Awoo.

Pokèmon Black & White Discussion

PSI Wind

• 1 month later...

I love that they're still bothering to pretend that we haven't known about these Pokemon for months now. It's kinda cute, really.

Y'know, as much as it bothers me that these translations always take so long, I have to concede that revealing the new Pokemon twice is a nice way of maintaining hype. I'm feeling all jittery again...

It's going to be genuinely weird to know the starters as anything other than Smugleaf, Pignite and Wotter.

I agree that Nintendo should just keep these as the official names but since they're such DICKS I know they won't ;_;

I'll get shot for this, but I'm kinda glad that I'll finally have real names to call the things rather than the fan-given names.

And as for me, I won't ever be used to calling them anything but their Japanese names.

Ah Mijumaru, Tsutaaja, and Pokabu... even though I don't know how to spell you properly I will love you nonetheless.

Edited by Team Rocket Grunt

Nintendo'll never be able to top the starters' fan nicknames. I can do without some of the others I've seen, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

No offense, but I think they'd be able to top them easily. Smugleaf is an especially stupid name, and Wotter isn't that great either. I suppose Pignite is charming, but that's the only one that is.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh don't you lie, you know Wotter is incredibly clever. Smugleaf, honestly, is a pretty dumb name but it's so ingrained into my mind that it's difficult to imagine it as anything else. Pignite is definitely the most realistic possibility for an official name.

One of the translators of the games these days is a Goon who has a habit of sneaking in hilariously awesome stuff into the script. I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of the names matches the fan nickname.

Yeah,want the whole deal with that hoon guy that he got fired and was telling the world tales of translation because of the firing? Whatevs I hope they keep pignite! I have no real attachment to the others so they can be whatever.

http://serebii.net/index2.shtml

Nintendo have today announced the official names for the starter Pokémon in Black & White. These three Pokémon are the ones with which you will be starting your game and follow the same Grass/Fire/Water cycle as before. The names are as follows. First, the Grass-type starter Tsutarja shall henceforth be known as Snivy which is a portmanteau of the words "Snake" & "Ivy". The Fire-type Pig Pokémon, Pokabu, is to be known in English language countries as Tepig which is a play on the word "Tepid" bringing "Pig" into the fold and finally the Water-type sea otter, Mijumaru, is to be called Oshawott, the full meaning of which we are trying to determine but it does include a derivation of otter. The region of Isshu has also been named as the Unova Region. The entire site has been updated to reflect this announcement or click the names to go to their Pokédex entries to see their stats as well as their evolutions

Well there your Pokemon Black & White starter names folks feel free RAGEEE over the names if you want to =P

Edited by Shaddix da Immortal Enigma

Shame Smugleaf didn't survive, but Snivy actually is a kinda cool name IMO. Tepig... well, meh. Not bad, not good. Oshawott... I have no idea what to make of that one.

in b4 RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE

Edited by Spin

Snivy is... kinda okay, I suppose...? :huh:

Overall though I don't think too much of these names. They don't seem to be nearly as clever or original as they should be. I mean, Oshawott? Really?

At least we can still nickname them. If only we could give them a top hat too, then I could truly live without worry.

Edited by Doctor MK

It's a little weird that they changed the region's name... I mean, the only previous region to get a name change was Shin'ou to Sinnoh, and even that was pretty minor.

As for the starter names, Tepig and Oshawott will definitely take some time to get used to. Especially Oshawott, eesh. Snivy is awesome, though. Snake? Snide? Ivy? All in one package? I heartily approve.

What the hell does Oshawott mean? It doesn't even make any sense. And Tepig is cool but - isn't tepid like lukewarm? Rather than boiling fire? Snivy is alright I guess.

Guess they'll just have to grow on me. They better not fuck up Daikenki's name, as that is one of the most badass motherfuckers in BW.

Snivy I like, but Tepig and especially Oshawott are just beyond odd. Change from the Isshu translation to Unova is ok with me.