Awoo.

Nintendo 3DS

Patticus

Destructoid game it a 7.

But Destructoid do the thing where 5 is average, 7 is a good score to them.

I don't wanna lose my XL so I use it for my home play unless it's an eShop title.

Out of curiosity, how durable is the 3DS? Playing Kid Icarus: Uprising has caused my L shoulder button to loosen, and every once in a while it makes squeaking noises. However it still registers while playing and I don't think it's broken. I'd still like to know if this is something I should worry about or if other people experience this, though.

My A button is a bit squeaky and the R button is silent (it's not broken, but doesn't make the *clicking* noise the L button does).

As someone who had to go and buy a new DS almost every year due to it's terrible hardware, the 3DS is very durable. I know I've dropped mine a few times by accident, and even spilt a bit of soda on the touch screen once and yet it still plays just like it did back when I first got it (minus those minor issues listed above)

But yeah, the 3DS is pretty damn strong.

I've personally found Nintendo hardware to be some of the most durable there is. I dropped my DS at least once and it kept working fine up until I sold it.

• Thumbs Up 4

I've personally found Nintendo hardware to be some of the most durable there is. I dropped my DS at least once and it kept working fine up until I sold it.

You sold it and it stopped working? Nintendo must have put voodoo magic in there.

But yes, 3DS is VERY durable. Rock hard hinges? YES

The same thing happened with my GBA, haha. I gave it to my cousin after I got my 3DS (yes, I didn't have a DS) and one week later it stopped working magically.

My 3DS is fine, seems new since I don't use it very much (for now at least).

I once dropped my GBC from the the top of the stairs in my house to the tiled floor below. Not even the battery cover came off. But that's nothing compared to the Gameboy that survived a bombing.

bombed-gameboy.jpg

That shit's made of Nintendonium or something.

• Thumbs Up 2

So a loose shoulder button isn't much to worry about right? I've heard reports of them giving out or breaking on some people, I just hope it doesn't get in worse shape as long as I don't put too much more strain on it.

In the meantime, in Uprising I've switched to using weapons that focus on long range attacks so I don't have to keep constantly pressing the L button in melee combat.

You sold it and it stopped working? Nintendo must have put voodoo magic in there.

But yes, 3DS is VERY durable. Rock hard hinges? YES

I have no idea if it still works to this day, but as far as I know, it could be. My uncles original DS still works just fine and I've even been given back the original white GBA I gave away which I would imagine still works too. It's funny how I traded up over time between the GBA to the GBA SP and then the Micro, and now I have all of them (my original, my dead grandmothers and the one I bought years ago respectively).

I've opened up a 3DS. 

The bumpers aren't very secure in the console. They're held in there by 2 microscopic bumps that sit in ill-fitted holes.

The Circle pad is a piece of shit too. Think the Nintendo 64 analogue stick with even more parts to break, and those parts being even flimsier.

Launch model is garbage. Just avoid it entirely.

Aside from the apparent build quality, I've often found that the first iteration of Nintendo's handhelds tends to be the roughest, then they improve upon each revision. The DS Lite and 3DS XL are damn sexy compared to the originals.

I dunno, I love the launch model GBA and DS.

Although GBA could have used a backlight/frontlight to begin with.

I was going to buy an XL eventually, but it would have to wait a few years since it's not an investment I can make right now. I just want my current 3DS to hold out in the meantime until I can replace it.

If you already have one, that's fine. I'm just saying this for people who haven't bought one yet.

I dropped my original DS one too many times and the hinge snapped off...it STILL works to this day, as does my Crimson DS Lite that I got to replace it and my Red 3DS is working fine, although font really use it much ATM (will rectify when I get Kid Icarus, Luigis Mansion 2, or New Leaf)

lol My DS seems to be the opposite. I woke up one morning to check my DS (original launch model), and because I charge it over night on my window, when I went to grab it it fell. I picked it up but the hinge broke. It was okay at first, but eventually the top screen started to get worse and worse with each day. :/ I got a Lite to replace it, and I've never had any problems since.

I'd love to pick up a 3DS XL at one point, but I'm not keen on the size. I really like how small and slim the current one is. :/

Yeah, the DS Phat's hinges were kinda crap. One small drop on asphalt and it popped off on mine.

The screen also got gradually worse on mine. It held out for at least 6 months before finally falling apart. (The hinge got progressively worse and soon both broke for no reason)

I ended up just mooching off my brother's DS Lite until I got my DSi.

Other than that, the hinges on the DS line have been rock solid for me.

Edited by Yоshi

I like my original 3DS. Its design...I find it appealing.

I'm not that much a fan of the XL variants; but I do appreciate the extra work put into those models hardware-wise (like battery life).

Aside from the apparent build quality, I've often found that the first iteration of Nintendo's handhelds tends to be the roughest, then they improve upon each revision. The DS Lite and 3DS XL are damn sexy compared to the originals.

The DS Lite is also the first console assembled entirely out of recycled balsa wood, so not much of an improvement over the original DS, smoother or not. DSi is fine, though.

The DS Lite is also the first console assembled entirely out of recycled balsa wood, so not much of an improvement over the original DS, smoother or not. DSi is fine, though.

Longer battery life and a better backlighting sound way better to me.

Which has nothing whatsoever to do with build quality.

Though I did say:

Aside from the apparent build quality,

I was mostly talking about appearance. I genuinely found everything about the Lite more comfortable too, especially the smoother edges. Same thing with the 3DS XL.

Oh goodie, maybe this means I'll actually get hits for once. I occasionally walk around the mall with my 3DS but only ever got two hits (aside from waiting in line for AC:NL preorders), and that was yesterday.