Awoo.

Nintendo 3DS

Patticus

Pokémon 5 was confirmed for the DS though :( I doubt Nintendo'd keep the 3DS a secret from GameFreak if they knew GameFreak would be working on a huge new title...

Who's saying they did keep it a secret? Obviously Game Freak wouldn't be able to announce a game for a console that hasn't been unveiled yet so they probably just announced it was for DS, it wouldn't really be the Next Generation of Pokemon if it was exactly the same as before technology wise.

Yup, it's listed on Nintendo's official site with a 2010 DS release.

Another huge announcement stealing thunder from an obscure but amazing title is just typical. GS is one of my fave RPGs ever :/

GS was never a hugely popular game though, even if it was released a few years ago I doubt it would have risen out of obscurity. Just look at Chrono Trigger on DS, that game sold like ass despite being one of the most critically acclaimed RPGs of all time.

As with every videogame related announcement, a new statement has been made by analyst Michael Pachter -

Wedbush Morgan analysts Michael Pachter has told CVG that the just-announced Nintendo 3DS will need to have more of a "breakthough in gameplay" than just a 3D display - otherwise other firms like Apple will simply mimic it.

Pachter mused over how Nintendo might achieve 3D without the use of glasses. "I don't understand the technology behind a 3D display that doesn't require glasses. If it's so easy to do, why would Samsung put out 3D HDTVs that require glasses? My guess is that Nintendo has figured something out that is either very cool and advanced, or is a gimmick, and until I see it, I really won't know."

Pachter went on to comment: "What's interesting to me is that Nintendo is so bold. It seems that if 3D on portable devices was easy, Apple would have beat them to it. If they truly pioneer a technology, my guess is that Apple will mimic the technology. Without a real breakthrough in game play (as happened with the DS), I'm not sure that this device will do much more than serve as a replacement for current DS owners."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=240094

I love how people talk about Apple as if they know videogames, the iPhone isn't even a handheld games console and it's certainly proven it can never be one xD

• Thumbs Up 3

Oh boy, I sure do love my new DSI! Doodeedoo-deedo! *Sees updates.* ...O_O ...! *Takes his copy of "Bowser's Inside Story" out of the slot and throws his DSi aside.*

Explode-05-june.gif

I barely had my DSi for under a year and I can say that I'm definitely hyping this! I mean, with everything that this system is confirmed to do already, I've already packed my bags and jumped aboard the hype train. Now all I need to hear is, "Backwards compatible/or downloadable GBA titles." and I'll sign my pre-order in blood. [/dark humor] (What? It's not like I'll use my blood! What you think I am, crazy?)

Anyway, this was a huge left field bomb drop by Nintendo. And I'm loving it! I can't wait to see this baby in action at E3. *Especially with the, "BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!" hint hint.* I may not able able to display this in my sig anymore, but I guess you can say that for now...

gPE89.gif

I just hope that Nintendo tested this thing thoroughly. I'm still hype as high stoners, but I don't want to pay good money for a device that'll melt my eyes like 'The system that shall not be named' or in it's actually name "The Virtual boy".*Thunder clashes.* I'm not sure if this form of 3D will avoid that, but still it's a wait and see.

... Can we also confirm that it'll PRINT MONEY?!

Edited by Thunder-Salad YoshiUnity

Every gaming website out there is posting that video despite it being revealed about a month or so ago and as if it will be what the 3DS can do when it's just something done with the DSi camera, not representative of the 3DS's technology. I look forward to seeing how Nintendo will pull off portable 3D tech without the use of glasses.

GS was never a hugely popular game though, even if it was released a few years ago I doubt it would have risen out of obscurity. Just look at Chrono Trigger on DS, that game sold like ass despite being one of the most critically acclaimed RPGs of all time.

The DS is hugely popular and GS3 would be the perfect opportunity to get the game heard of, I mean it's Nintendo, they can market anything.

It's like they don't even want it to sell well.

PS. You're 100% right about Apple.

Edited by SuperLink

Watch this be far less than what people are expecting it to be and much less popular than the DS family. The press release makes it sound like the DS Mark 3.

If I happen to be wrong about that: *JOY*

I just bought a DSi XL recently and I definitely don't regret it, but if this manages to top it and not feel gimmicky, I'm so in.

This had better be the next big leap then, rather than another "GBA SP/Micro" shenanigan. I'm looking for better graphics and an actual step forward besides 3D.

I'm pretty much 100% certain this in a next gen console. They wouldn't just announce a new model right after the XL was released. Also 3D without glasses is a pretty major feature, some DSi games can do it, but why bother announcing a new system if DSi could already do it to some extent?

No, I'm pretty sure this is the first 8th gen console.

I sure hope so.

Also, inb4 it comes out with a slimmer version 1 year later.

Although I'm not sold on this (and won't be until I get substance), I do think it's nice that Nintendo is allowing the 3D experience to be easier to obtain, even if it is just on a handheld. I'm no expert, but I believe one would usually have to purchase a 3DTV, and those things cost a TON o' Money. Nintendo is typically reasonable with their prices, and the 3D capabilities are being built in here, rather than having to buy an expensive TV. That's pretty nice.

I myself probably won't have a 3DTV until the next big thing is out, causing the price to drop considerably. I just got a HDTV 2 months back. Heh, always a step behind...

I myself probably won't have a 3DTV until the next big thing is out, causing the price to drop considerably. I just got a HDTV 2 months back. Heh, always a step behind...

Same here really. If 3D is the next big thing, I won't be getting a 3DTV until midway next gen at the earliest probably. I got my HDTV at a decent price, but it's only 20" and now you can get much bigger TVs for cheaper :/ Which ANNOYS ME. >:

3DTV? Don't you need glasses for that? Correct me if I'm wrong.

If Nintendo are making a console without the need for glasses then it can't be long until TVs can do the same :P

If Nintendo are making a console without the need for glasses then it can't be long until TVs can do the same :P

3D glasses make me ill. They'd better not make 'em mandatory for 3DTVs in the future. @_@

3D glasses make me ill. They'd better not make 'em mandatory for 3DTVs in the future. @_@

Same here really, I had a headache by the end of Avatar (it was pretty damn long though)

I'm sure they won't be.

It's neat to see Nintendo following Sony's steps in adding 3D support into their gaming systems. This will help push the technology, boosting acceptance into the general public's mindshare.

And now I'll have to convince my little sister to not buy this N3DS doohickey at launch and wait instead for the inevitable Lite version with better ergonomics and features so she doesn't feel jipped like usual.

Edit: She won't listen to me, though. And a year or two later I'll get the orgasmic pleasure of uttering THE line: "I told you so"

Edited by Dobkeratops
  • Thumbs Up 1

And now I'll have to convince my little sister to not buy this N3DS doohickey at launch and wait instead for the inevitable Lite version with better ergonomics and features so she doesn't feel jipped like usual.

Edit: She won't listen to me, though. And a year or two later I'll get the orgasmic pleasure of uttering THE line: "I told you so"

DSP is superior to all later DS models because it fits nicely in your hands (i.e. isn't shaped like a total cuboid and actually has curves) and has an awesome D-Pad where diagonals actually work. ;)

I'll be buying a 3DS at launch and I probably won't buy any of its succeeding models. Not even DSiWare is enough to make me buy a DSi or XL (DSiWare is mostly crap anyway)

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 1

This had better be the next big leap then, rather than another "GBA SP/Micro" shenanigan. I'm looking for better graphics and an actual step forward besides 3D.

EDIT: Fears somewhat laid to rest.

It's not another DS shenanigan, the press release days its a successor to the DS series so yes its the next portable console.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2010/100323.pdf

Speaking of DSi, this one better be region-free or it'll be a complete step back no matter how many holographic projectors are included. Imagine if a new Ouendan came out and you couldn't import it D:

Fuck, the only reasons I bother to put up with the horrible DS resolution (tends to give me headaches, it's a personal problem) are Ouendan/EBA and the Phoenix Wright saga. Which on a completely unrelated subject reminds me I gotta play AA:Investigations!

Edited by Dobkeratops
  • Thumbs Up 1

Speaking of DSi, this one better be region-free or it'll be a complete step back no matter how many holographic projectors are included. Imagine if a new Ouendan came out and you couldn't import it D:

I wouldn't count on it, Nintendo have been getting more and more anal about imports, even the DSi is region locked. It still plays all regular DS games, but DSi games are :/

It's neat to see Nintendo following Sony's steps in adding 3D support into their gaming systems.

This is a 3D handheld, not a PS3 game packed with flimsy 3D glasses... it's a whole step forward. ;)

• Thumbs Up 2

DSP is superior to all later DS models

WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA LET'S NOT GO CRAZY O_o

As the owner of a Phat, Lite and XL, I can safely say that whilst the DS Phat was a revolution on release there is absolutely no way it is superior to any of its successor models in any sense. To make sure I wasn't being unkind I just fired up my DS Phat for a couple minutes - and that's all I could stand. Holy shit the screens are an abomination - the screens look like someone came in and sprayed fog all over them, they're so unclear. The backlight even refracts on the inside of the screen panel and cocks up the screen colours! On top of that the Phat has a really cheap feel to it compared to its newer cousins. It feels like I'm using a prototype, and I am. By comparison the DSi and Lite are much superior to the Phat (though the D-Pad is unfortunately a slight step back but nowhere near as bad as people claim it to be), yet the 'i and Lite are equivalent if you're not interested in GBA games, camera features nor online downloads. If the XL screens really bother you that much, stick with whichever one has the features you want (for me it's GBA support).

Then there's the XL. (Or as my uni friends like to call it, the "Granny DS".) Aesthetically the XL is a meaty bugger, just weighty enough to feel like you're holding something with some major guts to it without being uncomfortable. Even the system case outclasses all other models - the bottom half of the unit uses a superb quality finish that disperses finger sweat much more efficiently than the Lite ever did (great on hot days!), whilst the top half features an equally well-produced clear finish that makes the product look right at home on a coffee table. The screens are the key feature though, and the quality cannot be properly explained in words - only seeing one for yourself gets the message across. The screens are phenomenal and the adverts are no exaggeration - I can put Pokémon or AAI in there, sit my XL on the coffee table, sit back on the sofa and just play. My first few hours playing with the XL I had to get used to not needing to hold the screen so close to my face anymore and actually being able to play in a comfortable sitting position. The screens are clear from a ridiculous distance and insane angles and it really is possible now to have people watch you play your games and demonstrate what you're doing to others. EVERYTHING plays miles better on the XL to the point that I cannot use my Lite for long anymore without getting epic screen withdrawl and jumping back to my XL.

And most important of all: my EU DSi XL plays my US Diamond cart. DS/DS Lite games are still region-free, and that was something I didn't expect when I purchased my XL.

TL;DR: The XL is quite possibly the best £160 I ever spent, is vastly underrated and if you haven't seen the XL's screens for yourselves screenshots and reviews can't do them justice. Buy one.

(Soooo looking forward to playing SoulSilver on this thing. :D)

• Thumbs Up 1

The DSi D-Pads are OK and the console is much more comfortable than the DSL, but the lack of a GBA slot makes trading in my DSP for one out of the question. You know how much I love Pokémon don't you? How can I live without a GBA slot?

And the D-Pad of the DSL is so horrible (JUST. CAN'T. GO. DIAGONAL.) that I honestly don't care how bad the DSP's screen is, it's still not as bad as the screen of the original GBA.

I probably would get an XL if...

-The 3DS wasn't out so soon

-The XL colours weren't so ugly

-It wasn't so friggin expensive for 5-year-old hardware.

I'm not paying £50 extra for bigger screens considering they probably didn't cost that much more to make in the first place.