Awoo.

Nintendo 3DS

Patticus

I'm pretty sure this is the third time I've said it, the issue is not whether lid-closing stuff will work, the issue is wondering whether Nintendo will do anything to alert less-savvy gamers that they must use the sleep button whenever a game prompts them to close the console.

They probably won't. This system is aimed at the "below 7" audience. How less-savvy can you get?

Or for that matter, to differentiate it from the other sleep mode most people use for Streetpass.

What do you mean other sleep mode?  There is only one sleep mode on 3DS.

What do you mean other sleep mode?  There is only one sleep mode on 3DS.

If I understand you guys right, the sleep mode button on the 2DS is supposed to emulate the screen turning off when you fold the screen over on a regular 3DS, right? On the regular 3DS (and presumably this one too), there's the standard sleep mode which you get by pressing the power button then closing the lid instead of shutting it down all the way, which uses even less power still but allows the wireless function to remain on for Streetpass interactions.

Considering the latter shuts your current game down as opposed to solving whatever interface screw puzzle required it, I think that's a pretty important distinction to make.

All the power button does is instantly shut down the game.  The sleep mode that occurs when you close on that screen has no different features than just closing the 3DS midplay.

• Thumbs Up 1

But how many games would you actually need to shut your game to actually complete? I have at least 25 or so DS games and I don't think I've ever been asked to close my system to do something before. I know some games do it, but seriously, would this even be a common problem that would need to be considered on a regular basis?

It seems like these games are niche too, so I highly doubt this would become an issue.

I'm not sure why a 4 year old would be playing games like the Last Window.

Not every post needs to be responded to as if it was a "Nintendo is doomed" comment. Talking about games that may have major issues when played on the system suggesting that it is a large issue overall.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 2

So, the new Feedbackula from Gamespot talks about the responses from the 2DS

And here's one near the end
tumblr_msczrbxDPu1qd2mamo1_500.png
My brain hurts.

My brain hurts.

...That makes no since; the 3ds DOES play 3ds games as they are completely separate from DS games. That comment was some serious trolling right there tongue.png.

A hands-on look at PAX 2013.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO6QkkyaL7I

It looks a lot smaller than I thought it'll be.

I'm...warming up to the thing actually. I still have a 3DS so I'm not getting that, but yeah, I can see its benefits.

Is it just me, or does the screen look more sharper? The colors are more sharper and brighter than the demo 3ds's I've seen at GameStop.

Might have to get one of these things one day, as it's not only cheaper, but it looks much more conferrable to hold and it has a better screen from the looks of it :).

Is it just me, or does the screen look more sharper? The colors are more sharper and brighter than the demo 3ds's I've seen at GameStop.

Might have to get one of these things one day, as it's not only cheaper, but it looks much more conferrable to hold and it has a better screen from the looks of it smile.png.

Remember, it's one screen. People may not know this, but since there are two different screens with different technologies in the DS/3DS, one screen will look more tinted than the other. The 3D screen might also not be as sharp.

Having one screen can eliminate the problem of operating two different screens with a different level of sharpness and they could possibly pour more money into getting a better screen instead of spending the money on 3D technology.

Having one screen can eliminate the problem of operating two different screens with a different level of sharpness and they could possibly pour more money into getting a better screen instead of spending the money on 3D technology.

> Pour money into better tech

> Nintendo

hahahaha

My brain hurts.

I need to link that Review Tech USA video here. It's like this guy is blind. The core audience are the KIDS. They don't want to continue using the old design with the hinges because kids will make them wobbly/loose by constantly opening/closing the DS. The 3D effect is off for the people who cant play in 3d and for the younger kids. It's trying to be affordable & kid friendly

Also, worst looking design? He probably never tried one before.

My brain hurts.

What they mean is they would rather the 2DS have the excellent clamshell design of the other DS's, rather than taking on this new Tiger Electronics knock-off design.

Oh, so the Gamecube then?

I'm still disappointed that they haven't made an effort to be "current" since then. They don't even need to be the most powerful, just at a similar level to the others would be nice, especially in terms of ports.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh, so the Gamecube then?

Yes, the console that was designed over ten years ago was the last one Nintendo actually put a moderate degree of effort into modernizing.

• Thumbs Up 2

I just wish these people out there would get it into their heads that this design is not geared towards them. This device is geared towards kids, not towards these whiny reviewers and nintendo bashers out there that just want to keep their more modern design. The 2DS is designed for kids in mine, not for adults like us. Sure, we can still play it, but if you dont like the design because it looks more like a kids toy now instead of your high tech handheld gaming device, you have other options. Nintendo isn't forcing you to buy this new version of the system.

I just wish these people out there would get it into their heads that this design is not geared towards them. This device is geared towards kids, not towards these whiny reviewers and nintendo bashers out there that just want to keep their more modern design. The 2DS is designed for kids in mine, not for adults like us. Sure, we can still play it, but if you dont like the design because it looks more like a kids toy now instead of your high tech handheld gaming device, you have other options. Nintendo isn't forcing you to buy this new version of the system.

> other options

Where's my 2DS that doesn't look like a Leapster, then?

You can quite easily get an XL or regular 3DS for cheaper than a 2DS if you know where to look. Price and options isn't an issue anymore, the only issue is how much you want a 3DS.

Edited by SuperLink

tumblr_ms9r8xbGHe1r3bmv3o1_r1_500.jpg

What did you say about the 2DS?

Hate the Animal Crossing killer meme, but this is just perfect.

I don't even mind the look of the 2DS, I think it looks ok and also pretty durable as long as it's kept in the case when not in use. Still getting an XL though, once I feel like upgrading.

> other options

If you dont want one, then don't get one. It's simple as that honestly. It may look like a kids toy, but I'm pretty sure that is what they were going for in the long run. As they pointed out, if you just want something like the 2DS, then justkeep the 3D turned off like I do on my 3DS most of the time. The 2DS isn't really geared towards us, but if we want to get one, there is nothing stopping us from getting one at all. If I didn't already have a 3DS, I would still get the normal 3DS like I have. The 2DS is not aimed at me and I have no desire to get one, but at the same time, I see the appeal for it and fully approve of what they did there with it.