Awoo.

Nintendo 3DS

Patticus

Some Ubisoft games are 75% off on the eShop - including Rayman Origins. 

If what the demo offered is anything to go by, then you should probably stay away from it. The slowdown is just terrible and flow-breaking.

Rayman 3d is whats tempting me, I loved that game as a kid, but I might have to resist

Rayman 3d is whats tempting me, I loved that game as a kid, but I might have to resist

Ubisoft keeps making crappy ports of that game. Buyer beware.

Ubisoft keeps making crappy ports of that game. Buyer beware.

well I decided not to anyway, I got enough quality games, several platformers I already want anyways

kinda sad I couldn't track down a buy 2 get 1 free deal, but KTD and FEA should keep me busy along with those VC games

I want a 3DS XL so bad right now, but am expecting a Super Smash limited edition one. Wonder why it's taking forever for them to announce the thing. Do Nintendo usually announce a bundle closer to the games releases? Besides, do you guys think it's worth it to wait, or should I just pick up a standard 3DS XL?

Several of them were announced less than a month the games came out. I wouldn't expect a Smash Bros 3DS XL announcement for a while.

I think it's worth getting the special edition versions. The value they hold is far more than the value of the standard 3DS XL. I also think the regular 3DS XL systems look a bit bland. The special edition gives the device identity. When the 4DS XXXXL comes out, you could pretty much sell the special edition system for a lot of money and buy the newest system.

say, still hoping on some VC games, and I wanted to ask, if I can't afford the sequel, is the original Shantae still fine to get?

and are Fire Emblem Awakening and Kirby Triple Deluxe going to be good games to start with this summer?

Yes to both of those games!

Kirby Triple Deluxe is a great Kirby game and fun platformer for the 3DS. As for Fire Emblem Awakening, I know there's some die hard Fire Emblem fans who don't like it a whole lot. But for me, it being the first game I've played in the series, I enjoyed it immensely and it's a great way to get into the turn based strategy genre and the Fire Emblem series. Helps too that there's a casual mode so you don't have to go through all the pain and suffering of permanently losing team mates!

• Thumbs Up 1

Pokémon Trading Card Game is coming to the European 3DS e-Shop on July 10th

Pokemon Trading Card Game (Nintendo, GBC VC) - €4.99/£4.49
Based on the incredibly popular Pokémon Trading Card Game, this Game Boy Color version was a hit with gamers and card collectors alike. Explore the game world to find opponents and gather info. Learn how to build and manage decks, win battles to receive booster packs, then take on the eight Club Masters. Your goal: to impress the Grand Masters enough to inherit their Legendary Pokémon Cards! Includes more than 200 Pokémon Trading Cards based on the original decks, plus new cards exclusive to this game.

That's awesome. I loved this game as a kid. I'd love a new one.

Other releases:

Nintendo eShop (3DS)

Jett Rocket II: The Wrath of Taikai Demo (Shin'en Multimedia) - Free
Jett Rocket returns! Your favourite planetary inspector is back and in trouble. His arch-rival Kaiser Taikai has to settle an old score with him. Explore the home planet of the Power Plant Posse and ignite your trusty old jet pack in this epic full-3D action-adventure that runs at a super-smooth 60 frames per second!

Special offers
Nintendo Pocket Football Club (Nintendo) - €11.79/£10.79 (Ends July 13, regular price €14.99/£13.49)
Jett Rocket II: The Wrath of Taikai (Shin'en Multimedia) - €4.99/£4.25 (Ends July 24, regular price €8.99/£7.66)

Nintendo eShop (Wii U)

Pop'n Twinbee (Konami, SNES VC) - €7.99/£5.49
The classic Super NES "cute 'em up" returns, thanks to Virtual Console! Pilot the sweet yet powerful spacecraft TwinBee and WinBee, as you fend off the forces of the Donguri army. Fly through seven stages solo or simultaneously with a friend, to defeat the evil Dr Mardock's forces. Power up by collecting bells; shooting them to change their colour and effect. Two players can also team up, to transfer energy if one of you is low, or to grab and throw a player around the screen and take out multiple enemies!

This is the European version of the game, which was originally optimised by the developer to play music at a speed similar to the US version. Gameplay, demos and animations run at PAL speed. The aspect ratio has been corrected for this release.

Wii Karaoke U by JOYSOUND: 2-hour Ticket (Nintendo) - €2.99/£2.69
Calling all seasoned karaoke veterans and newcomers alike - Wii Karaoke U by JOYSOUND is a unique Japanese karaoke box experience for Wii U, giving you the choice to have a private sing-along with friends in your living room, or compete to become one of Europe's finest voices!

Special offers
NES Remix (Nintendo) - €6.99/£6.29 for people who own NES Remix 2 (Ends July 24, regular price €9.99/£8.99)
NES Remix 2 (Nintendo) - €6.99/£6.29 for people who own NES Remix (Ends July 24, regular price €9.99/£8.99)

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/232601-this-week-s-european-downloads-july-10-pokemon-tcg-and-more

New 3DS firmware is out.

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=232748

It's only for stability though....or is it? If it were something like that, it would have been a decimal number, not a full bump up to version 8. Further more, Emily Rogers and several indie devs say that Nintendo is planning something. 

The Game Bakers have also said that Nintendo is working on a cross buy feature too.

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/232774-the-game-bakers-say-nintendo-is-doing-more-work-for-cross-buy-support

I may as well ask this here since I couldn't think of a better place to do so at the moment.

I've been thinking of getting another 3DS game before I go back to college in the fall, but since I'm not really sure of which one this time around, I was wondering if you guys could help recommend me some titles. To give you some sort of idea, these are the games I already own:

Star Fox 64 3D

Super Mario 3D Land

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team

Sonic Generations

Sonic Lost World

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D

Kid Icarus: Uprising

Mario Kart 7*

I'd be fine with either retail games or eShop titles. I'm pretty preferential toward platformers, but I'm not too big on RPGs. However, I'd be willing to try any genre as long as it's good.

*My brother actually owns it, so I don't always have access to it.

If you like platformers, Kirby Triple Deluxe is a great little game that, despite not being the most groundbreaking Kirby title ever, will give you a couple of hours worth of fun. Another great game which is not strictly a platformer but certainly an amazing Luigi game is Luigi's Mansion 2. Other games I recommend include Fire Emblem Awakening (though it is a turn based strategy game, so I hope you like those!) and Ocarina of Time 3D. There are a lot of other good games out there on the 3DS but I think these ones are my favourites!

• Thumbs Up 1

If you like platformers, Kirby Triple Deluxe is a great little game that, despite not being the most groundbreaking Kirby title ever, will give you a couple of hours worth of fun. Another great game which is not strictly a platformer but certainly an amazing Luigi game is Luigi's Mansion 2. Other games I recommend include Fire Emblem Awakening (though it is a turn based strategy game, so I hope you like those!) and Ocarina of Time 3D. There are a lot of other good games out there on the 3DS but I think these ones are my favourites!

Thanks for the suggestions!

I was actually considering Triple Deluxe for a while since it seemed to fit most with what I was looking for, and I might pick it up now. I haven't really owned a Kirby game or played much of them before either, so this could be a good introduction to the series for me.

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon also intrigued me, but my only concern was that I hadn't played much of the original on GameCube. That probably shouldn't be a limiting factor, though, so I'll consider it as well.

I actually have the Fire Emblem: Awakening demo and I enjoyed it for just how fluid and high-quality its aesthetics were. I'm still new to Fire Emblem as a whole, but this could be another good jumping-on game (despite the flak it's received because of it).

If you couldn't already tell, there are actually quite a few Nintendo series I've yet to really experience. :P I hope to change that, though.

Apologies for the double post, but I don't think this has been posted here yet.

Best Buy stores in the US will have a buy-one-get-one-free deal on select 3DS games. The sale runs from July 20-26.

best-buy-b1g1-3ds.jpg

Luckily for me, I actually don't own any of these games yet. I'm planning on getting Kirby: Triple Deluxe as one of the games, but for my second one I can't decide between A Link Between Worlds, Yoshi's New Island, Tomodachi Life, or Bravely Default. I might be leaning toward the first.

Son of a bitch, I bought my 2DS and Bravely Default from Toys R Us just last week! I suppose I could always return Bravely Default (haven't opened it yet) and wait for the sale next weekend... but honestly that sounds like far too much of a hassle now :/ Maybe I can always grab Kirby and Zelda, but I doubt I'm going to have a lot of time for other games at the moment--Pokémon is already a huge timesink as it is...

SteamWorld Dig discounted to £3.99 this week on the EU eShop:

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/58260/eshop-games-of-the-week-earthbound-little-inferno-on-sale/

I recently downloaded the PC version in the Steam sale and can definitely recommend the game - it's a great little title that would definitely suit the pick up and play style of the 3DS. £3.99 is probably a pretty apt price to have a version that you can take on the go with you at all times.

Best Buy stores in the US will have a buy-one-get-one-free deal on select 3DS games. The sale runs from July 20-26.

best-buy-b1g1-3ds.jpg

Luckily for me, I actually don't own any of these games yet. I'm planning on getting Kirby: Triple Deluxe as one of the games, but for my second one I can't decide between A Link Between Worlds, Yoshi's New Island, Tomodachi Life, or Bravely Default. I might be leaning toward the first.

...I could get Pokemon X (again) and get some game from here for free...

Damn, thing is for me is the lack of particular interest in the selection here (either from not being outright interested in the game (s) or not being knowledgeable/good at the genre of game)...

@_@ Ooh~~ that's lovely. Though I hope I can choose what my free game is. *notes that New Leaf isn't on that list* Of course I'd be fine with taking Pokemon and Tomodachi but I'd like New Leaf as well. 

• 7 months later...

Apparently it's been found out that the New 3DS XL actually has slightly better hardware, the screen. The n3DSXL uses an IPS display while the n3DS uses a TN panel. The difference is that an IPS display has a wider viewing angle and displays colors better.

Luminosity comparison:
new 3DS : 158 cd/m²
Oled Vita: 117 cd/m²
Old 3DS: 84 cd/m²

That's actually kind of cool. So playing games on the New 3DS XL means you should have better picture quality.

• 4 weeks later...

So, I spent a chunk of the morning watching the Level-5 Vision 2015 press conference (online, I assume it'll be replayable later), and there's plenty of relevant 3DS news:

• Nintendo will be publishing the Yokai Watch franchise in the west.
  • Yokai Watch 3 for 3DS is in development, and is set in America.
  • Level-5's new cross-media project, Snack World, is also in development for 3DS; it's a "hyper casual fantasy" set in a world of high fantasy with elements of suburbia, in which you scan NFC toys to unlock items in-game.
  • I missed the Layton 7 segment, but it appears to look completely different from when we last saw it a year and a half ago; nonetheless, it still has nothing to do with Layton and still is on mobile.
  • Fantasy Life 2!  ...Is also a mobile game!
  • Thumbs Up 1

Luckily on the subject of Fantasy Life 2, it appears to be little more than Fantasy Life 1 retooled for smartphones. 3DS won't be missing out on anything.

The Snack World is meant to be Level-5's mega-hit that'll take the world by storm (or something like that). Needless to say they have REALLY high hopes for it. And I mean higher than Yo-kai Watch. So it'll be something to keep an eye on.

• Thumbs Up 1