Awoo.

Pokèmon Black & White Discussion

PSI Wind

A lot of people I've been talking to were trying to imply that I was incredibly shallow for being primarily concerned with the aesthetics of the Pokemon even though that's essentially what brought me into the series in the first place and the main reason I played/enjoyed Gen I and II. 'The new Pokemon aren't bad, you're older/wearing nostalgia goggles' and whatnot. I'm not sure what ratio of people agree or disagree with this, but I personally find it to be a rather irksome generalization.

I purposefully 'spoiled' all of Pokemon Black/White for myself in the hope that I would find a decent amount (or just enough) stuff to grab me and interest me enough to partake in another Pokemon adventure, because, well.. I like Pokemon.

I criticize a lot of the more recent decisions made in regards to it and it's not my favorite video game series in the world, but in the end I am a fan of it. I'm not trying to be the guy who just sits around and tries to kill the excitement for other people. I don't think I would have gone out of my way to find out new information about the new titles long before they hit the shelves in the US if I wasn't actively searching for reasons to play them.

I'm just very vocal (to a rather annoying extent, I know) in my disappointment. Black/White disappoints me because I don't find find enough Pokemon appealing to me aesthetically to prompt a purchase/playthrough of it.

Gen V has its good ones. I won't deny this. I can at least make up a team of new Pokemon that I'd be rather satisfied with by the time I get to the Elite Four, but then there's a question of how long in between each one before I have my 'dream team' and I'm not sure I care enough to play it and figure out said details before I just generally get bored of wandering around tackling the same tasks as Gen I and II but with a distinct lack of Pokemon in the wild I want to catch.

Not sure what the goal of this post was for me. I just felt like making it maybe to explain myself to some people. XP

I wonder if you notice the similarity between this and something else on this forum.

More competitive thoughts here, feel free to ignore.

Blaziken has brought to my attention that the (majority of the) Dream World abilities most likely will not be released until they come out in-game - and there's the possibility that they may not come out at all. A similar thing happened last gen with Arceus' Azure Flute - the item was programmed into the 4th gen games but was never actually released.

The Dream World is just screaming for an alternate ladder, though, one that IMO would be best started with the former tiers of the 4th Gen. and eventually banning new Pokés or Pokés with new abilities that are deemed too powerful.

WHYYY MUST WE NOT HAVE SPEED BOOST BLAZIKEN OR REGENERATION HO-OH

Even more competetive ramblings here, ignore this one if you're not interested.

Anyway, I reckon that a part of this is down to the fact that Smogon reckons that the metagame will shift far too much with some of these new abilities. One particular offender to this is Shadow Tag Shandera. Now put it this way, you come in on something like Blissey that only runs Seismic Toss as an attacking move. Then you get a Substitute up as it tries to status you. Then Calm Mind up to +6 while Blissey just waits around doing nothing, and then slowly burn Blissey to death. This could possibly work well with something like Speed Boost Blaziken with Baton Pass (Albeit Blissey isn't exactly switching in on Blaziken any time soon) so you can not only be strong and specially bulky, but extremely fast as well. And when combined with 145 base special attack (9 less than Mewtwo and 5 less than Kyogre, Dialga, Palkia and Reshiram for those who don't know) everything is going to die that isn't called Heatran. (And even then thanks to Shandera being a superior Heatran in nearly every way anyway he isn't exactly relavent anymore.) Overconfidence/Earthquake Spiral/Whatever it translates out to Salamence could have the potential to wreck teams as well, considering Salamence's easy time killing Pokés as it is, and now whenever it does it will get a boost for it. Sure, it'll be forcing less switches with this new ability thanks to Intimidate crippling near enough any physical attacker,, but the easy power boosts Salamence will get from it, especially if it's DD mence, will get from it's new ability, it will be well worth it. Gyarados also gets this ability, and it will also enjoy the power boosts, however Gyarados wasn't Uber last gen, and I doubt that this will be enough to push him up a tier this time, because of the fact that at least with Gyarados, it's pretty slow. Drought Ninetales and Drizzle Politoed will also shake things up a lot as well, as now rain and sun have easy ways to be set up which it couldn't previously have, thanks to these 2 abilities only belonging to Ubers previously. (One of which couldn't even make much use of it.) Hydration Vaporeon, which is argueably outclassed by that new Water/Ghost Pokémon now, will still be a very good walling Pokémon, thanks to it's gargantuan HP and passable special defense, and could be a good Wish passer, since now Wish apparently gives the reciever half of the wisher's HP instead of hal of the reciever's HP, meaning that the recievers would be getting 202 HP a wish, which is a lot more than what most of them would get. If this is indeed true, Blissey will be an amazing wish passer, as it will be able to nearly fully heal most Pokémon with a wish thanks to it's sky high HP. I brought this one up earlier, but Speed Boost Blaziken is another Poké that is metagame changing as well, as thanks to his high attack stat, and STAB 130 base power Hi Jump Kick it can OHKO things that resist that move after a Swords Dance, even Pokés that resist it and have decent physical bulk like Latias and Salamence. Damp Swampert would be a big change to the lead metagame thanks to things like Azelf and Metagross no longer being able to use Explosion against it, but Swampert can't have Stealth Rock with Damp, so sadly Damp won't help it that much, but I suppose near enough anything is better than Torrent. Justice Heart Lucario seems like it could be good as well, giving Lucario an even better reason to switch in on dark type attacks now that he gets an attack boost from them. The lack of flinch immunity doesn't really hurt Lucario either as none of the flinching moves really hurt Lucario anyway. Along with all of the new Pokés, some of which are really good and will take a while to adapt to, these abilities may make the adaption process to the new metagame take even longer, and maybe they're just waiting until things settle down before the new abilities are introduced.

...That or I'm just trying to convince myself that this is what they're doing so that I can keep up my hopes that I can finally use my favourite Pokémon in OU. D=

Also Regeneration Ho-Oh is definitely going to be OU, so it's lack of that might even drop it down to BL, thanks to it being so rubbish thanks to it's Stealth Rock weakness. [/sarcasm]

Cheren's Fifth Battle w/ Tagteam Match & Team Plasma Encounter 7:

Edited by PSI Wind FTW!

So Zorua and Zoroark are seriously only available through event? I want them so bad, >=.

-Blur

Yeah, it's been known that they're event only Pokémon for a while. The GTS is always an option to get one though, as you are required to see a Zoroark since

N has one

so you'll have it in your Pokédex, so you should be able to search for one on the GTS.

Had to fix this because you can only post 2 videos per post so:

Gym Leader #5: Yakon

SPECIAL VIDEO #1-Zoroark Event:

I really have to say the non-story related Legendary Pokemon Battle (roamers and event Pokemon like Victini) music is my favorite Legendary music in a long time.

My friend has the Japanses White version... and completed it!

PAH. I completed the Japanese version of Black more than a week ago.

Edited by Hero Of Fate

That legendary music... pfff. I'm so sorry, but when I hear it, I think of the old school yoshi sound, which makes me picture Yoshis singing.

... That being said, it's trippy.

That legendary music... pfff. I'm so sorry, but when I hear it, I think of the old school yoshi sound, which makes me picture Yoshis singing.

... That being said, it's trippy.

I can't unhear it now. Thanks. Take this in return:

tooth.jpg?1267073881

And this

Edited by Blue Blood

THIS JUST FUCKING IN.

One alternate C-Gear skin is named "AIM FOR THE TOP! Pikachu C-Gear Pattern".

I fucking love Game Freak now.

Oh my fucking god @ that Diglett picture. My life is ruined.

Also wow, discussion on this game really died since the JP release.

Well at this point speculation is void and all that remains is to be actually able to purchase the game ourselves.

...pleasesoonpleasesoonplease

I suppose =\

Hey, Psi, are there any new Ribbons in this game at all? I got into the habit of trying to get as many as possible on my main team members in DPPtHGSS and would love to know if there are any new ones to collect.

I'm convinced that 90% of the time it takes to localize these games comes from the translators trying to get half-decent puns worked out for each Pokemon's name. I'm all for getting my hands on Black and White as soon as possible, but I'm willing to let Nintendo take their time if it minimizes the number of names like Rhyperior we'll have to endure. Bllllrgh.

Edited by Octarine

I suppose =\

Hey, Psi, are there any new Ribbons in this game at all? I got into the habit of trying to get as many as possible on my main team members in DPPtHGSS and would love to know if there are any new ones to collect.

I'll see if the Pokemon Musical gives one tommorow.

There's one ribbon I know of. There's a woman that gives your Pokemon the Effort Ribbon once they're reached maximum total EVs.

So, I checked out the Pokemon Musical. Sadly, it seems it's just for fun (No Ribbons). I did like it though and the combinations can be funny.

Smugorda.jpg

Or AWESOME!

Gym Leader #6 VS Furou and Cheren's Fourth Battle:

Edited by PSI Wind FTW!
  • Thumbs Up 1

So, I checked out the Pokemon Musical. Sadly, it seems it's just for fun (No Ribbons). I did like it though and the combinations can be funny.

Smugorda.jpg

Or AWESOME!

Gym Leader #6 VS Furou and Cheren's Fourth Battle:

LOL. Smuggestleaf just got smuggier, XD. I'm not a real big fan of any of this in the Pogeymenz game, but that's awesome, XP.

-Blur

So there's no new Ribbons? That's shit ;_;

There might still be ribbons. I remember seeing PSI testing it, and he seemed to have came in last during the Pokémon musical, (From what I could tell, I can't read Japanese) so there still might be hope for ribbons in the game. For the past 2 gens you also obtain a ribbon for beating the champion as well, and I'd be shocked if they just dropped that now.