Awoo.

Nintendo 3DS

Patticus

I too skipped the DSi and XL, due primarily to a basic lack of funds more than anything else (minimum wage, other things to buy etc), but I'm not sure I'll be going for the 3DS right away. You see, I got the original DS Phat on launch day and thereafter spent several really frustrating weeks returning to the store, returning dead pixel-infected model after dead pixel-infected model - and when I got a good one I was then without (m)any great games for the first 18 months or so of the machine's lifespan (although that situation has improved drastically since then and I am more than happy with the platform's library as it stands today).

I do not wish to repeat the early days' experience, however, so this time, provided I can be strong enough to resist temptation, I will wait until reliable batches have come to the fore, and until it has a library of 5+ games that I personally want badly. And even then I won't be throwing my DS Lite away, though I might buy a new one at some point as this one's hinge is going.

This is my stance.

Gahh I really hope we don't have to re-purchase all of our DSiWare games... not that I've got that many, but because I don't really want to pay for everything twice. Besides, all of my progress on games like MvsDK3 and Rayman will be lost if I have to start over! No fair.

I agree with everyone else, get with the times Nintendo and implement an Xbox Live-esque online system. I want usernames, not friend codes! :(

Friend codes should be maintained as the default option, but a DNS-style name resolution system (associating friend codes with specific usernames) could quite easily be added as an option for everybody else without ruining the whole family-friendly (which evidently isn't the same as user-friendly) thing they've got going on.

It's about time they make a new handheld console. I'm sick of them making over 1,000 new DS models that we don't even need.

Also, I hope they have a new online system. One where you can add people to your friends list by typing in their username, instead of having to find a 12-digit number online.

It's about time they make a new handheld console. I'm sick of them making over 1,000 new DS models that we don't even need.

Because the 3DS design and capabilities won't be revised 2 or 3 times during its life cycle, will they? ;)

I have no issues with Friend Codes at the level that Guitar Hero 5/Band Hero uses them i.e. Wii Address Book codes with no individual game codes. I think one code you type in ONCE for all games is fine however, one for the system and one for the game isn't very user friendly.

In terms of the 3DS, consider me interested.

So... When's the next Game Boy coming out?

Never. Considering almost half of Nintendo's audience is now women, Nintendo would have to be foolish to use an "alienating" brandname like that.

Ridiculous lawsuits for sexism everywhere!

• Thumbs Up 2

Never. Considering almost half of Nintendo's audience is now women, Nintendo would have to be foolish to use an "alienating" brandname like that.

Ridiculous lawsuits for sexism everywhere!

Fine, then; when's the next Game Androgynous Life Form coming out?

• Thumbs Up 1

Fine, then; when's the next Game Androgynous Life Form coming out?

I don't see a reason for one. The DS is better, and a Game AndrogynousLifeForm would just be another PSP.

It would be really silly for Nintendo to go back to the name "Gameboy". Regardless of gender alienation, it alienates the fanbase that's been brought in since the DS was released. They'll likely know the Gameboy name as something that they didn't like or didn't understand from a few year ago, whereas DS actually does appeal to a very wide crowd.

If the name 3DS doesn't hold through to be the final title, I'm sure that DS will remain. To pull something out of my ass here, "DS Vision". Or at least something that's very much like DS.

Kombo have the first pic of the handheld and how it will display your games -

3ds.jpg

http://ds.kombo.com/....php?artid=7952

I had to lol at that, I wonder if games will be like that though but obviously not so pixelated laugh.gif

This makes me want "Dejarik 3DS or how to get your arms ripped off by a Wookiee" :o.

Anyway 3D? Thats pretty cool and that video shown of that DSi game was just awesome! Playing that would make feel lik les of an idiot when I crane my head in real life to see whats happening at the side of the screen in games xD.

Some games I want for the 3DS:

-Monkey Ball

-Kirby's Tilt 'n' Tumble 2 (I've been waiting for you since you were announced for the Gamecube >=( )

- Metroid FPS (I still want a 2D one more, but I wanna see the HUD in 3D xD)

I can't think of more, but I think the 3DS will bring some cool games (I was only listing things that would use the 3D and Accellerator[ or whatever its called] stuff).

*It's all quiet in the topic...and THEN....*

!!!!

This just in, Sharp's manufacturing Ninty's 3DS screens!!!

Link!

Sharp unveils new LCD technology to be used in Nintendo 3DS

100402.gif

A couple of weeks ago, Nintendo made a surprise announcement: the successor to their popular DS handheld would be called the 3DS and use an innovative new technique to display 3D touchscreen graphics without any glasses.

At the time, there was a lot of confusion about how Nintendo might go about doing this, since 3D and touchscreen technology doesn’t mix.

Or, at least, it didn’t until now, but Sharp has just announced their new displays. They are DS sized, small at 3.4 inches, double the resolution up to 480 x 854 as well as the brightness, and offer ten times the contrast ratio of previous 3D screens… all the while allowing switching between 2D and 3D on the fly!

According to the press release:

Sharp Corporation has developed a 3D touchscreen LCD featuring the industry’s highest brightness that can switch between 2D and 3D modes. Users can view 3D images without the need to wear special glasses, making this LCD ideal for mobile devices such as digital cameras, mobile phones, and smartphones.

The newly developed 3D LCD uses a parallax barrier system to display 3D images. This parallax barrier, which has a series of vertical slits, is incorporated into an ordinary LCD to control the path of light reaching the right and left eyes, thus creating a sense of depth. However, the conventional 3D LCD with this system had difficulty in displaying high-quality images in 3D mode.

This is very exciting, and bodes great things for Nintendo’s next handheld. The 3DS is starting to look less like a gimmick than a real successor!

Read more at Sharp World

Also, 3DS "Leaked"Pictures have been found, though they're probably not real...nice concept though...and not only that, but the screen on the thing looks similar to the one Sharp's developing:

http://www.walyou.com/blog/2010/04/06/is-this-the-new-nintendo-3ds-handheld/

Is this the New Nintendo 3DS Handheld?

It was exciting news to hear that Nintendo are working on a new Nintendo 3DS, but are this newly released photos the real thing or an amazingly well made mock-up?

nintendo-3ds-images.jpg

3ds-images-leaked-2.jpg

leaked-nintendo-3ds-images-3.jpg

3dsmockup4.jpg

The newly supposedly leaked photos aka hyped rumor show a brand new design with some bells and whistles as we could expect from the likes of Nintendo. It first begins by getting us to think Nintendo changed their way with only one large screen, but then realize that the screen allows for two smaller screens to be present, so Nintendo DS and DSi games could still be compatible and playable. The new Nintendo 3DS continue to show off with its supposed ability to scan images, take photos, present 3D images on background and more.

leaked-nintendo-3ds-images.jpg

leaked-images-of-nintendo-3ds-4.jpg

leaked-nintendo-3ds-images-1.jpg

Overall, we can only go by the site’s word as saying this is truly the real thing that will be seen at E3 in a few months. I don’t know about you, but if besides the cool features, the upcoming Nintendo DS will look like this…then we have a heck of a handheld console to look forward to. If only the PSP could learn a thing or two…but then again, since this is not an official Nintendo announcement, they may need to learn a few things as well from this rumor.

leaked-images-of-nintendo-3ds.jpg

3ds-images-leaked.jpg

nintendo-3ds-images-leaked.jpg

Edited by Ferno

That thing looks very confusing to use. What position to you have the screen by default? Will it prompt you if it wants you to spin it about? It looks nice enough but is it Nintendo?

Hmm...

Looks horribly uncomfortable. I really liked it at first, but it doesn't look like something Nintendo would make.

Definitely fake imo.

It looks as if it would be heavy as shit, especially holding it in the vertical position.

And no screen protection FTL. This better not be it...

I don't see a reason for one. The DS is better, and a Game AndrogynousLifeForm would just be another PSP.

By those standards, the Xbox, Xbox 360, GameCube, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3 and Dreamcast could all be individually classified as "just another Saturn", as they are all game consoles that run optical media and primarily use conventional joypad-based control methods - you have to draw the line somewhere.

The point is not to be deliberately different to the PSP; the point is to do everything that the PSP did, but better - that's what a new Game Boy would try to achieve.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Yeah, it doesn't look especially comfy to hold. I do rather like the idea of splitting up the screen to play DS games, but my god that thing looks like it weighs a ton. It's still pretty, though, especially if it's a fake.

The point is not to be deliberately different to the PSP; the point is to do everything that the PSP did, but better - that's what a new Game Boy would try to achieve.

And also what the PSP2 would try to achieve, lol.

You should know that Nintendo purposefully try to be as different as possible nowadays.

And I'll say it again, what's the point is making a new GB-alike when the DS is superior in every way?

Clearly fake.

Check out the anti-aliasing around the screen on this pic:

leaked-images-of-nintendo-3ds.jpg

It's very jagged.

And on most of the other images, there's conflicting light sources. Notice how the entire system contrasts in design with Nintendo's new approach? This one doesn't have that clean and sparkly appeal, instead opting for grey (instead of silver or white) buttons. And there's all those ridges and whatnot. No, it almost looks like it's modelled after the Gameboy. It instantly feels like a successor to the GBA, as though the SP and Micro never existed.

FAKE

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 3

Yeah, it looks really dodgy to me.

For a start, just look at it displaying two screens at once- they're practically square, hardly the proper aspect ratio for DS screens.

Completely fake. Nintendo would NOT make a control pad like that. Top heavy much? It would break if you held it!