Awoo.

Nintendo 3DS

Patticus

It'll be on their to--do list until the rapture

Pretty sure Bioshock already came out.

*badum-pish*

I'm just hoping there'll be a pure red one, as I'm not too keen on the red and black and it will ruin my trend of all-red DS'. D:

As for the account system, they really should have taken this route in the first place...I hate having to put my card details in every time I want Wii Points. ¬_¬

Well, the entire outside of the red 3DS is glossy red. The inside of the top half is matte black. That's close enough for me, though I might actually get the blue one.

Edited by Hero Of Fate

If purple doesn't come out, I might end up getting black.. Most of my portables are black.. Gameboy Pocket, GBA SP, DS Phat, DS Lite, PSP. My original Gameboy was green, my GBC yellow (But I had this rubber thing around it to protect it when it falls and that was black. It looked awesome together.),my second GBC was seethrough purple (Than I found my first one again xD ) my GBA was see through purple..

I'm just hoping there'll be a pure red one, as I'm not too keen on the red and black and it will ruin my trend of all-red DS'. D:

I'm pretty sure the black is supposed to be there to enhance or make possible the 3D effect. I don't know why people hate that so much, I personally think that besides practical purposes, it looks great.

I'm pretty sure the black is supposed to be there to enhance or make possible the 3D effect.

Wait what.

Where did you get that idea? The black won't really do anything. It won't make it possible, it's paint.

It's more that likely a style thing, because the black can't make the 3D possible and I severely doubt it would make it look better too.

I'm pretty sure the black is supposed to be there to enhance or make possible the 3D effect.

I've been hearing this thrown around, and I'm not sure where it came from. I'm not saying you are wrong, but I would like a source of some kind saying that the black is for practical reasons.

I've been hearing this thrown around, and I'm not sure where it came from. I'm not saying you are wrong, but I would like a source of some kind saying that the black is for practical reasons.

I've not seen a source either, I've just been hearing it, and it does sound reasonable. It seems like a bit of an arbitrary design choice if not, so it could be the case.

I do wonder where the rumor comes from, because I keep hearing that black borders around a 3D panel helps with the effect. Who came up with this?

I do wonder where the rumor comes from, because I keep hearing that black borders around a 3D panel helps with the effect. Who came up with this?

From what I know, it's more than likely someone thinking the dark in a movie theater helps with the 3D.

It's not true, i've been in a theater where the lights weren't working right, so they played the movie in 3D with the lights on, the effect was the same, the screen was naturally not quite as vibrant as it would be with the lights off, but the 3D itself was not affected at all.

And I can't see how black paint would make a screen more vibrant at all.

The 3DS achieves it's 3D effect by having twice the horizontal DPI. Both images use the same vertical pixels, a very tricky design. I guess they use polarizers to make sure the correct eye sees the correct image. The back coating isn't strictly necessary for 3D, but if it wasn't painted black, your eyes might find some detail to focus on on the casing and occasionally cause the 3D illusion to fall apart.

And I can't see how black paint would make a screen more vibrant at all.

Less ambient light reflecting off the casing will cause your eyes to dilate slightly more than they would otherwise causing the screen to appear brighter.

but if it wasn't painted black, your eyes might find some detail to focus on on the casing and occasionally cause the 3D illusion to fall apart.

You can see the effect from the side in a video of the 3DS. I know someone posted it here, but it's easily visible from an angle that would be expected to break the illusion. I doubt your eyes moving a little will fuck it up too much.

also by brother's blue DSi's screen looks just as bright as my black one. the black, it does nothing.

You can see the effect from the side in a video of the 3DS. I know someone posted it here, but it's easily visible from an angle that would be expected to break the illusion. I doubt your eyes moving a little will fuck it up too much.

I don't know about anyone else but I highly doubt the "3D" in those videos is anything but a placebo effect.

And no, a different color probably wouldn't make a huge difference, but chances are the 3D looks better with the black.

I don't know about anyone else but I highly doubt the "3D" in those videos is anything but a placebo effect.

No, i'm talking about a video from E3, you can't see the actual 3D effect, but you can see the layering to a point where you can get a good understanding. The 3DS is pointed so that the screen is diagonal, but slightly pointed to the camera. It gives the effect of a slightly flat 3D even like that, eye movement does not seem like an issue.

we'll see when we have it in our hands, speculating from e3 videos where you can't even /really/ see the effect is kind of fruitless.

The black thing kind of makes sense though

Oh great. Now to add more to the confusion, Reggie just said it's going to be released next year on Jimmy Fallon's show. T ^T

Reggie being a mysterious bastard again. I still think it's going to be out by Christmas, mainly due to how many sales they'll miss if they end up releasing it in March. January 2011 at the latest, because they could get sales from post-Christmas giftcard shopping.

Oh great. Now to add more to the confusion, Reggie just said it's going to be released next year on Jimmy Fallon's show. T ^T

WHY REGGIE WHY ;_;

It was all going so well...

*hopes things change or are different in Europe*

Just saw the news myself at Kotaku -

http://kotaku.com/5573315/nintendo-of-america-says-when-nintendo-3dss-will-be-out

Here's the video if anyone hasn't seen it -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-gHi1mpPRs&feature=player_embedded

Sounds pretty sure so I guess he means it, he is the president of Nintendo of America after all and I doubt Europe will get it any earlier than the U.S. :(

Ugh. I wanted it for Christmas D:. I hope the release date changes and its released this year :(

I'm probably the only one who is actually having a sigh of relief over that its coming out later.

Oh well!

I really don't think people should be taking this as absolute fact, because I'm pretty sure Nintendo of Japan doesn't want Reggie to give ANY specifics about the date (including whether it was coming this year or next). I would say wait until whatever 3DS event Nintendo is going to have, then we can be disappointed.

Edited by Hero Of Fate

You know, I don't think I've ever watched a "person rants on the internet through a crappy home webcam" video in my life, and considering the supposed content of this one, I'm not about to start. Frankly, I'm amazed people would even bother wasting their time with this trash.

• Thumbs Up 1