Awoo.

Sonic & the Black Knight Music Refferences

Agent York

Sonic & the Black Knight had a pretty nifty soundtrack, eh? It really added something to the game (even if I personally didn't enjoy it all that much). Several composers worked on it even. The thing is, the soundtrack is not entirely original. In fact, several of the tracks are remixed versions of old SEGA game songs by the same composers. I was reminded about this from a recent discussion but not sure if it's too well known.

Original song:

Sonic & the Black Knight Version:

I know other songs on the soundtrack like Great Megalith for example were also from something, but I can't recall now and if anyone knows or can spot it that would be fantastic. The reason for this is because SEGA's several composers who made the game also had some retro games they took tunes for, in fact lots of Black Knights soundtrack is remixed from old songs, even old songs from Sonic games like It Doesn't Matter to a Sonic Rush song.

This brings up a point though, SEGA has a huge array of back music. Some of the most remembered tracks in Black Knight are actually remixes of older SEGA tunes. Think SEGA just taking some of their older tunes and updating them is a bit cheap and doesn't get us any new tunes really, think it's a good way to reference to fans of these games and give them updated versions of classic tunes, and think SEGA should invest more time into doing stuff like this or it's just lazy? More so, did you even notice all of the obscure old song remixes in Black Knight or did you think these tunes were completely original? More examples would be great also. Thoughts?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Agent York

• SuperStingray

• SykoTech

• Octarine

I thought it was just Molten Mine? I've never heard of any other Black Knight tracks being lifted from old games (other than the obvious character themes of course).

I don't see anything wrong with it myself. They're fully remade and remixed and suit the game perfectly.

I thought it was just Molten Mine? I've never heard of any other Black Knight tracks being lifted from old games (other than the obvious character themes of course).

I don't see anything wrong with it myself. They're fully remade and remixed and suit the game perfectly.

You'll have to excuse me for not remembering the songs source (seeing if I can trigger it from memory), but I remember for a fact Great Megalith and I believe The Cauldron were also lifted from somewhere, and then of course the several character themes and super transformation tune being It Doesn't Matter remixed. Seeing if I can recall where Great Megalith and The Cauldron were from though, Great Megalith I remember particularly because I was listening to SEGA tunes one day and one random song sounded just like Great Megalith, looking around again if I can trigger the same response.

Edited by Dusk the Biohazard Keeper

I honestly don't think its "cheap" at all. I think they do it purposely for nostalgic purposes. And I do know that quite a few songs popped up in this game from previous games, both Sonic and non. There's actually a song that reminds me of a couple others. Knight's Passage for the longest time I thought resembled Cosmic Fall, but then someone else pointed out that it sounds closer to Cryptic Castle. I still see a resemblance to both songs in that one, though.

Then there's, of course, the other songs coming back--All Hail Shadow, Unknown From M.E., etc., for the medals that play in the background, and also for Shadow and Knuckles' pre-battle cutscene, Throw it all Away/Unknown From M.E. appear.

However, I think you're going a bit too far in saying its just Black Knight. Sega does this all the time. Shadow the Hedgehog has TONS of music references, mostly to SA2. Live and Learn pops up when Shadow turns Super, E.G.G.M.A.N. is remixed numerous times for Eggman boss battles and also a few Eggman cutscenes. Vengeance is Mine is the multiplayer battle theme. There's also remixes of the G.U.N. boss theme, and a major event theme from SA2 recurs in Shadow as an event theme, as well (I forget the name, but it appears when Eggman, Shadow, and Rouge are making plans to infiltrate the island, and when Sonic, Eggman, Tails, and Amy have the encounter on the air where Sonic appears to "die").

So, yeah, I don't think its just Black Knight. They do it all the time. And I don't see it as being "cheap" at all.

Those two songs (Molten Mine and Action Theme) sent shivers down my spine...

Edited by Extaticus
  • Thumbs Up 1

Black Knight had one of my favourite Sonic soundtracks in a while, for sure, and Molten Mine is one of my favourite video game songs of all time. I'm immensely glad that it was cribbed from Black Dawn, since I'd probably never have heard it otherwise.

I definitely don't count the reuse of character themes as lazy either. I'd actually prefer it if they were reused in every game for continuity's sake, since that's really what leitmotifs are for.

Molten Mine had the only music in Black Knight that I really liked. Maybe that's how they made it so good. If they have to look to the past to come up with great tunes like that, it's fine by me. B)

I can't help but like it when new games find a place for old songs. I remember the motorcycle scene in Bayonetta used a theme from After Burner (I think it was After Burner.)