Awoo.

Nintendo 3DS

Patticus

The 2DS has been selling incredibly well at my local GAME store, the price point is perfect for parents buying for their kids for Christmas! Nintendo's got a good thing going here, hardly pointless at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

I want you guys to download Resident Evil Mercenaries so we can play online.

It's on sale for $9.99 on the eShop. It's perfect since it is an arcade experience.

Sign up for Club Nintendo and you can get a couple 3DS games for free. Zelda is free at the moment.

It is?? Which one and is it only for USA Club Nintendo members?

My 3DS library is sorely lacking :( I have a load on my Christmas list, and am trying to decide which Pokemon to buy :P looks teeny compared to my (old) DS catalogue of around 45-50 games...before that were stolen. :(

Nintendo has learned that some consumers, including minors, have been exchanging their friend codes on Internet bulletin boards

lel

• Thumbs Up 4

Funny how it follows the release of the Nintendo 2DS, what with it being explicitly geared for children.

EDIT: Then again, didn't Nintendo state that they're hoping to bring Miiverse onto the 3DS? Can't recall.

I can't think of much to say. It's like burning down a house because of some spider nests, and also how are we supposed to communicate with our friends for whom we don't have other contact info? Our tiny, tiny status messages? Although I expect most people don't have that problem. I can only hope that Flipnote 3D is coming very soon and allows you to send stuff.

Anyway, Swapnote is now in my Junk folder.

Hooray, appealing to every typical Japanese fetish imaginable? =/

I honestly don't mean to be confrontational, but do you really have to do this every single time this game is mentioned? It's like you're seeing it for the first time every time.

Regardless, I do agree that it looks really stupid.

Say buh-bye to the Spotpass feature of Swapnote/Nintendo Letter Box and any special notes.

http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/UHQZFP2Jxcll_Vm-PsZpxNIK5920bRRK

Fucking stop with this shit, Nintendo. You're not my mommy.

Edited by Discoid

I honestly don't mean to be confrontational, but do you really have to do this every single time this game is mentioned? It's like you're seeing it for the first time every time.

Ah, fair enough. I'm sorry if I came across annoying with these posts.

I think you guys are missing the actual reason why they did this:

Nintendo has learned that some consumers, including minors, have been exchanging their friend codes on Internet bulletin boards and then using Swapnote to exchange offensive material. Nintendo has been investigating ways of preventing this and determined it is best to stop the SpotPass feature of Swapnote because it allows direct exchange of photos and was actively misused.

Obviously Nintendo didn't remove it because people were sharing their friend codes. I'm just going to assume that people (Including children) were sharing nude pics with each other as I don't see them doing something this drastic for any other reason.

Obviously Nintendo didn't remove it because people were sharing their friend codes. I'm just going to assume that people (Including children) were sharing nude pics with each other as I don't see them doing something this drastic for any other reason.

You can share nude pics on Facebook, Gmail, and Skype too.

Who the fuck cares. None of it is public.

Edited by Discoid
  • Thumbs Up 5

Unless it's CP I'm not sure what business it is of Nintendo's.

Which considering they think there were children involved I guess it's technically possible, but it's not something you shut down the whole fucking service over.

You can share nude pics on Facebook, Gmail. and Skype too.

Who the fuck cares. None of it is public.

They specifically mentioned in that article that minors were abusing the picture feature of Swapnote too. That kinda tells me that they were scared of what might happen if people found out a kid was sending those kinds of pics to an adult, so they decided to cut problem off at the source.

I'm not sure how Swapnote is structured, so I don't know if this was a smart move or not. Either way, I was just pointing out that they stopped the service because people were sharing inappropriate pictures, not because they were simply sharing their FCs online.

Edited by Red Cap-Blue Spikes

They specifically mentioned in that article that minors were abusing the picture feature of Swapnote too. That kinda tells me that they were scared of what might happen if people found out a kid was sending those kinds of pics to an adult, so they decided to cut problem off at the source.

I'm not sure how Swapnote is structured, so I don't know if this was a smart move or not. Either way, I was just pointing out that they stopped the service because people were sharing inappropriate pictures, not because they were simply sharing their FCs online.

This reminds me that you can attach photos to private messages on PS3.

brb, gonna go send dick pics to everyone and shut the entire network down.

Oh I knew it wasn't because people were sharing Friend Codes online. That's...pretty much a given on obtaining each others' code for the most part.

Wait a minute, wait a minute
So the Spotpass service is disabled for Swapnote right?

But, Streetpass service is still available? Correct?
If there really were Kids and most likely Adults meeting on the internet and swapping via Spotpass/Friend Codes....won't this make them more likely to decide to meet with each other IRL and swap via Streetpass if they live close enough?

Isn't this like a win-win for Pedophiles now?

One point I've seen made elsewhere is that Miiverse 3DS would make certain aspects of Swapnote redundant anyway, so they would likely have fewer qualms about shutting it down.  Still, what surprises me most is that Nintendo didn't see this coming from the start.  They're usually so paranoid about threats to their family-friendly image - I recall them making similar decisions on anti-paedophile grounds in the past, and just consider the way they warn their own customers off the 3DS's selling-point, its ability to display in 3D, on the grounds that there's some vague suspicion it might harm children's eyesight.  The decision to kill off Swapnote is cast from the same mould.