Awoo.

Pokèmon Black & White Discussion

PSI Wind

As far as the new pokemon look, the only one I'm mildly interested in is the gecko. Other than him I just can't get into the other pokemon. The only reason why I'd chose the fire pig is to give him the name bacon, and I just don't like the look of the water starter.

However, I do like the idea of older trainers just because it makes more since. Not to mention their designs are really well done.

Ugn. Again another set of starters that don't appeal to me. Don't we already have a grass gecko? And now we're getting another one, as a starter no less.

Prof. Tree Name: Okay, you can have a choice of one of these 3 Pokemon.

Me: ....... ......... ...................... Can I just get a Cyndaquil?

And it doesn't really make any difference to me whether the heroes are "older." Only thing I would care about is the female hero having bigger boobs as a result, and based on the illustration May/Haruka still beats her.

Oh god these starters. I am actually... impress.

These look pretty sick, I like them honestly. This shows that the community doesn't just hate stuff just cause it's new, those starters (for the most part) look like some actual work was put into them.

water/ice is kind of awful typing

Ah careful though! Although some starters looked like dual types at first, they actually didn't fit into those types.

Torchic for example. When it was first see, everyone screamed FIRE/FLYING DEFINITELY. Then when Torchic evolved they were like LOL WUT

I particularly like that these starters don't stick to the green/red/blue colour schemes as strictly as most starters do. I like them more because they look different than because they look particularly good... although I do genuinely like the way they look as well. They're just a breath of fresh air, and I hope the rest of the generation feels similar.

Edited by Octarine

Loving the fire and grass ones, but I'm not so keen on the water guy at the moment. The colour its head, and the nose really through me off. Then again, I hated Chimchar at first and I really like it now. At any rate though, a fire started has never been my favourite. Bulbasaur, Totodile, Mudkip and Piplup have been my faves so far, and the grass guy now will probably be next.

I'll have to wait to see how they all end up. Cause like, Chikorita goes from bad to worse, Piplup ends up steel type and Blaziken can't fly. Just hoping the otter doesn't become a water/ice or pure water though.

FFFFFFFUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKK

I cannot even contain my excitement right now, Black is now tied with Gold as my favourite protag and all the starters look... wow.

Ignoring HGSS I don't think I've been this excited for a game since GSC.

FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKIIIIINNNNGGGGG GOTTA CATCH EM ALL

Prof. Tree Name: Okay, you can have a choice of one of these 3 Pokemon.

Me: ....... ......... ...................... Can I just get a Cyndaquil?

That's not the point.

And it doesn't really make any difference to me whether the heroes are "older." Only thing I would care about is the female hero having bigger boobs as a result, and based on the illustration May/Haruka still beats her.

I guess people are just a little bored of playing as 10 year olds who look like 16 year olds. Now maybe we'll finally get NPCs reaction to the protags in different ways, amongst many other things.

I particularly like that these starters don't stick to the green/red/blue colour schemes as strictly as most starters do. I like them more because they look different than because they look particularly good... although I do genuinely like the way they look as well. They're just a breath of fresh air, and I hope the rest of the generation feels similar.

Yeah I agree.

There's been shitloads of fanart already. Internet response time is truly a marvellous thing.

Also the internet reckons

Grass/Fighting

Fire/Dark

Water/Psychic

I guess I could see it happening.

Edited by SuperLink

Grass/figthing: It's cool, and Breloom is currently the only one in this category. But a third fighting starter in a row? No ta.

Fire/dark: Very awesome, just like Houndoom. I would sooner expect fire/rock or fire/ground though.

Water/psychic: Don't see that happening (Hello Torchic!), but it would be pretty awesome.

Using that same dark/fighting/psychic triangle, I expect:

Grass/psychic, fire/dark and water/fighting. Prefer the other option though.

Intertwining two type triangles would be an excellent way to proceed, although given the way pigs like to dig about in the ground looking for munchies I think I'd rather a Fire/Ground type final evolution. I don't mind either way though, as long as Dark and Fire types get some decent new attacks.

A grass/Fighting type? That thing will get annihilated by any flying type pokemon

The fire/dark type looks interesting. I believe its final evo will be something awesome to look at. I'm expecting a warthog.

The water. No just No it looks like a friggin modified Piplup. Plus i don't like its face at all.

Edited by Iris

Fire Pig! :D Flaming Warthog of Doom here I come!

28319831.png

There's been shitloads of fanart already. Internet response time is truly a marvellous thing.

Also the internet reckons

Grass/Fighting

Would be Nice.

Fire/Dark

I Dunno. I Personally Think that the Pig will Evolve into a Fire/Ground Type. It Would be a Fitting Type Combo if it Evolves into a Big, Flaming Warthog of Doom Named Pumbaa.

Water/Psychic

Hmm, Not to sure. It Looks to Me Personally like a Pure Water Type, But We'll see about that.

The water. No just No it looks like a friggin modified Piplup. Plus i don't like its face at all.

I'm not surprised, given Piplup's new quasi-mascot status in the anime. I wonder if this generation we'll be getting a Piplup-alike instead of a Pikachu-alike?

Pluslup and Minlup? :huh:

Oh god I love those starters. Finally some memorable ones again, although I have this nagging feeling that once the fire pig evo's it will turn into some oinky fire beast.

My favorite ones are the fire and water ones. Probably cause they turned out better than expected.

Also, those new characters are pretty neat. Its nice to know that its a bit different than usual.

Edited by Columind

I don't know where people are getting Fire/Dark from with piggy, I still reckon it'll be Fire/Fighting if it get's a dual type since the black head bit looks like a bandana and the black bit on the rear look's like wrestler type pants.

Oh my god what is wrong with those starter designs.

And I thought the Gen3 ones were bad. Jesus christ.

Oh my god what is wrong with those starter designs.

And I thought the Gen3 ones were bad. Jesus christ.

u mad.

I genuinely think these are the best since Gen 2 imo.

I kinda... Don't like them but do. I mean, the gecko is cool, the pig is awesome... The otter is oh fuck what. It's just that they'll take some time getting used to, more than usual. I'm getting a good vibe from the otter though, like the evos will be good. Hard to decide what I like most.

Older protags is awesome too. Maybe the distance of this region limited the influence of old ones and these people are smarter than to let ten year olds run around having cocofights.

P.S. I said I wouldn't spoil these.

Edited by Noir

I don't know where people are getting Fire/Dark from with piggy, I still reckon it'll be Fire/Fighting if it get's a dual type since the black head bit looks like a bandana and the black bit on the rear look's like wrestler type pants.

It will probably end up some muscley warthog/boar similar to Rhyperior or Typhlosion, standing on two feet .

Maybe it will turn into some Piggy Sumo wrestler lmao.( What my younger brother said haha)

I'm more for the fire/fighting type combo at the moment but if that doesn't happen, I'm guessing fire/ground too with the potential to learn fighting moves.

I'm still wondering what the Prof. Tree will be named too:-

Prof. Apple? (Apple Tree)

Prof. Palm? (Palm Tree)

Prof. Bush? (A Bush)

Prof. Pine? (Pine tree, think that's a name of a tree anyway..)

XD

Edited by StuFox
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hey if the pig's final evolve form is some badass Warthog, then I'm all in for it. I can also see it being a fire/fighting type based on the design.

I think I'd kill myself if we had another fire/fighting-type starter. Three out of five is too damn many.

...either way, though, it'll be nice to have a pig-like Pokemon that doesn't turn into Mamoswine or Grumpig. Poor Swinub.

Nice, I like them. The pig is surprisingly good for me, and the gecko is surprisingly not. Looks like I'll be ignoring Grass starters again.

The otter has a nice color scheme I think. Dunno about its face, looks kinda like a Mr. Mime. I bet its evolutions are pretty cool.

What about this for the fire pig. I think his black/red/yellow spots could evolve into a Mexican wrestler mask. How's a wrestling warthog sound?

Personally I think the grass starter looks kind of cool, the eyes are a bit big but other than that he looks quite cool. I'm not sure whether I like the pig or not, on one hand the design is better than I previously aniticipated, the face just looks a bit stupid though IMO. I can't tell what the water one is meant to be though, some people are saying an otter but I'd say it's more like the child of a Bibarel and a Pachirisu.

One thing that is bothering me is that none of these look like they will evolve into Pokémon that will be good in battle. The grass one has the burden of...well...being a grass type. A poor offensive and defensive typing as well as having about 5 good moves doesn't do it much favours, it could be good if it gets a good second STAB because it looks like it could evolve into a quick sweeper esque Pokémon. The pig looks like it will probably evolve into a defensive fire type and fire is one of the worst defensive types going. Being weak to ground and having a stealth rock really cripples any fire types chance of being a good defender. The water one really looks like it will be an ice type, and ice is a horrible type to have since it, again, gives you a stealth rock weakness which no Pokémon wants to have. Ice doesn't have many resistances to work with either and adds alot of crippling weaknesses to the water type.

Liking the new-look trainers. For once, I almost think the girl trainer looks cooler than the boy! D:

As for the starters... those designs, I did not expect. Grass Gecko looks quite cool and the Fire Pig is interesting. The Water... THING though is god awful. It's just... bleh. I don't like it at all. I think if I end up getting both versions, it'll be Grass and Fire that I choose.

Now all we need are actual names for the Pokemon and images of their evolutions. Then, and only then, can we determine just how awesome they really are.

...Y'know, why do we pay so much attention to the starter Pokémon when we only ever have them in their original form for the first five hours of the game anyway?