Awoo.

Nintendo 3DS

Patticus

This is just the fucking worst. Like the worst thing just fucking happened to me.

So I have Animal Crossing New Leaf digitally right? Well I went to the system settings to clear up some data for SMTIV.

I went to Data Management, and then Software. Now other games that I've downloaded (NSMB2, Luigi's Mansion, Paper Mario) showed up. It showed me how many blocks they were and such. However, I did not see Animal Crossing. I payed it no mind however, and went on to delete a few Ambassador games and other useless junk.

There was one thing though, one tab didn't have a game number on it. It said "???" as the title, and said it was 0 blocks. I left and rentered the screen, and even took out the SD card and put it back in, however it stayed like that. I figured it was some random title I downloaded eons ago and never truly deleted. So what did I do? I deleted it.

So here I go back to the home screen, when I notice something. Animal Crossing New Leaf is missing. I searched all around the home screen, but couldn't find it. I got a little worried and went back to system settings/data management/software. Still couldn't find it.

My suspicions were confirmed when I went to the New Leaf page in the e-shop and it said "Tap here to go to Re-download"

So yes, that fucking "??? 0 blocks" bullshit in my SD Card? It was fucking Animal Crossing, and yet it wasn't showing up.

Now normally I'd just laugh it off and go "Oops!" and just redownload and be on my merry way with my Town.

Except I probably have no fucking town. Because remember when Nintendo updated the 3DS so it could back-up your save data, HOWEVER for absolutley no reason whatsoever, you could not back-up Animal Crossing, a fucking fault I even called out a few weeks back

Also, trying to back up Animal Crossing's data won't work.

Like seriously nintendo? That's like the one game I want to back up.

waiting for the inevitable update to this update.

That's fucking irony if I ever saw it.

So yeah. I'm looking around, and I see no indication that my save data is still on my System/SD card.

This is just the absolute worst. If there's even a tiny slim chance that my town will still be there when I re-download NL, I'd gladly laugh at this post and just move on with my life.

Animal Crossing is not one of those games that you can just "start over" like that. I've lost how many fucking hours in that game if everything is truly gone?

I'm so mad I can't even think straight right now. Why on Earth was Nintendo so idiotic about letting you back-up Animal Crossing Data!?

I don't know why Nintendo won't let you back up (or move/copy) data of the games you have to put hours and hours into! The same thing happens with City Folk, Mario Kart Wii and Brawl on the Wii, 3 games you need to put a high amount of hours in to actually unlock a decent amount of stuff!

Then again I didn't even know that there was a backup feature!

I'm so mad I can't even think straight right now. Why on Earth was Nintendo so idiotic about letting you back-up Animal Crossing Data!?

I'm guessing it has to do with the way this game works? If you backed up a separate save file you could send items to other towns and then just reset your game, duplicating things. It may not be the most effective solution, but I'd assume the reason has something to do with the "real time" features of Animal Crossing.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't know why Nintendo won't let you back up (or move/copy) data of the games you have to put hours and hours into!

What I can't understand is, why would you even buy the digital versions of retail games O.o I don't mean any disrespect but they are far more pricier than their boxed editions (which makes no sense) and having the cartridges mean more free space on the 3DS. If you had the cartridge, you probably wouldn't be having this problem..

Still, it's shit to hear whats happened to you and your save and I feel it is stupid/silly/ironic that Nintendo's back-up feature didn't work for the only game that really needs it - what with the amount of time that can be invested into it.

That soundtrack <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Looks like shit, it's probably a lame cardboard sleeve and not a jewel case.

>:U

Edited by Super Soniko

What I can't understand is, why would you even buy the digital versions of retail games O.o I don't mean any disrespect but they are far more pricier than their boxed editions (which makes no sense) and having the cartridges mean more free space on the 3DS. If you had the cartridge, you probably wouldn't be having this problem..

Still, it's shit to hear whats happened to you and your save and I feel it is stupid/silly/ironic that Nintendo's back-up feature didn't work for the only game that really needs it - what with the amount of time that can be invested into it.

I have the physical copy but I can see the point in a backup, or for things like a Wii being able to copy data, it's annoying that for some of the bigger games you can't copy the save data.

Also I don't see why you can't buy either the physical or the digital and have some way to (if you have the physical copy) register it, so you could download it if say you list it or had it stolen, so you could still enjoy the game.

I always buy retail over digital, but you know there's plenty of reasons to get digital...

1. Available sooner
  2. Take them anywhere with no added bulk (the space on SD cards is there to be used)
  3. Digital promotions (I got ACNL for free via download)
  4. Some people just wholly prefer the convenience of digital

So yeah, no need to be like that.

I have the physical copy but I can see the point in a backup, or for things like a Wii being able to copy data, it's annoying that for some of the bigger games you can't copy the save data.

Also I don't see why you can't buy either the physical or the digital and have some way to (if you have the physical copy) register it, so you could download it if say you list it or had it stolen, so you could still enjoy the game.

Yeah, when Nintendo first announced the whole "Digital versions of Retail Games" my only tiff was not being able to get a digital copy for your physical copy. But I can see the downside to that too...

Buys Physical copy >> inputs code for digital version >> Downloads digital copy of game >> trades in/sells physical copy.

Just the usual anti-piracy methods. Though, I don't own a vita but I'm pretty sure Playstation All-Stars battle royal had something along the lines of buying the PS3 version and getting a Vita copy at no extra cost. Might have seen it in ASDA, not sure. But I thought that was pretty cool

Well either that or have a reduced cost for a digital download. I dunno I just wish it was possible but without becoming opportunistic or something I dunno :P

Rude.

It is a cardboard sleeve, though.

It's an exclusive re-release of a soundtrack that's out of print. I'm not going to ignore it because of the material it's packed in.

It's still a cool collectible.

A cardboard sleeve with an appealing design, that'll still look great as part of a Zelda collection.

• Thumbs Up 2

I always buy retail over digital, but you know there's plenty of reasons to get digital...

1. Available sooner
  2. Take them anywhere with no added bulk (the space on SD cards is there to be used)
  3. Digital promotions (I got ACNL for free via download)
  4. Some people just wholly prefer the convenience of digital

So yeah, no need to be like that.

I absolutely refuse to buy anything over the e-shop if it's also available at retail though, seeing as how Nintendo is still hesitant to move into the modern era and doesn't support account-based purchases.

"Oh no, your PC hard drive crashed and you lost all of your stuff? No worries, Steam lets you redownload everything no problemo, and stores your save files in the cloud so you can access them from anywhere. c:"

"Oh, your 3DS got stolen on the train? D: Well, have fun jumping through hoops, because fuck you."

• Thumbs Up 8

See, regardless of all my other reasons for preferring retail, that's the number one reason I don't sway when it comes to Nintendo products. I'll only resort to the eShop if it's exclusively a digital title or if, like with Animal Crossing, I can get it for free.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yeah I don't use the 3DS eShop nearly as much as I'd like to for the simple reason that it's locked to the system. Maybe Sony have spoiled me, but downloading a PS1 game on the PS3 and then being able to play it for free on the PSP or Vita at will? Just knowing I can do that on PS systems makes having to download things multiple times across different systems even more frustrating.

I love the convenience of Animal Crossing wherever I go, and I'm tempted to do the same with Pokémon X/Y, but it's hard to stick up for the eShop's core features even despite its increasingly great library.

• Thumbs Up 2

I prefer retail for a couple reasons

1. Stores love to lower prices and give special deals. Online rarely does this.

2. I can see the retail game.

3. I'm a collector at heart, and digital copies don't offer that same sort of value.

4. It's a dying medium that I want to support.

this is typically my reasoning too, I prefer retail games on most consoles cause of these things.

(EDIT: And Blue Blood's reasons too)

However big digital libraries that aren't going anywhere are a beautiful thing. Never again do the gamers of today have to worry about not being able to find a rare game, at least in the recent gen or so. You know how much I woulda killed for that to find Chibi-Robo or a bunch of other GC and GBA games.

Many old games are still ridiculously hard to come by, it was my hope that the VC would fix this, but nope, it's wasted potential at its most depressing.

Man I can defend Nintendo's actions to the ends of the earth most of the time but the VC just makes me sad at how much amazing brilliant potential is wasted with it.

Edited by SuperLink

It's really a shame. I would love to have my handheld collection just right there in the system memory, but I'm too paranoid about shit getting lost. If Nintendo fixed their shit and just got a decent fucking account system I'd probably go exclusively digital for my 3DS, but, nope.

• Thumbs Up 1

Excluding Animal Crossing, I don't really buy anything from the e-shop since its games don't interest me and they have a really awful way of releasing VC games on the 3DS.

Ironically, For the 3DS I was thinking of buying any of Nintendo's 1st party games that interested me via the e-shop, you know, so I'd have all these great AAA games on hand whenever I needed them.

But after the whole fucking fiasco on the last page, retail only from now on.

Seriously that shit was like a kick to the balls.Though I got some friends who said they'll help me rebuild my town and shit, so that's cool. Maybe I'll re-build it in a few weeks or so. For now I'm too busy with SMTIV

Which btw is awesome and you all should totally buy it

Edited by Nintendoga