Awoo.

Sonic 1 & 2 Sprites

RedYellowBlueCR

So, I've noticed this for a long time, but I wasn't sure if anyone else has. it seems to me that the sprite set for Sonic in the first Sonic game has a really "innocent" quality to them. To me, the look in his face and how he walks suggest that he could be unsure about what's up ahead of him, but in Sonic 2 he seems to have a more "serious" quality about him. His face to seems to have this really determined look in it, and his walking sprites seem to be more confident. Perhaps I'm just weird, but dose anyone get where I'm coming from?

Edited by HighCaliburFun

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blue Blood

• Vertekins

• Core

• RedYellowBlueCR

No, the sprites between 1 and 2 are nearly identical, 2's having slightly more detail.

I'd actually say the opposite. The eyes on the Sonic 1 sprites are sharper, while the ones on the Sonic 2 sprite are more rounded. Plus Sonic 2's ledge animations beat Sonic 1's by a mile.

Yeah, it's backwards. I see a more determined Sonic in the S1/SCD sprites, but I see a more rounded (and happy-ish?) Sonic in the S2 sprites. It seems as they progressed they tried to make Sonic look less determined and scowling and make him more hap-hap-happy (hence the grinning, pudgy and cheery-ish S3K sprites).

I remember seeing a site comparing the sprites in the Genesis games. If I recall correctly, in Sonic 2, he has a more "angrier" look to him, making him look more "confident" than Sonic 1.

In 3K he looks happier than usual when stood still, but running full pelt is serious business.

I actually agree with HCF in a sense, with the running animations anyway.

The facial expressions, however, are the other way around. :)

This might just be a Classic Collection edit, but I seem to recall certain Eggman boss battles with S3 and S3K where if you looked up with Sonic or Tails, instead of a usual "huh?" expression, they would look angry. It's mor noticable on Tails than it is with Sonic. Slightly off topic, But I just thought it would be interesting to post here, since it seems to be all about sprite facial expressions.

Pretty sure that because of the SCC screen squashing. When the screen is fixed, but you can still move up and down a few pixels because the the ground isn't totally even (Ice Cap boss for example) you can see how their faces change slightly.

sonics.gif

The Sonic 2 standing still sprite looks hugely identical to the Sonic 1 standing still sprite only that his fur color is definately darker and has a shiny quality, has a less exaggerated toe on the shoe behind the one most visible and the side of the eye is curvier. I personally don't see a difference concerning the 'serious look'. However, Sonic 3 Sonic standing still has a noticeable frown. It looks more symbolic of a neutral expression rather than one of distaste to me at least.

Actually, come to think of it after looking at the Sonic 3 sprite more, I can't honestly tell if his expression is meant to be a tiny smirk or an oddly neutral-looking slight frown.

I just think that the way Sonic's eyes are shaped makes him look kinda angry even when he isn't. I'm sure that I read that Nigel Kitching was annoyed that the model sheet he had to abide by dictated that Sonic's irises/pupils had to stick to his brows, making him incapable of some expressions without looking angry or serious.

Edited by Verte

sonics.gif

Actually, THIS is the Sonic 3 sprite.

s3sonikku.gif

It bothers me when people use the wrong one.

In my opinion, I love the Sonic 2 sprites, but the Sonic 3 sprites have better shading with fewer colours.

Well, boy... do I feel out of place. lol

Edited by HighCaliburFun

I just think that the way Sonic's eyes are shaped makes him look kinda angry even when he isn't. I'm sure that I read that Nigel Kitching was annoyed that the model sheet he had to abide by dictated that Sonic's irises/pupils had to stick to his brows, making him incapable of some expressions without looking angry or serious.

What model sheet was he looking at?

Sonichappy.pngSSS_SONIC27.png

http://info.sonicretro.org/images/7/71/Classic_sonic_orthographic.svg

He doesn't do that anywhere else, unless maybe it was based off of some of the in game sprites. I say "some", because, during hurt and ledge animations, Sonic had wide eyes.

s3sonikku.gif

I really can't see the difference, myself. D:

What model sheet was he looking at?

Sonichappy.pngSSS_SONIC27.png

http://info.sonicretro.org/images/7/71/Classic_sonic_orthographic.svg

He doesn't do that anywhere else, unless maybe it was based off of some of the in game sprites. I say "some", because, during hurt and ledge animations, Sonic had wide eyes.

I don't know, I only read this information here. Reading it again, it doesn't seem to be Nigel Kitching who disliked this aspect, but some other Sonic the Comic artist named Roberto.

Just goes to show how semingly tight SEGA are when it comes to the depiction of their mascot :blink:

[image]

Mouth, skin colour, pupils.

Yah, It bothers me when people use the one with small pupils then complain about how tiny they are.

s3sonikku.gif

... So, where does the other sprite come from? Sonic & Knuckles?