Awoo.

Nintendo 3DS

Patticus

For GBA games I've actually considered tracking down a GBA SP as the third-party rechargeable batteries in my ancient GBA suck (bloody hell, it's 9 years old already!) and don't work anymore, I still have GB/GBC/GBA games I like to play every now and then and half the GBA peripherals don't work with the DS (the largest offenders being the GC-GBA link cable and the GBA wireless adapter). If I did that my DS Lite really would have absolutely nothing going for it anymore.

You actually get quite a bit more than simply bigger screens for that £50 you pay but it's difficult to get across the benefits of those features without trying them out for yourself. Meh. :/

For GBA games I've actually considered tracking down a GBA SP as the third-party rechargeable batteries in my ancient GBA suck (bloody hell, it's 9 years old already!) and don't work anymore, I still have GB/GBC/GBA games I like to play every now and then and half the GBA peripherals don't work with the DS (the largest offenders being the GC-GBA link cable and the GBA wireless adapter). If I did that my DS Lite really would have absolutely nothing going for it anymore.

I use my GBASP for GB and GBC games, but GBA games look much nicer on the DS with its backlit screen. Also I need Pokémon dongles! Pal Park? Can't do that either.

You actually get quite a bit more than simply bigger screens for that £50 you pay but it's difficult to get across the benefits of those features without trying them out for yourself. Meh. :/

Like what? The only real difference between the DSi and the XL is the screen and sound quality, even the battery life is a bit worse. As for the DSi's features, DSiWare has yet to prove its real worth, and I don't see the need of using my DS as a multimedia device when I have plenty of other multimedia devices.

...But the screen is so goooooooood and it makes the DSi look like cheap shit and... and... a-and... ;____;

*emos in a corner clutching his XL*

Compatibility with obscure Pokémon peripherals is a problem, yes. Plus getting the last of my Pokémon off my FireRed was a bitch because of the time lockout. Gngh.

But beyond that this all gets subjective and dependent on how much obscure backwards compatibility you need from your DS. Plus this is way off-topic at this point. :P

(Slightly off-topic) Now that this has been announced I now await for Sonic Rush 3D. Get to it Dimps.

Little BIG Planet 2 revealed

Wait...what?!

*checks out IGN*

....wow. Now THAT came out of nowhere. I could have sworn Mm said they weren't going to do a sequel. Wonder if this has anything to do with the recent acquistion by Sony.

On-Topic: Hopefully, this step gets people to speed it up on making TV's 3D without the need of glasses. I regulary wear normal glasses myself, and that's always been a big turn off for me to need another pair.

Oh yeah, and to add on to my previous worries about Golden Sun, Capcom better not be surprised at all when Okamiden bombs in retail because everyone's too excited about the 3DS to buy DS games anymore.

Poor Okami :( It's not fair.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is a 3D handheld, not a PS3 game packed with flimsy 3D glasses... it's a whole step forward. ;)

So it's the good old 3D feature but (supposedly*) improved upon, less shoddy? Gasp! This definition seems awfully similar to Move/Natal compared to the Wiimote/Eyetoy... I sure hope anyone applying that 'step forward' logic to one doesn't hesitate to use it for the others ;)

Not directed to you mister, I merely enjoy throwing some preventive jabs at fanboys in general ;P

*Supposedly because given Wii and DS I don't see Nintendo trying to push incredibly advanced technologies, so it's a tad too soon to expect this approach to beat what Avatar is doing at cinemas, despite having to rely on glasses.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Oh yeah, and to add on to my previous worries about Golden Sun, Capcom better not be surprised at all when Okamiden bombs in retail because everyone's too excited about the 3DS to buy DS games anymore.

Poor Okami :( It's not fair.

But......the 3DS is Backwards Compatible with DS (and DSi) games.

But......the 3DS is Backwards Compatible with DS (and DSi) games.

Yes I know that, but the 3DS' release will steal thunder and marketing space from upcoming big DS games.

People know there's a new system on the way, why would they continue paying attention to the DS?

Oh, god dammit Nintendo. 3 fuckin' D? Really?

I hope they add a way to turn it off for games that don't require 3D to play. It shouldn't be too hard to do if they're doing it with the parallax barrier tech.

God I hate this 3D gimmick trend almost as much as 3D itself.

So it's the good old 3D feature but (supposedly*) improved upon, less shoddy? Gasp! This definition seems awfully similar to Move/Natal compared to the Wiimote/Eyetoy... I sure hope anyone applying that 'step forward' logic to one doesn't hesitate to use it for the others ;)

Of course I don't hestitate to use the term for the other systems, indeed I am quite happy to see them pushing motion forward too; without their support it would take much longer to advance it beyond "waggle".

Really, I think that 3D is a wonderful direction to take things. If you need glasses or other special equipment then it's not the step forward I want. But if I buy a new games system or TV or anything else and the images appear to be projected off the screen, then what's not to love? This teeny bit of information has me absolutely stoked.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes I know that, but the 3DS' release will steal thunder and marketing space from upcoming big DS games.

Not if games released toward the end of this year on DS have 3DS-exclusive features, like some DS games have with the DSi.

Not if games released toward the end of this year on DS have 3DS-exclusive features, like some DS games have with the DSi.

I don't think that sounds possible if this is an entirely new system. Would they be able to do anything more than what they did with Twilight Princess? (Different releases for old and new platform)

Edited by Blue Blood

I don't think that sounds possible if this is an entirely new system. Would they be able to do anything more than what they did with Twilight Princess? (Different releases for old and new platform)

The GBA uses very different architecture to the Game Boy, but is 100% backwards compatible. The rumours persist that this new machine is based around nVidia's Tecra2 graphics/audio chipset. It will probably use another ARM processor, which will certainly help with the backwards compatibility. My money's on ARM10E, with perhaps an ARM9 to drive the second screen (which will also help with the compatibility).

The GBA uses very different architecture to the Game Boy, but is 100% backwards compatible.

...Because it still had the exact same hardware inside of it that the Game Boy did.

Edited by Tornado

The GBA uses very different architecture to the Game Boy, but is 100% backwards compatible. The rumours persist that this new machine is based around nVidia's Tecra2 graphics/audio chipset. It will probably use another ARM processor, which will certainly help with the backwards compatibility. My money's on ARM10E, with perhaps an ARM9 to drive the second screen (which will also help with the compatibility).

Which means bugger-all to me since I don't understand any of the techno stuff. The GBA may be backward compatible, but no GBC games had any GBA features (right?) unless you count a stretched screen. And no GCN games had any Wii features (right?).

Which means bugger-all to me since I don't understand any of the techno stuff. The GBA may be backward compatible, but no GBC games had any GBA features (right?) unless you count a stretched screen. And no GCN games had any Wii features (right?).

Some GBC games had GBA features, I can personally vouch for that.

One example is the GBC Zeldas.

Some GBC games had GBA features, I can personally vouch for that.

One example is the GBC Zeldas.

Oooh, interesting. How did this work exactly?

Oooh, interesting. How did this work exactly?

The color palette is a bit different (because the GBA screen is ass) and there are some bonus items available.

Edited by Tornado

Yeah, the bonus items were pretty crap tbh, but there was this shop that was locked normally, that opened only when played on a GBA. It was called the "Advance Shop" or something. Everyone in there was like "Omg life Advanced awesome" or something.

Ah cool. It's like Mario Kart DS between a DS original and DSL/DSi, only on a much greater scale. Hmm. Maybe they could incorporate a few specialities on some DS carts, but I don't know if they'd be able to use the 3D.

Of course I don't hestitate to use the term for the other systems

I know, as I specifically stated in my post. Rather than doing a direct reply I was using your wording as a step to reach an inane thought of mine. :3

Ah cool. It's like Mario Kart DS between a DS original and DSL/DSi, only on a much greater scale. Hmm. Maybe they could incorporate a few specialities on some DS carts, but I don't know if they'd be able to use the 3D.

If the 3D effect is performed by the actual system (ie: post-processing through the GPU), it'd be theoretically feasible to play your old DS games with a moderate tridimensional effect.

If not, nothing stops them from adding the necessary code to allow 3DS features. Think of it like Gameboy games that could be played on the original brick but had color info for when inserted on GBC hardware.