Awoo.

Sonic 2006 Next Gen or Sonic Unleashed

Mars

Most people tend to prefer Sonic Unleashed over Sonic Next Gen '06, but uh, GAH! I don't know. I'm still torn over what I want. Oh well. So I hear that Sonic Next Gen '06 have many glitches. So I hear the warehog levels are hard to control in Sonic Unleashed...or at least that's what I get from this topic.

I like a challenge. I suppose I will simplify the question then.

What game is longer/more challenging?

Keep the replies going.

Werehog is not hard to control at all. He handles better than Sonic himself honestly (Sonic's okay too though, don't worry).

And yes, Sonic '06 is a glitch fest. I had the PS3 version myself, and could hardly play a level without glitching because I barely touched a wall, getting stuck climbing a wall, or just glitching through the floor/loop for no reason.

You like challenge? Definitely go for Unleashed. It gets pretty tough after Spangonia, and Eggmanland was practically hard. People here will say it's all fake difficulty rather than a real challenge, but I didn't mind it myself so I doubt you will.

The only challenge Sonic '06 offers is fighting the camera and controls.

As for which game is longer, it's probably Sonic '06 because of the ridiculous load times. Not to mention the mind-numbing Hub world missions and the amount of times you'll die when it's not your fault. Without out them, it's a hard call. Probably Unleashed though, as Eggmanland might take you hours.

Edited by Tentomon

I personally feel that Sonic '06 could have been VASTLY improved by allowing less time for the development of in-game content and more time for bug-fixing; if they'd have taken out the Town Stages, Town Missions, easier difficulty setting, DLC, overly elongated cutscenes, pointless boss fights (save for a few) and elaborate scenery design, and they could potentially have made a completely glitchless (albeit short) masterpiece...

Oh well; one can dream, right?

• Thumbs Up 1

Not to mention the mind-numbing Hub world missions and the amount of times you'll die when it's not your fault.

Are you serious? Sonic Unleashed is the king of unfair deaths. My favorites are when I press "X" to use the Homing Attack, and Sonic simply ignores my commands. Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) had LOTS of annoying problems, but despite how broken it was, something as major as the Homing Attack not activating almost makes Unleashed worse. The only mechanic that flat-out worked better in Unleashed was the Light Speed Dash, thanks to the wisely remapped controls. If Sonic 2006 had mapped the ability to "Y," then half of the unfair deaths in the game would've been prevented.

Unleashed. Absolutely no contest. You could either own a piece of incomplete shit with an incoherent plot and little to nothing to do with its title, or a pretty decent game with Sonic at both his fastest and slowest.

Though which VERSION you buy depends on opinion. The 360 version has more content... and more filler. Such as in-level medal collecting (which slows the game down later on when you need a lot of medals to progress), Tornado QTE levels, fully interactive towns, etc. The Wii version cuts all this out, but replaces it with more Werehog levels. The daytime levels also control much stiffer.

Are you serious? Sonic Unleashed is the king of unfair deaths. My favorites are when I press "X" to use the Homing Attack, and Sonic simply ignores my commands. Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) had LOTS of annoying problems, but despite how broken it was, something as major as the Homing Attack not activating almost makes Unleashed worse.

Can't say I know what you're talking about at all. Unleashed had one of the better Homing Attack setups because you don't have to guess whether you're close enough for it to work. You sure that you just weren't trying to use the Homing Attack before the target mark appeared? The HA activates everytime with the marker present, but Sonic will Air Boost if you're not within each.

And while Unleashed may not be the fairest game, but there is no way that it's worse than Sonic '06 in any regard. The glitches alone are worst than anything unfair in Unleashed. Then there's the uncoroperative camera making it a pain to even see the bosses, and controls (or lack thereof) that garanutee your demise in the Mach Speed Stages...yeesh.

• Thumbs Up 1

Are you serious? Sonic Unleashed is the king of unfair deaths. My favorites are when I press "X" to use the Homing Attack, and Sonic simply ignores my commands. Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) had LOTS of annoying problems, but despite how broken it was, something as major as the Homing Attack not activating almost makes Unleashed worse. The only mechanic that flat-out worked better in Unleashed was the Light Speed Dash, thanks to the wisely remapped controls. If Sonic 2006 had mapped the ability to "Y," then half of the unfair deaths in the game would've been prevented.

Unleashed is comprehensively unfair, but I never had any of my deaths be as a result of the homing attack not working when it was supposed to...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Noticing a lot of replies here. While I don't want to offer the final word on this discussion (I think it would take the fun out of the thread if someone just immediately offered up a final answer), I'm going to make a suggestion.

Here is what logic I will use to make this suggestion: OP is a 23 year old girl posting on a message board.

Here is the suggestion: use the money you'd spend on either of these very bad video games and put it towards buying yourself a nice jacket! Spring's already here, so the timing couldn't be better. Already got yourself a jacket? Why not purchase a cute little accessory piece? Something that'll grab people's attention, helping you climb up the socio-economic ladder of whatever modern Western liberal capitalist society you're probably posting from.

Hope this helps.

• Bad Quality Post 6

Noticing a lot of replies here. While I don't want to offer the final word on this discussion (I think it would take the fun out of the thread if someone just immediately offered up a final answer), I'm going to make a suggestion.

Here is what logic I will use to make this suggestion: OP is a 23 year old girl posting on a message board.

Here is the suggestion: use the money you'd spend on either of these very bad video games and put it towards buying yourself a nice jacket! Spring's already here, so the timing couldn't be better. Already got yourself a jacket? Why not purchase a cute little accessory piece? Something that'll grab people's attention, helping you climb up the socio-economic ladder of whatever modern Western liberal capitalist society you're probably posting from.

Hope this helps.

Er, what exactly was this about again?

Before attempting to interpret any more of that, this is a Sonic the Hedgehog subsection on a Sonic the Hedgehog message board. Other interests or age does not matter within this section. Your post can be viewed upon as rude due to its nature, also not really contributing to the topic with a meaning either. She asked about games, hence jackets and whatnot shall not be discussed, 'tis somewhat spammy.

If you do not enjoy Sonic the Hedgehog-based discussion, move out of the Sonic the Hedgehog forums and into other sections, for instance Computer Games or Chit-Chat. =3

Carry on now, y'all.

• Thumbs Up 1

While the Xbox 360 version of Sonic '06 was exceptionally fun to play (aside from a few minor bugs and glitches), the PlayStation iteration was filled with slowdown, pumped with pop-up, plagued with nigh-on-unbearable loading times and cursed by controls that were comparable to a wet eel on a hot day; all of these horrible factors bonded together to transform a once-wonderful diamond-in-the-rough into a slippery mesh of faults, blemishes and faux pas.

Yes we all know that you hate Sony and the PS3, but that aside do you think you could come up with a better attempt to slag it off when you know perfectly well that the Xbox 360 version has just as many problems as the PS3 version? Actually, why even attempt to spin it, you know perfectly well that the Xbox 360 version of Sonic 06 HAS THE SAME load times and problems as the PS3 version.

The only difference is that some of the 360 load times can be improved by an entire 2 seconds if you install it to the console.... a feature that came months after the game came out. So pull the other one with that PS3 version is worse because they're both the same.

-----

To the OP.

You want to know which game to get? Doesn't matter, you can get one or the other and it won't make any difference, you could play either of them in any order and you'll still get the story.

Quality issues are different, Sonic Unleashed is an improvement in every area over Sonic 06. I'd go as far to say that the only real problem that Unleashed has if you're just looking for a game to play is that the early stages with the werehog are dreadful, you really do need to level him up a lot to get the most out of him.

Sonic 06 does have some great moments, the problem is that these moments are surrounded by very big technical flaws, the warp zones control scheme for instance and the loading times. Even in the early days of the new consoles this was not acceptable, now that we're a few years into these consoles, totally unforgivable.

Sonic Unleashed is a vastly harder game to complete, whilst Sonic 06's final zone is hard, Sonic Unleashed is a completely different level of difficulty and it begins early on. The early werehog stages are hard if only for how rubbish he is before you max out his stats. But even with Max Stats, the last two Sonic zones will present you with a tough challenge. If you plan on going for the Platinum (as you own a PS3), then Unleashed has trophies, but it's a VERY hard platinum to get, even if you use a trophy guide.

So... what game to get? Me personally, Sonic Unleashed. But once you've heard all the arguments. It really doesn't matter. Sonic Unleashed is better, but both are quite cheap right now anyway, especially Sonic 06 as it's a non trophy PS3 game and a poor one at that. But both if you tell people you've played Sonic Unleashed, chances are they'll tell you it's shit, because we're not really allowed to admit that we like Sonic Unleashed for some reason.

Edited by Casanova
  • Thumbs Up 2

Guest Jordan4K6

Alright.... I just traded in my 360 and Wii for a PS3 and I have both titles for my PS3.

My little comparison:

Sonic Unleashed is just wow on the PS3 compared to the 360 version due to it's awesome frame rate and graphics.

Sonic 06 on the PS3 has more slow down than the 360 version but it has better graphics and is less glitchy than the 360 version.

Overall: If you want to play a title similar to Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 then get Sonic 06, but if you want a game similar to Sonic Rush then get Sonic Unleashed.

But eventually I bet you will get both....

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

...because we're not really allowed to admit that we like Sonic Unleashed for some reason.

Hey, I don't give a damn. I'll stand up and say that I adore Sonic Unleashed.

I adore Sonic the Hedgehog too. And I'm not referring to the original 1991 game of the same title, either.

• Thumbs Up 1

Er, what exactly was this about again?

It was just a suggestion. I don't feel suggestions constitute spam, I was merely trying to add another voice to the discussion by considering it in a different context. I apologize if the scope of awareness is meant to be more limited than that here.

For the record, Sonic the Hedgehog video games are my absolute FAVORITE video games.

Yes we all know that you hate Sony and the PS3,

I don't hate the PS3, - on the contrary, I think it's a rather good (albeit bulky and expensive) console, in terms of the 7th Generation at least; hell, it's a damn site better than the Wii - I just think that SEGA shouldn't have been so lazy when porting Sonic '06 to it; despite the extra development time, they came up with an inferior version of an already buggy game, and I personally find that highly disappointing and slightly unacceptable.

And for the record, I don't hate Sony themselves, either...

Mah_Awesome_PSOne_by_Extaticus.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Unleashed.

I'm not going to waste time explaining. '06 is shit, that's all you need to know.

It varies, if you can get past the loading screen and a few bad glitches(At least for me, I only ran into 2 throughout my whole play of the game), then I say it is a pretty decent game, not the worst game out there.

Sonic Unleashed on the other hand IMO, is way better, plus DLC levels. It's an all around great game that any Sonic fan should buy. Sonic Unleashed may be trial and error, but you only struggle at the start. People say it's unfair, but I think that once you get the whole level sketched into your brain, you can pass it with ease while blasting through at High Speeds. Also, if you like Beat em-ups, this is the game for you!

If you have the money, just get both games, they are both pretty cheap now. They are both worth a try and if you are still not sure after all these posts, go out and rent both of them if you have a rental store nearby.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic the hedgehog 2006 for sure.

Sonic Unleashed is pure crap, IMO. I know that '06 cops alot of crap, and whilst it is infuriating at times, I still managed to enjoy what was there - it was sub-par but bareable, had SOME cool gameplay bits and SOME cool story plots and the CGI scenes were pretty cool. Pretty much if you can put up with ridiculous load time screens and are not really bothered in completing all the town missions, a creepy realistic looking Eggman, and don't mind a little severly overhyped Sonic and human girl action (nothing wrong with that) then you may enjoy this game.

Highlights for me was Silver's gameplay, the mach speed zones, seeing a different side of Sonic (ie: him and Elise), and the cool CGI cutscenes.

Sonic Unleashed...ew.just ew.

Chip was annoying as hell, the humans were everywhere and had a crappy cartonnish pixar style, the levels were boring and too realistic, the werehog was a stupid idea and its levels played like crap and way way too long, the levels had cheap fake difficulty, chip was annoying as hell, did I mention chip was annoying as hell? Chip stole Tails' role, the game felt nothing like a Sonic game - I just plain hated this game.

I am way biased but I will say go for '06; at least that is somewhat enjoyable.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 3