Awoo.

Pokèmon Black & White Discussion

PSI Wind

Snivy: AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, it sounds like the Name for a Saturday Morning Cartoon Villain Henchmen. But otherwise it's Okay...ish

Snidely%2BWhiplash.png

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm not fussed over the starter names. Yes, they're retarded and I prefer the fan ones, but it was expected.

What I am raging over is the changed region name. Unova? Really, Nintendo? Why change a region name now? This is fucking mindblowing.

I think Unova is better than Isshu, it's a region based off the West. It should have a western sounding name.

Fair dos on something western, but it's still doesn't sound the part. It sounds Latin, giving the impression of somewhere European rather than American. Plus it's a stupid kewl name.

Hmm, I'll give you the necessity for changing it to a more Western name. But Unova in and of itself is a pretty retarded name, no matter the context.

It translates to "New One", so I don't know. People are probably just getting upset over the "Nova", which is too damn overused by people on the internet.

You could argue it could be anything considering Latin is the basis for all of the major western languages, even English.

Nah, it's just a rubbish name that sounds full on unfitting for an American environment. Like Tokyoshire sounds crap for a Japanese one.

So, some dude on another forum I frequent probably just discovered the meaning of life itself:

Also, what's the wordplay for "Unova?" All I'm seeing is UNited States O(V) America, but that seems like a stretch.
Edited by Inferno

Snivy is my favorite. That's perfect for me, as he is also my favorite of the starters. Tepig is okay, but Oshawott? It sounds like someone with a speech impediment trying to say "Ocelot". :lol:

Sorry, but I'm going to have to 1-up you real fast.

BOOYA~!

Now all we need is an image of "Solid Snivy" and "Tepig Boss" and the connection shall be complete. :lol: Edited by chaoscontrol14

Oshawatt sounds like a pretty...odd choice, but it'll grow on me. Sounds better than the fan name. lol

Did not expect the region name to change at all, but I think the English name sounds better, for some reason.

Who really cares about the Starters' basic name.

As long as their final evo's names are cool, its alright.

Unova? Eh its OK, then again, I personally can't think of an alternative name they could have given it.

Who really cares about the Starters' basic name.

Everyone.

I'll never forgive "Piplup" even if "Empoleon" is one of my favourite Pokémon names.

Edited by Blue Blood

Scroll to the bottom.

What.

This is pretty awesome, but still, what.

I was a bit surprised by that too. There was a press release about it earlier:

Bellevue, WA—November 23, 2010—Turkey, pumpkin pie and the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade®; Thanksgiving traditions shared by millions of Americans across the country. One Thanksgiving tradition is commemorating a milestone in 2010—Pikachu! The Pokémon Company International announced today that the world renowned Electric-type Pokémon™ will celebrate its 10th anniversary participating in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. Accompanying Pikachu in New York City will be two brand new Legendary Pokémon, Reshiram and Zekrom, from the highly anticipated Pokémon Black Version and Pokémon White Version video games launching worldwide spring 2011 for the Nintendo DS™ family of systems.

For their debuts, Reshiram and Zekrom will each stand an imposing 14 feet tall, a dramatic kick-off to exciting, never-before-seen Pokémon reveals, news and events all tied to the launch of Pokémon Black Version and Pokémon White Version video games. Pikachu’s balloon handlers will also celebrate the upcoming games, dressing the part in black and white uniforms.

“Pikachu’s participation in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade is one of our favorite events of the year and we’re proud to have been involved in such an iconic event over the past decade,” said J.C. Smith, director of Consumer Marketing for The Pokémon Company International. “Having Reshiram and Zekrom join the Pikachu balloon makes this year’s parade extra special for us as we begin to reveal more exciting details about the Pokémon Black Version and Pokémon White Version video games.”

In the coming weeks and months, Pokémon fans can get exclusive information about the brand new titles by visiting www.PokemonBlackWhite.com, launched this week. Exclusive details will be added frequently leading up to the spring launch of Pokémon Black Version and Pokémon White Version video games.

http://www.gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=143206

Damn, Bellevue is really close to me actually, 8D.

I wonder how rapidly they are going to release the English names of the other Pokemon, =/.

-Blur

Now THAT's promotion! They're really hyping up Black/White. Now I have two reasons to make sure I catch the parade this year: Power Rangers: Samurai and Reshiram/Zekrom! :D

My thoughts on Unova, posted on Retro.

That's also a possibility for the rename [to retain the "o" sound] , I didn't really think about that. You have Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh, then suddenly Isshu? C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER.

Also, I just realized the translation isn't random, Isshu meant "one variety". They tried to make a close translation with all of them. If anyone looked at all the translations (it's actually different in not just America), they all translate to have "one" in it. New One/One New (which can also roughly translated to "One variety") in the US, One Soul in Italy (Unima), One All in Germany (Einall). Also, Unova kind of makes sense when we remember that all of the U.S.'s old Federal mottos are in Latin "E pluribus unum" which means "Out of many, One". Holy shit, they actually did get clever with it.