS games listed (well, one at least).

Kid Icarus Uprising - RRP £34.99

It can be concluded that GAME are assuming that the prices will be higher than DS games, which is a fair enough assumption.

And by no means is that the definite final RRP, it's just what they've got up at the moment.

Well it's a good thing I've started bargain hunting online for all my games lately. I'm not sure I could cope with the RRP of a handheld game being above £30 all the time.

Well it's a good thing I've started bargain hunting online for all my games lately. I'm not sure I could cope with the RRP of a handheld game being above £30 all the time.

I'll admit I have got quite used to the whole "£30 for DS, £40 for Wii" dealio (though obviously the cheaper the better in both cases), so I'd be a little miffed to see a rise in price for 3DS games. I'm sure Nintendo will reveal all soon though. As if they've haven't revealed enough already this week! :P

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/games/3ds/paper_mario_18231.html

Found this on /v/. So if Paper Mario is being released on March 25, we know 3DS will be no later than that. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a holiday release.

I sure hope the 3DS is out for Christmas. Nintendo would be silly not to release it for the holidays, really - it'd be the ULTIMATE Crimbo gift.

Anyway, 25th March - I'm writing that down in my diary as the day to buy Paper Mario 3DS :P

• Thumbs Up 2

What the hell?!!! Nintendo UK are already listing 3DS games on their website AND release dates too? :blink:

They're sticking to their guns of no later than March 2011 which they said when they first announced 3DS some months back.

I checked al of the Nintendo games on the german site, but only Paper Mario has a release date. I wonder if that means the others are launch games and don't have an exact release date, because the 3DS doesn'T have one and they only know they want to bring it out before the 25th of March.

In all honesty I'm going to be genuinely disappointed if the 3DS isn't released in 2010. In Europe especially.

If we have to wait like we did for the DS I'm going to be so fucking ohbvidsbhvjahdbvjhdsvbasvuhasih.

Angry.

• Thumbs Up 1