Awoo.

Pokèmon Black & White Discussion

PSI Wind

Oshawott...? OSHAWOTT? What the hell kind of name IS that? T__T Tepig doesn't sound too great either. D=

I do like Snivy though, it's got a cool ring to it.

Found Serebii's source via Pokebeach.com. The game's english website updated:

http://www.pokemonblackwhite.com/en-us/the-starter-pokemon/

You get to decide which Pokémon you'll begin your adventure with. There are three Pokémon for you to select from: the Grass-type Snivy, the Fire-type Tepig, and the Water-type Oshawott. Choose the Pokémon you like the most—it will be with you through thick and thin as you explore the Unova region!

The three starter Pokémon all have different types. Your knowledge of the strengths and weaknesses of these types will be put to the test early and often!

I was waiting for Pokemon.com to update instead XD

Love the English logos. Sorry if already been posted, but it's the first I've seen of them.

black-white-english-logos.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, tepid doesn't exactly bring forward mental images of incinerating heat. More like just warm enough to drink without getting burned coffee. Lol, nintendo. I like snivy, though the otter's name is just weird.

Um... Nope not feeling it with Oshawott or Tepig.

Though, Snivy is allright. To me it does have a 'smugish' sound to it.

Snivy really really fits. Even if not part of the name, it sounds like snide. Good choice.

Tepig fits sort of, but it's rather boring. Like "Coldog" for an ice dog or "Electricat" for something like Shinx.

Oshawott is bloody awesome. Dunno where the hell the "osha" part comes from but the fact that "wott" made it in there simply rules.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just noticed Pokebeach's update has more info:

• Isshu region: Unova Region (Latin words “Unum” + “Nova,” which mean “One New”)
  • Zekrom will be known as the Deep Black Pokemon with the Teravolt ability.
  • Reshiram will be known as the Vast White Pokemon with the Turboblaze ability.

http://pokebeach.com/2010/11/isshu-starters-english-names-revealed

Snivy must have been such a damn easy call. I actually like Tepig and Oshawott quite a bit, even though I have no idea of what the hell "Oshawott" is even supposed to mean. As far as Tepig goes, mixing climate based terms into the fire starter's name was clever. Now the big thing is the region name, I wonder why they drastically changed it. However, it's not like Unova sounds bad, it's actually has a nice ring to it.

Edited by Hero Of Fate

Well at least the logos are cool and I do like the name ''Unova''.

Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova.

I think the English team wanted to keep up that trend, but they also made it three syllables. Personally I think Unova sounds like "look @ how kewl we r" sort of name. They should have changed the last letter so it became "Issho.

Edited by Blue Blood

Snivy sounds like a pretty nice name, very fitting for him. It can just be interpreted as Snake and Ivy, however the sn part of his name could be interpreted as something related to his personality, like snide or snarky, both of which Snivy seems like he could have for a personality judging from his appearance. So it's still Smugleaf, in a sense that the name can be interpreted as a personality and a plant, but in a less stupid basic sounding way.

Tepig....meh. I suppose the whole factor of tepid meaning luke warm could be used in a clever way, as the suffix for fire in Tepig's evolutions could get words that mean hotter intensities of heat as it evolves more. I don't really care about any of Tepid's evolutions, or Tepid itself, so I don't really care that it got a bad name. :V

Oshawatt has my reaction in it's name.

I don't see the point of drastically changing the reigon though, especially a change as drastic as that. Isshu rolled off the tongue better as well IMO, and was easier to remember.

• Thumbs Up 1

The region is explained in my earlier post with the quote from Pokebeach.com:

• Isshu region: Unova Region (Latin words “Unum” + “Nova,” which mean “One New”)

http://pokebeach.com/2010/11/isshu-starters-english-names-revealed

Sounds like a good name thanks to the Latin meaning. I hope we get the meaning behind Oshawott soon though.

Snivy isn't bad, Tepig is fine. Oshawott is fucking retarded. Unova is just an unfortunate side-effect of translating the name to latin for flavor (like the Nox Nyctores from BlazBlue) and then making it sound worse.

They've never translated the region name before, have they? It seems pretty unnecessary, I think.

Oshawa. A Canadian city on the Lake Ontario shoreline. I dunno, Oshawa + Otter = Oshawott? It's the best I can get and it's stupid. Or maybe it's this. Occupational Safety Hazard Otter. Edited by Blue Blood

Oshawa. A Canadian city on the Lake Ontario shoreline.

I live less than an hour away from Oshawa. I'm going to think of Oshawa every time I hear Oshawott's name, no matter how much time has passed.

...I'm not sure if that's a bad thing or not, actually. It certainly helps keep it memorable.

Edited by Octarine

I like Sniny and Oshawott actually, Tepig just sounds awkward to me. It's like too much of a break-stop thing when you say it. When I saw Oshawott, I was thinking Ocelot, XD. I have not a clue what it means. It's almost as if it's a giant mix of ocean, water, and otter.

As for the region change, damn. I was getting used to Isshu, but I guess this is fine. I'm sure once I play the game and see some episodes occasionally, it'll feel all natural.

-Blur

How many of you guys wanna bet that the name of the first B&W episode is gonna be "Fresh start? Unova!" (As in "You know it!")

"DA- da-da- DA-DA"

Edited by Inferno

Jesus christ, why so much hate for Oshawott? I love it. And personally I found the name pretty easy to figure out: Ocean + Water + Otter.

Snivy is great since it could be Snide and Ivy which is basically just another way to say Smugleaf.

Tepid doesn't do it for a fiery pig, but it's not a terrible name.

Unova is a great idea actually. I was a bit annoyed at first because it's the only time the region's name was changed, but Isshu is based on America after all, so a less Japanese-sounding name makes sense. And it's meaning is pretty cool.

When I saw Oshawott, I was thinking Ocelot, XD.

Now I want someone to shop together a Revolver Oshawott. It's a good name for him since they got the otter part in there. Dude is totally my starter.

Have you guys looked at what they're being called in other countries? regginator3 at ONM forums just pointed out the official site's been updated for other regions too.

Select a language from here:

http://www.pokemonblackwhite.com/

Tepig is called Floink in Germany :lol:

Unova? Damn that's unfortunate, if only because the Internet has made me hate everything with the word nova in it thanks to fucking everything with some sort of fire relation being called Nova (that or Inferno lawl).

I guess they translated it since a Japanese sounding name would be weird for a region based on America, even if we did all get used to it pretty quickly.

Snivy and Oshawott are pretty bad-ass names, Oshawott is blatantly named after Metal Gear Solid's Ocelot.

Tepig just doesn't roll off the though, Pignite was actually a better name here IMO =\

EDIT: FUCK, can't believe an Oshawott and Ocelot comparison has already been posted, you've made me feel so cheated Wolfy xD

I like it better.

Also Zekrom was changed from the Black Yin pokémon to Deep Black pokémon, and Reshiram went from White Yang to Vast White.

Because we can't be having yin and yang in our children's games! Nice one, Game Freak.

Have you guys looked at what they're being called in other countries? regginator3 at ONM forums just pointed out the official site's been updated for other regions too.

Select a language from here:

http://www.pokemonblackwhite.com/

That name really makes me want to choose Tepig and nickname it Floink. It's awesome, just annoyingly similar to Spoink. 'spose that's why they didn't go for it. Oh well. Tepig still sucks because fire/fighting and looking terrible when fully evolved.

Now I want someone to shop together a Revolver Oshawott.

Allow Me..

brootheeer.jpg

as for the Names

Snivy: AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, it sounds like the Name for a Saturday Morning Cartoon Villain Henchmen. But otherwise it's Okay...ish

Tepig: I will forever read is as Tehpig. Also an Okay name, but just more of a Reason to Nickname it Pumbaa for me

OSHAWOTT: Oh wow, that name is Just so Silly, I don't hate it but still..

New Region Name: It's alright, but I would've preferred Isshu. Despite that, I can Like it.

and with that, I continue my Media Block Out..*Dissapears*

• Thumbs Up 3