Awoo.

Kung Fu Rider! (PS3)

Badnik Mechanic

The PS3 is getting a new exclusive title called "Slider" and it's awesome.

Why is it awesome? Well it's made by a Japanese studio and it has all the foundations for an awesome game. You play as a simple office worker named Tobio (a straight-laced, tie-wearing nerd) or Karin (a lady), who owes the Yakuza money and has to attempt to escape them through a series of levels.

Slider_1_1268679406_640w.jpg

Each stage has you racing through the streets of Tokyo attempting to evade the Yakuza and dodging cars, pedestrians and various other obsticles. You can jump, perform mid air tricks, kick away objects and limbo under blockades. Along each stage you have to collect various money in order to pay off your debt to the Yakuza.

Sounds great huh? So what do you drive? A car? A motorbike? A skateboard? Well no... two different types of transportation confirmed so far.

* An office chair.

* The barrel part of a Shop-Vac.

So as you travel through each... .... ... What was that? ... .... .............0_0 Yes thats right, an office chair is your mode of escape. You have to use the motion sticks (yes it's motion control) to propell you through the streets of Japan and dodge objects whilst you collect money and various other power ups.

downtown01580.jpg

To make the chair go faster, your character seems to hump the chair in order to make it.... .... yes he humps the chair (see the video). You can crash and go flying off your chair if you hit an object at high speed. It's been described as a bit of a mix between crazy taxi and tony hawk.... theres something I didn't think we'd hear.

Slider_2_1268679386_640w.jpg

So... I don't know about you, but my finger is itching to press the pre-order button already.

GDC 2010 footage of the game in action

Edited by Gnasher

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Badnik Mechanic

• SykoTech

• Velotix von Skruviktorrius

• gim_gam

If this was cheap and had a nice amount of modes, I would definitely buy it.

Crazy Japanese games are awesome, especially when they're actually good.

Holy crap, WANT.

I'm being tempted to buy the motion controls for the PS3 now.. :P Yes, I don't own a PS3 (my brother does), but I'll be using his if it means I could play this.

The absurd concept looks like something out of Incredible Crisis. Anyone played that on the PS1?

I wasn't sold until I watched the video.

Then I realised that this is ridiculously awesome and I want a copy.

Then I realised I don't have a PS3. :(

How long has it been since we had a game with a completely implausible premise that worked anyway just because it was awesome to play? If this is a sign of a revival of that era, count me in.

Has a very arcade-y feel, almost like Crazy Taxi. Pretty cool.

Don't think I'd get a Move for it, but it's something I'd look into if I ever got one.

• 4 months later...

MASSIVE UPDATE!

Slider is now called... KUNG FU RIDER!

255px-Kung_Fu_Rider.png

It has it's own theme song!

A new trailer shows us the girl character in action (wearing a blue... thing) theres now enemies on the courses, you have to perform Kung-Fu moves to take them out, or dodge their attacks. Lots more escape vehicles too.

Looks like that you can now not only race on the streets, but it's possible to grind on telephone wires. This.... is probably one of the most fun looking games I've seen for a long time, I can't stop humming the Kung Fu Rider song. Go pre-order it you maniacs!

Hmm i'm still not sold on this one. I'd possibly consider buying it if it wasn't being priced at £35.

I love the concept of the move, even if it is basically the same as the wii 'mote (only better) but i'm yet to hear of a game in the pipeline that has made me shout "YES! I most buy the move, just for this game!" Don't get me wrong i'll probably buy the move regardless, money tends to burn a hole in my pocket

Edited by gim_gam

Wow this game looks really.....insanely awesome this will be one of the many games I will have to buy when I get my PS3 in november without a doubt it looks totally crazy ...which is my type of game XD. also looking forward to seeing full gameplay playthroughs when the game is released

damn that theme song is awesome :D

It looks like a crazy awesome mix of PSN's PAIN and Jet Set Radio maybe?

Regardless it actually looks quite fun. Perhaps a reason to bother picking up a PlayStation Move.