Awoo.

BAFTA videogame awards

Badnik Mechanic

So tonight was the BAFTA videogame awards ceremony... nah I was watching sport relief.

Anyway. The winners are as follows.

Fellowship award ---- Shigeru Miyamoto - General Manager of Nintendo Entertainment, Analysis & Development, his credits include Mario, Donkey Kong & Legend of Zelda

Best Action Game:

Nominated: Assassin’s Creed II, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, inFAMOUS, Left 4 Dead 2, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Winner: Uncharted 2.

I'm quite suprised at the inclusion of inFAMOUS, theres no reason why it should not be on there, but it's not the first game you think of is it? Definately agree with the winner though.

Artistic Achievement

Assassin’s Creed II, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Streetfighter IV, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, Flower

Winner: Flower

I have no idea why MW2 was nominated... unless they game artistic nomination on the grounds that it does a good job of re-creating the war in Iraq early on. Otherwise not really sure. Batman is a bit of a surprise too, but I can see why it's there. As for the winner, I've played Flower and I couldn't agree more. Although I wouldn't have been too surprised if Street Fighter 4 got in.

Best Game

Nominated: Assassin’s Creed II, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, FIFA 10, Left 4 Dead 2, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Winner: Batman: Arkham Asylum.

I am very suprised that Batman won it, I don't think there was any problem with them winning it, but very suprised that it won it. I think that they all deserve to be there (unsure of AC 2.) However... Fifa 10? Don't make me laugh.

Family & Social

The Beatles: Rock Band, Buzz! Quiz World, EyePet, Guitar Hero 5, New Super Mario Bros Wii, Wii Sports Resort

Winner: Wii Sports Resort

Well what can you say, they're all clearly good family games, they're all popular, the winner... well... I think that there are some better titles in the list... but if they're leaning towards family/social, maybe it's better.

Gameplay

Nominations: Assassin’s Creed II, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, New Super Mario Bros Wii, PixelJunk Shooter, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, Batman: Arkham Asylum

Winner: Batman: Arkham Asylum

I am very suprised by this one. Batman is a good game, it's gameplay is also very good, but compared to Uncharted 2's gameplay and how brilliant it was, I am VERY suprised that it didn't win this one... again MW2 and AC2...

Best Handheld

Nominations: Gran Turismo, LittleBigPlanet (PSP), LocoRoco Midnight Carnival, Mario and Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story, Professor Layton and Pandora’s Box, Scribblenauts

Winner: Little Big Planet (PSP)

Owwww Now then. Lets look at the nominated titles first... All good games... in fact I think that they're probably the best ones of the last year. I wonder though if we had gotten Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth a few months ago would that have been nominated? Or Silent Hill Shattered Dreams? I think the reason why LBP won the award is down to the creative side of it, the game itself is good. I have it, but it's not the best game I've played for a handheld in recent years... however, the level creator and the download created levels would certainly push it higher for an awards ceremony like this.

Best Story

Nominations: Assassin’s Creed II, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Broken Sword – Shadow of the Templars: The Director’s Cut, Brutal Legend, Dragon Age: Origins, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Winner: Uncharted 2

I completly agree with the winner. However... Broken Sword? Didn't even know there was a new one out, it'll certainly sell a few more titles from that nomination alone. I think I agree with all those other nominations there.

Theres a few more awards on their site. See what you think.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Covskin

• SuperLink

• Badnik Mechanic

• Nemain

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Couldn't agree less with their choice for best handheld title. As nice as LBP would be handheld, it's hardly the same experience without multiplayer, I can't imagine it being the kind of game I'd play a lot.

Multiplayer is incredibly important to LBP's enjoyability.

Also surprised to see Scribblenauts up there, since yes it was imaginative and unique but they really didn't do it very well in the end.

That definitely should've gone to a game like Edgeworth/Kingdom Hearts/Zelda/Layton/Mario&Luigi/Half-Minute Hero or something.

Other than that I have no complaints. The Wii was completely balls last year :(, imo NSMBW doesn't even deserve to be on those lists.

I think they all deserved the awards they won, I havn't played Flower though so I'm not sure on that one.

Uncharted 2 is a fantastic game, I've only played the demo and watched friends play it, but it sold really well and I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Arkham Asylum again, great game, I havn't played it properly (demo and watched others play) but again I've heard nothing but good things.

I'm not surprised Wii Sports Resort won, it is a great game and it fits the category perfectly, it's popular, sells well and it's easy to get into.

I really liked LBP PSP, it's not the same as the PS3 version but it's still fun and I think it deserved it. I don't think LBP is all about multiplayer though, at all, I play it by myself most of the time and download levels.

Left 4 Dead 2 is definetly the best multiplayer game, no surprise it won!

Yeah, am quite pleased Batman took away the awards it deserved. Normally it's the huge games like MW2 that predictably end up taking everything. While that's not without merit as it -is- a good game, it's nice to see a stand alone (non-sequel) title get recognised. I am a little disappointed SFIV didn't get the artistic award as the art style of that game is unique, but any other year and it would have got it. Flower's a worthy winner though.

The only category that has me questioning the choices is the handheld category. Mario and Luigi was by far the best handheld game this year. While LBP wasn't a bad game, this one was much better. Brilliant graphics, really funny cutscenes (I HAVE CHORTLES!) and innovative use of the DS features for battles... I've followed this series from game one and it just keeps getting better. I feel quite sad AlphaDream didn't get the recognition they deserve.

Best Story

I completly agree with the winner. However... Broken Sword? Didn't even know there was a new one out, it'll certainly sell a few more titles from that nomination alone.

It was only a remake of the first Broken Sword with an extended prologue for Nico, think it was on the Wii. Apparently, they had to get a new voice actress for that part, but then they used the original audio for the rest of the game. Can't think of many characters who have different voice actors in THE SAME GAME.

Can't say I'm really surprised by any of those, apart from possibly Fifa 10 for Best Use of Online.

Roundabout 6 last ngiht, the BBC News channel had an interview with Dara O' Briain about the awards as he was hosting, and it only increased my liking of the guy. We need more clever, sensible and popular peple like him on our sde, it was a real breath of fresh air to see such a sane conversation on the TV, especially at that sort of time.