Awoo.

Nintendo 3DS

Patticus

I'm very intrigued after reading the announcement earlier today. If it's shown off at this year's E3, then it's going to be a very interesting E3. I'm especially interested about the part of how they're not going to use glasses.

I'm disappointed that 3D really does seem to be the direction the gaming industry is headed - the technology is old, annoying, and sickening. But if Nintendo can really do this sort of effect without the need for the glasses.. I'll give it a try.

Watching that video I just linked would have made my jaw hit the floor, if that were physically possible while sitting. D:

If something like the effect shown in that video can be pulled off, then it be very awesome. The current state of 3D technology today is more gimmicky than anything. Although the only downside I could see with the example being shown in the video is someone moving around and accidentally bumping into someone, although the movement shown in the video looks to be pretty limited.

Failing all this, talk of GC games on DS makes me imagine "Super Mario Sunshine DS", the sequel to "Super Mario 64 DS". Multiple characters! New missions! New mini-levels! Accrelometer Minigames! Incredibly tiny yet strangely fun multiplayer mode! Random insertion of a little level inspired by Mario Galaxy with Mario Galaxy hub music!

A port of Super Mario Sunshine would totally be awesome, yet somehow, I wouldn't be surprise if that did ended up becoming true due to some of the N64 games being port to the DS including Super Mario 64.

If not, nothing stops them from adding the necessary code to allow 3DS features. Think of it like Gameboy games that could be played on the original brick but had color info for when inserted on GBC hardware.

Would it really be that simple? It just sounds like the kind of thing that would only work properly if the game cart was patched or something.

If something like the effect shown in that video can be pulled off, then it be very awesome.

Edit:

Would it really be that simple? It just sounds like the kind of thing that would only work properly if the game cart was patched or something.

Keep in mind I'm talking about unreleased games. You can add extra lines of code in a DS cart that'd only trigger when the game is running on 3DS, since it'd do a hardware check at bootup time.

For already released games, it'd be impossible to patch since the DS lacks an HDD or an alternative to it.

It shouldn't have nothing to do with the actual kind of cart you're using. Carts are merely code holder devices that allow the console to interface with them for reading/writing purposes, what really matters is the code itself and the hardware capabilities.

Edited by Dobkeratops

Something similar to that effect has been done in Kirby's Tilt and Tumble. I'm refering to the 3D effect shown in the 3D Hidden Picture video.

Unless I'm missing something here, they are both using the same principle: faking depth via an approximation of the system's position/angle relative to a reference point. The DS game uses that to move the camera around whereas the iphone thingamajig moves the board.

Thank god 3D technology is finally beginning to ditch the glasses. I already have glasses, so it's just so uncomfortable and impractical to have both on at once.

What I'm concerned about is how the touch screen will work. If the game is going to appear in 3D, wouldn't touching it exactly where you want on a 2D plane be kind of difficult if not... dizzying?

I kind of have to trust Nintendo on this one. They'd be foolish to try 3D again after the Virtual Boy unless they really, really, REALLY thought this through hard.

Wow, call me excited so far! :D The prospect of 3D gaming without the need for 3D glasses certainly is an exciting prospect. I really haven't been intrigued to buy a DSi/DSi XL, but the 3DS is finally something I will invest money in getting. Can't wait to hear/see more info about it!

I must say, I'm intrigued by this. It's about time we had a "proper" new handheld as opposed to just bigger versions of the original DS, and some of these new features are sounding really good. 3D gaming without glasses? Analogue stick? Accelerometer? DS/DSi compatibility? YES PLEASE! ;)

The only thing I'm not too keen on is the name. 3DS? I mean... I get the pun, and I can understand them wanting to use the DS name again, but come on Nintendo. Surely you can do better than that, heck even "DS 3D" sounds a bit better. I've heard it's only a temporary name though so it may yet be changed.

Also, I wonder if DSi compatibility means you can transfer over your downloaded DSiWare games to the new handheld? Otherwise all those Nintendo Points will have been wasted! :o

3DS is a codename. Much like 'Revolution' (Wii) and 'Dolphin' (Gamecube). As for accelerometer, that's the only thing that really irks me at the moment. I've yet to use one that's actually fun rather than annoying.

3DS is a codename. Much like 'Revolution' (Wii) and 'Dolphin' (Gamecube). As for accelerometer, that's the only thing that really irks me at the moment. I've yet to use one that's actually fun rather than annoying.

369876_50664_front.jpg

WarioWare-Twisted-1.jpg

images

That's more opinion than anything else.

Personally, I found Tilt and Tumble annoying to play, and I just didn't like WarioWare: Twisted! all that much. But then again, that's opinion as well.

Much like Blue Blood, I hate to say it, but I haven't found something with an accelerometer that I like to use. 'S frustrating enough on my friend's iPod Touch... when I turn the screen I have trouble seeing what's going on, especially if I'm outside and the sunlight is reflected off of the screen.

Edited by Electrode

Yeah, I still stand by what I said. Being able to 'tilt to play' isn't an awful idea, but tilting the screen is, especially when you tilt it away from your view.

That's stupid. They really ought to introduce a proper account system, like with PSN. Access it online or any of your consoles.

With that said, how long will we have to wait before Nintendo gets with the times and stops doing crap like this?

The next major home console?

According to their last consoles, probably.

With that said, how long will we have to wait before Nintendo gets with the times and stops doing crap like this?

The next major home console?

Probably not knowing Nintendo XD It's as Blue Blood said, Nintendo need to stop being overprotective of the kids and make an account system. Games have legal ratings and there are parenting tools Nintendo could use to keep little Timmy and little Sophie safe on and offline.

Nintendo are going to annoy alot of their customers with issues like this, alot of people will want to trade-in their DSi to upgrade to the 3DS but if they've bought alot of DSiWare games/software and really enjoy them then they won't be able to trade it in because they won't be able to transfer them over to their 3DS. No-one will want to buy their DSiWare games/software twice.

[bashing head on keyboard]rf4t5 vrft 78u56445t gtcr[/bashing head on keyboard]

Look, Nintendo, I don't mind you going casual. Your demographic is your business. But making us spend money on a product TWICE just to play it on another system? That's something I'd expect from Activision, not you. Seriously, can't you just let us transfer them with SD cards?

Well, it's like the PSP Go solved the problem of UMDs being totally ill-designed to be carried around. But, if you want to play any UMD games you bought on a Go then you have to buy them again. It's bollocks.

Your DSiWare games/software will have to be re-bought for play on the 3DS

http://kotaku.com/5503312/nintendos-new-ds-will-still-force-you-to-re+buy-your-digital-games

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this article looks like it's abut the DSiXL.

Wouldn't be too terribly shocked if Nintendo will make you rebuy downloaded games for the 3DS and Wii 2, though.

• Thumbs Up 2

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this article looks like it's abut the DSiXL.

Wouldn't be too terribly shocked if Nintendo will make you rebuy downloaded games for the 3DS and Wii 2, though.

Woops, will teach me not to read the headline and have a quick skim through. Epic fail on my part :blush:

Wouldn't surprise me if this does become the case with the 3DS, if it can't be done when upgrading from a DSi to a DSi XL then it will no doubt be the case with the 3DS.

Wow, I made a REALLY good choice to not buy a DSi :lol:.

Well, Atleast I'll be able to buy Shantae DSi.

You and me both! Shantae was mostly the reason why I was going to cave and buy an XL when it launched here in the US. Kind of a stupid move by Nintendo to announce the 3DS right before the XL launches, but I'm glad they did because now I can skip it and just go straight for the 3DS.