Awoo.

Pokèmon Black & White Discussion

PSI Wind

Trainer designs are nice, and I like that they're older. Maybe this means they'll face big kid issues like dating, hormones, peer pressure, etc.

Hm...

Come on, join us! I'm telling you to join!

Red could handle your "big kid issues" back when he was eleven. Dude didn't even need to talk.

• Thumbs Up 2

Red could handle your "big kid issues" back when he was eleven. Dude didn't even need to talk.

He's just too cool for you.

Also, if this takes place a couple of years later like most gens, wouldn't that mean Red would be like 15-16?

I'd love to see him in a car randomly, walk up and talk to him, best conversation ever.

"..."

"..."

"..."

"..."

"..."

"..!"

PKMN TRAINER RED gave you a RARE CANDY!

"..."

EDIT: Also oh my god I m looking at the screens the ruins place looks genuinely like old California-Mexican forts 'n shit.

Edited by Nathan

Ruins? What ruins? :| The only thing close was that (probably abandoned) factory.

Also I just looked at Wotter (As /v/ has taken to calling the otter) and then Zoroark. Then back to Wotter. And the Zoroark. That's a hilarious contrast.

All this talk of Leaf makes me realise just how awesome her unused gen 1 design was.

Seriously, I can't even get over how good the protag designs are, Black and White are definately tied with Gold and Kris for my favourite male and female protags.

Arrrrghhhh I can't wait to see more of this game, my only concern right now is if they'll be the option to migrate 4th gen Pokemon, because life = over if not.

The anime only did this kind of stuff early on in the show, didn't it?

The games could also go for some out there moments, or unpredictable situations. More sidequests.

The formula only changes so much in one generation, with small additions. I wanna be surprised.

Also this video's posted description on Youtube is hilarious.

caterpie is like sorta freakin out or some shit because he has been free all his life, but not truly free as ignorance is not freedom. now that he's been caught by some half-wit trainer, he is finally maturing instead of dicking around in some forest. he now has the responsibility as a moral agent to make decisions that can affect not only himself but ash and the rest of his pokemon team. wracked with this and the regular existential despair that comes with realizing that most of your life has been a lie and that there are no room for objective morality in this possibly meaningless world (maybe the purpose is only to catch them all) he now is troubled by the fact that the second person he has met, misty, is, for some childish, girly reason, disgusted by his very nature as a "bug" pokemon. (I wonder yet if there are any real bugs or even animals in the pokemon world, leading me to wonder how you can call something a "bug" pokemon when there are no "bugs" to even understand this analogy) now that he finally has a place in the world, he wonders how he can earn the respect of less intelligent beings (misty) who still hate people and animals for trivial and intangible things such as being "squirmy" as well as how he might leave some mark on a world filled with endless more caterpie and even more pokemon who may objectively be more useful than himself. ultimately, he seems to decide that evolving may be his only way of being truly useful to a trainer inexperienced enough to not even know that caterpie is almost worthless and possibly so is even butterfree.
Edited by Badnikstan
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ruins? What ruins? :| The only thing close was that (probably abandoned) factory.

It don't look like a ruined factory to me much. That would be odd anyways, our ruined factories have always only been shut down.

I like how the female character has the lightest clothing. Sugimori seems to do that alot.

Am I lame for never picking the female character, XD? I just feel detached if I'm a character with boobs. I like to think that I'm sort of in the game, and when the main character is a female, it's hard for me to feel attached, XP. That said, I'll be choosing Black (however, he should have been a black guy just for kicks).

-Blur

I always pick the pokemon males as well. Most games where I create a character I make dudes too.

I'm actually liking the new starters. The lizard wins for me though, I actually own a pet gecko (called Treecko actually) so I have a certain fondness for it already. I actually like otter boy, I think he needs a little love.

Loving the girls hair, can't say the cut-off shorts bother me, people wear them all the time here and Misty wore a pair that were just as small anyway.

My baby:

post-1068-12737420289194_thumb.jpg

Because of the fact that I usually buy two or more titles from each generation, as of R/S I've played as the dude in my "main" title and played as the girl in the other title. Most recently I played as Dawn in Platinum and Ethan in SoulSilver, for example.

As much as I like Black I'll end up picking White. I tend to play as the female trainers most often (because they're cute). Also her hair is awesome. Last time I played as a male was Red in FR.

And don't worry Prof, transferring from GenIV to GenV is confirmed, how it'll work I don't know, but that's the only way to get the Shiny Legendary Beasts over so you can catch Zoroark, lol.

Seems like Serebii got his hand on more scans, here's some of the best:

hiuncity.jpgvszoroark.jpg

starterbattle1.jpgstarterbattle2.jpg

Nice to finally see some more battle screens.

Edited by SuperLink

I am really liking those camera angles in those shots. I most likely be playing as Black. I always play as the male trainer. Sometimes the girl if only for the lulz.

According to those who've translated the articles, the new trainers are officially between the ages of 15 and 18. [Note: Elsewhere I'm seeing people claim they're between 16 to 18 or "about 17" but I can't find a source to support that yet.] So, depending on the original Japanese dialogue (which apparently compared to the English version is utterly filthy), expect them to be 18 in the localised versions to siphon attention away from the Moral Guardians' collective radar.

...I don't see it, myself. The chick looks just about 15 and that's me being generous.

Oh, and I'll just leave this here. I can't confirm if that's legit but if so it's long overdue and I'm ecstatic.

Of course it's fake. The screenshot is using the Platinum battle scene.

I'm not liking how the text box is now covering up your Pokemon's back sprite, even if it's now transparent. I didn't have any problems with the dimensions from the last game. And wouldn't reading the text be difficult with a Pokemon whose backside is pure white?

I'm not liking how the text box is now covering up your Pokemon's back sprite, even if it's now transparent. I didn't have any problems with the dimensions from the last game. And wouldn't reading the text be difficult with a Pokemon whose backside is pure white?

On some of the screenshots there's no text at all, so I think it appears from time to time, like when an attack is being used, and most of the time the transparent box is gone.

Atleast that's what it seems like.

Also keep in mind that back sprites are now full body, not just upper half.

I played as Leaf in LG because she's the best female design and I was planning on getting FR (which never happened), and... whatever that bitch's name was in Emerald because I really did not like the dude's design (I didn't like hers either, but it was the lesser of the two evils). After that I stuck with males, and I will be sticking with the guy in this one, even though the female one reminds me of Amy Winehouse, haha.

I like making female mooks over males ones though in games like Disgaea. But in those games my most used characters are Laharl, Ash, and Zetta, so I guess I'm a faggot.

On some of the screenshots there's no text at all, so I think it appears from time to time, like when an attack is being used, and most of the time the transparent box is gone.

Atleast that's what it seems like.

Also keep in mind that back sprites are now full body, not just upper half.

The point is the text box is there to tell you what's happening, and reading it might be difficult if you're using something like Pachirisu. All this new arrangement has accomplished was shove your own Pokemon's sprite to the very edge of the screen, which doesn't look as good and defeats the purpose of giving your Pokemon full body back sprites.

I actually like the new camera for the battles. Besides the modern look to it, I think it might make the battles a bit more engaging. However, I do agree that the new transparent text boxes might be a bit of an issue, but I've got a feeling that after a few battles one will get used to it.

The point is the text box is there to tell you what's happening, and reading it might be difficult if you're using something like Pachirisu. All this new arrangement has accomplished was shove your own Pokemon's sprite to the very edge of the screen, which doesn't look as good and defeats the purpose of giving your Pokemon full body back sprites.

Keep in mind the battles will use a dynamic camera, meaning the sprites will probably move a bit as the battle goes on. They won't always be forced off the screen.

Think of it this way, in most gens the text box is there all the time, and you can only see half of your Pokémon's body because of it. This time they move around, and most of the time you'll probably be able to see their full body.

As for the writing being hard to see, I'm sure that won't be a problem. How stupid do you think GameFreak are? Not stupid enough to make unreadable text in the most important part of a game series they've been making for ~15 years, oh no.

Edited by SuperLink