Awoo.

Hedgehogs have super-powers

Teoleulbogo

So, I was playing '06 and asking myself why silver is able to do Chaos-control, which alwayse confused me, and I came up with this theory: The Hedgehog species seems to have a conection to Chaos energy. It would explain alot of things like how all hedgehogs seem to have super-powers(Sonic's super-speed, Silver's psychic powers, and Amy can summon hammers, as well as turn invisible in '06). It would also explain why Gerald decided to create Shadow in the image of a Hedgehog, and it explains how practicaly all hedgehogs can use Chaos Control, or go Super. If Sega were to use this idea it could lead to alot of different plots for games, like investigating the secrets of Sonic's past and species, or having Amy get a super form. So what do you all think?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The-Master-Board

• Diogenes

• Flyboy Fox

• Teoleulbogo

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah. Other species have also been shown to have 'powers'. It seems pretty random, really. And the echidnas, if any, seem to have the most dated connection to the chaos powers. I really don't think it's specifically a hedgehog thing at all, and if it was... well, it'd make Sonic himself far less interesting to me.

Amy's hammer is just an old anime/manga gag; she's not meant to have some sort of super hammer summoning power or interdimensional pockets. Although she's become stronger and faster as the series has gone on, she's still not particularly powerful (no more than the 6 year old bunny, anyway) and it's more likely due to training than some untapped hedgehog power. The best hook to give her powers would be her use of Tarot cards, but considering that's only been mentioned about twice in the entire series and never to any significant effect, that's out.

So no, Amy's pretty much normal, as much as that can be said about talking pink hedgehogs.

And like Flyboy said, hedgehogs are hardly the only superpowered creatures out there. Knuckles is super strong and can glide, Tails is a genius with a helicopter ass, Big can lift a car over his head, Blaze is pyrokinetic, and so on.

Personally I've always hated this explanation. To make that sort of thing work, I feel you've got to make the species notably different from the rest, and be up front with it, and this fails both counts. The animals in the Sonic series never really felt like different species, to me, but something more comparable to breeds or races; they're not "separate" enough for there to be such a difference in power. It's not even as if it's some secretive group living apart from the rest of the world...they're just hanging around (on that note, they probably could've pulled it off with echidnas if they had tried it, since they've got the whole "lost race" schtick going on). And on the second point, it just feels like an asspull if you try to propose that as the reason long after the fact. Heck, it's almost a non-answer; "they all can" doesn't explain this any better than it explains how birds can fly. Plus it cheapens the whole deal; rather than their powers properly belonging to them, it makes it seem like they were just lucky to be born hedgehogs.

So, I was playing '06 and asking myself why silver is able to do Chaos-control, which alwayse confused me, and I came up with this theory: The Hedgehog species seems to have a conection to Chaos energy. It would explain alot of things like how all hedgehogs seem to have super-powers(Sonic's super-speed, Silver's psychic powers, and Amy can summon hammers, as well as turn invisible in '06). It would also explain why Gerald decided to create Shadow in the image of a Hedgehog, and it explains how practicaly all hedgehogs can use Chaos Control, or go Super. If Sega were to use this idea it could lead to alot of different plots for games, like investigating the secrets of Sonic's past and species, or having Amy get a super form. So what do you all think?

Ugh! No thanks.

There really isn't anything that needs to be explained, it's one of those cases where ignorance is bliss. Personally I don't want any explainations; if SEGA came out and said all hedgehogs have powers, it's part of their species then Sonic would be kinda tainted for me. Part, if not all of Sonic's appeal comes from him being unique - a BLUE hedgehog that can run as fast as the speed of sound(strange colour for a hedgehog which is also not an animal known for being fast at all) It makes Sonic unique. Start saying every hedgehog is just like Sonic then that originality wanes and Sonic is less cool.

Hence why I hate Sonic getting more and more stupid super forms (darkspines, golden knight etc.) or that characters like Silver and Shadow get super forms just like Sonic's aswell.

If Amy ever got a spuer form also I think I'd laugh then set whatever game that it was in on fire.

I actually love Amy's 'normality'. Yeah, you could claim that she has tarot powers or whatever, but I think she isn't intended to be a super-powered character. Rather she's a very ordinary girl hedgehog, physically, who makes up for that with her Piko Piko Hammer and her humongous personality XD;; She's proof enough to me that not all hedgehogs are supernaturally gifted - and that they really don't NEED to be.

Silver comes from the future. I'm going to assume that years into the future, word about Chaos Control gets around, and becomes a more commonly practised ability. Being a psychic and all, I would think Silver could easily master it. ( maybe with nothing but a peek into Shadow's mind )

Sort of like in the MOTHER series, when one man learned about PSI when he got back from a UFO, kept it to himself, and in the future, even inanimate objects know how to use it.

Here's how I see it: Sonic is the only real "unique" hedgehog of the modern day. Amy is slow as hell and has no powers, whereas Sonic is a fast, nimble fellow, destined to be the hero who saves Angel Island from Eggman. Shadow is a genetically created creature made from the blood of Black Doom, and assumably the only reason he resembles Sonic is because Gerald studied the prophecies of the echidnas, and the Hidden Palace tapestry/Hydrocity Sonic statues and as such decided to create a creature in the image of an ancient prophecy which had connection to the emeralds (or so he believed). As for Silver? Well, he just seems to come from some sort of superpowered future - every Sonic character we've ever seen come back from the future, canon or otherwise, always seems to have a ridiculous power or something.

In conclusion? Sonic is a hedgehog born with extraordinary powers, Shadow is a hedgehog modified to have extraordinary powers in the image of Sonic (despite him not being born yet). In that sense, Shadow is the real "faker".

As for Silver? Well, he just seems to come from some sort of superpowered future - every Sonic character we've ever seen come back from the future, canon or otherwise, always seems to have a ridiculous power or something.

Or perhaps Silver is a descendant of Sonic, thus inheriting the super powers gene or something?? Hmm Sonic + Amy...blue + Pink = Silver right? :lol:

I dunno, I just reckon the more super forms we get the less exciting they become. Super Sonic should be the ultimate one therefore Sonic needs no other lame forms - I'll buy the whole "Shadow made in the image of the prophecy of Sonic" idea and therefore give Shadow some justification for having a similar super form, though I do hope if we see it again they make sure to differentiate the distinct colour differences between Sonic and Shadows super forms, unlike in Shadow the hedgehog where he was practically yellow rather than his more baige/tan yellow.

Blaze I can understand as she is basically the parrallel universes version of Sonic, that plus her super form is interesting.

Silver's super form is where it starts getting annoying and unoriginal. Yellow with upturned quills and reds eyes...hmm...NO. I do hope if Super Silver is to return to any game again that they retcon his form slightly and make him a more unique form...perhaps have him glow in an aura of light blue psychicy stuff (they call him psychic even though its telekinesis) or have his body go entirely that colour...just not a slight colour variation of Super Sonic, it's really getting old and making the origanl super form seem lame now.

I wouldn't mind seeing Hyper Knuckles again in all his glowing fluro pink glory, but as far as super form sgo I think enough is enough.

Mmkay. Trying to explain a completely fictional thing linked to another fictional thing, with a 'theory'...theories are based on scientific data gathered through observation or experiments, and where did you find a group of blue hedgehogs to test this out on? It's just an idea. XD I hate the use of the word 'theory'. Furthermore, it's just convenient that they can use super powers. Supposed to add to the gameplay.

Stop taking Sonic too seriously. This kind of stuff just doesn't matter.

I happen to believe that Knuckles' Super Form is canonical, as well, even if it hasn't appeared in years. Plus, Echidnas are well known to have a connection to the Chaos Emeralds, and so far guardians have only been echidnas (hinted through Knuckles being the "last echidna" and Tikal apparently being the first echidna guardian; the only exception is Chaos, who could technically be the first "guardian" period). And this is going by the games.

Silver and Chaos Control? I believe that Blaze's powers are linked to the Chaos Emeralds, as well. Or at least the Sol Emeralds, which I STILL think are linked to the Chaos Emeralds, anyway. I believe its just a few gifted individuals who can utilize the power. Blaze could probably use Chaos Control if she tried (and I believe she does use a variation in the ending), and other non-hedgehog characters such as Black Doom can also use Chaos Control. Further reason how Silver can use Chaos Control? Well, his telekinesis, for one. I believe it is a variation of Chaos Control which involves moving objects with the mind (and Shadow has been shown to do this, as well).

Then there's also Tikal. Either Tikal literally sends the cast of Sonic Adventure into the past, or it is merely a vision of the past. Either way, she has tremendous power to be able to create such a vision and send anyone into it and interact with the people there. If that's not a variation of Chaos Control, I don't know what is.

Chaos Control is a rather generic term for a large series of capabilities. Chaos Control simply allows control over time and space (matter). Telekinesis is part of the "space" half of Chaos Control, while Time Travel is part of the "time" aspect of it (as well as warping; teleportation is a little different because characters can transport past objects, but warping simply speeds up objects).

The "attack" side of Chaos Control, consisting of things like Chaos Spear and Chaos Blast, literally tears open the fabric of reality to use it as an attack.

I'm kinda against the super powers in the series. As the history of Sonic games gets deeper, they find the need to one-up the universe by adding new and exciting characters. It can be a problem when you run out of original ideas. Tails, the first new character hardly has super powers. He's a helicopter fox. It's an ability unique to him and the Sonic series, and having a helicopter on your ass doesn't really make you an all powerful being. Neither does running really fast or busting up large objects with your mittens. The magic in Sonic's world comes from a series of powerful gems - probably the only super powered object in the universe. Even in SatAM where the cast was very ordinary and Sonic had ability beyond them, he still didn't cross that line into superhero. As a cartoon animal, he can have extraordinary abilities to a point. I mean, is the Roadrunner a superhero if he fights evil? When the series turned to shonen plots, with the shouting of special moves, that's superhero territory. At least according to me. Chaos control is a move out of animes. Now there seems to be an emerald club, that only the most powerful characters belong to. The emeralds should in theory work for everyone in the series, no matter how the power manifests. Didn't Rouge (who should be an expert on valuable gems) say that miracles happen when you gather them? Does Rouge have a super form, and does it matter? All major bosses seem to be able to use them. But we have a precedent in Sonic 1 on what the emeralds can do besides feed power into people for epic fights. Knuckles should have emerald affinity for his Guardianship. Shadow was made for it. Sonic is the hero so it's a given. Silver is just like those bosses - if he's new he has to be a card carrying member of the emerald club to be interesting. So maybe they should bring it down a bit. What happens when Amy gathers the emeralds? She doesn't even have to transform.

Silver's super form is where it starts getting annoying and unoriginal. Yellow with upturned quills and reds eyes...hmm...NO. I do hope if Super Silver is to return to any game again that they retcon his form slightly and make him a more unique form...perhaps have him glow in an aura of light blue psychicy stuff (they call him psychic even though its telekinesis) or have his body go entirely that colour...just not a slight colour variation of Super Sonic, it's really getting old and making the origanl super form seem lame now.

Silver's is actually one of the most unique Super States there's been. (The other two being Blaze and Scourge)

Observe:

Super_Silver_instructions.jpg

They didn't just upturn his head quills, they upturned everything. His forehead quills, and even his mane. In fact, Shadow's chest hair and Knuckles crest don't even change color, which says a lot for Silver. They actually went through the trouble to ensure he fits in a sprite palette as well by hue changing his PK aura.

Blaze and Scourge also get props, both of them first of for not being yellow. Then there's the whole color changing clothes thing, evidently made necessary by palette limitations, but executed in classy fashion. Blaze gets special props due to the burning cuffs, and quite literally being on fire, and Scourge gets props for inverting Sonic's colors to amazing effect. He's got black irises for spark's sake.

Now granted, I can see where you're coming from with there being too many Super States. However, if they keep making them visually interesting like Silver, Blaze, Scourge, and even Darkspine, then I'm all for whatever they come up with.

Amy had a super form in the past but no one bothered with it. And if you were wondering it was in the original Sonic Advance I believe.

So if all hedgehogs have super powers well they wouldn't need their buddies now would they? But oh well...

Silver's is actually one of the most unique Super States there's been. (The other two being Blaze and Scourge)

Observe:

They didn't just upturn his head quills, they upturned everything. His forehead quills, and even his mane. In fact, Shadow's chest hair and Knuckles crest don't even change color, which says a lot for Silver. They actually went through the trouble to ensure he fits in a sprite palette as well by hue changing his PK aura.

Blaze and Scourge also get props, both of them first of for not being yellow. Then there's the whole color changing clothes thing, evidently made necessary by palette limitations, but executed in classy fashion. Blaze gets special props due to the burning cuffs, and quite literally being on fire, and Scourge gets props for inverting Sonic's colors to amazing effect. He's got black irises for spark's sake.

Now granted, I can see where you're coming from with there being too many Super States. However, if they keep making them visually interesting like Silver, Blaze, Scourge, and even Darkspine, then I'm all for whatever they come up with.

Love that pic by the way^ But I still think Silver is very unoriginal. The only originality I see from that super form comes from Silver being unique normally. As Silver is normal, he's pretty original, I'd love him alot more if they'd stuck with keeping him a Mink rather than a hedgehog for more originality but as he is he looks pretty original. Only male character with boots, weird pot leaf hairstle, futuristic designs on his boots and cuffs plus the whole telekinisis thing and his glowing patterns that I assume is related to it.

Super Silver however is not very original at all. First off all they've done is follow the same formula that Shadow took, ie; make a Super form just like Sonic's only water down the colour, so as Shadow's yellow was somewhat toned down to a more champagne yellow, Silver's goes further and is almost white with a slight tinge of yellow.

Then we have the eyes, red, like super Sonic's and Super Shadow's - not really original at all. His spines go up, but then that also is a trait that's come before it. His cuffs and chest fur changes colour, but again Blaze demonstrated change of clothes colour already.

I really think a blue aura Silver would've been cooler, or maybe make him like look comprised of energy like the silouette of his shape but all blue.

To me three hedgehog all with very similar colours in their Super forms is just boring and repetative.