Awoo.

Nintendo 3DS

Patticus

3DS update

Copy-pasted from you know who cause I'm tired.

Version 6.0.0-11U available via wireless Internet connection includes the following improvements:
Save Data Backup Feature:

Users can now back up save data for downloadable versions of Nintendo 3DS software and most Virtual Console games
Improved system stability and usability

• Two kinds of games in a "bigger" Mii Plaza - ones you've already, plus ones to purchase!
  • We've now got a Shop, and Exchange Booth, a Check for Updates button and a new Play icon, along with a new second screen menu.
  • New games - Streetpass Squad, Streetpass Garden, Streetpass Battle, Streetpass Mansion.
  • New game selection section.
  • Games are bought with real money, as in eShop purchases.
  • Streetpass Squad is like Streetpass Quest. Takes place in space. Battle the Gold Bone Gang. Costs £4.49.
  • Streetpass Garden. You move in to a house in Leafington and try to become a Master Gardener, under the tutelage of Mr Mendel. Grow flowers and decorate your garden. Costs £4.49.
  • Streetpass Battle. Game of strategy and luck. Rule a remote country in a wartorn land. Your butler, Wentworth, helps you build an army via Streetpass to battle other generals. Ultimate goal to conquer the world! Costs £4.49.
  • Streetpass Mansion. Spooky paranormal investigation. You're a detective trying to solve the mystery of a haunted house, helped by your assistant Ella Mentree. You work to uncover truth with the help of people you meet inside. Battle enemies to reach the top floor. Costs £4.49.
  • Combo pack is only available for your first purchase and costs £13.49 (saving of £4.47). Deal only available if you buy all four at first. If you buy one on its own, the rest cost full price.
  • Exchange booth is locked. Clicking on it doesn't do anything yet. You'll need to earn tickets (see below) to use it.
  • No Xenoblade puzzle for me, but I did get a Skyward Sword one.
  • Playing games wins you hats and plaza tickets for achieving certain goals. Exchange these for new Mii accessories. Not available in the StreetPass Quest/Quest II or Puzzle Swap.
  • Get a Pixel Mario hat to commemorate :-)

Downloaded the update, but the streetpass stuff is showing up for me. People are saying only EU and JPN got the new streetpass things. Lame.

Edited by Nintendoga

I get an error whenever I try to access StreetPass Squad in the shop. The program locks up and crashes to the 3DS menu. :-/

Yeah every time I've tried to access a Mii Plaza shop item my 3DS has crashed. These must be pretty widespread, I don't know anyone who doesn't have crashes.

Also £4.49 for each game? Are you fuckin kidding me? And you have to buy them separately for every system on the household thanks to the lack of an account system, no thanks Nintendo!

I'm also getting the crash problem when accessing the games on the shop :-/ Not that I plan on buying them at that price.

• Thumbs Up 1

I had no current intention to buy any of them, but I was just looking around at all the new features. I'll be interested to see some impressions of these new games from people who have bought them though, just to see what they are like.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ah, I was wondering what was on the update.  Miiverse is full of complaints about the EU version crashing 3DSs and pleas for Nintendo to take it down and fix it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, Japan and Europe got the bigger update? Shocker /sarcasm

Makes a change from Japan getting everything followed by America.

So it's affecting almost everyone then? Yikes.

So with the backup feature, does this mean we can delete our downloaded games without worrying about losing save data?

I still think that save data should have probably just been installed to the system to begin with, along with an account system of course.

Also, trying to back up Animal Crossing's data won't work.

Like seriously nintendo? That's like the one game I want to back up.

waiting for the inevitable update to this update.

I feel really ignorant having owned the system since late 2011, but has StreetPass always sent you Notifications to tell you when you have new StreetPasses and similar for games that support it, including a numerical limit for each one? I just got a new hit today and I don't recall seeing it before.

Edited by EuroMIX

Ah, I was wondering what was on the update.  Miiverse is full of complaints about the EU version crashing 3DSs and pleas for Nintendo to take it down and fix it.

The 3DS only crashes when accessing the Mii Plaza shop games after doing the Mii Plaza update. The system update doesn't cause any crashes that I'm aware of.

I feel really ignorant having owned the system since late 2011, but has StreetPass always sent you Notifications to tell you when you have new StreetPasses and similar for games that support it, including a numerical limit for each one? I just got a new hit today and I don't recall seeing it before.

I've had the system since launch and that's always been there. 

I don't bother with streetpass, and there's no fucking way I'm paying five quid for a minigame. 

Kind of debating on whether to get New Leaf or save up my eShop funds a bit more and get Luigi's Mansion 2....

I've had the system since launch and that's always been there. 

I'm amazed I never noticed before.

The only way I'd remotely consider paying is if the game didn't rely on StreetPass hits or Play Coins at all, but I somehow don't see that happening given that the games are part of the Mii Plaza. A double set of gates to fun does not sound... fun.

• Thumbs Up 1

To actually contradict NeoGaf, the puzzle I got was of the Mario heroines. Nowt on Skyward Sword. 

I adore Streetpass so the new update brings me joy.  I think the bundle price is pretty reasonable, though in the sense that, split into 4, that's what they should cost to begin with.  The individual prices are silly.

So with the backup feature, does this mean we can delete our downloaded games without worrying about losing save data?

I don't think so, the press release only mentions downloaded boxed games and Virtual Console.

So dumb, I hope more companies start storing their save data as "Extra Data" rather than within the app's data itself.  I certainly hope there isn't a technical reason why they can't.

To actually contradict NeoGaf, the puzzle I got was of the Mario heroines. Nowt on Skyward Sword.

The puzzle does appear to contain SS Zelda from what I've unlocked of it so far with my amassed Play Coins, so maybe they weren't paying attention.

It drives me nuts that you can't buy pink pieces for a higher price, or even at the very least that it isn't mandatory that your first piece is a pink piece.  I don't get streetpasses very often so if all the people in my local area got blue pieces first I am not gonna finish these puzzles anytime soon ugh.

I also think they should make it so encounters with players online count as a streetpass for those who don't live in populated areas.  Online players from Mario Kart 7 and Sonic Generations etc do show up in my plaza among all the other Miis but I don't actually greet them at the gate or get to play with them.

Edited by JezMM

The new puzzles are apparently, SS, NSMBU, and Heroines. Japan has a Xenoblade puzzle, so I'm very jealous and I hope we get it soon.

Heroines is the one I got.

I must say I wasn't the biggest fan of streetpass at first. I mean yeah, here in Finland I've only got one streetpass hit ever and I've had the thing for 2 years. But after my recent trip to Japan I can certainly see the appeal. New Streetpass hits were coming in wherever I went and I was basically checking my 3DS at every opportunity to make sure that my plaza isn't full since you can only get 10 streetpass hits at a time. I got ridiculously addicted to puzzle swap and I now have 13 completed puzzles whereas before the trip I had none. It kind of sucks to be back in Finland since I know I won't be getting new streetpass hits here but I'd imagine the upcoming Animecon will attract lots of 3DS people so I'll be sure to take my 3DS there. 

And I guess the Xenoblade Chronicles puzzle isn't Japan exclusive after all since I just got a panel for it. biggrin.png

xenoblade_zpsf253320c.jpg

And I guess the Xenoblade Chronicles puzzle isn't Japan exclusive after all since I just got a panel for it. biggrin.png

xenoblade_zpsf253320c.jpg

Hell yeah! I can't wait to get that puzzle! :D

Yeah, looks like there's four new puzzles this time.

I got SS, brother got NSMBU, sister got Xenoblade. So we're three out of four.

I had only 20/30 pieces to finish all the puzzles last time, before these ones were added ;-;

Can I just state how much I HATE that dark room in Streetpass Quest 1? Nothing like wasting a ton of Play Coins hoping for a White Hero and not getting a single one and having to watch a fleeing conga. What a fucking waste...

• Thumbs Up 1

Ugh, yes.  Last time I went through 32 wrong colors to get a single white hero.  Had to sit through two complete sets of 10 heroes turning and fleeing to clear out the field so I could hire more. Up 'til then, I think I'd made it with about 8 heroes that game.  At least with the second quest you can hire a previous hero with the color shirt you need, as long as you've met one.

I wouldn't mind as much if it were easier to be guaranteed a White Hero, like if the game were programmed to throw you one if you're hiring with Play Coins while on that room.

I'm thinking that it might be better to hire one at a time until I get a White Hero just to brighten the room, then try to take it on properly.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wouldn't mind as much if it were easier to be guaranteed a White Hero, like if the game were programmed to throw you one if you're hiring with Play Coins while on that room.

I'm thinking that it might be better to hire one at a time until I get a White Hero just to brighten the room, then try to take it on properly.

Technically it wouldn't make a difference since you can't re-order them before going in anyway.  You may as well blow all 10 coins every time.

I love Streetpass stuff but there are SO many things they could improve to reduce frustration with them.

By the way I haven't bought any yet but all the new games look totally different and WAY deeper than the standard ones.  They all sound pretty fun but admittedly if you don't live in a populated area it looks like they'll have seriously slow progress unless they lift the daily Play Coin limit.