Awoo.

Why is Sonic 3 & Knuckles so awesome?

Chaos Rush

I think most fans will tell you that their ideal 3D Sonic would be Unleashed without the Werehog, and I certainly hope this isn't the last we see of that game engine.

One of my largest complaints about Sonic 4. They came so close to having a perfect Sonic 3D game, and they decide to run the complete opposite direction.

Whatever is left of Sonic Team, whoever you are, just know: You're missing the point entirely.

• Bad Quality Post 2

One of my largest complaints about Sonic 4. They came so close to having a perfect Sonic 3D game, and they decide to run the complete opposite direction.

Whatever is left of Sonic Team, whoever you are, just know: You're missing the point entirely.

But Sonic 4 isn't the next "mainstream" title like 06 or Unleashed. It's more like an Advance/Rush game being put on home console. Since it's the only upcoming Sonic title and E3 just few months away I expect a 3D title to be announced by then. Considering the whole "Sonic revival" scheme Sega has going and the 20th anniversary next year I wouldn't be surprised if it actually is Shadow TH 2 SA3.

But Sonic 4 isn't the next "mainstream" title like 06 or Unleashed. It's more like an Advance/Rush game being put on home console. Since it's the only upcoming Sonic title and E3 just few months away I expect a 3D title to be announced by then. Considering the whole "Sonic revival" scheme Sega has going and the 20th anniversary next year I wouldn't be surprised if it actually is Shadow TH 2 SA3.

Sonic 4 is just as mainstream as Unleashed is. I mean, seriously, saying Sonic 4 isn't mainstream is like saying Sonic 3 & Knuckles isn't mainstream.

Compare that with now; games such as Sonic Unleashed, Sega literally handed the game to a bunch of no-names and just crossed their fingers. Sure the day-time stages came out good, but it was panned by reviews (surprise surprise).

I think Sonic Unleashed is horrible. I'm sure the PS3/360 version is awesome, but I'm stuck with a Nintendo Wii, and of course most multi-platform games have a sucky-ass Wii version. I swear, if Dimps screws over another 3D multiplatform for the Wii, I'm getting an Xbox 360.

But nonetheless, playing Sonic 3 & Knuckles on Mega Collection makes me feel better :D. I have never gotten tired of S3&K.

Edited by Chaos Rush
  • Thumbs Up 1

Nice to hear somebody who thinks like me, but I think Sonic 4 will be a nice downloadable 'side-project', it seems they're continuing the 3D series as well. But yeah, it's a shame, the negative reviews are (mostly) due to the Werehog (one or two didn't like Sonic's sections either though), but Sonic 4 gives me the impression that they thought Sonic in 3D just gets bad reviews either way. Sometimes I think the game deserves to have two ratings, one for each type of gameplay. Personally I love the Werehog, but I would totally trade him in for more Sonic levels if I had the choice.

Edited by DistantJ

Nice to hear somebody who thinks like me, but I think Sonic 4 will be a nice downloadable 'side-project'

But that's why this game is looking to be such an insult, you don't make the continuation to one of the most loved platforming games of all time a "side project".

If Sega really wanted to make a continuation worthy of it's predecessors, it would've brought back big names, spent more time on production (because I'm going to be honest, graphically this game isn't very impressive, and isn't going to be wowing any critics), and really gotten their A-team.

What we seem to be getting in the "B-Team" throwing together a quick reminder of how Sega is treating Sonic as nothing more than what he is these days: A cash cow.

Yes, I can't judge this game, I haven't even played it! But here's the deal, when Super Mario Galaxy was announced, jaws dropped excitement began, and at no point did it diminish.

Look what we have with Sonic 4, a load of clingy fans (myself being one of them, sadly), trying to convince their peers that "maybe it'll be good?". Are we being cautious? Perhaps, Sega has treated this franchise like shit over the past decade. Or perhaps we're all just coming to realize there's little hope left in this once glorious series, especially if it keeps getting the treatment it's been getting.

/rant

Edited by Roorii

But that's why this game is looking to be such an insult, you don't make the continuation to one of the most loved platforming games of all time a "side project".

No one ever said it was a side project. Just because it's a downloadable title doesn't mean it's just a minor game, case in point, Mega Man 9 and 10.

If Sega really wanted to make a continuation worthy of it's predecessors, it would've brought back big names,

Those people left the team a long time ago.

spent more time on production (because I'm going to be honest, graphically this game isn't very impressive, and isn't going to be wowing any critics),

It's only 4 stages, a 1 year production time is a pretty long time for a short game.

and really gotten their A-team.

They don't have an "A-team" anymore.

What we seem to be getting in the "B-Team" throwing together a quick reminder of how Sega is treating Sonic as nothing more than what he is these days: A cash cow.

They're taking the time out of making Clash of the Hedgehogs or what have you to make a game that fans have been bitching Sega to make since Sonic went 3D.

Of course! Now we know who can save Sonic!

the-a-team.jpg

Yes, I can't judge this game, I haven't even played it! But here's the deal, when Super Mario Galaxy was announced, jaws dropped excitement began, and at no point did it diminish.

Mario Galaxy has to sell systems... Sonic is a 3rd party title now. And Sonic Unleashed is the one you want to compare to that. If anything, compare Sonic 4 to New Super Mario Bros.

I really did like Sonic 3&K. Its game play was fun, Music was good for its time, and the story was pretty original. (Well for the time.) Though to be fair, my favorite on the genesis was Sonic 2. Tails first appearance was pretty cool for the time, and for other good reasons.

Back to Sonic3&K, I did own sonic and knuckles collection so thats how I got to play it as a kid. Sure, I didn't get the orginial music but I really didn't know at the time. Plus, the length of the game as a whole was pretty cool. The getting chaos emeralds then getting those so big yet powerful super emeralds makes you wonder now, "Where are they now? " and "Why don't they appear in the recent sonic games?" One of my favorite levels from this game would have to be mushroom hill. Dunno why, but I loved it as a kid. Jumping on the mushrooms like no tomorrow just for fun and games.

So yeah, I can see why most people put this game as there #1.

• 1 month later...

It's not really that great in my opinion. It's just over-hyped by fanboys. I personall believe Sonic 2 is the greatest 2D sonic game. But that's all a matter of opinion anyway. :blush:

BTW I'm doing a playthrough (LP) of Sonic 2 check out this first part! ^.=.^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsKulin20Gw

Edited by GaryII

It's not really that great in my opinion. It's just over-hyped by fanboys. I personall believe Sonic 2 is the greatest 2D sonic game. But that's all a matter of opinion anyway. :blush:

BTW I'm doing a playthrough (LP) of Sonic 2 check out this first part! ^.=.^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsKulin20Gw

IMO sonic 2 was the weakest of the classics on genesis but still EXTREMELY good! If you don't like S3&K then idk thats kind of confusing to me.I used to beat that game everyday when I was in elementary school till I went to middle school. No lie I estimate about 300-350 playthroughs of that game its really good! Sonic i prob beat 100 times lol last boss is too epic!

Edited by AlexM305

Guest Jordan-4K6

I like it but I don't love it, sure it's great but I think it's far too overrated imo. I play it about once a year for a few minutes :3

Edited by Jordan-4K6

Sonic 3 and Knuckles manages to multiply the size and scope of the first two titles by several numbers, while adding some new abilities and a more involved storyline, back before fans didn't appreciate that sort of thing. Also, Knuckles was a welcome addition to the series, and being able to replay the game as any of the three characters with a slightly different experience lends the title of one of the greatest 2D platformers of all time to this very title.

This is also Jun Senoue's first stab at a Sonic game's soundtrack, if I'm not mistaken, and I'm fairly certain his fresh ideas were a saving grace to the music with Masato Nakamura off the team for this outing. Also, the Michael Jackson-inspired tracks helped the soundtrack as well. There were plenty of special and bonus levels to entertain yourself with, and this is all carried along with the original and hard-to-top Sonic formula.

Let's put it this way, whereas Sonic 1 and 2 were adventures, Sonic 3 and Knuckles was an entire epic. A chronology of two fantastic Sonic games morphed together to complete and create arguably the greatest experience that the SEGA Genesis/MegaDrive has ever offered.

• Thumbs Up 1

Pretty sure he only did the track for the special stage... or maybe it was the bonus stages. He wasn't too specific, but he didn't do any of the level themes.

Pretty sure he only did the track for the special stage... or maybe it was the bonus stages. He wasn't too specific, but he didn't do any of the level themes.

Then I'm mistaken...

didn't Howard Drossin do the rest, then? I'm too lazy to look it up.

Nobody knows for certain who composed the soundtrack to Sonic & Knuckles. When shown the music for Lava Reef, for example, Drossin didn't recognize the tune.

Senoue probably only did the special and bonus stages.

• 2 weeks later...

This game was AWESOME for multiple reasons. For starters, I thought that the re-designed sonic sprite was great. Also, the music was just incredible (flying battery, and doomsday being my top favorites for their all around awesomeness). Also, I liked the transitions and cutscenes because it actually gave the game a story rather than just playing through the whole game wondering what you were doing until you picked up the game manual and saw the story there. In all, this game (technically 2 games) was great.

Edit: Element shields = EPIC WIN

Edited by Scarletdark

Sonic 3 plus Knuckles was special to me because I could hook up that Game Genie and create a nice little tower of cartridges sticking out of my Sega Genesis.

I think it's because of the games save feature, and the cutscenes that played in between zones, and the games great story, characters, and soundtrack, and then there is the boss fights were probably the hardest out of all the MegaDrive games, plus the level designs, which were more complex and fun to play through, then theres all the great shields, plus the legendary 'Barrel of Doom'(I WAS STUCK ON YOU FROM ABOUT 1998(When I was 4) UNTIL 2007 ASSHOLE). The game has so many memorable, and one not so memorable, moments that it is a very fun game to play, and it stays in your heart forever.

• 1 month later...

Yea s3&K was my fav. Sonic game. I still play it all the time on my laptop using the Fusion emulator. Also I made some vids on youtube showing some gliches which i found. It always made me laugh seeing a blue knuckles on the game. If you want to see the vids just look up my channel its aceseawulf891

Also I miss hyper knuckles, Hyper sonic, and super tails. and the super chaos emeralds. Why can't they bring that back? I hope they bring the super emeralds back for Sonic 4 that would be a dream come true.

• 6 years later...

SONIC 3 AND KNUCKLES IS MY ALL-TIME FAVORITE SONIC GAME AND I HIGHLY DOUBT THAT ANY SONIC GAME WILL EVER GO TO THAT QUALITY EVER AGAIN! Sonic 3 and knuckles has the perfect balance of fast speed and platforming and it has amazing music.Mushroom hill zone,angel island zone, ICE CAP ZONE! HYDROCITY ZONE! YES!!!!!!!!!!

On 3/12/2010 at 5:20 PM, Chaos Rush said:

Recently, I haven't played Sonic at all. Then one day I decided to boot up Sonic Mega Collection, and I chose to play Sonic 3 & Knuckles. As soon as I started playing, I started remembering how awesome that game is. I pre-ordered Sonic Classic Collection, and the only game I play on it is Sonic 3 & Knuckles. I can't even explain how awesome the game is, it's just too awesome for words to comprehend. The only thing I don't like about the game is the title screen saying, "& KNUCKLES". I wish with the whole lock-on thing, they just put, "SONIC 3: Complete Version". I was a member of the old SSMB, and after playing S3&K, I'm suddenly obsessed with it, and that's what got me to re-join.

Does anyone else besides me think that the full version of Sonic 3 (AKA Sonic 3 & Knuckles) is the best Sonic game of all time? I still don't know why I think it's really awesome.